Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed May 01, 2019 5:16 am

GnomeChomsky wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I wouldn’t worry too much about watching a show from Spain. There are differences in vocabulary, but it isn’t so bad, especially if you avoid using too much slang. Try to watch stuff or listen to podcasts or something from other regions too eventually. That will help you to understand a variety of accents and dialects.

Hi Brun Ugle! That's a relief! I'm getting sucked into El Internado's plot, so it would be difficult to quit now. I need to find out who's trying to kill everyone and why! I'll try to listen to some Latin American stuff to fill in the gaps. I've also been double checking with some bilingual co-workers when I run into phrases I haven't seen before. I'm lucky that they're so helpful.

You can also check with Word Reference. It combines two pretty good dictionaries and often indicates where a word or expression is used when it’s limited to certain countries, and how the meaning might differ between countries.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Learning Spanish with the speed of a 3 toed tree sloth and the memory of 3.5 floppy

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
GnomeChomsky wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I wouldn’t worry too much about watching a show from Spain. There are differences in vocabulary, but it isn’t so bad, especially if you avoid using too much slang. Try to watch stuff or listen to podcasts or something from other regions too eventually. That will help you to understand a variety of accents and dialects.

Hi Brun Ugle! That's a relief! I'm getting sucked into El Internado's plot, so it would be difficult to quit now. I need to find out who's trying to kill everyone and why! I'll try to listen to some Latin American stuff to fill in the gaps. I've also been double checking with some bilingual co-workers when I run into phrases I haven't seen before. I'm lucky that they're so helpful.

You can also check with Word Reference. It combines two pretty good dictionaries and often indicates where a word or expression is used when it’s limited to certain countries, and how the meaning might differ between countries.

Also, don’t worry about having given up before. I studied Spanish for three years in high school, stopped, started again in my twenties, stopped, started again in my thirties, stopped and now in my forties, have finally learned to learn languages and not give up. Now I’m at a level where I can understand most things and can have conversations, though they can be a bit awkward at times.
4 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Wed May 01, 2019 6:04 am

Excellent new log, I look forward to reading about your Spanish learning journey.

I too feel the shame of having Spanish all around me but not being able to absorb it by some magic osmosis like everyone else seems to be able to do :roll: :lol:

I have found what works for me is just to accept my weaknesses but also however bad I am just to promise myself I won't give up.

You'll get there eventually if you just keep going.

Sounds to me like you don't enjoy Anki much, I don't either, I know it's supposed to be language learning gold and all that, so I felt guilty giving it up. But it's one of the best decisions I made.

My top tip...find things you enjoy, makes spending time with and learning the language much easier and more likely.
2 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

GnomeChomsky
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2-B1?)

Postby GnomeChomsky » Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
GnomeChomsky wrote:

Thanks Brun Ugle! That's a great resource! I'm also glad that there's someone else out there who's stopped and started over again a few times. It makes me feel like there's hope for me. ;) I think you are right about learning how to learn another language. I'm using strategies now that I never did when I was younger and I think they are more helpful
1 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt

Postby GnomeChomsky » Sun May 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Bex wrote:Excellent new log, I look forward to reading about your Spanish learning journey.

I too feel the shame of having Spanish all around me but not being able to absorb it by some magic osmosis like everyone else seems to be able to do :roll: :lol:

I have found what works for me is just to accept my weaknesses but also however bad I am just to promise myself I won't give up.

You'll get there eventually if you just keep going.

Sounds to me like you don't enjoy Anki much, I don't either, I know it's supposed to be language learning gold and all that, so I felt guilty giving it up. But it's one of the best decisions I made.

My top tip...find things you enjoy, makes spending time with and learning the language much easier and more likely.

Hi Bex! It sounds like you can feel my Spanish-speaking pain. :lol: I am also finding that accepting my weaknesses and setbacks makes this journey easier. I think you are right about finding things I enjoy and sticking with it. There was a moment I was thinking of chucking El Internado for a Mexican telenovela, just so I could be exposed to the Mexican dialect. But then I thought, "Hey, I'm really liking this! It's like the Scooby Doo cartoons I used to watch as a kid!" And that was that. :D
1 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt

Postby GnomeChomsky » Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm

This week’s progress
Anki: 7/7 days

Extra Credit
Pimsleur in my car: 3 lessons
El Internado: 2 episodes

This week has been busier than usual. My family was in town and no one in my car (least of all me) wanted to hear me talk to my Pimsleur language partners. It meant less practice but I did manage to get some studying in.

I have been working on trilling those “rr” sounds with inconsistent success. Sometimes I sound like an asthmatic, purring cat, other times I sound almost normal. It makes me happy, though, to know that I can approximate it sometimes. It means that it’s possible?

I am learning new phrases and words from El Internado. I’ve been checking on the web for translations (THANKS for the resource Brun Ugle!) but I’ve also been double checking with co-workers. During the show, there’s a part of the plot that deals with Ratoncito Perez. I was happy to discover it is similar to the Tooth Fairy and thought it would be something fun to talk to Spanish speakers about. When I asked my co-workers, they told me Ratoncito Perez wasn’t really a thing in Mexico. Kind of disappointing.

In other news, I figured out how to use a bilingual dictionary on my Kindle. I have a YA novel in Spanish on it (La selección or The Selection), but I’m wondering if there are other books out there that are better for my B1 level?
2 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt

Postby GnomeChomsky » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm

This week’s progress
Anki: 7/7 days

Extra credit:
El Internado. Season 1 finished. I’m onto Season 2 now.
Language Exchange on italki. (1/2 hour of Spanish for me.)
Pimsleur Spanish V in the car

I’ve settled into somewhat of a rhythm with Anki and listening to Spanish in my car. I should also mention that I also have been working on Duolingo and Conjugato with Anki, too. I am not sure how helpful Duolingo is at this point, but it’s hard to give up, what with those daily reminders, notifications and that cute green owl. I’ve used my lingots to buy him a track suit.

I am making my own Anki deck as I encounter words I don’t know, but I’m also using an Anki deck called “Spanish 10,000 sentences from easier to hardest.” Sometimes the translations seem a little iffy, but I’m wondering if it’s just me. I did have a question about a translation - “El verano se ha ido” translated as “The summer is over.” I know “irse” is “to leave.” Can you use it to describe something that’s “over” or “finished” too? Like a class? Or a relationship? The translation for “The two left” was “Ambos se fueron.” It seems to be operating on the same principal? Maybe?

I’m on Season 2 of El Internado. Sometimes I stop a lot to look up words and make Anki cards. Other times, I just try to follow along and see where it goes. I’m using a chrome extension to slow down the speed of the show. It makes understanding and reading subtitles in Spanish a bit easier. I had to post these two photos just because they made me smile. Does anyone else see the similarities?

Conversation practice really helps. I scheduled two language exchanges this past week, but only one session worked out. I do sometimes wonder if anyone has had good luck finding an exchange partner for the long term? People have busy lives and it’s not always easy to make time for language sessions.

Another question on grammar, reading and writing. There are points during the day when it’s much easier to grab a few minutes on my phone (in the line at the grocery store, for example) than it would be to be on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for apps for B1-B2 practice in these areas?

By the way, I am really inspired by the logs I read on this message board. So many of you have made an art out of language learning. It's wonderful to see.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun May 12, 2019 10:46 pm

My best "app" for the intermediate level is pulling up a blog post or news article and rifling through it, hunting down all unknown words and looking them up. This only works if you have a minute to be still, like if you're in a doctor's office, because you have to click between tabs (dictionary, source article) rapidly. And of course, you could do the same with a book. My El Gran Gatsby book is small enough to fit in my tiny purse, and since I have my phone, I can make quick work of that novel.

I'm not sure what actual apps exist for the intermediate grind.

And by the way, Scooby Doo is an excellent way to learn some fun Spanish terms. It has a repetitious structure so you never have to worry about missing something. However different regions and eras of incarnations will (be) dub(bed) differently. And that's a good thing, too, because it teaches you a lot by using the same structure with slightly deviating ideas.
2 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt

Postby GnomeChomsky » Tue May 14, 2019 2:59 pm

eido wrote:My best "app" for the intermediate level is pulling up a blog post or news article and rifling through it, hunting down all unknown words and looking them up. This only works if you have a minute to be still, like if you're in a doctor's office, because you have to click between tabs (dictionary, source article) rapidly. And of course, you could do the same with a book. My El Gran Gatsby book is small enough to fit in my tiny purse, and since I have my phone, I can make quick work of that novel.

Hi eido! Thanks for the advice and good ideas! I'm going to see how a newspaper or an online magazine (like veintemundos?) does on my cell phone. :D
1 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt

Postby GnomeChomsky » Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 pm

This week’s progress
Anki: 7/7 days (It looks like I’ve been averaging about 15 minutes a day)

Extra credit:
El Internado. Oh my goodness! I’m totally hooked! I’m on season 3! I think I’ve watched this more than 10 hours since last week! (This included stopping to look up words and then maybe add them to my anki deck)
Language Exchange (italki partner 1/2 hour, irl partner about 1 hour)
Speaking Spanish Like Crazy (Level 2) in my car: I’m going to guess 2 hours
Telaraña de Carlota (Charlotte’s web) and websites: 1 hour

What everyone says is true. Highly addictive native material is something to treasure. Seriously! I have been watching El Internado non-stop. When I’m tired, I’ll watch with Spanish subtitles and can understand most of it. I’m worried that I won’t find something I like as much when I’m finished. I’ve heard things about La Doña and Gran Hotel. Any other suggestions? It would be great to find something that isn’t too heavy on the slang.

I finished a second pass of Pimsleur V in my car and I’m now listening to “Speaking Spanish Like Crazy” lessons 30 through 60. It’s definitely has a more drill and kill vibe than Pimsleur, but I think that’s helpful. Also, the speakers sound a little more natural and a little less like a 1950s sitcom.

I found a copy of Telaraña de Carlota or Charlotte’s Web. I loved this book as a little girl so it seemed like a good choice for reading. It’s slow going right now. I’m not used to reading fiction in Spanish and it shows. Lately, I’ve also been reading Muy Historia (https://www.muyhistoria.es/). I love learning about history so I love this website. If anyone knows any other website like this one, please tell me! It’s more motivating for me to read this website than Charlotte’s Web because…well my interests have changed a lot since I was 8 years old.

Today at brunch, a friend of mine said “Soy milk is just milk introducing itself in Spanish.” I’d never heard this one before and it cracked me up. I hope the rest of you had a great weekend too!
7 x

Return to “Language logs”