Mista's new perpetual log (currently: Russian and Japanese))

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (classical intermezzo: Greek, Latin, Norse)

Postby Mista » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:44 pm

tungemål wrote:I started a resource list here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=16442 since I'm interested in studying some Old Norse.
If you've got more to contribute please do. Is there a good online dictionary somewhere?

Did you notice that there was an online version of a dictionary on the web page I shared earlier? http://www.edd.uio.no/perl/search/searc ... tabid=1275 I haven't tried it, so I don't know how good it is. I'm still using that course page as my sole source of resources, so I have nothing else to share at the moment.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (classical intermezzo: Greek, Latin, Norse)

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:58 pm

tungemål wrote:Is there a good online dictionary somewhere?
Yes. I just posted a couple Old Norse-English in your new resources page.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Arabic and Icelandic)

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:39 pm

It's almost February, and time to change focus. I've registered with Arabic in the upcoming 6WC, and will also focus on Icelandic. But first, a few words on what I have been doing in January.

Latin
Latin has been my 365C-language, and my project has been to read and make a parallell text of Livius' Ab urbe condita. A week back I started using around 40-50 minutes a day instead of 30, because I saw that if I did, I would make it through the first book by the end of the month - which I also did today. My next step is to work through the text again and identify the most essential vocabulary and look it up. Not sure when I'll get back to this, but I'm not planning to do it while the 6WC is running.

Ancient Greek
I haven't been as consistent with this as with Latin, but at least I have read a bit several times a week throughout the month, and I have now reached page 46 (in Herodotus). I think I'll try to continue with this at approximately the same intensity as I have done until now, at least until I reach the end of the first book at page 119. I had hardly touched Greek for about five years when I started this, and I noticed than I have forgotten some things, especially meanings of words and some irregular verb forms, but I also remember quite a lot, and I'm especially happy to observe that I still mostly remember the most annoying quirks of the ionian dialect.

Old Norse
I made it through the grammar book a while back, but at that time classes had already started, and they are focusing on modern Icelandic in the beginning, so I never got started on reading original texts. I'm still considering this for later in the spring, alternatively I may just take that class in Old Norse in the fall (which I may do regardless of what I do this spring, really).

And now, over to my plans for February and the first half of March (the 6WC period):

Arabic
My main resource for Arabic is the Mastering Arabic course, which I'll be using for a minimum of 30 minutes every day intil the course or the 6WC is finished. I am currently on chapter 12, but since I haven't been studying Arabic at all for a few months, I may need to start with some repetition. In addition to that, I feel it's time to start working on pronunciation (now that I'm starting to get fairly decent at distinguishing the sounds), and for that, I'm planning to use mondly, where I can also aquire some basic conversational skills. Hopefully, I'll be able to do this on a daily basis too, at least five times a week.

Icelandic
My main focus here will be to do the work I need to do for my class, which currently is studying modern Icelandic grammar and intensive reading of a literary text. In addition to that, I'd like to do some SC stuff, and the first thing I have in mind is to read the first Harry Potter book. I may also get an audio book and listen to that.

Other languages
In my stronger languages, I hope to keep on reading and listening to audiobooks, and maybe also watch some movies and/or TV, but preferably according to the principle that I read one book at a time, and for audiobooks, one for walking (audible) and one for driving (CD). Apart from Herodotus and Harry Potter in Icelandic, I'm planning to read a book in French, Horrora Borealis by the Swiss writer Nicolas Feuz. Not sure if there will be time for more, but I have a list just in case (there's also the possibility that I'll start reading something else entirely). In audiobooks, I just started listening to Der Name der Rose (Umberto Eco in German) in the car, and on audible I bought Dom Quijote in Portuguese, which I expect to get started on tomorrow.
6 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 pm

January Super Challenge update (total numbers)

French
Books: 3186 pages = 63 books
Films: 5519 minutes = 61 films
Finished Madame Bovary (reading) and Marie Antoinette (listening). Almost finished a lecture series on audible on the Front Populaire.

Ancient Greek
Books: 54 pages = 1 book
Finally made a proper start on Greek, and made almost halfway through the first book of Herodotus’ Histories

Spanish
Books: 116 pages = 2 books
Films: none
No change from last month

Portuguese
Books: 262 pages = 5 books
Films: none

Swedish
Books: 1240 pages = 24 books
Films: 1723 minutes = 19 films
Finished Brott och straff by Dostoyevsky (that’s Crime and Punishment) and read Sommarboken by Tove Jansson

Arabic
Books: none
Films: 564 minutes = 6 films
No change since lanst month

English
Books: 4881 pages = 97 books
Films: 2933 minutes = 32 films
Finished From the Gracchi to Nero (Roman history), read Pamela by Samuel Richardson (which was a good deal better than I had expected), started on American Dirt (which I hesitate to recommend) and The Tempest (where I have read the actual play but not the extensive supplementary literature in the Norton critical edition), and almost finished the audiobook Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby.

Icelandic
Books: 387 pages = 7 books
Films: 521 minutes = 5 films
Reading the first chapter of Bátur með segli og allt for my class

Sami
Books: 53 pages = 1 book
Films: 477 minutes = 5 films
NRK has released Moomin Valley (originally a Finnish & British co-production, so not available outside of Norway) with Sami speech, consisting of 13 episodes of 22 minutes each. I have now watched all the programs once with subtitles (Norwegian, the only option) and have started on a second round without.

Russian
Books: 257 pages = 5 books
Films: 469 minutes = 5 films

Danish
Books: 1303 pages = 24 books
Films: 1653 minutes = 18 films
Listened to the audiobook En dag i Ivan Denisovitjs liv

Latin
Books: 98 pages = 2 books
Finished the first book of Livius’ Ab urbe condita

German
Books: 283 pages = 5 books
Films: 1083 minutes = 5 films
Finished Der goldene Kompass and started on Der Name der Rose (both audio)

Italian
Books: 324 pages = 6 books
Films: 709 minutes = 7 films
Finished L’amica geniale (audio)

Turkish
Films: 196 minutes = 2 films

Japanese
Films: 113 minutes = 1 film

Average per day
Books: 46 pages (of 41)
Films: 59 minutes (of 75)

Nynorsk
602 pages = 12 books
Finished the Old Norse grammar book, and working on a collection of translated poems by Olav H. Hauge
8 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Mista wrote:Finished Brott och straff by Dostoyevsky (that’s Crime and Punishment) (...)

Some feat! Reading that piece of work in a target language... Impressive.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:26 pm

February Super Challenge update (total numbers)

French
Books: 3445 pages = 68 books
Films: 5541 minutes = 61 films
Read the thriller/crime novel Horrora Borealis by the Swiss writer Nicolas Feuz

Ancient Greek
Books: 69 pages = 1 book
A few more pages of Herodotus

Spanish
Films: 92 minutes = 1 film
Watched Retour à Ithaque

Portuguese
Films: 744 minutes = 8 films
Listening to Dom Quijote (which is 45 hours in total, so I'll be at it for a while)

Swedish
Films: 2668 minutes = 29 films
Took the next audiobook in the Guillou series, Blå Stjärnan, with me in the car when I went on winter vacation last week, and almost finished it.

Arabic
Films: 564 minutes = 6 films
No change since last month, but in March, the Arabic film festival will be arranged digitally (they were also hoping for some screenings at the cinemas, but with the new corona measures announced yesterday, I think all hope is out)

English
Books: 6277 pages = 125 books completed
Films: 3584 minutes = 39 films
Books: Robinson Crusoe, Utopia, Wide Sargasso Sea, We Need New Names, Mexican Gothic
Audiobook: The Color Purple
Film: The Merchant of Venice

Icelandic
Books: 394 pages = 7 books
Films: 613 minutes = 5 films
Saw the movie which in Norwegian is called Småfugler (forgot to check the Icelandic title)

Sami
Films: 492 minutes = 5 films
A few more minutes of Moomin Valley

Russian
Books: 257 pages = 5 books
Films: 469 minutes = 5 films

Danish

Latin

German
Films: 1604 minutes = 17 films
Continued listening to Der Name der Rose and started watching Babylon Berlin (my new dinner project)

Italian

Turkish

Japanese
Films: 593 minutes = 6 films
Shoplifters, In This Corner of the World, Tales from Earthsea, Princess Mononoke

Average per day
Books: 43 pages (of 41) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 63 minutes (of 75)

Nynorsk
612 pages = 12 books
A few more pages of Olav H. Hauge
5 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Re: Mista's new perpetual log (currently Russian, Spanish and Arabic))

Postby Mista » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Arabic
Finished the 6wc at chapter 17 in Mastering Arabic. I’m planning to get back to it next week, and maybe I’ll manage to finish the book before the next 6wc (when I’ll be doing Icelandic).

Russian
For a couple of weeks after the 6wc, I studied Russian by testing out Speakly, using the link to a month’s free trial that Raconteur provided. I ended up with only two weeks because I was still doing Arabic the first week, and then I forgot to bring the cord to my earphones on Easter vacation, so I let my family’s sanity outweigh my study needs. At any rate, I was planning to switch to Spanish at that point, but that turned out not to be allowed with the free trial. Still, I got to try it enough to find out that I am willing to pay for this the next time I’m returning to Russian.

Spanish
I brought Tiempos Recios with m eon Easter vacation, and over the holidays, I have been reading it for the 365c. One thing I have noticed while reading, a reflection I also made when I started reading French, is that my overview of the verbal system is poor, and that I’m unlikely to pick up much of it by reading alone. So this week, I started using Kwiziq. I wasn’t sure if I’d get a week’s free trial as I did with French, but it turns out that you do get that for both languages. So now I’m going to get as much as I can out of that, while also reading as much as I can of the book. Then I’ll return to Arabic when the free trial runs out. The only annoying thing now is that when I came home from vacation Wednesday night, I discovered that my TV and internet box has die don me while I was away, and due to Corona restrictions, they won’t let me og and pick up a new one, but insist that they have to send it in the mail, which means that if I’m really lucky, I’ll have my internet back on Monday. I’m planning to stay with my boyfriend over the weekend, but after that, I won’t be doing any online studying until my new modem arrives. As for paying for Kwiziq, I’m not sure yet. Maybe I’ll be willing to to one month some time. But this is the kind of resource I’d like to use as a supplement rather than as a full time resource, and in that perspective, the price level is completely ridiculous. If I could buy 300 tests for the price of a 3 month subscription, I’d be a lot more willing to part with that money.

March Super Challenge update (total numbers)

French
Books: 3715 pages = 74 books
Films: 5541 minutes = 61 films
Read Un thé à Istanbul and started on Texaco

Ancient Greek
Books: 76 pages = 1 book
A few more pages of Herodotus

Spanish
Films: 292 minutes = 3 film
Started watching Dime quién soy

Portuguese
Films: 1363 minutes = 15 films
Halfway through Dom Quijote

Swedish
Films: 2773 minutes = 30 films
Finished Blå Stjärnan

Arabic
Films: 934 minutes = 10 films
4 films from the film festival: Gaza mon amour, 200 meters, It must be heaven, Mayor

English
Books: 6403 pages = 128 books completed
Films: 3584 minutes = 39 films
Finished Mexican Gothic, planning to start the audiobook The Gift of Rain soon (wrote that on the 1st, now that I'm finally posting, I'm halfway through it)

Icelandic
Books: 681 pages = 13 books
Films: 676 minutes = 7 films
Watched an episode of Gettur betur, a quiz program with highschoolers, and read the first HP book

Sami
Films: 492 minutes = 5 films
No change

Russian
Books: 265 pages = 5 books
Films: 1689 minutes = 18 films
Read the same Pettson & Findus book as I have been reading in Sami (my library is obviously a big fan of this book), and listened to The Master and Margarita on audio

Danish

Latin

German
Films: 1956 minutes = 21 films
Continued listening to Der Name der Rose

Italian

Turkish

Japanese
Films: 593 minutes = 6 films

Average per day
Books: 41 pages (of 41/70) (stopped counting English pages at 100 books)
Films: 68 minutes (of 75/135)

Nynorsk
612 pages = 12 books
No change
7 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Arabic
As I’m working towards the end of chapter 18 in Mastering Arabic, I’m finding the content a little overwhelming. One problem is that there are sections on dictionary work, which are difficult for me to do because I only have a mini dictionary with no grammatical content. The obvious solution to that, of course, is to get a new one, and I have ordered the dictionary mentioned in the course book (Hans Wehr) from Amazon tonight. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get here, so I won’t get that exercise done in my current Arabic session, which I mean to finish in a week. On the other hand, there are also other problems that have made me think about taking a break from the book now anyway. Right now, there’s a lot of verbal morphology going on in the book, with new verb classes introduced in every chapter. So far, I’m finding it hard to remember both the morphology and the meaning of the verbs already introduced, so I don’t really need more verbs and more forms right now. What I do need is more listening, more vocabulary, and easier vocabulary. Mastering Arabic is setting us up to read newspapers, but my brain isn’t ready for various ministries, meetings and organizations. I’d rather have that Duolingo module which introduces the names of animals (unfortunately, the Arabic Duolingo course doesn’t have that module).

Some alternative study ideas:
- I have a book for native children teaching them to read, which comes with a cassette (yes, I’ve had it for a few years …). Once I’ve copied that cassette over to my computer, I’ll have a book with some sentences and lots of words with illustrations, and every single word in the book on audio.
- I’m considering getting a Harry Potter audiobook
- Drops was a little challenging last time I tried it for Arabic, but I imagine it might be better now
- Mondly is also a good place to aquire and practice vocabulary and basic grammar

Other
I finished reading Tiempos recios in Spanish, and got back to reading Herodotus in Greek. I’m planning to start reading Notre-Dame du Nil by Scholastique Mukasonga this weekend.

I have been listening to Englar Alheimsins in Icelandic, which I have on my computer, while knitting, and finished it today. My understanding of it is actually not that bad. I’m now planning to read the Norwegian translation, and then listen to it again. Meanwhile, this is the spot where I thought Harry Potter in Arabic could fit in.

On audible, which I use while walking, I have finished The Gift of Rain, and got back to Dom Quijote in Portuguese, where I’m now a little into part 3 of 4

In my car, where I listen to CDs, I’ve finished Der Name der Rose (German), and have now started Harry Potter e la pietra filosofale (Italian). Since I’ve been working extra this week, and use the car to and from and at work, I’ve been making more progress with these than usual. That situation will continue the rest of this week and maybe a little longer.
6 x

Araminta
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Español (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 2ec7b88c80

Postby Araminta » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 pm

What are your thoughts on Kwiziq? I see that you mentioned it in a previous post. I've started the free trial in Spanish this week and I'm wondering if it's worth the price.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Araminta wrote:What are your thoughts on Kwiziq? I see that you mentioned it in a previous post. I've started the free trial in Spanish this week and I'm wondering if it's worth the price.

I'm not sure I have much to add to what I've already said. I'm also still considering if it's worth the price. If I do decide to pay for it, I will probably get one month at a time, try to use it relatively intensively during that month, and then take a break. However, I have only used the grammar exercises and haven't even looked at their additional sections, so I have no idea how worthwhile those are. As for the grammar section, I think it's excellent, it's just the price that makes me sceptical.

As for the price, it's worth noting that they regularly have discounts on the 3 month subscription, and a week or two after my free trial expired, I was offered a 10% discount on the one month subscription (which I'm not considering right now because I have other plans than Spanish)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”