Four Little Birds, TAC 2015 (Ha*, Ru, Ge, Fr)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Four Little Birds, TAC 2015 (Ha, Ru, Fr, Ge)

Postby neofight78 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:50 am

Teango wrote:It was quite encouraging to find less and less corrections each day, and even more so to discover these new corrected constructions slipping into conversation.

Ah yes, I absolutely love it when this happens. It such a pleasant surprise when I'm talking and all of a sudden I involuntarily and naturally use a new word or construction that I've never really studied but picked up organically sometimes even after only having heard it once. If only my brain would be so kind as to learn all of the language that way.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Four Little Birds, TAC 2015 (Ha*, Ru, Ge, Fr)

Postby Teango » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 am

@neofight78
Have you started using any of those funny Russian idioms from Dubrovin's illustrated book in real conversation? I'm quite tempted to buy the book or something similar, if only to spring out a new (and probably completely misplaced) idiom on my wife every now and again without any warning. I'm sure the priceless expressions of shock and confusion, followed by relief and laughter (at me of course; not with me) will more than make up for my many linguistic and pragmatic incompetences in the language... ;)
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Four Little Birds, TAC 2015 (Ha*, Ru, Ge, Fr)

Postby neofight78 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:26 am

Yes, I've used a few things from the book. Although of course the knowledges comes in handy more often for comprehension than for output. In either case it's a pleasant surprise for my Russian interlocutor. So I'm seeing some payback from using the book, even though I've learned only about 50 of the idioms so far. Although it has to be said sometimes I get the same effect when I say something in a particularly "Russian" way. For example recently someone was especially pleased with the sentence "Ну, жизнь такая". But yes, on the whole I think the book is both quite fun and quite useful.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”