Cèid Donn's French and Gaelic SC thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Cèid Donn's French and Gaelic SC thread

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm starting a new thread to update my SC challenge progress, and perhaps other challenge progress if need be, because my other log has gotten too cumbersome for that and I don't have any interest in maintaining that log any further.

My last SC update was in April, and I wish I had more to show for the past two months for this challenge. Even though I've been maintaining a solid albeit lean study schedule that includes studying for at least 1 hour in the morning and then 2-3 hours in the evening, I haven't had much time or energy to focus on this challenge in particular since April, although in the past two weeks I've been trying to get back into gear. All progress added here is what I can recall I've done over the past 2 months, although I am sure I'm forgetting a couple of things. C'est la vie.

French Films SC : 70 / 100 -- 6319 minutes (+1832 minutes)

• Lucifer, seasons 1 and 2 (with French audio) - 1120 minutes
  • The Rain seasons 1 and 2 (with French audio) - 572 minutes
  • La vie en rose - 140 minutes

Most of the stuff I've been watching or listening to lately doesn't qualify for this challenge, but that's OK.

French Books SC : 66 / 100 -- 3312 pages (+1154 pages)

• J'ai terminé ! Les trois Mousquetaires -- 152 pages remaining
  • J'ai commencé ! Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, tome 1 - 215 pages so far
  • De synthèse (relire) - 224 pages
  • L'Ombre du vent - 524 pages

Gaelic Films SC : 32 / 100 -- 2885 minutes (+589 minutes)

• Completed 1st and 2nd viewing of Guthan nan Eilean Series 2: Enterprise - 214 minutes total
  • Gymnippers Diciadain (audiobook) - 375 minutes

Gaelic Books SC : 33 / 100 -- 1658 pages (+623 pages)

• completed 35 letters from Leabhar nan Litrichean since last update - 35 pages
  • Tuath air a' Bhealach (ath-leughadh) - 88 pages
  • Gymnippers Diciadain - 350 pages
  • Diomhanas - 150 pages
3 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Re: Cèid Donn's French and Gaelic SC thread

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Well, I'm out of work until the fall, so my budget has gone from really tight to stressfully tight. And as the way it goes when you're poor, this is exactly the time of year I get hit with random expenses. It just sucks. For my language learning, that means I will not be able to spend anything on materials, including books or films for my SC. This isn't much of a problem for French, as there's so much free stuff online and I still have access to (legally) free Netflix, but for Gaelic, this means I will have to rely on my current library, most of which I've already read/listened to more than once. :roll:

With my Gaelic Film SC, I'm on my 3rd viewing on the last Guthan nan Eilean series and there just isn't much else out that that's free and accessible to me. I can watch the GnE series again, but ideally I should wait a bit longer before doing that. With video, my brain tends to get lazy and starts to tune out if something is overly familiar. Oddly I do not have this same problem with audio books, so I likely will just be re-listening to my current stash of Gaelic audiobooks for the summer. Yeepee, I get to listen to Fo Bhruid for the 25th or so time. :|

The other challenge I'm currently doing is PM's 365 Day challenge, which honestly, has been a breeze. Perhaps too easy, since I signed up for Generic for French, Indonesian and Celtic languages. With my combined study times for those languages, I'm overshooting the challenge's goal 4x to 6x. I'm contemplating breaking it down to French, Indonesian and Generic-Celtic languages, or adding Spanish as a separate language, since I dread making Indonesian a single-language goal, because some days studying Indonesian wears out my brain too much, especially after switching over to it from another language and then the words all start looking and sounding the same and I can't grasp anything.

But since I am not working for the next 2 1/2 months, I might as well use that time to work on my languages as much as I can and as much as my health and energy levels will allow, which means I am considering adding a 3rd challenge. I don't know what kind, but an output challenge, particularly for French and Spanish, probably would be best. I'll think it over a bit and hopefully come to a decision by the end of this week.

Outside of my challenges...

I've gotten some Spanish speaking practice in over the past couple of month--not as much as I need, but some is better than none. I also had the very rare opportunity to speak with a French speaker, who complimented me on my vocabulary knowledge and pronunciation, although I think she was probably being overly generous on the latter. :oops:

Wanderlust has been a problem lately. Mandarin, of all things, as well as Hawaiian, Vietnamese, Catalan, Occitan, Russian, Navajo... I miss Japanese terribly, and I occasionally dabble with the Clozemaster course, which I find very difficult as my reading is barely A1 and I don't know enough kanji. I can find time for Swedish in small spurts, but I fear I may not get to start Darija this year after all. It's June and there is still so much I want to get done in the coming months with the languages I'm already working on.

I'm still not happy with the state of Memrise/Decks. A while back, I cancelled my Pro membership (I couldn't afford to renew it anyhow) and sent them a short, concise letter explaining my dissatisfaction with how they have handled this whole thing. which has resulted in my feeling doubtful about relying on Memrise/Decks as a learning resource. I still use Memrise daily, but at the moment only for French and Indonesian. I am hesitant to start or return to any other courses until things with Memrise Inc appear more stable. I'm currently not paying for any language learning services, although I do hope to find a way to get Clozemaster Pro, a sub to Say Anything In Welsh and a sub to U of Hawaii's online intermediate Indonesian course. Those all may have to wait until I'm getting a paycheck again.

I still am listening to a lot of French. I have gotten a bit burnt out on video games, but I still watch French language streams on Twitch (most recently, French language coverage of dorky English-language presentations at E32019 has been quite entertaining), and I still listen to Radio-Canada nearly every day. At times, listening to French seems almost as easy as listening to English, but then, to remind me that French fluency is still a goal on the distant horizon, someone goes and says something which I struggle to follow and I'm completely thrown out of my French groove.

And lastly, I've started watching Outlander with my mom, now that the show's available on Netflix. The actual Gaelic in the show is sparse, and at times, there's someone speaking English over it, usually to translate the Gaelic for the terribly English protagonist. I usually can make out the Gaelic, if it's not spoken over, although the actors do seem to be playing up the Highland accents, so it's extra-juicy, extra-guttural Gaelic, just as my Gael ancestors would have like it, I'm sure. :lol:

Edited for typos
4 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 pm

J'ai pris une décision !

Busybody summer output challenge

Write daily in 2 of my more advanced TLs, then record myself reading what I've written aloud.

Tier 1 languages: Gaelic, Irish and French.

Tier 2 languages: Breton, Welsh, Spanish and German. (I would add Indonesian but I am still uncertain about grammar aspects regarding more complex sentence building in Indonesian, so I'll leave Indonesian out because I do not want to spend all my writing time looking up grammar and example sentences.)

I will divide my writing time between the morning and evening. I will work on a Tier 1 language in the morning, as I anticipate being able to write more in these languages, and that will require more time and energy. For Tier 2 languages, I will reserve time during my evening study block to write 3-6 sentences.

My intended starting date is this Sunday because I need a little time to get my study space in order again. Also, Saturday is my birthday, and while I don't have any plans beyond sleeping in and eating way too much cake, my family will likely try to pester me for most of the day, so I'll just shoot for Sunday.

I think this will be doable for the most part. I'm not going to beat myself up if I miss a day or two, as long I don't let myself slide too much. I also hope this will keep me busy enough to fight off the annoying amount of wanderlust I've been experiencing lately.
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Edit: I lost the original post while trying to edit something in it. Oops.
Last edited by Cèid Donn on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 am

I finished up my thing tonight early so I came home and turned on Netflix to watch more of Lucifer. But I couldn't bring up the French audio or subtitles on it. They're not available, only English is. But get this: on the preview of the show in the browsing section for Netflix Original shows, it plays the preview with the French audio and subtitles, probably because that's what I had it set to the last time I watched it. So the French audio and subtitles are still on the Netflix servers--I just can't access them when I play the show. I hope this is just a technical error that will be resolved eventually and not an issue with the show rights or regional restrictions.

After getting mad at netflix, I decided to do some Memrise and that ended up annoying me too. My Pro sub has officially expired so now I have to deal with ads and messages on my courses about locked content. And Memrise keeps losing my streaks, especially for my Indonesian course. It's happened multiple times, and it happened again today. I did my Indonesian course right after my French course last night and I made sure I met my daily goal, but today my streak for that course is zero again. Streaks aren't essential, but they motivated me to do X amount of work on that course every night, so it is frustrating. It's funny how this particular problem started right after I cancelled my sub renewal.

This almost makes me yearn for the days when all we had for self-learning a language was books and tapes/CDs. Glad I finished my writing stuff earlier today because I'm super annoyed and in a foul mood now and I think what's left of my evening study time is pretty much a bust. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day...
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Busybody Summer Output Challenge

A month or so ago I hurt my knee, and I'm at that age when hurting your knee is a bigger deal than say, when you're in your 20s. It has been very slow to heal, with frequent flare-ups and way too much discomfort, so I'm on prednisone for the first time in my life. And I gotta say, I'm really not liking the side-effects :evil: My knee feels a lot better but the side-effects are interfering with my ability to do anything else, and it just sucks. This is particularly a problem with my vision, which already isn't great to begin with. For that reason I'm giving myself a short break from my output challenge and will resume it, hopefully, tomorrow which is when I start to decrease my prednisone dosage.

These are my updates for the remainder of last week:

Thursday:

Gaelic - "Chan eil taighean-bìdh gu leòr ann an mo bhaile-mòr a tha sin a' tighinn orm gu mòr." 11 sentences
    Welsh - "Mae'r Gymraeg yn anodd i mi." - 4 sentences

Friday:

Irish - "Nuair a bhí mé óg léigh mé go leor scéalta faoi Chapaillíní Chonamara." 12 sentences
    Breton - "Gwelet em eus ur film dec'h." 5 sentences

Saturday:

French - did not complete because I was too tired
    Spanish - "El pasado mes me lesioné la rodilla." 6 sentences

In other news, the 2nd season of Dark is on Netflix now. I haven't had the energy to watch it yet. I watched the 1st season in French and then in German. Besides I've been watching Zone Blanche (Black Spot) which is another "edgy" Belgian/French crime series. So far it's OK. I'm mainly watching it because its original language is French and not because the story interests me.

I'm taking a break from Memrise right now, due to a combination of my frustration with it and the side-effects of the prednisone. I'm still doing Clozemaster though--just hit my 200-day streak today.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:05 pm

It seems a lot of people on this forum have contracted the Polish Flu. I assume most of it is because of some gathering or whatever. Good luck with that, folks.

This hasn't been the most productive week, but oh well. I'm tapering off the prednisone but the side-effects are still a problem, especially with the blurry vision that seems much worse with monitors/screens, and not sleeping well. This hasn't been helped by the fact we've had a week of 99F or higher temperatures here and it just drains whatever energy I have. :roll:

Win10, in their rotation of lock screen images, has been showing me a picture of Chefchaouen, Morocco, and it feels like my PC is mocking me for postponing my start with Darija another year. But truth is, I just don't think I will be able to do that in the near future, unless I suddenly drop 2 or 3 of my current TLs (and that might happen, as I think I'm getting burnt out on Indonesian and I am sure I'll be burnt out on Spanish too before long).

French Films SC : -- 7720 minutes (+623 minutes)

Zone Blanche, seasons 1 - 433 minutes
Noms fictifs (livre audio) - 191 minutes

French Books SC : -- 3718 pages (+224 pages)

Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, tome 1 - 224 pages more (not finished)

Gaelic Films SC : -- 3140 minutes (no change)

Nothing that would count for this challenge

Gaelic Books SC : -- 1851 pages (+193 pages)

Saoghal Eile (ath-leughadh) - 80 pages
Ann an Glac Ghilleasbaig (ath-leughadh) - 113 pages
Last edited by Cèid Donn on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:42 pm

The year is half over. Wow. Like RadioClaire, I've been thinking about my progress and the goals and resolutions I set at the start of the year.

For starters, my New Year's resolutions were to write more in my TLs and walk more while listening/shadowing my TL. I haven't been consistent on either but I have made notable effort. Earlier in the year I was writing semi-regularly in my French and Gaelic journals, up until April-ish, when I started putting more focus on Irish. Now that I've gone back to a more even rotation among my TLs, I'm writing almost daily in at least one TL (although last week was a bust due to effin' prednisone, which I'm off completely now, huzzah!).

As for walking, I haven't been anywhere consistent with it. Earlier in the year, I walked enough to get through almost half the FSI Sub-Saharan French course, as well as spent some time walking and shadowing Gaelic and Irish. But for the past two months, I've been healing from a bad ligament and meniscus injury in my knee that is still healing, but much improved after the aforementioned course of prednisone. It still isn't healed enough to go walking on asphalt or cement, so I have to settle for short walks on the grass around the neighborhood park with my dog, provided it's not 50 bagillion degrees outside (today it was 106F--hot enough to make you hate everything and just want to die, so yeah, no walk today). But unfortunately these park walks are too short to really focus on listening or shadowing, so yeah. En lieu, I'm trying to sort out a routine of doing free weights interwoven with some TL practice but I haven't figure out anything that works for me yet.

I've done Clozemaster every day for this year so far. While the streaks for individual courses are all over the place due to how I've prioritized my TL over recent months, I have been regularly working on Irish, Gaelic, Breton, Welsh, Indonesian, French, German and Spanish there, and occasionally dabbling in Swedish. I got close to that with Memrise, working mostly on French and Indonesian, but stopped a couple of weeks back due to feeling really burnt out with the format and with Memrise Inc's nonsense. Earlier in the year I completed the free trial of the Gaeilge gan Strò, which was mostly review for me, as well as my Intermediate Irish grammar workbook. I've also done some work in my French and Spanish workbooks, participated in the Short Story challenge for the first few months of the year, all the stuff for my SCs plus some other reading for TLs outside of my SC, and lots of more casual time with French in particular with playing video games, watching to Twitch streams and listening to Radio-Canada.

So I've done quite a bit. The next question is, has it been productive? I have to say yes, although progress varies from TL to TL, which I think is to be expected when you study more than one TL at a time. I feel I've made biggest strides with Irish and French, and that's completely due to having spent more time with those 2 TLs than the others so far. That's just how it goes, because time is a finite resource. :geek:
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:53 am

For us estadounidenses, today is a big holiday that few of us can avoid. I'm not a fan of holidays, they never pair well with my autism or health issues, and today's holiday is on the top of my Most Loathed and Dreaded Holidays of the Year because it's that day when your city decides to light up the sky with really loud explosives for a whole hour at the end of an already mentally and physically exhausting afternoon and evening with your less-than-understanding family. There is no escape. So yeah, I'm just going to plan on not getting any studying done after 10 AM. Which is why I'm up at 1 AM in the morning. :P

I am debating whether to try to do a half SC with Spanish, since I don't want to wait until April 2020--basically I want an excuse to read and watch more Spanish media without feeling I should be spending that time on my French or Gaelic SCs. And I've signed up for the next Language Jam later this month. Given this jam's theme, I doubt I'll get a language I'm not already interested in.

Busybody Summer Output Challenge

Now into my second proper week of this challenge, I have settled on focusing more on writing on a wider range of topics as opposed to trying to focus more on grammar. I'll focus on grammar another time.

Monday:

Gaelic - "Dh'ionnsaich mi tòrr rudan nuair a bha mi ann an Alba Nuadh." 18 sentences
    Welsh - "Dw i'n casáu gyrru yn Texas." - 7 sentences

Tuesday:

Irish - "Níor chodail mé go maith aréir." 10 sentences
    Breton - "Lezet em eus ma lunedoù er gêr." 6 sentences

Wednesday:

French - "Je veux parler d'une décision que je regrette." 12 sentences
    Spanish - "Espero con interés la final de la Copa Mundial Femenina este domingo." 5 sentences

Edit: I've added my half SC for Spanish to the SC Challenge thread. :twisted:
2 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 pm

This was supposed to be the year I didn’t completely lose my shit before our neighborhood July Fourth Parade... But two kids, two bikes, trips to the potty, sunscreen... Wish me luck for next year! (My Autistic struggle with holidays is so much worse as a parent. Or maybe I’m just older. Ugh. It’s rough.) Hope your holiday is more or less okay!
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”