Mista's new perpetual log (currently: Russian and Japanese))

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Araminta
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Español (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 2ec7b88c80

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Russian, Spanish and Arabic))

Postby Araminta » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 am

Mista wrote: As for the grammar section, I think it's excellent, it's just the price that makes me sceptical.

Yes, the price seems a bit steep to me too. I have some fantastic grammar books (Practice Makes Perfect, Gramática de uso del español), but I'm the online convenience and data driven interface is really nice. We will see.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Icelandic + various reading and listening)

Postby Mista » Sat May 01, 2021 12:36 am

Audiobooks
I’ve been doing some planning lately for how to proceed with my listening. One approaching problem is that in the car, I need CDs, preferably MP3-CDs (since they don’t need to be changed as often), and Amazon, annoyingly, stopped selling those around the time I got a car where I can play them (my previous car had a casette player, of all things). So about a week ago, I sat down and tried to find an alternative place to get Italian audiobooks on MP3-CD, and soon came to think of a bookstore mentioned in Vegantraveller’s log, which turned out to be an excellent place (https://www.hoepli.it/libreria_internazionale.aspx). They have a huge selection of audiobooks in the format I want, and they ship worldwide (the shipping is quite expensive, however). Once I had placed the order, I found out that they needed five days to get one of the products from an external provider, but once that was in, I found out why the shipping is so expensive: they use DHL Express, which means that I will have it on my door in two business days. However, I also noted that they offer free shipping within Italy, so I’ll keep that in mind for the next time I or anyone I know gets the chance to travel to Italy.

The books I ordered, and which I expect to receive on Monday, are:
- La storia (Elsa Morante)
- L’Isola di Arturo (also by Elsa Morante)
- La coscienza di Zeno (Italo Svevo)
I have read the first and third of these in translation, but not the second. I think it was the mention of that book in Kanewai’s log that was the first spark of the process that led me to all this, first thinking about La storia and then thinking about getting the audiobook.

At the same time, I have cancelled my Audible subscription, mainly because I’m finding it difficult to spend all my credits and therefore could use a break before I spend any more money there. Meanwhile, I have plenty to work with:
In English:
- The Secret History (Donna Tartt, one of my favorite books from my high school years)
- Animal Societies (non-fiction)
- Runner World’s Complete book of Running (non-fiction)
- The Fishermen (Chigozie Obioma)
- A Christmas Carol (Dickens)
- Mansfield Park (Austen)
- Stephen Fry’s Vistorian Secrets (podcast)
- We need to talk about the British Empire (podcast)
Spanish:
- Crimen y castigo (Dostoyevsky)
- El ruido de las cosas al caer (Juan Gabriel Vásquez)
French:
- Le Décaméron
Portuguese:
- Dom Quijote
Russian:
- Мастер и Маргарита
Most of these non-English books I plan to listen to more than once. I’m also planning to do some more Danish listening soon, but I get those audiobooks from a Danish provider, and then there are languages that aren’t even offered by Audible, like Arabic, Sami and Icelandic. I think it will be a while before I need to get more books from Audible.

April Super Challenge update (total numbers)

French
Books: 3930 pages = 78 books
Films: 5856 minutes = 65 films
Read Notre-Dame du Nil and started listening to Le Décaméron

Ancient Greek
Books: 79 pages = 1 book
A few more pages of Herodotus

Spanish
Books: 353 pages = 7 books
Films: 519 minutes = 3 films
Finished watching Dime quién soy, finished reading Tiempos recios and started on El misterio del solitario

Portuguese
Books: 262 pages = 5 books
Films: 1731 minutes = 19 films
Still listening to Dom Quijote

Swedish
Books: 1240 pages = 24 books
Films: 2773 minutes = 30 films
No change

Arabic
Films: 1030 minutes = 11 films
Listened to the first chapter of HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban three times. Learned the word for owl and getting used to the idea that the verb comes first in the sentence. Also, it’s fascinating how, if you know only 100 words in a language, those words are guaranteed to show up in any text or speech of any length. It’s not enough to make much sense of what you’re hearing, but at least it’s a reminder that you’re getting somewhere.

English
Books: 7521 pages = 150 books completed
Films: 5770 minutes = 64 films
Read Hard Times, To the Lighthouse, Wide Sargasso Sea, Mrs. Dalloway, Beloved, and The Importance of being Earnest, all for my literature classes. Finished The Gift of Rain on audio (excellent in content but not quite as excellent in form), and I’ve also now added all my English literature lectures.

Icelandic
Books: 681 pages = 13 books
Films: 1036 minutes = 11 films
Listened to Englar Alheimsins by Einar Már Guðmundsson, where I was able to understand some scenes here and there. I have now also read the book in Norwegian translation and filled in the blanks. I’m planning to listen through it in Icealndic again.
The English title of this book is Angels of the Universe. It is the story, narrated in first person, of a man suffering from schizophrenia, from his childhood, through his illness, and ending in his suicide. Judging from the book’s dedication, it is inspired by the life of the author’s brother, who died the year before the book was published. It is exclusively narrated form the sick man’s point of view, which makes it a very insightful and very touching read. The novel was a very deserving winner of the Nordic Council’s literature prize in 1995.

Sami
Books: 53 pages = 1 book
Films: 539 minutes = 6 films
Started listening to the audiobook Ilmmid gaskkas (fantasy for older children or teenagers), which I got at the library

Russian
Books: 265 pages = 5 books
Films: 1971 minutes = 18 films
Watched Andrei Rublev, Tarkovsky film about a medieval Russian painter, with my parents during the Easter holidays. It was well worth watching, especially if you are interested in the period, but we, at least needed support from the film’s wikipedia page to understand what was going on.

Danish
Books: 1316 pages = 24 books
Films: 1653 minutes = 18 films
No change from last month, except for a scientific article on Old Icelandic

Latin
Books: 98 pages = 2 books
No change from last month

German
Books: 283 pages = 5 books
Films: 2512 minutes = 27 films
Finished listening to Der Name der Rose

Italian
Books: 337 pages = 6 books
Films: 1286 minutes = 14 films
Read the first chapter of HP e il prigioniero di Azkaban, mostly to brush up on the content before starting the listening in Arabic. Listened to HP e la pietra filosofale.

Turkish
Films: 196 minutes = 2 films

Japanese
Films: 593 minutes = 6 films

Average per day
Books: 39 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 76 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
634 pages = 12 books
A few academic pages
10 x

Hash
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N)

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Icelandic + various reading and listening)

Postby Hash » Sat May 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Do you know anyone who speaks Nynorsk or is it just a written language?
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Sat May 01, 2021 5:05 pm

Hash wrote:Do you know anyone who speaks Nynorsk or is it just a written language?

Well, it's kind of both. There's no standard of pronunciation for either Bokmål or Nynorsk, so in that way, they are definitely just written langauges. When people do speak them, their dialects will shine through in their pronunciation. There are people who do, but it's not very common. A typical example is newsreaders, and apart from that, there is a professor at the university who insist on holding his lectures in Nynorsk. I also know someone who moved around so much in his childhood that he decided to give up on all the different dialects he was exposed to and just talk Bokmål for the rest of his life. Then, of course, some dialects are closer to Nynorsk than others, and some could probably pass for Nynorsk (Nynorsk is based on dialects, after all).
3 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:06 am

May Super Challenge update (total numbers)
French
Books: 4059 pages = 81 books
Films: 6115 minutes = 67 films
Listening to Le Décaméron. Reading Texaco by Patrick Chamoiseau, but that turned out to be quite challenging, and by the time I started to get into it, I had to return it to the library. I may pick it up again, but not until exams are finished.

Ancient Greek
Books: 79 pages = 1 book
No change

Spanish
Books: 598 pages = 12 books
Films: 628 minutes = 7 films
Reading El misterio del solitario, listening to Crimen y castigo

Portuguese
No change

Swedish
Books: 1240 pages = 24 books
No change

Arabic
No change
English
Books: 8731 pages = 174 books completed
Films: 5830 minutes = 64 films
Read Kintu, When the Emperor was Divine, Hamnet, Beka Lamb and Waiting for Godot.

Icelandic
Books: 961 pages = 19 books
Films: 1188 minutes = 13 films
Listening to Englar Alheimsins once more, and reading HP og blendingsprinsinn (book 6).

Sami
Films: 780 minutes = 6 films
Finished the audiobook Ilmmid gaskkas

Russian
No change

Danish
Books: 1316 pages = 24 books
Films: 1653 minutes = 18 films
No change

Latin
Books: 98 pages = 2 books
No change

German
Books: 283 pages = 5 books
Films: 2566 minutes = 28 films
Another episode of Babylon Berlin

Italian
Books: 337 pages = 6 books
Films: 2196 minutes = 24 films
Started listening to La storia

Turkish
No change

Japanese
No change

Average per day
Books: 37 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 75 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
634 pages = 12 books
No change
4 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:43 pm

June Super Challenge update (total numbers)
French
Films: 6115 minutes = 67 films
No change

Ancient Greek
Books: 127 pages = 2 books
Finished the first book of Herodotus

Spanish
Books: 706 pages = 14 books
Films: 853 minutes = 9 films
Finished reading El misterio del solitario, continued listening to Crimen y castigo

Portuguese
No change

Swedish
Books: 1502 pages = 30 books
Read Snöstormen, started reading Rysslands historia

Arabic
No change

English
Books: 9283 pages = 185 books completed
Read Think on my words and The River Between

Icelandic
Books: 1209 pages = 24 books
Films: 1430 minutes = 15 films
Finished listening to Englar Alheimsins and reading HP og blendingsprinsinn (book 6).

Sami
No change

Russian
No change

Danish
Books: 1680 pages = 33 books
Films: 1989 minutes = 22 films
Read Homo Sapienne by Niviaq Korneliussen and Og sådan blev det by Maren Uthaug, watched Retfærdighedens ryttere and Persona non grata (that’s the «Norwegian» title), started listening to Kastanjemanden

Latin
Books: 130 pages = 2 books
More Livius, reading the first book again

German
Books: 716 pages = 14 books
Finiseh the Aguila & Jaguar trilogy by Isabel Allende and started on the Krimi Ostfriesennacht

Italian
Books: 463 pages = 9 books
Films: 3023 minutes = 33 films
Finished listening to La storia, started reading La polvere del Messico

Turkish
No change

Japanese
No change

Average per day
Books: 39 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 73 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
634 pages = 12 books
216 = 2 films
Listening to Snorres kongesoger
9 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:40 pm

You have a clone, right, who does some of this? Well done! :)
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:You have a clone, right, who does some of this? Well done! :)

No, that would be cheating. My clone has to do her own Super Challenge ;)

I was planning to divide the time between the two 6WCs equally between Latin, Sami and Arabic, but I ended up doing Latin daily throughout the period and a little bit of the other languages now and then. I made an Anki deck with book 1 from Ab urbe condita in sentence cards, which will keep me busy a while yet. There are 950 cards and I get 10 new and 50 old every day - this takes around half an hour to work through. Right now I have 406 unseen cards, which means that I will get to the end around the time the 6wc finishes, if I keep on doing 10 new cards every day. I'm counting this for the Super Challenge, but only the first view, not the repetitions. During the first two weeks, I was also doing some dictionary work, looking up one or two words in each sentence (when necessary).

One very practical thing about AnkiDroid as a study tool is that it is very practical to bring along on vacation. It's there on your phone, and doesn't require internet. It's also very easy to use in small chunks at a time, and it keeps track of how much time you have spent studying that day.

July Super Challenge update (total numbers)
French
Films: 6563 minutes = 72 films
Le Décameron (audio)

Ancient Greek
No change

Spanish
Films: 853 minutes = 9 films
No change

Portuguese
Books: 504 pages = 10 books
Read Mistério de Natal

Swedish
Read Snöstormen, started reading Rysslands historia

Arabic
No change

English
Books: 10145 pages = 202 books completed
Read Hag-Seed, Giovanni’s Room, Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber, and started on Literary Theory: The Basics

Icelandic
No change

Sami
No change

Russian
No change

Danish
Books: 1868 pages = 37 books
Read the final 6 books of Vergils Aeneide

Latin
Books: 155 pages = 3 books
More Livius, reading the first book again

German
Books: 924 pages = 18 books
Finished Ostfriesennacht

Italian
Books: 498 pages = 9 books
Still reading La polvere del Messico

Turkish
No change

Japanese
No change

Average per day
Books: 37 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 70 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
670 pages = 13 books
1233 = 13 films
Read a chapter from Norsk Språkhistorie, continued listening to Snorres kongesoger
7 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Russian + Latin)

Postby Mista » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 pm

I’m currently doing Russian for the 6WC, which means Speakly, Drops and some reading. Reading seems a little bit easier now than it used to. I’m reading Donald Duck and getting it at the moment, so I think I’ll try again with Harry Potter after that.

Back in June I applied for a course in German literature at the university, and I was planning on using the summer to bruch up on my German, but unfortunately, I wasn’t accepted. Last Sunday, however, I got the message that I was accepted anyway. I guess that means I have some brushing up to do … We are supposed to write two papers of 7 pages each in the course of the semester. One thing I did today was to join a group read in a German group on Goodreads, which means that I will be reading Schiffbruch mit Tiger the coming month, and hopefully be able to say something sensible about it in German.

Apart from that, I’ll keep on studying literature this semester, which means a lot of reading in Norwegian and English. But I’ll also be doing a course in Old Norse, and one in Old French.

August Super Challenge update (total numbers)

French
Books: 4247 pages = 84 books
Films: 7144 minutes = 79 films
Finished le Décameron (audio). Read Les hirondelles de Kaboul and the first chapter of Evolution et structure de la langue française.

Ancient Greek
No change, but I did read the translation of Herodotus book 1, so now I’m ready to start on the Greek text again

Spanish
Films: 879 minutes = 9 films
Not much, but I did get back to Crimen y castigo after finishing the French audiobook

Portuguese
No change

Swedish
No change, but I have been thinking about getting back to Rysslands historia

Arabic
No change

English
Books: 11412 pages = 228 books completed
Finished Literary Theory: The Basics, read The Romance of the Forest, and various readings from the Norton Anthology of American Literature (Edwards, Franklin, Emerson)

Icelandic
No change

Sami
No change

Russian
Books: 358 pages = 7 books
Reading Азазель and Donald Duck

Danish
Books: 2164 pages = 43 books
Read Hvor der er fugle

Latin
Books: 169 pages = 3 books
More Livius (slow speed, only using anki)

German
Books: 931 pages = 18 books
A few pages of Deutsche Literaturgeschichte

Italian
No change

Turkish
No change

Japanese
No change

Average per day
Books: 36 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 67 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
670 pages = 13 books
1933 = 21 films
Finished Snorres kongesoger
6 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Russian + Latin)

Postby Mista » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:52 pm

October has been an incredibly busy month. Posting the September update now so I can start working on that for October ...

September Super Challenge update (total numbers)
French
Books: 4450 pages = 89 books
Films: 7144 minutes = 79 films
Read En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule

Ancient Greek
No change

Spanish
Films: 1235 minutes = 13 films
Continued listening to Crimen y castigo

Portuguese
No change

Swedish
No change

Arabic
No change.

English
Books: 11751 pages = 228 books completed
Films: 6124 minutes = 68 films
Read King Lear, started listening to Animal Societies on Audible

Icelandic
No change

Sami
No change

Russian
Books: 403 pages = 8 books
Films: 1971 minutes = 21 films
Continued reading Азазель and Donald Duck

Danish
Books: 2164 pages = 43 books
No change

Latin
Books: 192 pages = 3 books
No change

German
Books: 1048 pages = 20 books
Films: 3013 minutes = 33 films
Read Draußen vor der Tür and Schiffbruch mit Tiger (in progress). Listened to Mord im Orientexpress

Italian
No change

Turkish
No change

Japanese
No change

Average per day
Books: 35 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 65 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
670 pages = 13 books
1933 = 21 films
No change
3 x

Return to “Language logs”