Chris' Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Chris' Korean Log

Postby Christi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:10 am

Would you mind sharing that news site with me? It sounds very interesting :ugeek:
2 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

chris3spice
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:16 am

Christi wrote:Would you mind sharing that news site with me? It sounds very interesting :ugeek:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sublist_740.html
1 x

chris3spice
White Belt
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 am

2019/08/06

Studied 99 Anki Cards

Still not feeling the best today, still managed to study my Anki Cards due.

--- Cumulative Stats ---

Active Listening Time: 9 hours
Passive Listening: 10 hours 40 Minutes
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am

chris3spice wrote:
Christi wrote:Would you mind sharing that news site with me? It sounds very interesting :ugeek:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sublist_740.html

Wow! Such a gem! Will definitely be using this in preparation for Topik!
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

qeadz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (~A2)

Postby qeadz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Its a hard slog learning Korean. I started for pretty much the same reasons as you:

To communicate with my parents-in-law. I also don't particularly like most K-dramas and I've found very little K-pop that I am interested in.

What I've found is that many resources do not focus on the kind of language you'll be wanting in your situation. There is always overlap, but there is a huge focus on activities external to the home for much Korean material. It makes sense - most people are visiting or looking to study there and they're wanting to order food at a restaurant, say where they come from and that kind of thing.

But actually a bunch of that is taken care of rather easily when you're there with a fiancee/spouse and going about with family members.

Here are a few examples of things I've wanted to communicate:

I'm outside the apartment and the gate is locked.
Did my wife go downstairs with our son? (this in a multi-level supermarket where we became separated)
May I have a towel please?
The bathroom is out of toilet paper!
I'm going to the childrens park with {son}, when my wife gets back thats where we'll be.

Plus all the usual pleasantries of thank you's, noting that food is delicious, and offering to do things.

Thats from my side, but from my parents-in-law there is also things they may want to communicate. Such as where they are going, when they will be back, asking me to lock up if I leave the house.

So all this rambling is leading me to this suggestion:

Alongside your study material, start to build up core vocab and phrases for things you expect you'll want to communicate. The phrases and sentences don't need to be opaque constructs - you can apply your study of grammar to break them down and understand how they go together. But the key is that you have some well-rehearsed constructs that are ready to go. And a bunch of vocab that you can slot in.
3 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:31 pm

qeadz wrote:What I've found is that many resources do not focus on the kind of language you'll be wanting in your situation. There is always overlap, but there is a huge focus on activities external to the home for much Korean material. It makes sense - most people are visiting or looking to study there and they're wanting to order food at a restaurant, say where they come from and that kind of thing.

qeadz wrote:So all this rambling is leading me to this suggestion:

Alongside your study material, start to build up core vocab and phrases for things you expect you'll want to communicate. The phrases and sentences don't need to be opaque constructs - you can apply your study of grammar to break them down and understand how they go together. But the key is that you have some well-rehearsed constructs that are ready to go. And a bunch of vocab that you can slot in.

I've recently been using these books and they seem to be really practical:

- "Mild Korean" by Haemin Han and Sanghyun Ahn (For complete beginners)
- "Wild Korean" by Sanghyun Ahn (For Upper-Beginner to Intermediate levels)

Here is the preface of the "Wild Korean" book:

This book is currently being used at the free Korean class, Kongbubang offered at the Garwol welfare center near Sookmyung Women’s University station, Seoul, Korea. It’s made from the actual lesson materials of the last three years.
I started to teach Korean in the spring of 2008 and I have always thought about essential Korean expressions for expats ever since I started teaching. What is the simplest and most realistic way to teach the Korean language? That has been my guiding principle when preparing classes and making this book.
When I started to teach, I just used textbooks from a bookstore. As I taught more lessons, I started to think about the student’s needs more seriously, and came to be pickier about the textbook I used. Most students wanted to learn practical, easy, and useful Korean for real life. But much of the content in the textbooks I was using was too formal or too difficult, or the lessons were too long and uninteresting. It was very difficult to find the ideal textbook for the class.
In November 2008, I started to make my own lesson materials for the class. Although they didn’t look as polished or professional, as I didn’t use any photos or pictures, I could teach useful expressions and vocabulary with simple grammar points. While teaching each chapter, I observed the students’ responses and adjusted the difficulty. I amended awkward or complicated expressions and made them natural and easy, considering the level of students. Also, I supplemented the lesson material with important vocabulary, explanation of grammar points, conversations, useful expressions, and exercises to help students study by themselves.
By August 2010, the first unofficial book with 150 pages was completed. It contained twenty chapters and two song lessons. After the first book came out, I continued to edit it, and now this official book is finally ready to be published.
Talking with various students of Korean made me think about what basic aspects of the Korean language are truly essential for students to learn. This idea was the starting point of this book, and I believe it’s the essential point of practical Korean lessons.

And they also have an official blog from where you can download the audios for the books: Wild Korean blog

I'm enjoying these books a lot. :D
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

chris3spice
White Belt
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:47 am

2019/08/07
    Studied 110 Anki Cards
    Read Korean Made Simple Chapter 4 -Created 25 Anki Cards

2019/08/08
    Studied 42 Anki Cards
    Read Korean Made Simple Chapter 5 - Created 11 Anki Cards

Forgot to post the other day so here are both days stats! Good thing I keep them in a txt file I keep open in VIM. I did do some passive listening but I did not keep track of the time so I'll leave that un-updated.

--- Cumulative Stats ---

0 x

chris3spice
White Belt
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:03 am

@AndyMeg I'll have to check those books out. I like anything with sentences I can mostly understand and those seem like they would be a good fit.

@qeadz I do know some phrases like that and can use them I really am needing to learn how to talk about my childhood and such because that's what her parent's are always asking about. They are talkative where as I am usually very quiet and don't like talking. Usually cause I don't have anything I wanna say even in English I barely talk to people.
1 x

chris3spice
White Belt
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:52 am

2019/08/09

Read Korean Made Simple Chapter 6 - Created 23 Cards
    Reviewed 54 Anki Cards

Messed around with Supermemo more... Having a tough time trying to decide which one I want to use... Anki or SM...
Didn't do any listening today either! Tomorrow I'm planning on going to the cafe and studying.

--- Cumulative Stats ---

0 x

chris3spice
White Belt
Korean (Beginner)

Postby chris3spice » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 am

2019/08/10

Watched 턴널 on Netflix

Used Supermemo for part of Chapter 15 of Korean from Zero... Not sure how many cards I added or reviewed today, not sure how to find those numbers for sure in SuperMemo. Still torn between it and Anki...

--- Cumulative Stats ---

Active Listening Time: 11 hours
2 x

Return to “Language logs”