Zalmoxis' log: Portuguese, German, Swedish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zalmoxis
White Belt
Languages: Native: Italian, Western Lombard (semi-native);
C2: English, French;
C1: Spanish;
B2: Portuguese, German;
A2: Catalan, Swedish, Greek;
A1: Irish;
uncertified: Occitan, Ancient Greek, Latin;
dabbled with: Armenian, Basque, Dutch, Georgian, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic.

Zalmoxis' log: Portuguese, German, Swedish

Postby zalmoxis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello to everyone,

I've recently discovered this site, and it's time to inaugurate my first log.

I've always dabbled with languages, but it's been only during the latest year or so that I've begun to search for any possible language certificate to get my hands on (except for French and English, for which I had gotten the certificates a lot of years ago). During this last year I got to B2 in German and to C1 in Spanish (hopefully, beacause I'm still waiting for the results after 2 months.. :? )

I have many other interests, so I want to concentrate on 1 or maximum 2 languages at a time. My next projects are:

PORTUGUESE
Goal: getting the B1 certificate for the end of November.
I probably already am, or was, at a fairly intermediate level, but I haven't touched it for a few years now. For the B1 a plan to go sistematically over the grammar and the sectors of vocabulary that reflect my passions (nature, sports, etc.). I'll also use mock exams and student's books (there are not many, for Portuguese). I think I'll leave the literature for the higher levels.
If I dive into it, I could probably aim to B2, but I thik I prefer absorbing things slowly and being, possibly, over the level I decide to certificate (the goal is the language, not the certificate itself).

GERMAN
Goal: getting the C1 certificate for the end of January 2020.
During the next months, while I'm mostly busy with Portuguese, I just want to store away in my mind, ONCE AND FOR ALL, some crucial points like all the strong verbs, etc.; then, after the Portuguese exam, I'll dive into it completely.

So long, Massimo ;)
Last edited by zalmoxis on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 x

zalmoxis
White Belt

Re: Zalmoxis' log

Postby zalmoxis » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:21 am

Update:
I decided to take baby steps and aim at A2 (and not B1) Portuguese certification for next month. There are a few reasons: my Portuguese was rustier than I thought, I've been keen on a lot of other, non - linguistic, stuff , and I just want to take it slowly and enjoy the process.
So, I will :
1 fill an A2 exercise book,
2 take mock exams,
3 go over my old Assimil manual,
4 study phonology to the core,
5 delve into the differences between Portuguese and Castilian (which is always there, interfering in my mind).

I've also decided to write on this log more regularly. Bye ;)
3 x

zalmoxis
White Belt

Postby zalmoxis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 pm

UPDATE
A couple of weeks ago I took the A2 Portuguese exam. I think I could easily have aimed at B1...but I'm not really sorry for having underestimated myself. One more exam to face, one more opportunity to learn ;)

For personal reasons, I've decided to postpone German C1 from this coming winter to later during 2020. And since the next Portuguese exams don't take place before the month of May, that leaves a few months in the middle, waiting to be filled with a new project... :roll:

...and the winner is: [............] 8-)
Last edited by zalmoxis on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

zalmoxis
White Belt

Postby zalmoxis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm

.........Swedish B1 :P

....which I aim to try in February or March. I'm a false beginner in this language: I had learnt some, apparently I've forgotten it, but I'm sure a lot will float up to surface easily again. Time will prove if I'm right :?

Anyway, I take this as a sort of scientific experiment on myself: see if I can really improve as quickly as I hope I can :roll:

See you soon, M.
1 x

zalmoxis
White Belt

Re: Zalmoxis' log: Portuguese, German, Swedish

Postby zalmoxis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi to everyone.
I write this only to keep track myself, you don't have to reply.
I just got back from my A2 exam in Swedish....which I took..in Germany. Logical, isn't it? ;) They complimented me for having begun just a few months ago. Let's hope I didn't botch it in the written parts. :lol:
And I also got very good results in the A2 Portuguese exam I took in November.

Shortly I'll make plans for the future..here are the next exams I kind of fancy taking: Portuguese B1, Greek A2, German C1, Spanish C2, Swedish B1, Russian A1, Irish A1...I just have to decide in which order! :? :P
3 x

zalmoxis
White Belt

Re: Zalmoxis' log: Portuguese, German, Swedish [+Latin, Ancient Greek]

Postby zalmoxis » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 am

Hi, here I am with one of my sparse updates.

Last month I took my Portuguese B1 exam. I have got no results yet, but I'm optimistic.

The next big challenge is getting the German C1 certificate. I checked my current situation and I concluded..now or never! :oops: ..also because I think I'll have a lot of spare time during the next months, due to a surgical treatment I'll have to undergo. That said, I got the B2 a couple of years ago..but I don't feel I really deserved it...mainly because I'm still struggling heavily at speaking using fairly complex and well-built sentences. Shortly I'll open a detailed thread to discuss my sticking points.

A note about classical languages.
I studied them in high school, when I was much younger.. :( :lol:
Since they are a part of my identity as a European man, and since I've stopped leaving things unfinished in my life, a few months ago I began again, after many years, trying to read latin and greek works in the original. With Greek I have to go over a lot of the grammar as well (verbs, especially). So, I'm alternating one small literary work in Latin and one in Greek... In a sense, this is easier than learning German, since the only skill required with ancient languages is the reading comprehension.

As usual, I write this as a personal note; you don't have to answer. Cheers, Massimo
3 x

Return to “Language logs”