My Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bebetter
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40419&PN=3

My Spanish Log

Postby Bebetter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:14 pm

So it has been a while since I have updated my log back on the old site. Old Log

I have been waiting to update/make any kind of a log because of the issues with the old and new site.
Now that things seems to be settling down I think its time to get back to it.
I have still been going steady with Spanish everyday for at least an hour. Maybe on my vacation I slacked a tad bit.

One thing that has changed from then to now is that I feel like I want to start moving towards native material. However, I still really enjoy doing the pimsleur on my long car rides though. I am trying to decide if I want to keep going with Assimil. I have been checking out News In Slow Spanish.

I also still have been watching plenty of Spanish T.V., mostly Star Wars in Spanish. I am already in the second season. These are nice because they short 20 mins eps with easy to read Spanish subtitles. Plus I love hearing droids speak Spanish.

I have had some good opportunities to use my Spanish skills while working in Miami. I am getting less and less nervous each time I have a Spanish "encounter".

Still going strong with my ItalkI lessons. I have been having an hour lesson once a week, normally on the weekends. I get plenty of speaking practice and a nice little chunk of homework to finish.

Once I am allowed to I will set up my profile and these cool progress bars I keep seeing around.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: My Spanish Log

Postby iguanamon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Welcome to NtRHTLAL, BeBetter. Good to see you are continuing along with your studies. If I may proffer some advice, don't give up on your courses just yet. When you are following a multi-track approach and using native materials for learning this is when your courses become more useful in that they are helping you with what you are reading, speaking and hearing in the real world. This doesn't mean that you actually have to finish a course but they do become more valuable, even if you can't see it right now. If you do decide to chuck the courses, do get a good grammar book/books/website to help.
1 x

Bebetter
White Belt

Postby Bebetter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm

iguanamon wrote: If I may proffer some advice, don't give up on your courses just yet. When you are following a multi-track approach and using native materials for learning this is when your courses become more useful in that they are helping you with what you are reading, speaking and hearing in the real world. .

I always respect your advice Igua. I wont put don't the courses yet, I do agree with you, they still are very helpful. I think I was just getting a little burnt out on them. I am going to jump back back into Assimil, maybe go back 10 lessons for a good review. However, I still have been listening to my tapes on my car rides, I even started listening to some Notes in Spanish. Reading as always, I found a pretty cool website which has some stories in different levels. I can read the beginner readings with almost no problems, they are right at the level I am at. Here is the link if anyone would find it useful. http://www.learnpracticalspanishonline. ... dings.html

ItalkI lessons are still going well, I really want to start trying to find some language partners to Skype with on italki or any other exchange website but I am really nervous. I am finally at a comfortable point with my tutor, I feel I wouldn't have the confidence to talk with a stranger.

Always still watching my Spanish Star Wars, Que la fuerza te acompañe!
0 x

fiolmattias
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Arabic MSA (B2, studies right now), Levantine Arabic (A2) Serbian Arli (A1)

Postby fiolmattias » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:55 am

Bebetter wrote: I still really enjoy doing the pimsleur on my long car rides though.

How far have you come in Pimlseur? I am perhaps at B2 in Arabic, but I still enjoy the occasional pimsleur :)
0 x

Bebetter
White Belt

Postby Bebetter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Pimlseur hasn't been my only learning tool but I think it has helped get me to the A2 level. I find it the most useful for pronunciation, if it wasn't for pimlseuer I wouldn't get as much practice speaking.
0 x

Bebetter
White Belt

Postby Bebetter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Hummm, Its been a little while since I have updated, slacking. Everything is still continuing as normal. Still always watching, reading, and listening. I have changed up one thing. I was Using a Spanish grammar book written in Spanish for extra practice but because I am still a beginner, its been difficult for me to totally understand some of the concepts. So until I reach a higher level I am going to start using the Practice Makes Perfect Pronouns and Preposition book and also the verb tenses workbook. I am going to use these along with my other learning tools. I don't intend to give up on the Spanish grammar book, just put it on hold for now.

I still have been using ItalkI for my weekly tutor lesson, which have been going great. Each week I get more and more confident with my teacher. I have had a total of 11 lessons now. I just wish I could work up the courage to find a talking partner on a language exchange website. I still get weekly practice with a friend that is a native, so thats good.

Pimlseur is getting boring sometimes, mainly when they focus on business. After I finish the 3 CD I am not sure what to move onto next. Its really nice to get to practice my speaking everyday on my car rides. I am open to any suggestions!!

I ended up buying a month of News In Slow Spanish. I really like it. Its nice a settle, no crazy vocab and they give popup translations. Also they have great grammar drills and test for practice.

Not much to say about Assimil, still pumping on. Currently on lesson 41. I am happy with all of the reading that I am getting to do.

I am burning though my Star Wars episodes on Netflix. I am almost done with the 2nd season. Currently on Ep 18. I will probably end up watching a few more tonight because we are having ton of rain from this Tropical Storm.

Thats all for now
0 x

Return to “Language logs”