e.z.b's spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
mjfleck2000
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (C1), Irish(beginner)

Re: e.z.b's spanish log

Postby mjfleck2000 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:48 pm

e.z.b. wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Peru for the fall, and I have a lot of free time in the meantime, so I'm trying to see how much of a base I can give myself before I get there -- I plan to do a 1 week (or so) immersion class once I get over there, but I don't have time to do anything longer.

e.z.b.

Excellent! An immersion course will do wonders for you listening and speaking skills. I have twice attended immersion courses in Lima, Perú. They were wonderful and absolutely improved my Spanish. A word of warning/advice... The first two to three days of immersion will be difficult. You will feel exhausted from the mental effort. But, starting the third or fourth day, your brain may start to flow with the language. Hang in there... it will be worth it!

Mike in Idaho
1 x
Mike in Vancouver

e.z.b.
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby e.z.b. » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi Mike! Can I ask where you went?? I've been looking at different immersion courses, and I think that FairPlay in Cusco looks amazing, but logistically something in Lima would probably make a lot more sense.
0 x

mjfleck2000
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (C1), Irish(beginner)

Postby mjfleck2000 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:21 pm

e.z.b. wrote:Hi Mike! Can I ask where you went?? I've been looking at different immersion courses, and I think that FairPlay in Cusco looks amazing, but logistically something in Lima would probably make a lot more sense.

Don't get me started!!!! :D

I traveled twice to Lima, Perú to attend an immersion course, both times to the same school: El Sol Escuela de Español. http://elsol.idiomasperu.com/
El Sol is the brick and mortar Spanish school... WebSpanish https://www.webspanish.com/ is the online Spanish portion run by the same company.
I attended El Sol in 2013 for two weeks. I wanted to dedicate the trip to improving my Spanish so I took 4 hours of no-English-Spanish-only classes Monday through Friday while staying with a Peruvian family. The bottom line is that immersion is exhausting (especially at first) but very rewarding. I was an A2+ level before the school and reached B1 at the end.
I enjoyed the experience so much that I attended the same school (and stayed with the same Peruvian family) in 2014 . It was another fantastic experience. There was lots of work, struggles to understand and be understood, frustrations, etc... but I absolutely improved. I am now at B2 with Spanish (I continue to study with the online portion of the school).
The experience was far above my best expectations. The teachers at the school seem to be naturally dedicated to teaching Spanish. They were so supportive, helpful, encouraging, always finding time to help students, etc. THIS is THE model for how teachers to be.

The family I stayed with were extremely supportive; they took me to various places around Miraflores (Lima), they spoke Spanish slowly, repeated, tried again,offered suggestions on places to go, warned if a section of town might be a bit dodgy, etc. I felt as if I had been adopted by them. I DID adopt them ... they are now MY Peruvian family.

Perhaps you can tell that I enjoyed my trips to Perú. I would encourage you to try immersion.
A suggestion, when you go immersion... go immersion. There may be other students that will want to speak in English. I tell them (in Spanish) that I am using Spanish, not English. The more you stay in "Spanish" mode, the more your brain seems to realize it is indeed in "Spanish" mode and accepts it.

Hope this helps

Mike in Idaho
1 x
Mike in Vancouver

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Great post by Mike. It is tough to predict what a school will be like before you go so, if possible, I'd go with a recommendation from someone you know or someone here on this forum who has actually been to the school. I went to two immersion schools when I did my trips and had very different experiences. The supportive/involved host family factor makes a HUGE difference. On my trip to the Dominican Republic four years ago I had an awesome family and I still keep in touch with them. They made me wonderful dinners and we did afternoon/evening outings every day. I really got to know them and got to know what it was like to live in Santo Domingo. In Ecuador I had a nice family, but it was more like I was simply renting a room. There was not the same feeling. I was pretty much on my own with them.

One minor other point... with both schools I signed up for the much cheaper "small group" courses where they guarantee that you have no more than five or six students in your class. In both cases I was the only student at that level and I had one on one lessons four hours a day for the entire week at the group rate price. If it is a relatively small school and you are more than a beginner there is a strong likelihood they will just give you one on lessons.

I must also say that schools that have "activities" are nice if you are traveling by yourself. The school I went to in Ecuador was great with having things for students to do in the afternoons and evenings.

I completely agree with Mike about "no English." It is amazing how many people that go to these "immersion" trips are not too serious about learning the language. In Ecuador I pretty much just ignored the students that would speak English on breaks and after class. There was a break area for the instructors and I always would just go in there and talk with the instructors. That being said, be sure to have fun. In the Dominican my Spanish was still pretty weak and by the mid afternoon I was just exhausted mentally. The 20 year old boy in my family was so excited to have me there to speak English with that we did a number of things together and spoke in English. It was pretty cool because I really got to see what the life of a 20 year old Dominican was like... he just dragged me around everywhere he went every afternoon and evening.

Well... after reading Mike's post I'd say if you can find an experience like he had you should go for it. Have fun.
1 x

e.z.b.
White Belt

Postby e.z.b. » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I traveled twice to Lima, Perú to attend an immersion course, both times to the same school: El Sol Escuela de Español. http://elsol.idiomasperu.com/ El Sol is the brick and mortar Spanish school... WebSpanish https://www.webspanish.com/ is the online Spanish portion run by the same company. I attended El Sol in 2013 for two weeks.

So helpful, thank you Mike! I'm plotting a vague itinerary now, and I think that's probably where I'll head first. I've never used a forum before (I just figured out how to quote!), but I'm glad I joined this one... where else would I have found a recommendation for the exact place & program I wanted :D Is there anywhere else that you've been in Peru that I shouldn't miss? And would you definitely recommend staying with a host family? I'm someone who appreciates my own space, so I was a little wary, but I do want to get as much immersion as possible.

Also my latest exciting update: a Peruvian couple with somewhat limited English came into my work the other day, and I spoke to them in (my very limited) Spanish. They were actually able to understand everything that I said and told me that I spoke very well :shock: They were just being nice I'm sure, but it was a great confidence boost. I was also happy that I could understand all of their replies.

That motivated me to get out of my bubble, so I'm meeting with a couple of different tutors over the next week to try and find one that's a good fit. I've opted for for local tutors since it seems less intimidating to meet in person for some reason. I found several that charge $25/hr which is more than online, but not outrageous if they're good.

In addition, I've added some writing to my daily goals. I've been trying to write a paragraph or so on Lang-8 every day, making a point of using lots of different tenses so I can start to internalize them more.

I'm plugging away at my flashcards, since my vocab still feels pretty claustrophobic. I found a site with pictures of verbs which is handy (although the pictures aren't always super clear): http://www.spanishdaddy.com/Picture-Dic ... Words.aspx. One of the things I'm finding the most difficult is keeping similar looking verbs straight... llever & llegar get me every time.
1 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Definitely stay with a host family. It will provide you a ton of conversation experience. If you stay on your own or with other students you will simply not have many opportunities to have meaningful conversations.
1 x

e.z.b.
White Belt

Postby e.z.b. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm

5 Week Update

I'm surprised both by how far I've come and by how far I have to go! My comprehension has come a long way, but output is still pretty rocky. At this point I have:

• 933 vocab words in Anki, each a picture/L2 pair with a sound byte (2,546 actual cards)
  • 350 grammar cards of various types (conjugation, cloze deletion etc)
  • finished reading/listening to Harry Potter 1
  • read/listened to the first half of El león, la bruja, y el ropero
  • finished 27 units of Pimsleur
  • and 6 of FSI
  • watched the first two season of Érase una vez, without subtitles but making use of transcripts when necessary
  • casually read through ~2/3 of my grammar book

I've also gone to a few tutoring sessions and done some writing on Lang-8, but probably not enough of either to count for much. The past two weeks have been hectic so I've mostly settled for input, trying to read/listen/watch for at least a couple of hours a day even when I don't have the energy to produce much. I've been waiting for my Ultimate Spanish audio to get into the library... it was supposed to be 3 days. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting. In the interim I started FSI and I love it, so I'll probably continue with that regardless. I think that if I'd started it earlier, it probably would have been a little much, but right now it's great for automating some of the grammar that I've been reading about.

In spite of spending a ton of time on Spanish over the past 5 weeks, I probably could have made more progress had I wanted to be more disciplined about my approach. I haven't drilled through my grammar book, I've mostly just read it like I would any other book. I've been good about Pimsleur, and religious about Anki, but other than that, I've more or less let myself do whatever I feel like, so long as it's in Spanish. It's made the learning process enjoyable, & I haven't felt any burnout even though I've devoted a huge amount of time to studying.

I do think that the Anki dedication has paid off as far as comprehension goes. Making the cards is time consuming - I download an audio clip for each (either from Forvo or Spanishdict), find a picture or two on Spanish google images, and find a sentence using the word, either from a book I'm reading or using the sentence maker on 123teachme.com. But after that, the words are pretty well engrained in my memory -- I get them right at first view ~90% of the time, and after first view ~98% of the time. I do about 200 reviews a day along with 60 new cards (if I've made that many!), and it typically takes <30 minutes. So the card production bit is arduous, but after that it seems to be pretty smooth sailing. Grammar cards are easier to make, but slower and more difficult to study. I'm curious as to what the difference would be if I simply used L1/L2 translation cards, which would certainly have allowed me to learn more words faster, but given that this seems to be working, I'm sticking with it.

Thanks to my increased vocabulary and the many, many hours of listening (>37 hrs, thank you Once Upon a Time & audiolibros), I'm able to understand a lot more of what I hear. I feel like the language has slowed down for me -- at first it all sounded like an incomprehensible mishmash, but now I'm better able to hear the individual words. But my lackadaisical approach to grammar has definitely left me speaking like a caveman -- although I have spent a lot of time on pronunciation, so at least a caveman with good pronunciation!

Overall, it's been a fun & productive 5 weeks, and I'm willing to sacrifice some progress for the sake of making it an enjoyable experience.

In other exciting news, I bought my ticket to Peru, and I head out in just over a month! Talk about great motivation :D
2 x

Return to “Language logs”