Dream to finally learn German log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MarriedaGerman
Languages: English (n) German (beginner)

Dream to finally learn German log

Postby MarriedaGerman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:12 am

Hi,

I live in the uk, am married to a German man and we are trying to bring our daughter up bilingual. It has always been my dream to be conversational/fluent in a second language and as my family in law don’t speak much English it will make visits less stressful.

One hiccup is that I am dyslexic and I have always had a niggling doubt that my dream is unattainable and impossible.

I have tried Rosetta Stone and duo lingo in the past but never stuck to it, so only have a handful of phrases and vocabulary that I use to stumble by.

On this recent push I have bought a subscription for Memrise and linkword; and am trying to sort one to one lessons but due to location and childcare this is proving difficult. Don’t know where to start with Skype ones so any advise would be appreciated.

If you read this far thank you and wish me veil Glücke!
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Dream to finally learn German log

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. :-)

I can't offer any advice on tutors, but given you mention having a child, perhaps you could consider children's TV?

Peppa Pig is a common choice, there's also Die Sendung mit der Maus (wdrmaus.de), 'Lowënzahn Classics' etc.

To avoid course books, you could also add in some TV courses, I quite like the BBC Deutsch Direkt one (I'm suggesting just watching the TV programme, not buying the associated course book).
4 x

MarriedaGerman

Postby MarriedaGerman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi DaveAgain,

Thank you for your tips. Yes she is approaching 2 so we are starting to look at introducing limited screen time and German shows would be our first pick.

I will also take a look at the BBC- never new they did language stuff. Thank you.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:56 pm

If reading, or absorbing information in written form is a problem due to dyslexia, you might want to try Michel Thomas or Pimsleur. They are audio courses. They can be a bit expensive, so check your public library first. If they don’t have them, they might be able to order them from another library. For online courses, try Italki or Verbling.
4 x

MarriedaGerman

Postby MarriedaGerman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you Brun Ugle, I will take a look at those. Love my local library so hopefully will find one of them there.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”