日本語 + Русский + norsk (part 1, CLOSED)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: 日本語 + Русский + norsk (6WC)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 pm

brilliantyears wrote:
Norwegian
My The Mystery of Nils book arrived so I started working on that. I finished the first two chapters. I want to make sure to study the vocab (that is, the words I didn't know yet) before I continue with chapter 3, but so far it's... really easy. Oh, Norwegian :) I'm also really enjoying the method. I think it'll keep me motivated.

I’ve been curious about this course (Nils) and the second installment for some time, so I look forward to your thoughts on it, brilliantyears, as you get further in.

Good luck with the rest of the 6WC. Watch your back, though, I just might join with a day to go and study sixty trillion hours of Norwegian in one day (ummm, how’s that possible? :? ) becoming fluent 100000000 times over and becoming more Norwegian than the most Norwegian person in history and thereby wiping your 6wc score and everyone else’s off the face of the planet! :twisted: I’ll get like awards and trophies, trophy wives, trophy dogs, cats and serpents... même quelques trophees d’éléphants. See how cool I am, slipping some French in like that. Pfft, sophisticated, you don’t stand a chance against, like me.

Seriously, good luck with the challenge and I hope you fall in love with Norwegian and learn heaps and stacks and loads of things, like words an’ that, for realz.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:32 am

I love that I can still catch plenty of words/sentence structures I know, even though my Korean is rubbish.

That's pretty much how I feel about Korean
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:55 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
brilliantyears wrote:Oh no, did I fuck up? I'm pretty sure at least some Norwegian was spoken and its language is marked 'Norwegian' everywhere :? Oh well, I've got a long way to go, I'm not denying that :lol:

No no, you were correct that "they speak Swedish at some points". I haven't seen the movie - only the trailer you posted. But I can confirm that Swedish is spoken by Stellan Skarsgård (whom I could hear and see). Norwegian: 0:25-0:26 (Bjørn Floberg), 1:10-1:20, (Tobias Santelmann), 1:30-1:37 (Tobias Santelmann again).

Keep it up!

Oh thank god :lol: Thanks for confirming!
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:57 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
brilliantyears wrote:
Norwegian
My The Mystery of Nils book arrived so I started working on that. I finished the first two chapters. I want to make sure to study the vocab (that is, the words I didn't know yet) before I continue with chapter 3, but so far it's... really easy. Oh, Norwegian :) I'm also really enjoying the method. I think it'll keep me motivated.

I’ve been curious about this course (Nils) and the second installment for some time, so I look forward to your thoughts on it, brilliantyears, as you get further in.

Good luck with the rest of the 6WC. Watch your back, though, I just might join with a day to go and study sixty trillion hours of Norwegian in one day (ummm, how’s that possible? :? ) becoming fluent 100000000 times over and becoming more Norwegian than the most Norwegian person in history and thereby wiping your 6wc score and everyone else’s off the face of the planet! :twisted: I’ll get like awards and trophies, trophy wives, trophy dogs, cats and serpents... même quelques trophees d’éléphants. See how cool I am, slipping some French in like that. Pfft, sophisticated, you don’t stand a chance against, like me.

Seriously, good luck with the challenge and I hope you fall in love with Norwegian and learn heaps and stacks and loads of things, like words an’ that, for realz.

You already win since I don't speak a word of French :( (j/k, I can actually guess this bit :lol: ).

I'm not super competitive this time around... yet :twisted:

I'll write more on Nils when I get a bit further in!
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: 日本語 + Русский + norsk

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 am

brilliantyears wrote:[blahblah 6WC]
My plans for now:
    [...]
    Post daily updates
    Inspired by Radioclare's impressive log :) I want to post a short update every day and see if I benefit from that.
Remember this one? :roll:

My 6WC isn't going fantastic. There have been days when I only spent 5 obligatory minutes on Norwegian on Duolingo and that's it.

Actually most of my language learning isn't going fantastic. Everything feels like a chore. I'm just in this mood where I want to sit inside, under a blanket, hot chocolate within reach, and just read books and watch movies :roll: I could probably incorporate language learning into it but for some reason it's not happening.

I guess my main block is that I'm really not in the mood for Memrise reviews (just looking at the # of reviews sends me into a bout of anxiety). Since most of my studying is at least partly based on that (I don't want to continue with Duolingo skills or Nils chapters without thoroughly learning the vocab) I somehow feel blocked from starting new stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's completely dumb.

I haven't been working on Russian as much as I should either, just minimal studying for classes. At least classes are going well, but I could have progressed so much more if I had just... tried harder. :(

Current 6WC stats:
Chinese 9h48
Norwegian 7h18
Russian 5h50
Japanese 4h0
Korean 2h12
Arabic 0h10

As for Chinese: I got sucked into this one donghua/live action and I'm actually picking up stuff from it. Interesting, since Chinese has never worked that way for me.
4 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:50 am

I let go of my perfectionism and actually got stuff done. I don't feel like doing Memrise reviews, so I simply don't do them. I finally managed to put in some decent time for Norwegian on Duolingo, and I plan to pick up Nils again later today.

Dropping Memrise for now is not a big deal since Norwegian vocab is so easily guessable anyway. I can manage the few unexpected words that pop up. The only fear I have is that Norwegian is going to go the same way as my German: I'll become very strong at passive understanding but weak in active use. But I'll deal with that when I get there.

Also been doing a ton of Russian homework this weekend. We got a book dedicated to the verbs of motion full of assignments from our teacher. The assignments are very repetitive but I think this may be exactly what I need to familiarise myself with the verbs.
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Why do you need memrise and duolingo if you feel it is a chore? I think duolingo is a waste of time (haven't tried memrise). Better to engage with real content like your book about Nils, and it is actually more fun. Since you know Dutch, German, and English, you should be able to read Norwegian easily, and if you can find audio content with transcript I would focus my attention on that.

That is at least my view, I admit heavily influenced by Steve Kaufmann's opinions on language learning.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm

I actually enjoy Duolingo. I don't think it's the be all end all (far from it), but it gives me some structure and it's accessible enough to be fun :)

It's Memrise that often becomes a chore. I like to use Memrise to get a firmer grasp of vocabulary, because I am really bad at learning and remembering words. But this was mostly the case with my other languages - the situation for Norwegian is different so I'm trying to let go of Memrise in this case. It's still useful to see and hear words often to remember the spelling and pronunciation. But I can guess most words and can probably pick up much of the language quite naturally.

It's interesting that you mention Kaufmann. I think it's more or less what I'm doing already, but also why I wrote this:
brilliantyears wrote:The only fear I have is that Norwegian is going to go the same way as my German: I'll become very strong at passive understanding but weak in active use. But I'll deal with that when I get there.
I don't really believe in "speaking first" either - combining all the skills seems to work best for me. Anyway, in less than two months I hope to actually utter some Norwegian, so we'll see how that goes :lol:
3 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 am

0 x

Return to “Language logs”