日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Good to hear from you - sorry it's been so tough. Look after yourself!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying daily: Classical Syriac, Korean, Tatar
Studying weekly/on-and-off: Chechen, Setswana, Belarusian, Afrikaans
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Same goes for Лето, a movie about the band Кино. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The actual band parts were kind of good but also nowhere in the movie did you get the idea that this was actually a significant band. But the overall movie was rad, a lot more positive than I had anticipated, and I absolutely recommend it! Totally not what I was expecting.

Yeah, the movie doesn't really give a good idea of just how iconic Kino and Viktor Tsoi in particular were and in many ways still are, mainly because it's based on the events of their early years as a band (with the slightly longer historical timeline condensed into the events of a single summer), back when they were semi-underground and "widely known in narrow circles" at best. My dad, who actually went to concerts in the original Leningrad Rock Club, says that the movie captured the feel of the era really well, even if it did play a little loose with the details (though to be fair, a few of the people who were involved in the actual events strongly disagreed with the portrayal). I think Tsoi's brief cameo at the end of the movie Assa (Асса, 1987) gives an idea of the image he projected closer to the height of his fame and what he is still remembered as.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Speak well: ES, DE, RU, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), FI, BG, EUS
Dabbling in: Malay
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

Well...

Turns out that I was not just 'burned out' (words I use regularly when it comes to language learning specifically) but too damn close to an actual burn out (work and private life related). I am doing slightly better (the nice weather certainly helps). I took a break from most things with the exception of work. I'm still taking it easy, trying not to take on too many obligations. I still get extremely tired when I have several things going on and have to manage my energy.

I admire you for this. I am chronically unable to do that kind of thing, and consequently it means my anxiety plays up more.
0 x
Ich stehe zwischen zwei Welten, bin in keiner daheim und habe es infolgedessen ein wenig schwer.
Preferred pronouns: feminine.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Russian (A2.2), Arabic
Maintaining: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), German
Dabbling in: Ainu, Mandarin
Probably lost: Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1104

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 am

Super quick update:
    - Mental state is slightly better thanks to the arrival of summer - that really does help. Still not doing amazing, still doing the bare minimum everything.

- It's been over a month and I never mentioned it here but: I passed Russian A2.2!

- In the plot twistiest plot twist to ever twist plots: I am going to start an intensive summer course in Arabic. For work, no less. 3 weeks in August, up to level A1.2. Funnily enough learning Arabic was a jokey bucket list thing (gotta catch'em all!) but I didn't envision it happening for another few years. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it's handed to me, though! My main reason for picking it up is because I want to be able to understand at least the bare minimum (again, for work purposes, and more isn't needed) and be able to read the script. Right now I don't have the ambition to be completely serious about it (although who knows - I might end up absolutely loving it) so I don't think I'll continue after those three weeks. But we'll see!

- In other words: main focus is still Russian. Confession: haven't touched it since passing the exam at the end of May. Ahem.
Last edited by brilliantyears on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 x
Russian ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 2 / 50
Japanese ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 11 / 50
Ainu STV Radio course: 8 / 52

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

brilliantyears wrote:Super quick update:
    - In the plot twistiest plot twist to ever twist plots: I am going to start an intensive summer course in Arabic. For work, no less. 3 weeks in August, up to level A1.2. Funnily enough learning Arabic was a jokey bucket list thing (gotta catch'em all!) but I didn't envision it happening for another few years. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it's handed to me, though! My main reason for picking it up is because I want to be able to understand at least the bare minimum (again, for work purposes, and more isn't needed) and be able to read the script. Right now I don't have the ambition to be completely serious about it (although who knows - I might end up absolutely loving it) so I don't think I'll continue after those three weeks. But we'll see!

My course doesn't start until August, but since it's an intensive course and I also have to work the remaining hours of each day, I started preparing by learning Arabic script (with a little help of Duo). Hopefully I can get far enough so I can study some vocab ahead of time as well (bless the person who has created a Memrise deck for the book we're going to be working with!).
Last edited by brilliantyears on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:53 am

Arabic course starts next week - still trying to get the script down. I wonder if there's going to be a 6 Week Challenge starting in August (err, today? whelp I didn't even realise it's August already) but I guess everything points to 'no'? Would be nice to do one for Arabic to get the most out of this course.

Of course, the great irony is that now that my Arabic course is about to start (and it's going to be intense), I'm suddenly feeling very motivated about Russian again :lol: :roll: :( I don't think I can (mentally) afford to do both at the same time though, so yeah. I might stick to just doing a little Russian reviewing on Memrise to catch up before (hopefully) classes start again in September. I'm only about 900 reviews behind :roll:
Mini-bonus-Russian-thingy: spoke some Russian in Italy last week.

I also kind of want to go back to Ainu. Why is everything I do always all or nothing?! :roll:

Dear self: 100% Arabic for the next 3+ weeks, please?

Oh, and completely forgot to mention this before, but finished reading Momo by Michael Ende in German back in June. So good! And very satisfying to read (honestly it was a breeze).
Last edited by brilliantyears on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 am

Had my first Arabic class yesterday. Our teacher is pretty great so far, and class was interesting enough! But it's fascinating how different languages affect me differently. Where I fell head over heels in love with Russian from the very first moment, I feel somewhat weary about Arabic. This might just be the result of my general mood lately. I've got another 14 3-hour classes to go, so we'll see :)
I'm tracking my hours/study progress, just in case the 6 Week Challenge is returning on time :)

I'm now appreciating Russian a lot more. It made me realise that I definitely don't want to give it up. I feel same deep love for it that I have for Japanese (and with that: loving frustration ;) ). I may not be using it daily, or working on it regularly, but I love it a lot and I want to keep it in my life. (Already considering the next trip east!)
3 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Signed up for the 6WC with Arabic :)
(Give me three weeks to get a head-start, then y'all can catch up :lol: )
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 pm

No interference between Russian and Arabic, apart from the fact I sometimes feel the urge to say и instead of و . Good, because I'm still catching up on my Russian Memrise reviews.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 am

It pains me to say this, but taking this intensive Arabic course was a mistake. I clearly wasn't as ready as I thought I was. My burn-out and depression are hitting me hard. Working, then doing three hours of class a day, then on top of that multiple hours of studying to prepare for next day's class... I've only had 4 classes, 11 more to go, and I don't know how I'll do it. Somehow, I suppose.
No surprise, it affects my enjoyment of the course and the language :(
2 x

Return to “Language logs”