BOLIO's Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Re: BOLIO's Spanish log

Postby BOLIO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 pm

I did a fun experiment today. I went back and watched episode 27 of Destinos. Oh wow. How times have changed for me in Spanish. I won't pretend it was like they were speaking English, but it was very close to it. I can remember watching an episode over and over getting very little from some of the quicker exchanges. Now, they seem very slow and very exaggerated in their speaking. It was fun. Now, I wait for the day that the evening news in Spanish appears the same to me.

I am moving through Unit 33 of FSI. I will have it done by this weekend. Also, I am really enjoying using the Headstart to Spain at livelingua.com as an audio program. FSI and it's variations really are good stuff. I would be much further along in Spanish if over the last 6 months I had completed FSI vs my other activities.

All the best,

BOLIO
1 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:42 pm

That's cool. I still remember lesson 23 of Assimil and getting stuck on it as being "too difficult". A few years later I went back and chuckled. It's great to see progress. Keep on moving and enjoying Spanish!
0 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Just wanted to drop in.

I have finished Unit 35 of FSI. Which is as far as I had gotten the first attempt at FSI. So now, I am back in uncharted waters.

I am still resolved to listen to something EVERDAY. Veintmundos, local news, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission Impossible III, The last Star Trek movie. Something everyday. I don't know if I can measure the improvement yet. I think I can but who knows. I will continue. I remember what James29 said when following this course suggested by Iguanamon. He said it did not happen as quickly as he would have liked but it did happen. That is what I believe. It will happen.

All the best,

BOLIO
0 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 am

It has been a while. I hope everyone is well.

I have a unique for me situation. I have two weeks away from work. Never in my adult life can I remember such a thing. So, I can dedicate up to 6 hours a DAY towards Spanish. I always wanted to try L-R. I mean really do it. Here is the question.

Do I do it with material on my level and do L2 / L2 or do I use more advanced and start with L2 / L1???

I would love to hear from those who have used the method. I have all the materials needed for either way. Thanks in advance.

All the Best,

BOLIO
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Good to see you back posting again, Bolio. Six hours a day to devote to Spanish, wow! Here's the thing though, more time and more study doesn't necessarily equate to more learning., but sure, try the original LR method. I'm curious to see how it works for you. For me, it just wasn't my thing, but for those with whom it makes a good fit, many have seen quite good results.

Give it a fair go, but as with anything in language-learning if you feel as if you are slamming your head into a brick wall, stop! If for some reason you don't find it to your liking, perhaps devoting some time to binge watching a series in Spanish (actively, not passively) could also be a huge boost to your Spanish.

At any rate, I am glad to see that you are still learning. The main thing with learning a language is "not quitting". Welcome back!
3 x

James29
Blue Belt
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)

Postby James29 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

It is good to see you here, Bolio. I second everything Iguanamon said.

I never really had success with "LR" and was somewhat disappointed after spending quite a bit of time doing it. That being said, I'd do whatever you think you would like the best. I, personally, would have an extremely difficult time devoting that much time to Spanish unless I was simply reading a good book. Even if I was reading a wonderfully interesting book I'd think six hours a day for two weeks would be tough.

Have you thought of taking a trip and doing an immersion school for two weeks? I did that in the Dominican Republic and in Ecuador and loved the experience. If you do a package deal including room and board with a local family it is actually quite cheap.

If I were to study six hours a day I think I'd have to mix things up a bit. Plus, I'd probably end up spending a good three hours or so every day doing something very easy/fun like reading a good book or watching a good telenovela. Whatever you do make sure it is something that you really want to do. It will make it much more productive and enjoyable.
3 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

My experiment never got off the ground. Of the two weeks vacation, I spent three days in the hospital and felt horrible for the remaining days. It was not very conducive for quality study.

I feel as if I am making progress with my listening skills. I do try to listen every day. It has not happened as quickly as I thought it would.

I started Unit 47 of FSI yesterday. Wow. This going to take some time. After I finish all the Units, I will go back thru the entire course but as an audio only course.

Hope all is well,

BOLIO
2 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 am

A small update. I am working on this mountain called Unit 47 FSI Spanish Basic course. It is not so much the content that is the cause of the difficulty as it is the volume.

I started reading Oscar Wilde's El Retrato de Dorian Gray. I had listened to the audio version and understood little. I am listening to the audio while reading even though the translations are not exact.

I am really working on my listening. I am trying to relax and just listen. My mind still wants to translate. I am fighting it by relaxing.

Hope all is well,

BOLIO
1 x

James29
Blue Belt
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)

Postby James29 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:53 am

Yes, unit 47 is a bruiser. I always thought that was the toughest lesson. There is another one (either 48 or 49) that is just as tough. After that it will start getting easier again. Those dialogue build ups are just ridiculously long. I was never able to repeat the full build ups.
1 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 am

Update for today.

Two hours extensive reading /listening and 30 minutes FSI. good day for me.

I have tried extensive reading in the past but would succumb to the fear of not looking up the unknown words. I am making a vow to quit seeking perfection and just move forward in a relaxed state.

I will track my hours vs pages. I will focus on a short term goal of 200 hours of extensive reading / listening (listening to the audio while I am reading).

2/200 hrs done

Iguanamon and others, thanks for the help on the other thread about extensive reading. The links provided and the counsel were superb.

BOLIO
2 x

Return to “Language logs”