Reading French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ser
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (feels like another mother tongue but it's not), French (intermediate), Latin/Ancient Greek/Mandarin (still sucking at them)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13579

Re: Reading French

Postby Ser » Fri May 31, 2019 7:14 am

Jean-Luc wrote:
Ser wrote:There's not much of a difference between ¿Qué es [adj.]? and ¿Qué es lo que es [adj.]?, the latter is simply a lot less common. The situation is different in French, as French doesn't really have an equivalent of ¿Qué es [adj.]?, it only uses its equivalent of ¿Qué es lo que es [adj.]? (Qu'est-ce qui est [adj.] ?).

We have in France "qui est-ce qui?" ou "qui vient dîner ce soir?" but only used with "qui" (who).

I'm talking about questions like: Qu'est-ce qui est cher ? 'What is expensive?', Qu'est-ce qui est arrivé ce soir ? (= Il est arrivé quoi ce soir ?) 'What happened this evening?', Qu'est-ce qui t'a plu dans ce film ? 'What "pleased you" about this movie? (What did you like?)'.
0 x

Jean-Luc
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italien & Spanish (B), Russian (A) Chinese & others (beginner)

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri May 31, 2019 7:36 am

Ser wrote:
Jean-Luc wrote:
Ser wrote:There's not much of a difference between ¿Qué es [adj.]? and ¿Qué es lo que es [adj.]?, the latter is simply a lot less common. The situation is different in French, as French doesn't really have an equivalent of ¿Qué es [adj.]?, it only uses its equivalent of ¿Qué es lo que es [adj.]? (Qu'est-ce qui est [adj.] ?).

We have in France "qui est-ce qui?" ou "qui vient dîner ce soir?" but only used with "qui" (who).

I'm talking about questions like: Qu'est-ce qui est cher ? 'What is expensive?', Qu'est-ce qui est arrivé ce soir ? (= Il est arrivé quoi ce soir ?) 'What happened this evening?', Qu'est-ce qui t'a plu dans ce film ? 'What "pleased you" about this movie? (What did you like?)'.

Comme "c'est quoi le film" ou "c'était bien?"
0 x

ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: None

Postby ロータス » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 am

1 June 19
Chapitre 9 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices + le résumé

Notes
  • Finished all the exercices and the résumé. Think I'm going to read Ch9 again before going to Ch10
  • " Le premier octobre, Yvonne ira à l'école comme les grands enfants. " Instead of 'comme', can you put 'avec' and it still be natural? I put 'avec' in my notebook but on indeclinable's log, they put 'comme'... Another sentence: "Hier, mercredi, les enfants étaient à table à huit heures moins le quart, mais en juin, quand ils allaient encore à l'école,... " Can 'allaient' be changed to 'étaient'?
  • Knowing when to use 'to have' or 'to be' isn't the same as in English though 'to go' seems the same. It is weird to use 'to have' for ages. Urgh need to find a website that explains the difference. A little annoying that they taught three irregular verbs at the same time x.x Don't feel like I really learned them but we will see.
3 x

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages:

Postby Morgana » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:06 am

Last edited by Morgana on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

badger
Orange Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Arabic, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:20 am

ロータス wrote:Another sentence: "Hier, mercredi, les enfants étaient à table à huit heures moins le quart, mais en juin, quand ils allaient encore à l'école,... " Can 'allaient' be changed to 'étaient'?
étaient = were
allaient = were going
1 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Thoughts

How do people study just one language? Started playing a Chinese gacha game and being apply to recognize some words every line of dialogue feels so nice x3 Even just seeing Korean hangul makes me want to keep reading more... I definitely know now that ZH and KR are long-term languages.

Is it weird that I can't find a language that I enjoy reading AND listening to? Haven't listen to much French and it sounds nice but have seen the comments that it is difficult to get good listening skills for this language. KR, I don't like and ZH is okay sometimes. Of course the one language I'm fine with listening to is the one language I'm not studying anymore, JP x.x
1 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 pm

3 June 19
Started Chapitre 10 of Le Français par la « méthode nature »

Notes
  • Sad day. I broke half the screen of my 2013 tablet which I used to study FR on during the day so after work went and got another one (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2019)). Should have Le Français back up on this new tablet and do some reading before bed.
2 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:41 am

4 June 19
Chapitre 10 of Le Français par la « méthode nature »

Notes
  • For the first time in a while, I read a chapter without a dictionary and wow, is this what extensive reading feel likes? Working out unknown words just from seeing it used a few times in sentences and making guesses on words by how it is used in the sentence!? For some reason, this felt much more enjoyable than when I had the dictionary open as a popup, looking up every unknown word to make sure I understood the word right x.x That feel you get when you go back to a word that you guessed on and after looking it up, see that you were right; amazing.
  • For Ch11, I will be just using different color pens to highlight words then when I finish, go back and look up the words highlighted yellow.
  • I say again, every language should have a textbook based of the natural method
  • No tough grammar this time, learned about 'du' and some words in past participle.
  • This textbook used 'a dit: << >>' as 'said/told " " ' but when I look at other French books, I see '- ' used to equal ' " " ', another times have changed?
3 x

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian
Latin

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 pm

ロータス wrote:[list][*]For the first time in a while, I read a chapter without a dictionary and wow, is this what extensive reading feel likes? Working out unknown words just from seeing it used a few times in sentences and making guesses on words by how it is used in the sentence!? For some reason, this felt much more enjoyable than when I had the dictionary open as a popup, looking up every unknown word to make sure I understood the word right x.x That feel you get when you go back to a word that you guessed on and after looking it up, see that you were right; amazing.

Congratulations!

When I first started reading articles on the Efficacemente site, it felt like I was looking up every word and simple articles took me about 1 hour to get through - it was hard word and I can't say I enjoyed it much. Then I needed to look up fewer and fewer words, I started seeing things I'd previously looked up repeat in context so they were easy to remember, and then at some point I realized that I could breeze through an article in 10 minutes without looking up anything.

It helps to read a lot by the same author and on the same topic, because then the expressions and vocabulary tend to repeat a lot more than normal, which is really useful. I still really like guessing at a word in context and then confirming with the dictionary that I was right; it's very rewarding!
2 x
Italian: Read 5,000 pages : 2045 / 5000
Italian: Write 50,000 words : 9100 / 50000
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 am

6 June 19
Chapitre 10 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices + le résumé
Chapitre 11 of Le Français par la « méthode nature »

Notes
  • Finished Ch11. New words that I looked up after reading the chapter: lui, puis, trop and encore un.
  • Those irregular verbs are still a struggle for me so I think I'm going to go back through all the résumé and make like a grammar page in my notebook to see if that helps.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”