Coldrainwater's Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Coldrainwater's German Log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

coldrainwater wrote:Indeed, the concentration can be a major stumbling block. Most run routes really would not work at all. Wherever I live, I always have to be really careful to pick routes where there are no stops and very little to no traffic, and that preferably have long stretching of very little. I enjoy a version of meditating when I jog and I think that helps me understand somewhat, but still it is a compromise overall compared to library listening. Even if it is only for 20 minutes, I enjoy listening before going to sleep since the concentration is almost surreal. Like you, I don't do so well lin Starbucks or Half Price Books. Way too busy for me. And the grocery store is a cart collision waiting to happen.

I would like to develop a mini-habit around walking and perhaps either playing Duolingo or maybe even using Anki. I can read and move on a treadmill but not ideally and there is always the risk that the rear of the machine will get the better of me one day. Between wearing glasses, which fog over and blur with exercise, and a phone that has an affiinity for beads of sweat, my view is often obstructed after I have been training for a bit (making Duo and Anki more challenging than ever). My smartphone mistakes those drops for finger presses as well and it will even lock my phone randomly as I run. All that has been enough to deter me so far, hence the idea of trying walking + duo. I will see how that goes, maybe soon.
Wearing earphones in the grocery store is tempting so they can drown out the loudspeaker announcements, but I've never tried it. When I walk a treadmill, I have to be sure the iPod is set on the proper reading and proper place when I start, otherwise I end up putting the treadmill on pause accidentally by floundering around to keep my balance. For years and years I listened to the first CD of the Gypsy Kings when I walked outside or in(called simply enough The Gypsy Kings), though it was a cassette tape at first. Most of their songs have a jaunty rhythem perfect for walking. Plus the bonus of listening to Spanish. Maybe I should go back to it.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:40 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:For years and years I listened to the first CD of the Gypsy Kings when I walked outside or in(called simply enough The Gypsy Kings), though it was a cassette tape at first. Most of their songs have a jaunty rhythm perfect for walking. Plus the bonus of listening to Spanish. Maybe I should go back to it.
I think Elgar is supposed to have done all his composing while walking. Perhaps you could try one his tunes too?
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:10 am

As long as I'm not (too) disturbed by external sound sources (traffic, sea, wind, people), I just walk and listen. My pace is fairly regular, and matches my "inner radio" pretty well (120 BPM 8-) ).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:47 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:For years and years I listened to the first CD of the Gypsy Kings when I walked outside or in(called simply enough The Gypsy Kings), though it was a cassette tape at first. Most of their songs have a jaunty rhythm perfect for walking. Plus the bonus of listening to Spanish. Maybe I should go back to it.
I think Elgar is supposed to have done all his composing while walking. Perhaps you could try one his tunes too?
I will certainly have a go at it. Thanks.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:41 am

El verano de hoy hará eco hasta el fin del otoño. Y por fin los días de la canícula se terminaron. Siento un cambio en el aire tras cada aliento mas ya no he visto que el mercurio se vuelva azul. Al menos Belcebú debe estar echando una siesta. La verdad es que tanto el agosto como el septiembre sí estaban en llamas, pero más por el exceso de trabajo que por el calor del sol. En la oficina, concentramos todos los esfuerzos en completar una integración de datos a gran escala para el negocio. Fue muy parecido a sacar una alfombra primero y luego rezar para que haya tierra firme debajo. Por fortuna nuestra todo salió bien y estoy aquí para escribir y aprender una vez más.

En cuanto al alemán, me alegra informarles que también me arden los oídos. Google Fit me marcó con 3800 minutos de actividad física durante agosto, cada uno con audífonos que lanzan frase tras frase en alemán. Yo diría que Glossika me impresionó más que todo. Ahora tanto GMS como GSR ocupan un lugar fijo en cualquier de mis planes lingüísticos del porvenir, siempre que estén disponibles. También vale la pena mencionar el diccionario vocal integrado de Langenscheidt. Los narradores se esforzaron por asegurar una alta calidad de aprendizaje a pesar de la ausencia total de texto visual.

¿Y qué toca ahora? Bueno, por mi parte, yo quisiera ver donde duerme este diablo. A tal efecto, estoy alimentando al monstruo de la gramática como proyecto personal. Hasta ahora, me metí en un solo texto, el Gramática de la lengua alemana - de Andreu Castell. Sin duda, lo que esconden dentro son manjares y pepitas de oro. Sin embargo, me falta la capacidad de ingerirlo todo de un tiro y solo me llevó unos trocitos, pobres viandas para guiarme en el camino que se presenta. Prefiero verlo como la génesis de una nueva adicción. Espero poder hincar los codos de ahora en adelante.

En este momento, me debato entre salir a caza de libros de inmediato o bien quedarme ante el diccionario como lo hice anteriormente. Creo que ambos caminos me llevan a la manual de referencia de todos modos, así que no es un gran debate. Estoy de ánimo para un reto y me incliné hacía el libro. Ya veremos.
3 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 pm

They let me off work for a couple of days and I have found the coffee jar. I have one hand in the coffee jar and the other on the keyboard. As you might have guessed, I have taken to drinking again and recently discovered Peaberry Coffee, grinding beans similar to the ones shown here. It might be a good idea for me to learn Portuguese and go visit Brazil. In between cups I listen to Deutsch Lernen mit Geschichten from the Learn German channel. It works well played as audio-only and offers a story I can follow even with A-level listening comprehension. I will get a good 50-60 hours out of the channel at a minimum. My 'listening chunk' requirement is normally about 50-100 hours, so it qualifies.

Secondwise, I remember that while actively studying Spanish vocabulary, I wrote simple one-liner VBA macros implemented as hotkeys with intents of diving right into the RAE. I had purchased a copy of it from Amazon and used Calibre to convert it to a wrangle-worthy text file. To avoid crashes since neither Excel nor notepad++ should be trusted with so much data, I just bulk imported it to a free SQL Server database. Then I randomized it and removed any categories that I didn't think were ever written to be read by humans. Eventually, I came to my wits, but not before doing quite a bit of damage.

As fate would have it, it appears I am going down the same path with German, but with a slight innovation in mind and a more relaxed approach. For one, I am simplifying the technical parts and configuring everything early on. For five months running, dict.cc has been my all-around most useful German-English dictionary, so it is no surprise that I want it for text work also. You can request the files via their email data request form. It is item ten, Vokabeldatenbank, from the downloads page. They offer many cross platform options as well and I may take them up later on their .NET integration offer. So far, so simple.

Incidentally, they have other bilingual options, but it is best to choose DE<>EN since it is the most complete. Out of laziness, I bit the bullet and let notepad++ handle both the text file and randomization aspect. It took a while but eventually pulled through. The formats offered by dict.cc are awesome and do not require progamming skill beyond find/replace to parse. The download is shy of 70MB and for EN-DE, you get over a million lines, so after randomizing, I just whacked off a chunk of about 10k lines into a new text file so I could have something to work with right off the bat. From experience, I know I can get through 10k in short order, even passively. Longterm, after several iterations, the plan would be to apply the Pareto Principle rather than tackle the whole dictionary. Afterall, this is but one resource amongst many and only a small part of my language learning plan. It is not quite a new experiment since it has worked before.

The innovation I had in mind is to use this for passive vocabulary acquisition. I can attribute a good bit of my Spanish listening skills to attentive but passive listening, so I figured, why not do something similar with vocabulary. It is bit more nuanced since I had to find a way to incorporate passive/attentive visualization, which is trickier than just donning headphones and hitting play. Dict.cc has tons of useful context, coloquial reference and idioms, so that portion was a no brainer. What I did with the RAE in ES and am doing now with dict.cc in DE is very simple. Instead of reading, scrolling and getting lost, like I might on a pdf or web page, I keep my eyes fixed on the top line of text in notepad++ (dictionary file I downloaded above) and let hotkeys do the work of bringing what I need to look at into my visual spectrum. As a passive/attentive resource, I need to plan for the resilience of handling distraction and life. To accomplish this, I needed only two hotkeys. One cuts the top line into the clipboard, making it possible for me to move quite quickly through scanning the data. The second optionally appends what I have in the clipboard to different text file, should I want to save it to a wordlist. If nothing else, they will make for good memoires.

The three little text files (dictionary source, 10k line working file and wordlist) go on Google Drive and are ready to be used at home, at work, no matter what else I may be working on (language related or not). Hopefully some word nerds out there might find this idea interesting or helpful. So far, it has been pretty fun ungluing some of the longer German words.

As a side note, I read books like this too come to think of it. Pretty versatile.
4 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Ponerte al volante

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Esa sensación al escribir un post, lo olvidas y luego lo recuperas. Es como hallar plata en mi bolso cuando la necesito, algo raro pero agradable cuando sucede. Bueno, aquí tienes las sobras de septiembre, recién salido de la prensa...

Pensandolo un poco sobre el proceso, al punto de toparme con unas nuevas voces o frases, las marco en el dict.cc u otro buscador querido, ahora que tengo muchos de ellos. Entonces abro herramientas complementarias como WordReference, Reverso, GoogleTranslate, PowerThesaurus y DeepL. La idea es enfrentarlas unas con otras con el fin de aprovecharme del espacio en pantalla y sacar toda la riqueza que pueda.

Además, utilizo DeepL para practicar escribir en mis idiomas más sólidos, que por el momento se limita al español, mientras traduzco a mis idiomas más débiles, los cuales son numerosos pero vale. Como de costumbre, me combino WordReference con Dict.cc ya que ambos aportan abundancia y precisión. Al adquirir una palabra alemana, compruebo que conozco varios y los principales sinónimos en español y que puedo recordarlos de manera activa. Después de un rato, añado las palabras y frases a mi propia lista trilingüe, eligiendo como ejemplares descripciones más cortas y eficaces sin tener en cuenta el idioma. Bueno y breve. Me inclino por definir una palabra alemana a través de una dicción retadora en L1/L2 de modo que no pretendo ponderar la simplicidad, lo que sería poco más que una pérdida de tiempo y falta de visión. De esta manera, establezco estructuras densas de palabras interesantes y luego las reviso con entusiasmo. Mantengo una hoja de cálculo repleta de palabras, enlaces y una sección avanzada de español.

Es más, gracias a estos foros, me encontré con algunos audiolibros bilingües que fueron un buen cambio de voz. Los descargué de babooks.org. Compré dos, La metamorfosis de Kafka y La horla de Maupassant, enfocándome en sus traducciones del íngles al alemán. Mirando atrás, casi recuerdo las historias mejor que el alemán dentro. Ambos serán buenos para volver a escuchar y medir el progreso. Me siento más hábil en la selección de audio, lo cual me parece un patrón de intercambio natural entre las cuatro esquinas de macrolingüísticos.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Sehr interesant ist BABooks. Vielen Dank!
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Estoy de acuerdo con Mork, estos libros me parecen ser un concepto muy interesante en aprender un idioma. Escuché a algunos ejemplos en inglés/español y español/francés para averiguar si podía seguir el formato. A mi ver, un minuto y pocos segundos no es suficiente tiempo para determinar si sea un método eficiente o no. No lo sé. Lo que me sorprende es que no hay un pdf incluido en el archivo con ambas lenguas escritas en un texto paralelo. Entonces, es un método totalmente auditivo a propósito. Bueno, dado tu experiencia en aprender el español, concentrándote en el audio, entiendo por qué tendrías ganas de probarlo. ¡Estoy muy ansioso por ver cómo va te gustar este nuevo método de escuchar a un libro en frases bilingües en tu rutina cotidiana de aprender alemán! Creo que ciertamente es muy promisorio.

Acabé de ver que el precio sale muuuuyyyy barato. Creo que vale la pena intentarlo. Qué pena que no hay nada de libros en Català/Castellano.
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt

Postby coldrainwater » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Ya tengo por norma estudiar con Learnwitholiver al diario. Es el SRS más agradable que he probado nunca sin lugar a dudas. Lo ofrece estructura y flexibilidad en la adquisición de vocabulario sin igual. Añado palabras a troche y moche sin reparo. Al fin, un patrón bastante sencillo surge en el que aprovecho de la funcionalidad para añadir elementos similares sin esfuerzo. Tal morfología es una cosa y el famoso alargamiento ortográfico del alemán es otra. Este último tiene por resultado que el estudio de palabras individuales se sustituye por el estudio de colocaciones en su gran mayoría. La unión de palabras es más que una mera convención. Aparte de eso, sigo fiel al tacto habitual de maximizar la cantidad de palabras que veo y minimizar la repetición. Así las cosas suenan menos como un disco rayado y más como armas de comunicación. Es fácil configurar una sesión para que dure una hora y me permite una racha de motivación.

Cambiando de tema, he vuelto a las montañas de Colorado, esta vez en Telluride.

ImageImageImageImageImage
3 x

Return to “Language logs”