Finally, the log I have wanted to start for years!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Finally, the log I have wanted to start for years!

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Literally!!!

I finished my degree a few days ago. It was horrible, a nightmare. The thought "it's finally over" hasn't arrived to my brain yet, it takes time. I've spent the last few days mostly in bed.

I'd like to thank you all, for your continuous support! I has meant a lot to me!

But I am already having further plans for this log. Truth be told, the procrastination during the last few months included languages, not just reading forums :-D. Tv series: I have yet to finish los Protegidos (awesome and Spanish), and I need to make myself watch the last episode of Lucifer (in Italian) with a cliffhanger, I watched Versailles. I started learning Japanese on Lingodeer a bit, played a bit with German in various forms, found out I'd really like to learn Hebrew one day. And I am still convinced some of my medical textbooks were secretly written in Klingon and I just hadn't been told :-D (really. the people use words, which are in no dictionary and I really think aren't officially Czech.)

My life plans are complicated and I'll know more in a few weeks. One thing is absolutely certain: there is no way I'd go to a czech hospital. I'm going either abroad or out of medicine. I do not owe them anything, it's the opposite. I am gonna fail my plan A (this is a fact, a consequence of a long and unfortunate chain of events), so it will be about finding an acceptable plan B. But nothing will be worse :-D From now on, I will always be free to leave without having so many years of my life flushed down the drain.

My language plans for the months to come:

1.READING:
on Expug's log, I was joking about reading a pile of books as tall as myself during the summer. Well, it's actually a good idea. 1.61m of books. The rules of this "challenge" are simple.
-I want to have fun. I missed reading for pleasure without any guilt so much!!!!
-161cm all languages combined. The size of the book doesn't matter, small or big doesn't matter. Thin or thick matters.
-Czech books count but up until a certain point.
-ebooks count, I'll look up the physical copy online. That's because German might be better with Readlang now.
-the languages should be represented approximately like this:
30% German, 30% Spanish, 20% Italian, 10% French, 10%Czech+English

2.GERMAN
the ultimate plan B. If everything elsewhere fails, Germany is an option. For that, I need B2. Both the real skills and a certificate.
My level right now: weak A2.
I'll make a more detailed plan later. But it will be a classic. High quality coursebooks with tons of exercises (and a few good digital tools will fit there too, I've recently got a great recommendation on speakly.me), and tons of input. Later, there will be time for exam preparation.

3.Spanish
I really regret not having taken the damn DELE, it would have opened a very viable plan B. People, if you can take a language exam and are not in a well progressing and very sure career already, take these exams as soon as you can, don't wait till you need them. Because at that point, it will be too late due to all the wait times.
But Spain is closed for now. However, it doesn't mean I shouldn't continue and improve and take the DELE eventually.
Right now, I think my huge weakness is having read too little. I think that is the missing piece of puzzle, without which I won't move forward. Sure, other stuff will be on the list too, but extensive reading needs to happen at this point.

4.Italian
Not a priority but a language that brings me joy and is worth continuing with at any pace that fits between the rest.

5.Others. Now I am free and limited only by normal things like the other people. So, having fun is part of the plan, but after my Reading challenge. :-D
44 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Finally, the log I have wanted to start for years!

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Congratulations.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Congrats! And welcome back to your life.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Cavesa wrote:Literally!!!

I finished my degree a few days ago. It was horrible, a nightmare. The thought "it's finally over" hasn't arrived to my brain yet, it takes time. I've spent the last few days mostly in bed.

Congrats! I'm writing this from bed in the a very similar position. I'll believe it once my diploma is in hand (they mail them).
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Congratulations! I’m already looking forward to your new log and new adventures.

Wasn’t there some plan a few years ago for the whole gang to learn Polish? With the Gathering in Poland next year, Polish is suddenly very popular, so maybe we should dust off that plan and give it a try.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Congratulations! ¡Enhorabuena!, Cavesa! WELL DONE!!!! :D

Your life is now up to you to decide where to go and what to do. WooooHoooo!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Congratulations, Cavesa. When one sees problems with the system, the mode of delivery, the obvious issues that aren’t obvious to others or our less experienced younger self, issues that are utterly ludicrous and so obvious, it can be difficult to push forward, to continue whilst part of a system with such huge drawbacks. Well done on completion, well done on drawing healthy conclusions on your standards for the future and good luck with your plan B! And enjoy every second of that 1.61m pile of books!
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:07 am

Thank you all!!!

pile_of_books: 34 / 1610mm

List of books:

German (48,3cm):

Spanish (48,3cm):

Italian (32,2cm):

French (16,1cm)

Czech+English (16,1cm):
Petr Heteša: Žádná chvíle není poslední
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:10 am

It's good to be back, writing a log about languages :-)

I've just learnt the word "enjamber" from instructions to an exam:
S'il est installé dans un amphithéâtre et pour ne pas perturber toute la rangée, le candidat devra enjamber le pupitre et emprunter la travée libre devant son siège
:-D
Next week is gonna be full of surprises. Too bad it won't end like I wanted. But I still need to take the exam (it is possible under some conditions to repeat it. It is not possible to just postpone it)

Other than that: 3,4cm! (yes, I should be studying for my exam, but I won't fix the last year anyways in the few days)
3,4cm in Czech, 443 pages. Žádná chvíle není poslední by Heteša. (No moment is the last one). An original scifi, full of action and humour, written really well. I loved it. After the previous disappointment with Czech scifi, I hesitated a bit. But I bought it after my exam, the same day. I loved it, perhaps except the ending (a bit too fast, and a bit too open).

No more fun books for a few days. But that is just a temporary setback.
6 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:14 am

Keep it up Cavesa! You can do it
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Language logs”