alaart's log (CN/KR in Japan)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
alaart
Orange Belt
Languages: DE (N)
EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A1: ES, KR
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Re: alaart's log (CN/KR in Japan)

Postby alaart » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Today I spoke with a Korean guy my roommate met the other day. I asked him to speak some Korean with me and he was very helpful. It was possible to hold a conversations mostly about dialogue I have had before with other people, common questions: what am I doing, what are my plans, how is Japan etc.

I also did study with my 3 language exchange partners every week. And I discovered I still have some money in my iTalki account, so I am using it to study with a teacher and trying to improve my pronunciation. That said, I have not really reviewed and focused on pronunciation, I plan to still do that though.

Otherwise I have been working on guitar compositions, I finished around 10 small pieces - most of them were kind of finished, but I didn't write them down, just had some old recordings. My chronic pain in my hand will prevent me from exploring more music though, maybe I kind of overdid it there :roll: Next time I should just work on it a little. But still, it was a little journey back into memory town - reminded me why I started language learning. But it was still nice to do it again for a while.

Next I will have to go back to studying Chinese because the semester is starting and I still have to do my exam, hope I can get back to it :D
3 x

alaart
Orange Belt
EN

Postby alaart » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Exam preparation. I'm doing my favorite thing... writing Chinese characters.. :roll:

I have pretty much not done it since the last exam, and guess what I can't write anything anymore. I hate writing, and it has pretty much put a full stop to learning Korean for now.
Classes will start next week and I will be busy. I don't know if I can handle the pressure of Chinese lessons. Chinese classes are just so intense, I long for my chilled Japanese classes °_°. The teacher already send 9 pages of homework due for next Monday :twisted:

Well, I plan to go to China, so maybe that will be enough to get me to stick to it. I spoke with my former classmates who went. Motivated me a bit..
3 x

alaart
Orange Belt
EN

Postby alaart » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:04 pm

So far I reviewed maybe around 200 characters and spent a couple hours on homework.. tomorrow is the semester start and I will have 16 hours of Chinese per week in lessons.

I reduced my Korean language exchanges to one per week, but I will try to keep it alive, and fully reenter once I have settled into the semester.

Maybe I can make the best out of all the character study and finally get into reading. Today I accompanied a friend to a manga café. It took me 3 hours to read one volume of manga (actually I had to rush the last two chapters and didn't fully understand everything there since time was running out) - not exactly fast. My friend from the Philippines read two volumes in the same time. I wonder how fast a Japanese native reads?

The manga I read was called "City", it is the first time I read Manga in Japanese, and probably 10 years since I last read one in English. It is definitely easier than the novel I have lying around. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it and if I have the will to read more. I found it a bit difficult. We will see.
1 x

alaart
Orange Belt
EN

Postby alaart » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm

So far I reviewed maybe around 200 characters and spent a couple hours on homework.. tomorrow is the semester start and I will have 16 hours of Chinese per week in lessons.

I reduced my Korean language exchanges to one per week, but I will try to keep it alive, and fully reenter once I have settled into the semester.

Maybe I can make the best out of all the character study and finally get into reading. Today I accompanied a friend to a manga café. It took me 3 hours to read one volume of manga (actually I had to rush the last two chapters and didn't fully understand everything there since time was running out) - not exactly fast. My friend from the Philippines read two volumes in the same time. I wonder how fast a Japanese native reads?

The manga I read was called "City", it is the first time I read Manga in Japanese, and probably 10 years since I last read one in English. It is definitely easier than the novel I have lying around. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it and if I have the will to read more. I found it a bit difficult. But what I liked about the Café and going there with a friend is that I couldn't run away and stop reading and had to continue. :lol:

[Edit]
Wow, Professor google says Japanese people read a Manga in around 15 minutes. I wonder how much time I lost looking up characters and vocabulary.
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Norwegian (A1), Nansha (constructing).

Postby Xenops » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm

alaart wrote:The manga I read was called "City", it is the first time I read Manga in Japanese, and probably 10 years since I last read one in English. It is definitely easier than the novel I have lying around. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it and if I have the will to read more. I found it a bit difficult. But what I liked about the Café and going there with a friend is that I couldn't run away and stop reading and had to continue. :lol:

[Edit]
Wow, Professor google says Japanese people read a Manga in around 15 minutes. I wonder how much time I lost looking up characters and vocabulary.

A tankoban? That's fast. :shock: I'm not that fast when I read in English! When I timed myself, I can read a Fullmetal Alchemist tankoban in 45 minutes, and Death Note in an hour. Naruto and action-heavy manga probably much faster.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “Language logs”