日本語 + Русский + norsk (part 1, CLOSED)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: 日本語 + Русский + norsk

Postby Arnaud » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 am

IronMike wrote:
tarvos wrote:Am I the only one who never got bothered by verbs of motion? Ok, so there's not one single word for "to go", but in general it's easier to be specific about whether you drove or flew somewhere anyway. Maybe my proclivity for specifics is just something particular to me, but when it comes to Russian, there are plenty of things I found hard to wrap my head around, but this wasn't one of them.

I don't have an issue with motion verbs with respect to "how" the subject goes. By plane, by water, by foot, no problem. My problem with them is two-fold: the "one way" versus "multidirectional" of the imperfective ones. The more obscure ones. Sure, идти vs. ходить is no issue. бродить/брести, ползать/ползти, возить/везти, those I forget all the time when trying to use them (so productively I have problems vs. receptively). And throw in prefixed verbs of motion, and I'm all kinds of messed up.

Same thing here. I've no problem with "by foot" or "by car", because that's usually the two "verbs" that are deeply explained in books and are subject to multiple exemples and exercices. All the other verbs are a complete mess in my head, so I don't use them. I use быть to make understand that I was here or I will be there (with someone, with an object, by plane, by boat, etc), and people can generally understand what I mean, even if it's not a very clean way to express oneself.

Edit: In courses and textbooks for beginners, there is a insistance on verbs of motion and verbs of position but according to my personnal experience, russian people don't use them that much. There are a lot of fixed expression like "иди сюда", "пошли", "погнали" to invite people to move one way or another but otherwise I rarely hear the verbs of motion conjugated at the present. They are mainly used at the past or at the infinitive with the appropriate grammatical structure.
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: 日本語 + Русский + norsk

Postby brilliantyears » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:58 am

IronMike wrote:
tarvos wrote:Am I the only one who never got bothered by verbs of motion? Ok, so there's not one single word for "to go", but in general it's easier to be specific about whether you drove or flew somewhere anyway. Maybe my proclivity for specifics is just something particular to me, but when it comes to Russian, there are plenty of things I found hard to wrap my head around, but this wasn't one of them.

I don't have an issue with motion verbs with respect to "how" the subject goes. By plane, by water, by foot, no problem. My problem with them is two-fold: the "one way" versus "multidirectional" of the imperfective ones.
THIS is my main problem. And then having to distinguish not just идти and ходитх, but also прийти, походить, приходить, перейти, переходить, etc. Some are obvious, some are just out there to trip you up.
I don't mind words that state the specifics, because we have them more or less in Dutch too.
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: 日本語 + Русский + norsk (6WC)

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:27 am

6WC Week 1, Day 2
Yesterday's update, but I was home late :)

Norwegian
Finally started on some new vocab! And I reviewed a few old skills on Duolingo. I ended the day with a Norwegian movie, Ut og stjæle hester (Out Stealing Horses):

(I'm fairly certain they speak Swedish at some points but I'm too n00b to distinguish :) )
Total time: 3h31

Chinese
I watched another Chinese movie, Lucky Grandma. Hiiiighly recommended! Idk what it is about 奶奶 movies but I cannot resist. No trailer out there that I can share with you, unfortunately :(
Total time: 3h18

Russian
No studying, but I watched a movie?? If I hadn't been squeezed in between the wall and a row of people I would have walked out after 20 minutes :lol: but in the end I'm glad I saw all of it, even though it was not my genre at all :lol:
Not for the faint of heart, so watch at your own risk :roll: There's a fake blood company out there somewhere that got rich off this movie, I'm sure.

Total time: 1h50
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am

6WC Week 1, Day 3
Again, yesterday's update, simply because I forgot :?
I saw one movie yesterday, a Georgian one, and it was absolutely gorgeous. I don't study Georgian but I want to share the trailer here anyway because the movie was just that good :D

Norwegian
My The Mystery of Nils book arrived so I started working on that. I finished the first two chapters. I want to make sure to study the vocab (that is, the words I didn't know yet) before I continue with chapter 3, but so far it's... really easy. Oh, Norwegian :) I'm also really enjoying the method. I think it'll keep me motivated.
Besides Nils, I also studied some more new Duolingo vocab on Memrise and reviewed some old Duolingo skills. I'm ready to start the next skill today :D
Total time: 4h50

Japanese
Nothing big, but Queer Eye Japan is finally on Netflix so I watched the first episode (and counted 30 out of 50 minutes for Japanese - it's a guess, at best).
Total time: 0h30
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm

6WC Week 1, Day 4
I'm still one day behind :roll: I'll catch up eventually.

Norwegian
I studied new vocab on Memrise, both from the Duolingo course and from The Mystery of Nils. Also started a new skill on Duolingo (adjectives) and upped it to level 1.
Total time: 5h20

Korean
Caught a Korean movie at the film festival, Parasite. Oh gosh, please go see it if you can. I won't say anything else about it, and I even recommend you don't watch the trailer (but in case you really want to watch it, let me share it anyway):

I love that I can still catch plenty of words/sentence structures I know, even though my Korean is rubbish.
Total time: 2h12
4 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 pm

6WC Week 1, Day 5
Caught up! For now. I notice I'm often doing some last minute studying before I go to sleep but then I don't want to pull out my laptop again to make a post (and I hate making a post on another device) :roll: I'll accept the fact I'll often be posting the morning after, instead of the day itself.

Completely unrelated to language learning, I'm tired and feel like I'll be hitting a(NOTHER) wall soon. Not sure how that'll effect things.

Norwegian
Reviewed vocab, and started a new skill on Duolingo (colours) and upped it to level 1.
Total time: 5h32

Japanese
Just another ep of Queer Eye Japan.
Total time: 1h0

Russian
We had class again tonight. More verbs of motion.
Total time: 3h50
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:45 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Finally started on some new vocab! And I reviewed a few old skills on Duolingo. I ended the day with a Norwegian movie, Ut og stjæle hester (Out Stealing Horses):/.../
(I'm fairly certain they speak Swedish at some points but I'm too n00b to distinguish :) )

Correct, it's Swedish. I think many natives would recognize the narrator in a split second - it's the actor Stellan Skarsgård (also visible in the trailer, and mentioned as part of the cast).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 am

And then we danced is beautiful isn’t it? I really enjoyed it, it was very moving.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
brilliantyears wrote:Finally started on some new vocab! And I reviewed a few old skills on Duolingo. I ended the day with a Norwegian movie, Ut og stjæle hester (Out Stealing Horses):/.../

Correct, it's Swedish. I think many natives would recognize the narrator in a split second - it's the actor Stellan Skarsgård (also visible in the trailer, and mentioned as part of the cast).
Oh no, did I fuck up? I'm pretty sure at least some Norwegian was spoken and its language is marked 'Norwegian' everywhere :? Oh well, I've got a long way to go, I'm not denying that :lol:

MamaPata wrote:And then we danced is beautiful isn’t it? I really enjoyed it, it was very moving.
It was! I really loved it, the ending was perfect too. It's definitely among my favourites this year :D
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Oh no, did I fuck up? I'm pretty sure at least some Norwegian was spoken and its language is marked 'Norwegian' everywhere :? Oh well, I've got a long way to go, I'm not denying that :lol:

No no, you were correct that "they speak Swedish at some points". I haven't seen the movie - only the trailer you posted. But I can confirm that Swedish is spoken by Stellan Skarsgård (whom I could hear and see). Norwegian: 0:25-0:26 (Bjørn Floberg), 1:10-1:20, (Tobias Santelmann), 1:30-1:37 (Tobias Santelmann again).

Keep it up!
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”