日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Speak well: ES, DE, RU, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), FI, BG, EUS
Dabbling in: Malay
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus

Postby tarvos » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:10 am

Awwww. I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I have experience with it, but I hope you'll be feeling better soon!
0 x
Ich stehe zwischen zwei Welten, bin in keiner daheim und habe es infolgedessen ein wenig schwer.
Preferred pronouns: feminine.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Russian (A2.2), Arabic
Maintaining: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), German
Dabbling in: Ainu, Mandarin
Probably lost: Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1104

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:17 pm

I am not over the whole Memrise-Decks thing. To be honest, I am pissed off and I feel like an idiot for trusting a company, but all this time Memrise was my saving grace in language learning. I suck at learning vocabulary. Nothing has ever worked, no system, no app, until I got Memrise. I'm sour enough to genuinely wish Memrise will go bankrupt over this bullshit move.

I will be checking out Decks. I have decided I can deal with the lack of offline functionality. I am just hoping that the mobile site resembles the app and not the Memrise mobile site (but that's being too hopeful).

Still, I imported all the courses I wanted to keep to Anki. But the tags, the decks, everything is a huge mess. I don't even know where to begin to bring order to this chaos. I am too tired, and looking at this shitshow it just makes me want to cry and give up completely.
5 x
Russian ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 2 / 50
Japanese ½ SC Movies: 50 / 50 Books: 11 / 50
Ainu STV Radio course: 8 / 52

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm

brilliantyears wrote:I am not over the whole Memrise-Decks thing. To be honest, I am pissed off and I feel like an idiot for trusting a company, but all this time Memrise was my saving grace in language learning. I suck at learning vocabulary. Nothing has ever worked, no system, no app, until I got Memrise. I'm sour enough to genuinely wish Memrise will go bankrupt over this bullshit move.

I will be checking out Decks. I have decided I can deal with the lack of offline functionality. I am just hoping that the mobile site resembles the app and not the Memrise mobile site (but that's being too hopeful).

Still, I imported all the courses I wanted to keep to Anki. But the tags, the decks, everything is a huge mess. I don't even know where to begin to bring order to this chaos. I am too tired, and looking at this shitshow it just makes me want to cry and give up completely.

All of this. :cry: I want to like Anki, but memrise worked so well for me. I have years of content built up, all organised the way I wanted it. Like you I've moved it to Anki and now have no idea what to do with it. A lot of it is associated with particular times of my life, so it feels like such an emotional wrench.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Cèid Donn
Green Belt
Languages: native: eng-US; adv: gaelic. french; adv-int: irish, breton, german, spanish; int: welsh, indonesian, swedish; 6WC: russian; beg/dabbling: japanese, navajo, hawaiian, manx, yoruba, faroese. italian; eventually: darija; long ago: latin, biblical hebrew, ancient greek

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 pm

brilliantyears wrote:I am not over the whole Memrise-Decks thing. To be honest, I am pissed off and I feel like an idiot for trusting a company, but all this time Memrise was my saving grace in language learning.

I can relate. The whole reason I have a Pro membership is because Memrise offered me a "Please come back, here's a gift for you if you do" discount last year, and at the time I hadn't really been studying languages at all for a year and half. So I paid for a year of Pro at a bargain discount as a way to motivate me back into studying languages and it really helped me with that, especially being able to the use the app around my health issues that make using a PC difficult sometimes. I don't like Anki either, but my problem with moving my courses to Anki is bigger than that. Some of the courses I use I am able to import the words fine but not the audio and it's the audio I really need because I don't remember phonology and pronunciation very well unless I make myself listen and repeat words regularly. Some of my courses have used audio from Forvo (assuming I have the time and patience to go pick out audio for several thousands of words in different languages myself), but others, in particular my Indonesian courses, are using audio from a course I'd have to pay to access, and there is woefully little good-quality Indonesian audio for learners that's free online. I'm going to give Decks a try and see what happens--I'm mostly dreading the possibility of there being a bunch of compulsory ads (as someone who's Pro sub still has a few months left, that will really tick me off). But it does feel like a betrayal by Memrise to so many course creators and users who have made Memrise an important resource in their studies, because there are so few good options for what Memrise currently provides.
3 x

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9665

Postby Morgana » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:00 am

brilliantyears wrote:Still, I imported all the courses I wanted to keep to Anki. But the tags, the decks, everything is a huge mess. I don't even know where to begin to bring order to this chaos. I am too tired, and looking at this shitshow it just makes me want to cry and give up completely.
With the Memrise Course Importer add-on I had to re-import one deck to Anki a few times over while tweaking what I did with the tags/fields to get it the way I wanted. It was a pain and of course the deck was huge so each time I imported it again took forever. But it's an idea if you'd prefer to try to get things set up more to your liking.

With Anki you also have the option of changing note types (ie. how your cards display, what fields etc. each card has), as well as adding/deleting fields. Maybe this is all gibberish to someone who is not used to using Anki, but I promise you, as someone who hates apps and tech stuff it does become more familiar and manageable (if you should choose to use Anki).

Lastly, there was one of my own decks, 6,000+ cards, where over time I became unhappy with how I had set them up and spent months editing every single card until I'd gone through the whole deck. So, there's that option, as long as you're ok with just doing a little at a time, and being ok with it taking a very long time to work through. I'd suggest creating two subdecks in this case, one for cards you haven't edited and one for cards you have, and then keep them under one main deck so all of your reviews happen in one place.

Of course feel completely and entirely free to ignore all of this. I'm just sympathizing with your frustration at essentially being forced to move and providing the options in case they seemed workable. Good luck and sorry about the Memrise pain :(
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

I love that I'm not alone in my current Memrise-hate! Please, by all means use my log as a place to vent, it makes me feel better :lol:

I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have. It might be amazing, in which case I'm wasting my time on getting Anki configured the way I want it. Or it might be awful, in which case I have to hurry to continue importing my courses because we have no idea if we can do imports from Decks in the near future (I'm sure someone will write a script to do it at some later point)/

Also:
memrise.PNG
memrise.PNG (149.25 KiB) Viewed 185 times

To add insult to injury :roll:
3 x

dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I am just hoping that the mobile site resembles the app and not the Memrise mobile site

Most likely it won't. When they mentioned "mobile-friendly" I went to check what it means. Basically you're able to open the website using a browser app. If the website was "responsive" that would mean it'd adjust the content to the screen, but since it's just "mobile-friendly", things will appear small and a person will have to use the zoom in/out in order to see things properly. (source)

I'm sour enough to genuinely wish Memrise will go bankrupt over this bullshit move. (...)
I love that I'm not alone in my current Memrise-hate! Please, by all means use my log as a place to vent, it makes me feel better :lol:

I can join and bring some popcorn while we watch them realize soon how they chose poorly... :x :twisted:

I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have.

The only info (related to functionality) they gave was the features available/not available in Decks. I can only assume that it'll be like a copy paste of Memrise website, with the addition that a couple of pro features (listening skills and difficult words) will become free. On the other hand, offline mode and an app won't exist anymore (for Decks). The memrise app will be just for their official courses. All of this isn't looking good at all! :?

EDIT - I just went to the memrise forum and there could be some slim hope! We'll have to see about that... (source post) :shock:
I can say that we’ve heard the feedback about the lack of a mobile app/offline mode for Decks - it has led us to look again at that.
0 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm

dicentra8 wrote:
I guess my current frustration is that we have no idea what Decks is even going to look like and what functionality it'll have.

The only info (related to functionality) they gave was the features available/not available in Decks. I can only assume that it'll be like a copy paste of Memrise website, with the addition that a couple of pro features (listening skills and difficult words) will become free. On the other hand, offline mode and an app won't exist anymore (for Decks). The memrise app will be just for their official courses. All of this isn't looking good at all! :?

EDIT - I just went to the memrise forum and there could be some slim hope! We'll have to see about that... (source post) :shock:
I can say that we’ve heard the feedback about the lack of a mobile app/offline mode for Decks - it has led us to look again at that.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh no, I don't want to get too hopeful :shock:
(That entire post is... fascinating, to say the least.)
3 x

dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 pm

brilliantyears wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh no, I don't want to get too hopeful :shock:

Me neither. :( I'll try to avoid thinking about it and just wait for them to release the website.
0 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Well...

Turns out that I was not just 'burned out' (words I use regularly when it comes to language learning specifically) but too damn close to an actual burn out (work and private life related). I am doing slightly better (the nice weather certainly helps). I took a break from most things with the exception of work. I'm still taking it easy, trying not to take on too many obligations. I still get extremely tired when I have several things going on and have to manage my energy.

I kind of miss the forum and I want to come back permanently at some point but tracking stuff is too much pressure right now :?

Still, a quick language update...

Russian: I did not quit Russian classes, although I have been putting in pretty minimal effort. We had a small practice exam in class last week and honestly we were all far behind, so I'm slowly trying to up my Russian game. The fact Memrise has reviewed their changes has helped my mood significantly.
I still do so love the language! I might see if I can squeeze in a city trip to somewhere Russian-speaking some time later this year... (recommendations for cheap destinations are welcome!)

Japanese: I FINISHED HARRY POTTER B######! 8-) Now I can finally drop the language. (j/k, obviously)

German: I've got good (work related) reasons to do some serious maintenance on my German, but I have no idea how to go about it yet. Went to Germany for work and had absolutely no problem understanding and communicating. I'm currently reading Momo by Michael Ende and it's easy. I really only need to work on my (written) grammar.

Mandarin: Mandarin? Yes, Mandarin. No great ambitions, but after years of wanting to go I've finally booked a trip to Taiwan for October! Might do a little DuoLingo to brush up my knowledge but that's it. (Classical vs simplified is not a problem.)

SC update:

Japanese (half challenge)
Reading: 11.1 books, 557 pages (total)
15 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 25 pages
16 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 54 pages

Watching: 58 films, 5,224 minutes (total)
06 Feb 2019 るろうに剣心 -明治剣客浪漫譚- 維新志士への鎮魂歌
15 Feb 2019 ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 disc 4 48 minutes
02 Mar 2019 僕らの愛の奏で 71 minutes

--

Russian (half challenge)
Reading: 2.8 books, 140 pages (total)

Watching: 57.7 films, 5,196 minutes (total)
06 Apr 2019 the white crow 127 minutes
20 Apr 2019 Лето 126 minutes

The White Crow had a lot more Russian than I was expecting, although I can do without Ralph Fiennes' Russian mumbling. Still, quite a beautiful movie.
Same goes for Лето, a movie about the band Кино. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The actual band parts were kind of good but also nowhere in the movie did you get the idea that this was actually a significant band. But the overall movie was rad, a lot more positive than I had anticipated, and I absolutely recommend it! Totally not what I was expecting.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”