FSI French Basic adventure, Polish and beyond

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: FSI French Basic adventure, Polish and beyond

Postby lusan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 pm

I began watching Ranczo. It is so boring, silly and difficult that I went to sleep. I think that my listening skill are not up to that show. I also checked on several other serials that I have and I realized that I forgot the reason, that in the past, I dropped watching Polish serials of interest: the darn lektorem. Polish put a boring voice on top of every foreign films. I cannot stand the very artificial voice over. So I am moving on. No movies for me. I am dropping the movies for sure. Maybe when I am better I would try real Polish films with living actors voices.

I looked into listening to Harry Potter I, and I found that I understood about 80 %. It seems that it fits me. Therefore, I will work with WorkAudioBook and Audiobooks. I have several audiobooks that I could work on for a while. I plan to listening carefully sentence by sentence. Let's see.
3 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Where am I?

French
No more study, but reading FranceInfo and France Culture, unknown words/expressions dumped into Anki. I understand when I read and I learn a bunch expresions such as " passé à tabac", etc. Camolle!
Anki for listening: 6657 mature and 7569 total cards. Maybe I will add more cards but these from songs that I like.
Anki for reading: 211 mature and 313 total cards. It will increase as I keep reading FranceInfo and others.
I don't read books. I have no current interest. Difficult to focus currently because the high increase in USA Covid cases and the ongoing USA political show.
Serial watching: One episode/day. This is a very enjoyable routine. I understand enough for immersions. The idea of watching serial is really really good.

I estimated -no tested- my level similar to:

Reading: B2-C1
Listening: B1-B2
Speaking: B1
Writing: None. I don't care.

There is no rush. Yesterday I listened to Le journal en français facile. It was too easy. French became part of my normal life. Not bad for 2 years of study and pandemic help.

Polish
Reviewed all basic grammar. Planned to moved to Gdansk for 6 months. Then pandemic came and... no more trips for a while. So I placed Polish back in the shelf. Polish Grammar will relapse very easy if not used. So I am keeping it alive with ~800 Anki cards. I expect to visit Poland next fall. 3 month prior I plan to do AGAIN Assimil la Polonaise to refresh it.
4 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Status

Polish
-On hold
-Anki Cards for Grammar and Cases. 2 months prior to my next trip to Poland, I will go through my favorite Polish method: Schenker!

French
- No more study!
- One serial episode a day to keep the doctor away.
- France Info. The daily news and the video section which I am finding very interesting and useful to learn about the French society and acquire new words that go into Anki.
-Began to read again fiction. Currently, I read "L'empire des loups" by J.C. Grange. I read 10-20 min/day, ~10 pages. Not rush. Planning a trip to North of France, probably, October, after this pandemic is over. Maybe, I'll visit some small towns near German border.
-Not to much desire to Speak French. Maybe after vaccination I would change my mind.

Anki wise - Mature cards
French
Listening cards: 6693 - Eventually I will add new words extracted from songs that I like.
Reading: 379 - From news, maybe I will add from novels. Since my focus is news, and regular non-fiction material, I have no rush. I know enough to function.

Polish.
Grammar/Cases: 1000. Easy 20 reviews/day

I am considering starting to study Italian next year, after further solidifying French- that is, though I understand ~80-90 % the news/Video, I would like to consolidate before moving away. I want to make sure French is a normal part of my life. It is very enjoyable to reach a level where just listening/reading=study.

Any recommendation for a good Italian Audio-lingual course would be appreciated.
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:06 am

2021 Goals

Polish: B1 -maintenance - Conversational
French: B2+ (maybe I am there, but I still struggle on listening to some people)
Italian: B1+

Of course, these are skill levels. I don't take tests anymore. An old man of 65 years prefers to smell the flowers.... plus de wine, SVP.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”