Dave's log, (German and French)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: 10,000 pages of German

Postby einzelne » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:33 pm

luke wrote:You mean 1% of the words have to be deciphered based on the context and other clues, right?

Makes sense to me. The target language seems to swim in my head more when I do highly comprehensible material, as opposed to difficult stuff.

Just trying to understand perspective.

Yes, that usually means that I can pick up a paper book and read it for my own pleasure. Unknown words don't hamper comprehension: they are distributed sparsely over the page (2-3 words per page) or, if they are clustered together, it's usually some descriptions and they are inessential to the plot/argument.

That doesn't mean that I don't read books with a higher percentage of unknown words. But in that case I usually need some crutches — a translation for the first 50 or so pages or a pop-up dictionary.
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:51 pm

66. Mein Weg über die Pyrenäen by Lisa Fittko

I read this without looking up any unknown words.

This book is from DTV's Jugendbuch (young adult) range, the publisher's age guidance is "ab 14 jahren".

This is a memoir. At the start of WW2 Ms Fittko was a political refugee in France. When war was declared Ms Fittko was interned as an enemy alien, first in Paris, then moved to a camp at Gurs, near the Spanish border. As the German army advanced, and the situation in France became more confused the opportunity came for Ms Fittko and a number of her co-internees to escape from the camp. She then traveled towards Marseilles, met up with her husband, and eventually made her way to Banyuls-sur-mer where she lived for several months, working with Varian Fry's American Rescue Committee organisation to help German refugees, and others, bypass the French border guardposts, and enter Spain via an old smugglers' path.

Mr and Mrs Fittko then made their way through Spain to Portugal, and sailed to Cuba where they lived out the rest of WW2, eventually immigrating to the USA in 1948.

Lisa Fittko interviews:

Books/writers mentioned in the text include: Walter Benjamin.

There seem to be two books about Varian Fry in German, Mit dem letzten schiff by Eveline Hasler, and Mr Fry's autobiography Auslieferung auf Verlangen.

67. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

I read this on an eReader, looking up all unknown words.

While fictional, the basis for Robinson Crusoe seems to have been the real life experiences of Alexander Selkirk, and Henry Pitman.

https://www.franceculture.fr/histoire/d ... son-crusoe

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/terra- ... e-102.html

An instant best-seller it was Mr Defoe's first novel, although he had writing experience as a pamphleteer and journalist.

https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... niel-defoe

https://www.ardmediathek.de/video/klass ... jg1NmU2Yg/
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:10 pm

68. Die Flußpiraten des Mississippi by Friedrich Gerstäcker

I read this on an eReader, looking up all unknown words. I listened to the audioBook version of each chapter after reading the text.

Mr Gerstäcker travelled to the USA as a young man, worked his way across the country in a variety of jobs, and returned to Germany six years after leaving. He had kept a diary of his experiences, and was able to adapt this for publication as his first book "Streif- und Jagdzüge durch die Vereinigten Staaten Nordamerikas". Karl May is said to have used Mr Gerstäcker's travel writing for research for his western novels.

69. Sein wie keine andere by Ingeborg Gleichauf

This is another of DTV's Young Adult books, the publishers age guidence is "ab 13 jahren". I feel there were more unknown words for me in this text than in last DTV book 'mein weg über die pyrenäen'.

This is a biography of Simone de Beauvoir. She was born into a wealthy French family, however her father lost the bulk of his fortune in the Russian revolution. She was a keen student, and worked as a philosophy teacher before becoming a professional writer.

Books/writers mentioned in the text include:
Ms de Beauvoir's books are published in German by Rowohlt. Her French publisher is Gallimard.

Tania Schlie, writing as Caroline Bernard, has written a novel based on Ms de Beauvoir's life: Die Frau von Montparnasse.

Some radio programmes:

Courses
Finished my Deutsch alles drin/Wortschatz course, hurrah! Started the other course contained with Deutsch alles drin: German grammar in a nutshell.

French
I watched a number of documentaries with French audio and English subtitles from Arte.tv. Some very interesting ones about group decision making among pack/herd animals, "democracy in the animal kingdom" and "animal social networks". I also learnt that a south american mummy in a Brussels museum was the inspiration for both a Tintin villain, and Edvard Munch's The Scream! :-)
Last edited by DaveAgain on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:09 pm

A book about Simone de Beauvoir which doesn't mention Sartre in the text! How did that happen?
3 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Le Baron wrote:A book about Simone de Beauvoir which doesn't mention Sartre in the text! How did that happen?
I only list the writers that I can find out of copyright texts for. :-)
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 pm

70. Das Lied von Bernadette by Franz Werfel

I read this on an eReader looking up all unknown words.

In 1940 Mr Werfel, a political refugee in France, was trying to leave the country before the arrival of the German military. For several weeks he stayed in Lourdes, a town near the Spanish border, waiting for the exit visa that was required to be allowed to pass the French border.

During his stay in Lourdes he learned the story of Bernadette Soubirous, the young girl whose visions of "a beautiful lady" in the cave of Massabeille, and the appearance of a spring there to which are attributed many miraculous healings, made Lourdes a centre of pilgrimage.

Es war eine angstvolle Zeit. Es war aber zugleich auch eine hochbedeutsame Zeit für mich, denn ich lernte kennen die wundersame Geschichte des Mädchens Bernadette Soubirous und die wundersamen Tatsachen der Heilungen von Lourdes. Eines Tages in meiner großen Bedrängnis legte ich ein Gelübde ab. Werde ich herausgeführt aus dieser verzweifelten Lage und darf die rettende Küste Amerikas erreichen – so gelobte ich –, dann will ich als erstes vor jeder andern Arbeit das Lied von Bernadette singen, so gut ich es kann.

Dieses Buch ist ein erfülltes Gelübde. Ein epischer Gesang kann in unserer Epoche nur die Form eines Romans annehmen. »Das Lied von Bernadette« ist ein Roman, aber keine Fiktion. Der mißtrauische Leser wird angesichts der hier dargestellten Ereignisse mit größerem Recht als sonst bei geschichtlichen Epen die Frage stellen: »Was ist wahr? Was ist erfunden?« Ich gebe zur Antwort: All jene denkwürdigen Begebenheiten, die den Inhalt dieses Buches bilden, haben sich in Wirklichkeit ereignet. Da ihr Anbeginn nicht mehr als achtzig Jahre zurückliegt, spielen sie im hellsten Licht der Geschichte, und ihre Wahrheit ist von Freund und Feind und von kühlen Beobachtern in getreuen Zeugnissen erhärtet. Meine Erzählung verändert nichts an dieser Wahrheit.

Nur dort wurde das Recht der dichterischen Freiheit in Anspruch genommen, wo das Kunstwerk gewisse chronologische Zusammendrängungen erforderte, und wo es galt, den Lebensfunken aus dem Stoff zu schlagen.

Ich habe es gewagt, das Lied von Bernadette zu singen, obwohl ich kein Katholik bin, sondern Jude. Den Mut zu diesem Unternehmen gab mir ein weit älteres und viel unbewußteres Gelübde. Schon in den Tagen, da ich meine ersten Verse schrieb, hatte ich mir zugeschworen, immer und überall durch meine Schriften zu verherrlichen das göttliche Geheimnis und die menschliche Heiligkeit – des Zeitalters ungeachtet, das sich mit Spott, Ingrimm und Gleichgültigkeit abkehrt von diesen letzten Werten unseres Lebens.

https://www.projekt-gutenberg.org/werfe ... ap001.html

The book became a bestseller, and has been adapted into a radio play, and a Hollywood film.

There is a short bio of Bernadette Soubirous on the Lourdes Santuaire website, in several languages, and Anne Bernet has written a French language biography.

Some media links:
------------
When I was looking for information on Mr Werfel, I found an English language video "Your Top Favorite Religiously-themed Works of Fiction" that in addition to Mr Werfel's book, also mentioned German novella Die Letzte am Schafott by Gertrud von le Fort, the most recent edition of this seems to be Reclam (ISBN: ‎ 9783150079379), Georges Bernanos adapted it into the French language screenplay Dialogues des Carmelites.

71. Das Jahr der Wölfe by Willi Fährmann

I read this without looking up any unknown words, I borrowed it from the Goethe eLibrary.

This is a Young Adult book, the publisher's age recommendation is "ab 12 jahren".

This is a novel telling the story of an East Prussian farming family fleeing the advancing Russian army towards the end of WW2. While Mr Fährmann was a child during this time, the story is not based on his experiences but is informed by the real life experiences of one of his friends.

Some links:

------
I also found a Swiss radio programme, Lebensgeschichte, but I couldn't understand either the interviewer or the interviewee! :-(

72. Perfect Copy by Andreas Eschbach

I read this without looking up any unknown words, I borrowed it from the Goethe eLibrary.

This is another Young Adult book, the publisher's age recommendation is "ab 12 jahren"

This is thriller with a Clone theme. I can't describe the plot without giving the story away! :-)

Some links:

Courses
I abandoned my Deutsch Alles drin: German grammar in a nutshell course, and I'm trying Schmitt and Dreyer's a practice grammar of German instead, I borrow this from the Goethe eLibrary. There is a textbook and a separate answer book.

I first heard of this in a YouTube video, but if you search the forum for Dreyer or Gelbe you will find several people have used it.

French

I watched a biopic about Bernadette Soubirous, and I'm currently watching a French police series Les rivières pourpres (UK title: The Crimson Rivers).

EDIT
Wikipedia have some historial book sales informantion for the USA " as determined by Publishers Weekly". In 1942 The Song of Bernadette was the bestselling book in the USA, it was the 10th bestselling book in 1943.
Last edited by DaveAgain on Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:49 pm

This post has been patiently waiting in a text file Limbo while I very slowly read Noble House, which I have finally finished! :-)

73. Jacobowsky und der Oberst by Franz Werfel

I read this on an eReader, looking up all unknown words.

This is play, set in the end of the Battle of France in 1940. A polish officer Colonel Stjerbinsky, his valet, and a Jewish businessman, Mr Jacobowsky, join together to flee to the French-Spanish border. Mr Jacobowsky has a car, but cannot drive, Colonel Stjerbinsky is charged with carrying some secret documents to the polish forces in England, and can drive. However the Colonel has a personal mission too, he must collect his lady-love and carry her to safety before the arrival of the Germanic horde, unfortunately for Mr Jacobowsky the lady lies to the west rather than the south.

The play was adapted into the Hollywood film Me and the Colonel, there are several promotional clips for theatre performances on YouTube, so I believe the play is still performed in German-speaking countries, but I couldn't find a complete performance.

Some radio programmes:

74. Der lange Weg des Lukas B. by Willi Fährmann

This is a young adult book, the publisher's age recommendation is "ab 12 jahren", I borrowed it from the Goethe eLibrary.

Hard times in 1860s Germany drive a group of German carpenters to try their luck in the USA. They are joined by a teacher who is experiencing political persecution by the Prussian state, heavy handed treatment of political activists being a response to the failed revolution of 1848, which itself caused a wave of political refugees to emigrate the USA. The Franco-Prussian war of 1870 broke out after they had left.

One minor plot-point mentions the freeing of the Prussian serfs in 1810, not quite slaves, but farming people tied to land, with certain obligations to the land-owner.

Some radio programmes:

75. Noble House by James Clavell (ISBN: 9783426190609)

The mini-series adaptation of this book was broadcast recently on UK TV, I'll read ahead in German! I thought, some months after the TV series ended I've finally finished the book. :-)

French

I'm currently reading Albert Cohen's Le livre de ma mère, and listening to some radio programmes about Mr Cohen.

I'm currently reading the Fables de Jean de la Fontaine, I'm using a paperback edition, but ebooksgratuits.com have an out of copyright eBook, and Lettres à un jeune poète by Rainer Maria Rilke.

TV
Arte have stopped supporting my TV model, so I no longer have access to their catch-up app. A lot of their programmes are availabe on their YouTube channels, so I can use YouTube's TV app to watch them, but they no longer come with English subtitles, so I just watch concerts from the Arte Concert channel.

I've run out of French & German programmes to watch on UK telly, so I've widened the criteria to Germanic & Romance languages. I'm currently watching La mafia uccide solo d'estate (UK title: Mafia only kills in summer) the only French>Italien cognate I've conciously noticed is Alors>allora, I'm sure there are lots more passing me by. :-)

EDIT
Archive.org have a radio drama of Jacobowsky und der Oberst.
Last edited by DaveAgain on Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:06 pm

Der lange Weg des Lukas B looks interesting and I found an e-book of it, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

I have an old 1893 Hachette edition of La Fontaine's Fables. Over the years I have read in a scattered way from it. About 1/3 of the book is explanatory notes, which, like reading Shakespeare, is necessary to get all the nuances. I confess I've found the book tedious at times and wish he'd written at least some of them as prose. Poetry requires a different kind of comprehension facility. It's a fine art when you can engage with it, and when you can it runs smoothly, but you need to engage a lot. Otherwise it's just reading words and a lot of inner meaning is obscured.

In the same series/binding from the same year I have Voltaire's Lettres anglaises, which is much more straighforward.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:22 pm

Le Baron wrote:I have an old 1893 Hachette edition of La Fontaine's Fables. Over the years I have read in a scattered way from it. About 1/3 of the book is explanatory notes, which, like reading Shakespeare, is necessary to get all the nuances. I confess I've found the book tedious at times and wish he'd written at least some of them as prose. Poetry requires a different kind of comprehension facility. It's a fine art when you can engage with it, and when you can it runs smoothly, but you need to engage a lot. Otherwise it's just reading words and a lot of inner meaning is obscured.
I only read two pages, two or three poems, a day.

The edition I'm using has bottom of the page notes to explain any vocabulary they think is too obscure, and there are notes at the back that typically suggest what source text Mr Fontaine was using.

I quite like them so far, I may start reading them aloud.

I bought the book years ago with the idea of memorising some of the more popular poems, never did though :-).
2 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:33 pm

Due to a shortage of time on my end I could not read through every post of yours except the few ones in the beginning - my question is to you, how many total pages of reading are you into now since its inception? Thanks
1 x

Return to “Language logs”