Reading French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: None

Re: Reading French

Postby ロータス » Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 am

21 May 19
Chapitre 7 Résumé of Le Français par la « méthode nature »

Notes:
  • The Résumé this chapter really wanted us to practice mon/ma/mes, ton/ta/tes, son/se/ses, notre/nos, votre/vos and leur/leurs. Think I have it done now.
  • Next chapter is about time >_< Hate numbers but at least in French, the words are similar to English so I can guess which number it is
  • Still doing Assimil but getting distracted with trip and really enjoying Le Français. Every language needs a natural method textbook like this. So painless to learn through this one book.
  • Really last minute but planning to go to Manhattan this weekend so if anyone has any French stuff I can check out while there, that would be great. I know about the FIAF French Institute Alliance Française there but I don't know if I can just walk in and look around or not. Also if anyone knows which bookstores sell French literature if any.
3 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 pm

22 May 19
Chapitre 8 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices

Notes:
  • Yep, boring chapter. The French also do this (imo) annoying old fashioned way of saying time "trois heures moins un quart/cinq". Never liked saying time this way >_<
  • In France, do the students really have Thursday and Sunday off of school? Or has this changed to Sat/Sun?
  • Learned 'why/because' this chapter. Also the verb 'to go'
2 x

Sayonaroo
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu May 23, 2019 1:57 am

so have you read any French yet??? I just ask since your last 2 posts don't match the name of the thread. I recommend who is she on lingq. It has translation, notes, and the transcription.
https://www.lingq.com/fr/learn/fr/web/course/20000
It seems like you have to login to access the content. signing up is free though.

I eased into French by watching my american shows with French subs (I have no desire to watch french dubs of american shows and I don't read the French subs intensely. I just use it to learn/notice whatever I can easily learn/notice.), doing some anki reviews of cards that were generated from french subs of american shows via subs2srs (no audio, just french and english text from subtitles so the cards are definitely not perfect. Sometimes I used deepl to generate a translation so I can have another reference besides the original English dialogue) and morphman (it orders the cards in i+1 order which is really helpful have you have 30,000 + cards !), going through who is she lingq, and currently I'm watching season 1 of Gossip Girl with French subs so I can learn from the dub since the transcript of the French dub is available. My anki settings are extremely lax and I cap the number of reviews since I still get the benefits without spending a lot of time on anki.

They also have mini-stories for French but I never got interested in going through them since I'd rather read something else. I think I might have felt inclined to go through them if I had no foundation in Spanish which gives me foundation in French to some extent.
https://www.lingq.com/en/learn/en/web/c ... es-courses

By the way lingq also has The Stranger by Albert Camus with the translation and audio. I plan on reading/listening to that once I understand daily conversation French on Gossip Girl.
Last edited by Sayonaroo on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 pm

23 May 19
Chapitre 8 Résumé of Le Français par la « méthode nature »
Reviewed the answer to Ch7-8 of Le Français par la « méthode nature »
Took notes on Lesson 2 of Assimil NFWE
L-R to Lesson 2 of Assimil NFWE

Notes:
  • Ex A was harder to do this time because now there are so many words that could go in the blank space but only one makes sense in the overall sentence.
  • Résumé was easy today so had time for Assimil. Finally got around to looking up the new words so I understand the dialog now.
  • I leave tomorrow morning and don't know if I will study during my trip or not. I'm sure I will have time before going to sleep so maybe will focus on Assimil while in New York.
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), Russian (И), Japanese/Chinese (Zzz)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu May 23, 2019 7:01 pm

ロータス wrote:[*]In France, do the students really have Thursday and Sunday off of school? Or has this changed to Sat/Sun?

Thursday was a day off a long time ago (more than 40 or 50 years ago). Thursday became Wednesday (with school the Saturday morning).
Then it was decided to do the week of 4 days and Saturday was without school. Then it was decided to do the week of 4.5 days with school the Wednesday morning...
4 or 4.5 days is a hot debate in France, it regularly changes (see the article on Wikipedia: réforme des rythmes scolaires)
5 x

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian
Latin

Postby StringerBell » Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 pm

Are you continuing to do anything with Mandarin for maintenance while you are studying French, or is that shelved temporarily/permanently?
0 x
Italian: Read 5,000 pages : 2045 / 5000
Italian: Write 50,000 words : 9100 / 50000
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Arnaud wrote:
ロータス wrote:[*]In France, do the students really have Thursday and Sunday off of school? Or has this changed to Sat/Sun?

Thursday was a day off a long time ago (more than 40 or 50 years ago). Thursday became Wednesday (with school the Saturday morning).
Then it was decided to do the week of 4 days and Saturday was without school. Then it was decided to do the week of 4.5 days with school the Wednesday morning...
4 or 4.5 days is a hot debate in France, it regularly changes (see the article on Wikipedia: réforme des rythmes scolaires)

Thank you for answering. According to wiki, "En 2018, plus de 80% des communes reviennent à la semaine des 4 jours " so I guess mostly 4 days now. This is a topic I will look forward to reading about in French. I would like to learn about why the switches at all and the benefits of the changes. :3 Saving for later: réforme des rythmes scolaires

StringerBell wrote:Are you continuing to do anything with Mandarin for maintenance while you are studying French, or is that shelved temporarily/permanently?

Shelved temporarily/permanently. ZH was always a 'fun language to try out that seemed easy'. When or if I go back to ZH, 100% going to just go back to graded readers and slowly learn back the words I have lost. My LWT setup is so good that really I only need to worry about grammar. My mindset now is FR (B1-B2) -> KR (B1) -> ZH (Fun). I just wish there was more IC for KR :( ZH was so easy to learn by reading because there is just so many resources out there.

**Just learned you can quote other people by scrolling down x.x
3 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Forgot to mention this before.

23 May 19

In Assimil lesson 2, we learn about 'est-ce que' and this has been so confused for some reason. Maybe because I'm translating but when I look at the sentence: "Est-ce qu'il est char, ce chapeau ? " the 'est-ce qu' doesn't seem needed to understand the question. Is it safe to just think of 'est-ce qu' as a question particle? xD

It is strange because I'm sure I have seen 'qu'il' and 'est-ce' before in Le Français par la « méthode nature » and had no problems understanding the readings but now when I see 'Est-ce qu'il' it feels unknown. Maybe it is the double 'est' confusing me...
1 x

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages:

Postby Morgana » Fri May 24, 2019 4:21 am

Last edited by Morgana on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Ser
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (feels like another mother tongue but it's not), French (intermediate), Latin/Ancient Greek/Mandarin (still sucking at them)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13579

Postby Ser » Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 am

ロータス wrote:I just wish there was more IC for KR :( ZH was so easy to learn by reading because there is just so many resources out there.

What does "IC" stand for?

ロータス wrote:Is it safe to just think of 'est-ce qu' as a question particle? xD

As a matter of fact, yes. So you can just shove that at the beginning of a statement to create a polar (yes/no) question.

Elle écrit ses pensées du jour 'She writes her daily thoughts' -> Est-ce qu'elle écrit ses pensées du jour ? 'Does she write her daily thoughts?'
Je te parle clairement. 'I speak to you clearly.' -> Est-ce que je te parle clairement ? 'Am I speaking to you clearly?'
3 x

Return to “Language logs”