LDS' Greek Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: LDS' Greek Log

Postby Neurotip » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi! I'm also learning Greek, also just for fun. There are actually quite a few people here interested in Greek. I don't know if you've seen the study group thread - not very active but worth looking at.

Will be following your log with interest!
0 x
Corrections welcome here

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 45#p145945

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Neurotip wrote:Hi! I'm also learning Greek, also just for fun. There are actually quite a few people here interested in Greek. I don't know if you've seen the study group thread - not very active but worth looking at.

Will be following your log with interest!

Hi and thanks! I'll definitely check out that thread :D
0 x
Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes!

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 pm

lildreamsnatcher wrote:.
Another curious thing is that sometimes, to realize that my own language can be also silly, I need to look at it from a distance. So when I saw "ζιγκ ζαγκ" it really weirded me out – what's up with that word?! – only to realize that in Polish we have the same thing. It's such an unusual word, I'll have to check where it came from. I've heard it lots of times before, but I've never wondered about it.

Zigzag? English and French have it too!
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:42 pm

lichtrausch wrote:
Another curious thing is that sometimes, to realize that my own language can be also silly, I need to look at it from a distance. So when I saw "ζιγκ ζαγκ" it really weirded me out – what's up with that word?! – only to realize that in Polish we have the same thing. It's such an unusual word, I'll have to check where it came from. I've heard it lots of times before, but I've never wondered about it.

Really? Wow, I didn't know that! I hardly ever need to use that word, so I'll blame that for my ignorance :D. But it's always great to find common words across many languages <3
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am

So I'm starting my last year at the University tomorrow! Which might mean I'll have to slow down with learning languages at some point, but who knows what's going to happen. I have no idea how this year is going to look like, which irks me to no end, since how can I plan anything without a fixed schedule? I'll try my best to keep up with Greek, though – I really don't want to lose all that progress I've made so far.

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (21/459)
+40
I see that I've already slowed down a bit and I don't like it. Will work on that.

2) Keep making mems (done: 168)
+13
No complaints here.
There are some words though that are hard to mem in my usual way, so I'll have to come up with something new. Like, finding movie titles or songs that have the word I need and remembering it thanks to that?

3) Listen some more (16 hours)
+3 hours
Progress!
It seems that whenever I make progress on one thing, the other one suffers a bit. Kinda ironic.
Last edited by lildreamsnatcher on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:12 pm

lichtrausch wrote:

Just the other day I heard the infinitive verb "zigzagare" in my Italian audiobook and I did a double take. At first I was wondering if it was an Italianized English word. I didn't realize that word was also in Polish (I found zygzak when I looked it up just now). Usually when I find a word that is common to both Italian and Polish it means that it originates from Greek.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm

StringerBell wrote:Just the other day I heard the infinitive verb "zigzagare" in my Italian audiobook and I did a double take. At first I was wondering if it was an Italianized English word. I didn't realize that word was also in Polish (I found zygzak when I looked it up just now). Usually when I find a word that is common to both Italian and Polish it means that it originates from Greek.

Huh, so the zigzak club is getting bigger! Funny that such a random word can be so common.

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (61/459)
+43

2) Keep making mems (done: 181)
+6

3) Listen some more (19 hours)
+2 hours

So I've found by an accident, believe it or not, a Greek TV series that is easy enough for me to follow and is not cringe-worthy (it seems that Greek TV has something in common with the Polish one; they're both pretty mediocre, if not a bit bad). It's called Το Σόι Σου and it's available on youtube (the first season is unavailable in my country, but it's that kind of a show that can be watched in random order for the most part, so I'm not despairing too much). It's basically about two families trying to live together despite all sorts of misunderstandings, so the vocabulary is rather basic, thankfully, and it revolves around day-to-day, simple matters. I might get bored with that quickly, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Also I'm thinking about attending the Polyglot Gathering! I've never been to one before, but this time it's going to be in my country so it would be a shame to miss such an opportunity.
2 x

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 pm

StringerBell wrote:
lichtrausch wrote:

Just the other day I heard the infinitive verb "zigzagare" in my Italian audiobook and I did a double take. At first I was wondering if it was an Italianized English word. I didn't realize that word was also in Polish (I found zygzak when I looked it up just now). Usually when I find a word that is common to both Italian and Polish it means that it originates from Greek.

I can add German "Zickzack" and Swedish "sicksack".
0 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Nogon wrote:I can add German "Zickzack" and Swedish "sicksack".

That word is crazy, I swear XD
0 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:16 pm

1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (104/459)
+76

2) Keep making mems (187/1646)
+17

3) Listen some more (21 hours)
+2 hours, 20 minutes

I can't believe it was such a good week? But I'm looking at the numbers and it's clear I'm moving forward in the direction I want and I couldn't be happier! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I'm still keeping up with the surprising good French course on Duolingo and I've also started the Latin course, which is very disappointing. But maybe that's becouse I'm way past the beginner stage so the course would have disappointed me no matter what... or maybe the pronunciation just really sucks (I prefer traditional pronunciation to classical, but even then, the American accent is so heavy! I know it might be rude of me to be complaining about such a thing, but it's really disturbing when you're used to Latin with a "Polish" accent). And sentences like "drunk parrots write poems" aren't impressive at all. Or even funny.

But that course made me miss a bit more the most wonderful book Lingua Latina per se Illustrata. So now I'm thinking about getting back to it, but I'm not sure if I can handle three languages going at once. Or rather, if I have time for them.

Until next week!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”