日本語 + Русский + norsk (part 1, CLOSED)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus + a little bonus العربية

Postby tarvos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm fairly sure I won't continue after that, at least not actively (except a little DuoLingo, maybe? probably as intensively as Chinese :lol: aka super lowkey). Learning Arabic has been a really cool opportunity that I'm grateful for, but I'm still not in love with the language, although I'm appreciating it more and more. I do count 'language learning' as one of my hobbies, but I don't think I can be as indiscriminate towards languages as some polyglots out there. I'm more and more realising I'm not a language hoarder. I love getting to know different languages! But if I don't fall in love, my motivation is approximately zero :P

Sometimes it can take forever until you fall in love. I hated Spanish for years until I went to Spain.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Just had my last Arabic class, and my final exam! I think I did well, but we'll see. Should be getting the results this weekend.

Still glad I did this course, but also glad it's over. I'm sure I'd enjoy it a lot more if it was more low-key. In the end I think the intensity was my main problem. It was hard to combine with work, I had basically no social life and I didn't feel rested for even a second. Especially the last week was tough and near the end my brain just... refused.

I'm getting old, life is short, and there are so many other things I enjoy :lol: Now that I've reached this level I don't want to give Arabic up completely. Just for fun I tried to test out of some levels on Duolingo and made it past the second checkpoint fairly easily. My grammar is fine, might have to catch up on some vocab that's used in the Duolingo course.

Anyway! According to the 6WC bot I spent 87 hours and 12 minutes on Arabic in the past three weeks :o (and with that I'm in first place). If y'all wanna catch up, now is the time to do it :lol: I don't know how much more time I'll be spending on Arabic before the end of the challenge, but I do have a few movies and stuff lined up.

On another note: I am now completely addicted to Mashrou' Leila. What an awesome band!

And I watched Lemon Tree ( شجرة ليمون / ‎עץ לימון ):
5 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:59 am

I hope you did well on your exam! :geek: Glad your course is over for you but I hope you don't completely fade out of the 6WC.

Anyway! According to the 6WC bot I spent 87 hours and 12 minutes on Arabic in the past three weeks :o (and with that I'm in first place). If y'all wanna catch up, now is the time to do it :lol:

I don't know if I'll be able to catch up with you but I'll try. :twisted: I've had to take it a little easier the past few days due to my heart condition giving me an "Um, am I having a heart attack?" scare the other day, so I've been spending some of my 6WC time lying in bed and doing stuff for my Gaelic SC because it's way easier for me than Russian. It seems the person who was in 3rd place has decided to make their move to oust me from 2nd place today, so I have gotten a little motivation from that! :lol:

Hopefully I can get in some good 6WC study time this weekend, even though Russian is mean to me and makes me feel stupid. :cry:
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:I hope you did well on your exam! :geek: Glad your course is over for you but I hope you don't completely fade out of the 6WC.

Thanks! I will probably start doing more Russian now that Arabic class is over :)

Cèid Donn wrote:
Anyway! According to the 6WC bot I spent 87 hours and 12 minutes on Arabic in the past three weeks :o (and with that I'm in first place). If y'all wanna catch up, now is the time to do it :lol:

I don't know if I'll be able to catch up with you but I'll try. :twisted: I've had to take it a little easier the past few days due to my heart condition giving me an "Um, am I having a heart attack?" scare the other day, so I've been spending some of my 6WC time lying in bed and doing stuff for my Gaelic SC because it's way easier for me than Russian. It seems the person who was in 3rd place has decided to make their move to oust me from 2nd place today, so I have gotten a little motivation from that! :lol:

Hopefully I can get in some good 6WC study time this weekend, even though Russian is mean to me and makes me feel stupid. :cry:

Ohh you're xgaelicwitch! :D Sorry, I didn't realise before! Take care of your health :( Some online challenge isn't worth risking your health for. How far are you with Russian? :) Maybe we can exchange some tips!
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Just got the news I passed my Arabic exam :D
9 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Поздравляю! (I would congratulate you in Arabic but I can't really read Arabic script and I am afraid of cutting and pasting something I can't read :lol: )

How far am I along with Russian? Pfft. I'm coming along but I'm still at that "messy beginner who's learning lots of stuff but can't put anything together" phase. A 0.5 level, or there about. I'm mainly focusing on getting used to hearing and reading Russian words and exposing myself to the language as much as I can via various resources. I'm studying grammar too, but it's not my main emphasis right now. I'm only on unit 3 in Colloquial Russian and I've looked at some grammar in the Teach Yourself Russian Grammar text to help make sense of a few things, but I'm not trying to be intensive about learning grammar at this point. Too stressful. :lol: My reasons for learning Russian are not at all urgent, so I much rather just take a more low-key approach, like these very accessible podcasts by Daria or watching this weird Russian version of Winnie the Pooh:

2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Postby brilliantyears » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:

Поздравляю! (I would congratulate you in Arabic but I can't really read Arabic script and I am afraid of cutting and pasting something I can't read :lol: )

Thank you! :lol:

Cèid Donn wrote:How far am I along with Russian? Pfft. I'm coming along but I'm still at that "messy beginner who's learning lots of stuff but can't put anything together" phase. A 0.5 level, or there about. I'm mainly focusing on getting used to hearing and reading Russian words and exposing myself to the language as much as I can via various resources. I'm studying grammar too, but it's not my main emphasis right now. I'm only on unit 3 in Colloquial Russian and I've looked at some grammar in the Teach Yourself Russian Grammar text to help make sense of a few things, but I'm not trying to be intensive about learning grammar at this point. Too stressful. :lol: My reasons for learning Russian are not at all urgent, so I much rather just take a more low-key approach, like these very accessible podcasts by Daria or watching this weird Russian version of Winnie the Pooh:

Sounds like you have a good plan! I was at A1 last year when I did the 6WC and it helped me immensely in getting used to and comfortable with Russian :D I absolutely love Daria's podcasts by the way. Listened to a lot of those last year too :lol:

I'm saving that video, but the few secs I saw of it were... so typical :lol: I love it haha
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:21 am

Винни Пух is top and an excellent way of keeping up Russian interest!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

brilliantyears
Green Belt

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 am

I thought I was going on a big break after Arabic, but I felt so completely and utterly relaxed this weekend that I actually found myself doing little things here and there on multiple languages :)

So I figured it's the time of the year where I take a long hard look at my languages, figure out where my priorities lie and how I can keep language learning sustainable. I love doing that once in a while. And I came up with the following:

High priority
(aka studying seriously)
    Russian
    Russian is going to stay my main focus language for the foreseeable future. Gosh, I love this language. Plans:
      - Take classes again this semester (this is happening)
      - Find a new language exchange partner (I really benefited from my last one)
      - Immersion immersion immersion

Low priority
    Arabic
    Turns out I don’t really want to quit, but also don’t really want to spend a lot of time on it. Plans:

Mandarin
    Would be nice to not lose this forever. What I know, I know well. Also, going to Taiwan in October, so. Plans:
      - Duolingo
      - Maaaaybe study the Duolingo Memrise deck?

Ainu
    This was so much fun when I was learning it last year! Bonus points because I also get to use my Japanese (which makes for a really good case to just continue already, gdi!).
      - Start over with the STV Radio Course (y’know, the one that’s been in my signature since forever :roll: )
      - Create my own Memrise course (all the existing ones have katakana and I 100% refuse because it's absolute bs to use katakana for Ainu :geek: )

Maintenance:
    Japanese
    Plans:
      - Immersion
      - Reading
      - I may be doing some low-key interpreting at a festival next month, so if that’s going to happen: prepare for that

German
    No specific goals. Plans:
      - Read another book
      - Watch some musicals?
      - Watch a few tv series (finish Babylon Berlin, watch Dark, etc)

The absolute lowest priority
    Norwegian
    Started this on Duolingo for fun, but holy s### I love it! For now I'm really just playing around with it. Also, going to Norway in January... soooo... Plans:
      - Duolingo
      - The Duolingo Memrise deck? Super maybe?

Korean
    The itch to not lose this is there, but I don’t know how to scratch it and I also don't care quite enough to embed it in my daily life.
      - Lingodeer???
      - Continue the TTMIK Memrise course???
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 日本語 + Русский focus

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm

brilliantyears wrote: Also, going to Norway in January

Where are you going? (And why in January??)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”