日本語 + Русский + norsk (part 1, CLOSED)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: brilliantyears' language log: Japanese, German, Mandarin

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:07 am

lichtrausch wrote:Learning a new script is probably my favorite part about learning languages. Too bad it only makes up like 1% of the language learning process with most languages. At least I got my money's worth from Japanese. :)

Confession: I am glad it's a language with an actual alphabet :lol: I can't imagine picking up yet another language like Japanese or Mandarin and having to continue learning the script for the rest of my life :|
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: brilliantyears' language log: 日本語, German, 中文, Manchu

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm still feeling a bit burned out on Japanese, although I try to at least immerse myself in native material. So, here's two more movies I watched recently.

Wonderful World End

I saw this movie at a Japanese film festival this weekend. I have no idea what to think about it. Both me and the friend I was with were super confused at the end :) But it's an interesting movie if youth culture is your thing. (Japanese knowledge is beneficial as it turned out to be impossible for the subbers to sub everything, in particular the net stuff)

Memories of Matsuko

This one I watched tonight and I love it. I think it's unfortunate they put that first sentence in the trailer (I can't even remember hearing that in the actual movie) because it changes the focus of the movie. The movie is much deeper than that first quote suggests... Anyway, I highly recommend watching this one. The acting, the colours, the music, the fashion, and of course the story, it's all incredibly well done.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: brilliantyears' language log: Japanese, German, Mandarin

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:38 pm

lichtrausch wrote:Learning a new script is probably my favorite part about learning languages. Too bad it only makes up like 1% of the language learning process with most languages. At least I got my money's worth from Japanese. :)

Me, too. In fact, I enjoy learning new scripts more than learning their language themselves.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Adam
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Mandarin Chinese (have been trying to learn for a long time)
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)
Other languages - learning the scripts of Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Burmese, Korean, Hindi; have dabbled in Spanish, Russian, and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1449

Postby Adam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:22 am

Classical Manchu!

I'm impressed 8-)
0 x
(The user formerly known as Adamdm or AdamDM2 on HTLAL)

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Very short update. Went on a short vacation to France (my first proper holiday to France, ever, I am embarrassed to say!). It was nice to take a week off from everything :) I hope I can get a bit more done now (although I'll be going on another trip this upcoming weekend :lol: this time to Athens).

During my vacation I finally finished the book I started reading at the start of September, さわらないで by Kiyomi Niitsu. It was a huge disappointment. The book is supposed to be a horror novel, and yes, near the end there is a plot twist that fits the book into this genre. But the rest of the book was boring, and the most horrifying thing was imagining having your ex-husband's mother living with you :roll:
Anyway, I finished this book a month late, and I don't think I'll be able to read another three books in Japanese this year, but we'll see.

I also watched another movie today, 愛のむきだし (Love Exposure, 2008). I adore wacky Japanese cinema, but this movie was a bit of a disappointment. Everyone seems to love this movie, and the first half was actually really good, but after that I started to lose interest. At 4 hours(!!) this movie is not for the faint hearted, and having half of it disappoint is too much :|

As for Manchu, I have to pick up my pace. But started doing a bit of translating work under supervision, and I'm loving this language more and more!
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: brilliantyears' language log: 日本語, German, 中文

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I'm back (sort of), after disappearing for such a long time. See the date on my previous log, October 2015? Shortly after my last post, I completely burned myself out :roll: It was so bad I had to drop everything (besides, you know, my actual paid job).

So what's up?

I have permanently dropped classical Manchu (with a heavy heart).

I haven't spent any time on Chinese in forever and doubt I will, for a while.

My German is in the same frozen state it has always been in :lol: It's not getting better, but it's definitely not getting worse either.

And while I did actually end up taking the JLPT N1 in London last year, it was a bit of a failure :? As is to be expected when you completely stop studying two months in advance, for an exam that was perhaps too difficult to begin with. I went to Japan in May/June of this year though, and at least in practice my Japanese was fine! Still able to speak relatively fluently, and reading stuff (from regular things to museum texts etc - we went to areas with very little to no English anywhere :) ) went really well too. So at least all the things I studied over the past year(s) have stuck well enough, even without much effort!

What am I going to do from here on? I have absolutely no clue. I am trying to slowly get back to doing things again.

I have no interest in studying for another JLPT. I was very happy with the state of my Japanese when I was in Japan, and I am not sure if I have any interest in seriously improving. I want to keep reading though. I am reading a little Japanese here and there, short stories mostly. I'm enjoying the reading and it is going well. And I would like to pick up some Memrise courses again, but they will be courses like that one Harry Potter course, nothing too serious. And I'll definitely be taking my time.

I want to gradually get back into studying languages, but just the idea of starting again and getting back into the rhythm is quite intimidating :?
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: brilliantyears' language log: 日本語, German, 中文

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:45 pm

brilliantyears wrote:I have permanently dropped classical Manchu (with a heavy heart).

Aw shucks, and I only just found out that there was another Manchu learner on the forum :(

Either way, good thing that you've retained your Japanese. Good luck in your future studies!

ume_waliyara.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: brilliantyears' language log: 日本語, German, 中文, 한국어

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 am

I hadn't been feeling well for a while now, completely unmotivated to do just about anything. But, things are finally going well again and I've got my groove back! I guess once you realise you're being sulky, you can stop sulking :roll: :lol:

I am trying to figure out where to go from here.

I have been evaluating for myself what my language goals actually are. Do I really want JLPT N1? It would be neat, sure... But what's much more important to me is keeping my Japanese functional. During my trip to Japan I realized my Japanese had not deteriorated as much as I feared (actually, it was just fine). So for now my goals are: use my Japanese, even if just passively. I’ve been reading more short stories lately, and as a huge literature enthusiast tadoku is really working for me. I might study a bit of vocab here and there, but for now picking up new words and grammar while reading is enough. And, getting back into Japanese cinema!

As for German, same thing. For a little while I considered taking a refresher course, particularly for grammar. But I realised am currently not interested in using German actively, so reading is the way to go.

Mandarin? Really one of those languages that I should have kept studying/reviewing. I didn’t, and now it feels like I have to start over. I have changed jobs and with that, the incentive is gone (plus the money to pay for courses, and I’m not enthusiastic enough about Mandarin to do it alone :roll: ) (and I’m no longer seeing Chinese every day, so the unintentional study materials are also gone). Maybe one day, but for now I’m setting it aside. Treating it the same way as French and Latin and even Manchu... Dabbled in it, and that’s it.

But! On a slightly more exciting note. I’ll be starting Korean soon! My friend asked me if I wanted to join her, and in a moment of madness I figured, why the hell not. I was going to take some type of course anyway this semester. My mind was on crafts, so I did not anticipate it being a language course haha. I’m very curious though. The fact that it’s an alphabet and not endless characters is a big plus for me (ok, there are occasional characters, but I should easily be able to get by with Chinese/Japanese). I wonder how useful my knowledge of Japanese is this time around!

vonPeterhof wrote:
brilliantyears wrote:I have permanently dropped classical Manchu (with a heavy heart).

Aw shucks, and I only just found out that there was another Manchu learner on the forum :(

Either way, good thing that you've retained your Japanese. Good luck in your future studies!

ume_waliyara.png

I’m sad I had to give up Manchu! I was working fulltime back then, and trying to do too many other things, so I had no choice but to give up  It’s such an interesting language (and culture!). I wish I had the energy to try again, but the fact that it was classical Manchu and the very limited amount of modern language sources was also holding me back a little.
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Got the confirmation, my Korean classes will start next week! :D I am quite excited! It'll be nice to start something from scratch.

For now let me catch you up on what I've been watching and reading...
Our Little Sister

I saw this at a local film festival with someone who did not have any special interest in Japanese cinema... We both absolutely loved it. Very sweet, very beautiful, very positive!

A while after this, I had the unique opportunity to watch a Japanese benshi in action! We watched three short-ish silent movies (血煙高田の馬場, 浮草物語 and the western movie The Gift) with a real benshi (Kataoka Ichiro) narrating, it was a really cool experience.

Kokuhaku

Finally watched this! Pretty good, really dark, but I wonder if I would have enjoyed the book even more?

Orange

Saw this on the plane to Japan. Good, not spectacular. Was sorted in the 'sci-fi' genre, so I was pretty disappointed about there not being any actual sci-fi :lol:

An

This one hit us right in the feels. Very delicate, touching, well handled, and shows a dark side of Japan without ever putting the blame on one person.

I've also been reading a few short stories:
蒸籠を買った日 by Kaori Ekuni, which I really enjoyed! It's a short story in the anthology 20の短編小説. This is the second thing I've read by her and I can't wait to read more.
女仙 by Ryunosuke Akutagawa, a very short (3 page) easy read, not that interesting.
日記帳 by Rampo Edogawa. I'm so happy his stories are finally appearing on Aozora Bunko! This one however wasn't spectacular and the twist (which Edogawa is usually seriously good at) was a bit meh.
And I finished Breaking into Japanese Literature. Loved the stories, but they were quite hard so I think this book misses it's purpose :? (they were doable for me)

I definitely want to keep reading short stories. One a week would be a nice aim, in light of the Reading short stories challenge 2016!
3 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:28 pm

I just signed up for the Language Super Challenge :D

LANGUAGE: Japanese
CHALLENGE: Half
CURRENT LEVEL: Somewhere between N2 and N1
COMMENTS: I'm joining this challenge for two reasons: 1) I am starting a Korean course next week and I don't want my Japanese to deteriorate, and 2) I realised reading and watching movies is exactly what I currently want to be doing with my Japanese. I studied for N1 last year, got burned out, failed, and decided N1 is not my goal anyway - using my Japanese for the things I love is (i.e. reading books). So this challenge is actually perfect! Going for half a challenge because I also want to succeed at Korean
1 x

Return to “Language logs”