Polish (with a sprinkling of French)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Polish (with a sprinkling of French)

Postby cjareck » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Polish Paralysis wrote:upalić (się) - to get stoned with joints

This is rather slang since I didn't hear about it earlier.

There is also
napalić (w piecu) - to ignite a fireplace, oven
napalić się - to get lust for something or someone

Polish Paralysis wrote:wypalić - "burn all of it" (i.e. to smoke all the cigarettes)

if you make it reflexive
wypalić się - go get burned out, to lose all energy
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Polish Paralysis
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish B1
Mandarin Chinese B1
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10586

Postby Polish Paralysis » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am

Week in review:

I set out with the goal of increasing my output substantially. I will tell you from the start that I hated every moment of it. It's just so difficult to talk about things when you don't have an adequate active vocabulary to do so. Instead of producing the desired result of making me feel more comfortable talking to people, it did quite the opposite. Many of the people I spoke to were very complimentary (read: overly complimentary) on account of the fact that I could utter a few grammatically correct sentences, but that's not my aim. My aim is relative fluency of speech, a target I am still a long way from.

This led me to reevaluate my learning methods, esp. in regard to how I acquire vocabulary as this is beginning to be a huge limiting factor in my progress. I came to the conclusion that I spend too much time just barely managing to understand the meaning of things, never quite getting a handle on the words themselves.

I set out to rectify this by using Lingq and I have to say I never have quite enjoyed learning languages the way I have the last few days. I tried to get LWT going but couldn't figure out how to change the settings so that I could import long texts. Anyway, in light of this discovery, I have set a new medium-term goal. I would like to be able to read with relative ease (I'm specifically referring to anything written in modern language) within the next year. I have been reading the book that I have been meaning to read for a long time (Czerwony Alert) and I am actually enjoying it. I had used L-R previously and, although I acknowledge its effectiveness, this has simply been a much more enjoyable experience. I am also listening to the audiobook along side it, and I feel like this really is a winning combination.
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am

Polish Paralysis wrote: I tried to get LWT going but couldn't figure out how to change the settings so that I could import long texts

It shouldn't be any problem. You simply increase the number of sentences from 50 to the number desired. There is, however, a fixed limit of the size of a text. Nevertheless, it simply cuts texts into parts. Having LWT for free and the full control of the database (I am PHP and SQL beginner) is for me a great advantage.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Polish Paralysis
White Belt
Polish B1
Mandarin Chinese B1

Postby Polish Paralysis » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm

cjareck wrote:It shouldn't be any problem. You simply increase the number of sentences from 50 to the number desired. There is, however, a fixed limit of the size of a text. Nevertheless, it simply cuts texts into parts. Having LWT for free and the full control of the database (I am PHP and SQL beginner) is for me a great advantage.

Thanks. I eventually figured out that my text didn't have the right encoding i.e. UTF-8 I think. It's working perfectly now.
1 x

overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Postby overscore » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 am

lusan wrote:
Polish Paralysis wrote: In some ways it pains me to think I can listen to Podcasts in French at almost the same level as Polish even after months and months of listening to Polish; although I can definitely understand normal paced Polish way better than I can understand normal paced French. It's great that in general Poles enunciate well and that there are not that many accents as far as I'm aware.

I had the same feelings. First I was very angry with myself until I realized that been a Spanish native helps a lot. I told myself that my B1 journey would be pretty long. So I decided to climb the French B2 ladder. French is a beautiful language.

Oui, définitivement ... j'éprouve une situation similaire avec mon étude du Serbe. Je n'ai jamais étudié le Roumain dans le passé, mais l'autre jour j'ai essayé de lire les nouvelles et je pouvais comprendre une bonne portion de mots.
Avec le Serbe, ça ressemble à quand un chat passe sur mon clavier.
Au final il suffit de continuer et éventuellement ça va devenir plus simple de comprendre les Slaves.

I discovered Inner French, a fantastic podcast made by an individual who actually lives in Warsaw and is learning Polish. I must have listened to at least 15 podcasts of his. I plan on getting as much as I can out of this resource as possible as I genuinely find what he talks about to be interesting. Hopefully over the next few months I will have listened to each podcast 3 or 4 times.

Listening to it as native, I think the podcast is good for learning French; there's no unnatural language, but also little slang that might hinder comprehension.
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:27 pm

overscore wrote:
lusan wrote:
Listening to it as native, I think the podcast is good for learning French; there's no unnatural language, but also little slang that might hinder comprehension.

Agree. Yesterday I decided to be tough on listening. I am jumping into the serial train. I will work with a dub serial as in intermediary steps to pure french movies. It happens that I concluded that since French and Spanish are so similar, 75 % according to Wiki, I suspect that I need to learn about 5000 words to be able to manage listening and reading. The problem is training the brain to decode non-spanish sound/pronunciations. I mean that all these cognates help plenty for those skills. So my plan is to experiment with a dubbed serial science fiction serial with any subtitles. Just listening with full attention, without worry about the misunderstood words.

I would love to do the same with Polish but Polish films have a silly and boring male voice over their movies which I dislike very much. It might go back to watch easy serial like Casz Honoru or something like that. However that I will do later; first, I will deal with French. I target B2 listening but next year summer.
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Polish Paralysis
White Belt
Polish B1
Mandarin Chinese B1

Postby Polish Paralysis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm

lusan wrote:Agree. Yesterday I decided to be tough on listening. I am jumping into the serial train. I will work with a dub serial as in intermediary steps to pure french movies. It happens that I concluded that since French and Spanish are so similar, 75 % according to Wiki, I suspect that I need to learn about 5000 words to be able to manage listening and reading. The problem is training the brain to decode non-spanish sound/pronunciations. I mean that all these cognates help plenty for those skills. So my plan is to experiment with a dubbed serial science fiction serial with any subtitles. Just listening with full attention, without worry about the misunderstood words.

Have a little listen to Inner French if you have a chance. I found the subject matter pretty interesting and I think it would serve as a good primer to watching to series. I don't know exactly what level you are at but I think you could start listening to it simply knowing maybe 200 purely French words and having knowledge of another Romance language.

lusan wrote:I would love to do the same with Polish but Polish films have a silly and boring male voice over their movies which I dislike very much. It might go back to watch easy serial like Casz Honoru or something like that. However that I will do later; first, I will deal with French. I target B2 listening but next year summer.

I wish there were dubbed series in Polish. Watching series is such a stress free way of learning languages. I sometimes turn the Polish subtitles on on Netflix but its so definitely isn't nearly as efficient as watching series in L2 with subtitles.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”