Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 am

If you need something to watch. I recommend “Cuéntame como pasó” available on the RTVE website or app. The subtitles are pretty good. They are currently working on the 20th season, so it’s long. I wouldn’t say that it’s heavy on slang, but it will teach you a mountain of everyday colloquial expressions like “pagar el pato” and “el burro hablando de orejas”. I have a notebook full of vocabulary and expressions I learned from that show. Also, I think if you’re interested in history, it might be interesting to you. I find it fascinating. The show starts in 1968 and documents the daily life of an ordinary family and their friends during that time. It also shows the time period in great detail and you get to see the end of the Franco era and the transition to democracy in a way that feels like you are experiencing it day by day. It’s something you don’t usually get from reading a history book where you normally just get a broad overview. The show is also interspersed with occasional documentaries explaining the historical context.
2 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2-B1?)

Re: Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Postby GnomeChomsky » Wed May 22, 2019 4:27 am

Brun Ugle wrote:If you need something to watch. I recommend “Cuéntame como pasó” available on the RTVE website or app. The subtitles are pretty good. They are currently working on the 20th season, so it’s long.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendation, Brun Ugle. This sounds great!
0 x

Sparverius
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2-), Mandarin (B1), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10525

Postby Sparverius » Wed May 22, 2019 5:26 am

I just want to say I adore the title of this log. Am also hoping to find some material that makes Spanish more addictive myself, because unfortunately while I've gotten over my dislike of studying it some time ago I still find it rather hard to motivate myself to learn it over another language. Good on you!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”