Korean Immersion Odyssey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: Korean Immersion Odyssey

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:33 am

olusatrum wrote:
Christi wrote:I have the same problem. Korean internet is confusing. Have encountered a lot of sites that used very old-fashioned interfaces or used things like flashwave or other stuff that doesn't work too well anymore.
I tried joining a few online fan cafés a while ago.. it was so difficult to figure out or to find any nice looking ones. So I've given up on that idea :lol:

Do you mind sharing which blogs you've found? I liked the one you shared before :)

Yes! What is up with the geocities vibe??? I read this interesting article on the differences between American and Japanese web design, and I think Korean web design is similar. I'm not huge on fandoms but I did look at some cafes for other topics I'm interested in. I was pretty much immediately confused by the leveling up system, though.

So I literally went to blog.naver.com, hit 주제별 보기, and browsed what felt interesting to me. I think the 사진 section worked out because either the thumbnail photo is interesting or it's not. If it's an interesting picture, it's probably at least minimally interesting to read a little about it. Here's some photo and video of a lovely starry night sky at 태안 beach, and here's some beautiful shots of lotus flowers with a discussion of different types of cameras and photography. I have not read a lot yet, but the other nice thing about looking for photo stories is that even if I get totally discouraged on the text, there's some nice pictures to look at.

A sort of turbocharged method of searching for interesting texts via photos is Instagram. The only problem is the texts under photos tend to be very short. But that can actually be desirable at the early stages or when you only have a few minutes to spare.
0 x

Saylem
Languages: English (N), French, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby Saylem » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 am

You're probably over this hurdle already, but just in case...

olusatrum wrote:
qeadz wrote: Like for example I came across 무렵 the other day, which just said "time," but is actually a bound noun meaning an approximate time period, and thus more of a grammar principle than a simple 1-1 translation of "time." Bound nouns really throw me sometimes,

무렵.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 am

Good point about 무렵, I removed it from the deck. I try to avoid having bound nouns there because it doesn't make sense studying them on their own.
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Return to “Language logs”