LDS' Greek Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 45#p145945

Re: LDS' Greek Log

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:37 am

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (180/459)
+20

2) Keep making mems (204/1646)
+0

3) Listen some more (23 hours, 20 minutes)
+0

Okay so this wasn't my best week, I admit, but it's natural and perfectly fine to have some ups and downs. I'm sure though that this one will be way better :). I'm mostly just glad the previous week is over, to be honest.
2 x
Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes!

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 am

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (200/459)
+0

+0

+0

So as you can see, this is a shaming post. The last week was brutal, BUT it's no excuse. I'm sure I would have been able to squeeze the Greek somewhere, but I didn't. So. This is me, apologizing for my abysmal behaviour and promising to do better.
I should now insert some kind of a wise proverb, something like "you can reach the greatest hights only after reaching the bottom first", but nothing comes to mind at the moment.
See you next week!
1 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Sorry I'm late!

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (200/459)
+37

+6

+0

There's small progress, a tiny one, really, but. It's there.
Right now I'm not feeling very enthusiastic about languages and learning Greek doesn't feel like a Big Achievement (which is linked to the fact that it feels more familiar to me now and I kinda feel at home with it, even if there's still a long way to go), so I have to get my mojo back. Sometimes it's necessary for me to step back and look at what I'm doing from a different perspective and get excited about it all over again, so that's my plan for this week, basically.
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (237/459)
+39

2) Keep making mems (210/1646)
+6

+30 min

I've found some nice Greek podcasts on Spotify. One of them, "Μόνο Ντροπή", is similar to Polish "Ja i moje przyjaciółki idiotki" (My stupid friends and I) when it comes to the general theme, so once again, I'm astounded with the Greek-Polish similarities. Even if, as in this case, they tend to be a bit far fetched. But the parallels are still nice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: 18.11.2019
I have nothing new to add besides the numbers, so I won't bother with posting a new post if I can edit the previous one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (276/459)
+35
Alright maybe I have something new to add XD.
The thing is, I've finally took my book outside of my apartment and read on the bus. That's a great achievement for me, since that means I don't need a dictionary anymore to understand the text. Mind you, there were some unknown words to me (aren't there always?), but I could understand the gist of it. So, i'm happy, since I can read in Greek during commute and so on <3.

2) Keep making mems (216/1646)
+0
This goes so slow but I'm sure it will be worth it, one day.

3) Listen some more (23 hours, 50 minutes)
+1 hour

And still doing French on the side on Duolingo. It's great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: 28.11.2019

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (311/459)
+81
I've been traveling a bit more this week, so I had to do something during the long and boring train rides.

+0
:)

3) Listen some more (24 hours, 50 minutes)
+1 hour 30 minutes
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:00 pm

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (392/459)
+48

+3

3) Listen some more (26 hours, 20 minutes)
+30 minutes

Right know I'm just happy that even though I'm up to my eyeballs in work I can still find some little time here and there for Greek :D
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:27 am

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (440/459)
+19 DONE!

2) Keep making mems (219/1646)
+9

3) Listen some more (26 hours, 50 minutes)

I'm back!
It was a busy term for me, so I did little on the languages front. It's possible that I won't do much either in the second term, but it doesn't mean I'm giving up entirely :)
I've finished my book! I bought another one, still in the YA category - the Hunger Games. I'm excited to get to it.
On the listening front - honestly, I don't like that part and I don't feel like it helps very much, not at least at the level I am currently, so I'm "freezing" that part for now.
I didn't do much with French, so I'm going back to Duolingo. Apparently, my skills didn't get too rusty, so it's alright. I have to get better at it, becouse I got the fourth part of the Harry Potter series in French, and I'd like to read it :D.
I'm not sure when will I update, so for now - see you later!
2 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:14 pm

1) The Hunger Games (0/359)
+39
I'm really enjoying this book so far. Fairly easy to read (of course I do still stumble upon unknown words, there's actually a lot of them, but it's just a matter of looking them up, so easy peasy), althought I was a bit thrown off by the first person view at first. The more I read though the more I get used to it. And it might be more useful to me this way as well.

2) Keep making mems (228/1646)
+9

I've managed to crawl back into my regular studying Greek habits, so I'm back on the right track. I'm happy about that.
3 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Fri May 01, 2020 11:08 am

How the time flies by! I constantly forget to post here an update, even though I've been working on my Greek all the time. I'm a bit weirded out by that. I really thought I did post something more recently :D.

1) The Hunger Games (39/359)
+101
Oh yeah it's a YA book, alright. And it's amazing how suddenly all the food descriptions stuck out to me, since my food vocabulary is rather lacking and I really don't like having to drag myself trought the whole paragraphs of how amazing the food is. If I were reading it in English or in Polish, I wouldn't have actually noticed how many of them are there. It's also interesting how reading in another language that you're learning makes it easier to notice which part of the book are a bit unecessary. Like, "did I really translate all that, just to get THAT information from this?"

2) Keep making mems (237/1646)
+107
I've switched from Memrise to Anki and it's way better and definitely faster. And the words really do stick in mind for long. I should have done better, but my first meeting with Anki wasn't the best. I regret not giving it a second chance back then.

I'm still doing French Duolingo as well. It really is the best course there that I did so far. And I see some impressive improvement, considering how easy the course is.
Last edited by lildreamsnatcher on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi, it's been a while!

For the last two months or so I've been not as diligent in language learning as I should have been, but not for the lack of willingness or motivation — I just had to switch my priorities for a while. But I'm back on track, I think, although there are still some big life changing events in front of me this year, so it's hard to predict. But I'm willing to try!

So, when it comes to GREEK:

1) The Hunger Games (140/359)
+130
I can't believe it's taking me so long to finish this, considering how much I'm enjoying it, but it can't be helped. I'll be very happy if I'll get to the next book somewhere this year (and I'm still deciding on the next book!).

2) Keep making mems (344/1646)
+101
Anki is still doing great. I'm trying out new decks and experimenting a little, but I feel good about it in general. I've also created a new deck with basic and frequent vocabulary — it's really embarassing when I forget the simplest things when I've moved past them in my mind — and another one with basic sentences that could be used in real life, little things like "over there!" or "watch out" and stuff. I'm still missing something, preferably some kind of a Greek show, that I would really enjoy, so that I could get a hang of such sentences faster, but no luck so far.

FRENCH: I'm still learning via Duolingo and probably I'll stay there for a long time, considering how big this course actually is. But I'm enjoying it and have nothing else to report, I'm afraid :D. Going steady.

LATIN: Surprise! My Latin has been getting a bit rusty, so now I'm brushing up on my grammar and then I want to slowly continue reading Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata II. I'm not sure I'm good enough to jump right in where I left off, so I might want to try out Sine Colloquiis Colloquia, a Polish workbook with practical exercises (and answers, very useful for self-study) that were used in a university setting. I'll probably be doing this in a snail pace, but since I'm a very mellow person, I don't really mind.

...MANDARIN CHINESE: Well. It's like I'm not busy enough, right? But I did get into watching a lot of Chinese TV shows and programs recently and I couldn't help myself and fell in love with the language. It's utterly beautiful. BUT! I know that Mandarin is supposed to be very hard and so on, so I'm having no big goals in my mind nor any ambition whatsover. And I was wary of the characters — I mean, it sure does seem complicated to remember the stroke order, how the character looks, how it sounds and then what it means all at the same time. But! The opposite happened! They stick in my mind with relative ease (so far!). I think that might be due to two things. One, I spend more time "contemplating" each character. It's no longer just a matter of looking it up in the dictionary and then moving on (and then forgetting the word in the next five minutes :D). And two! I might really have a knack for visual things? ...I think? Like, that's why I'm going the painstaking way of doing mems over there on the Greek corner, but it's nice to have some more evidence. Even so, I'm still sceptic of how far I can realistically go with Mandarin, so I have no expectations so far. And this mindset is so amazing, actually, there's absolutely no stress nor any pressure. I could get used to working like that.

And that's all :).
3 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 pm

Hello again. It is nice to see you back and to see a fellow student of Greek. If I may be permitted to engage in a bit of self-promotion, I just made this probably too long post discussing autodidactic learning of Latin including many things which could be useful for someone of your level.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Return to “Language logs”