Mastering the 4 Languages: A Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Tamil (N) (B1) French (A2) Esperanto (A2) Hindi (A1/2) Malay (beginner) Chinese (beginner) Spanish/German/Kristang (occasional dabbling)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10420

Re: Mastering the 4 Languages: A Language Log

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:23 am

samothin wrote:Hi Bilingual_monoglot, we've the same goal! Anyway, I just want to bring to your attention that someone has curated few scripts for P Ramlee movies, and publish it for his PhD. This is the one I found for Seniman Bujang Lapok.
https://www.academia.edu/16526466/Skrip ... jang_Lapok

Hope you find it helpful for your Malay studies. Anyway, good luck!

Terimah Kasih samothin. I think those scripts will be useful for helping with my Malay. Indeed, we do have similar goals. Maybe I might join your KL language meetup someday and we can practice our languages together. All the best to you too!
0 x

Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Tamil (N) (B1) French (A2) Esperanto (A2) Hindi (A1/2) Malay (beginner) Chinese (beginner) Spanish/German/Kristang (occasional dabbling)

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Ok, a friend of mine has roped me into using Anki for my revision. Hence, I have also started to use it for my Malay vocabulary, to good results. For Mandarin, I have just bought the Paul Noble course using my allowance. I plan on jumping straight into it later today. Apparently it is based on Chinese vocabulary from English. Moreover, my Tamil article reading has been going strong. Also, I think I want to regularly show you guys my level in these languages. I'm thinking either target language posts on this log or linking to videos on YouTube. I am leaning more towards the latter because
1) Tamil keyboard is a pain to use
2) I find it easier to articulate when speaking than writing
3) I am functionally illiterate in Chinese

So, that's about it for my learning activities.
0 x

Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Since my H1 A levels will soon be over, I have been thinking about what languages I should work on in the future. I think I probably should continue to work on my Tamil so that I can be at a level that would allow me to pass it on to the next generation. However, I would like to take a brake from actively studying it for a while as I have been working on it for 10 years, and I would also like to make room for other languages.
Spanish appeals to me for a couple of reasons. First, my Filipino friend has been learning it for a while to get in touch with that part of his country's heritage and I would like join him for the ride. Also, the Spanish only forum exists, and I feel like I am missing out on some potentially cool discussions because I don't really speak Spanish. Not to mention, it's the second most widely spoken native language on the planet.
This same friend and I also joke about learning Greek as English has so many Greek words, and we can kind of read the alphabet because of maths. But, what if I take it to its logical conclusion... and actually learn Greek?
Then, there is also the fact that I have to join the army in a couple of years, and I want to see if i can get a vocation where I can use my languages. To position myself well, I am thinking of other South East Asian languages like Vietnamese, Thai and Tagalog, as well as maybe Arabic.
Maybe, after my exams, I can do a sereies of 6WCs to help me decide on my linguistic future.
2 x

Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

So, I have been trying out Paul Noble's Chinese course and so far, I have been enjoying it. I have also bit the bullet and bought myself a premium subscription for Lingq. As such, this is what I have been doing the past week and my plan going forward

Tamil
The plan is to read at least 1 article or 1 page of literary text a day. I am doing this little because
1. I also have to go for class and do homework for Tamil as well
2. I want to set this up as a habit
3. I am planning on increasing the amount of exposure once I focus exclusively on my H1s for A levels.

Malay
I am mostly just using Lingq and looking for Malay conversations for now.
Once I finish "Who is she?", the only lesson for Malay on Lingq at the moment, I am planning on importing interesting native content (Bujang Lapok, more modern films on Netflix, music etc.). I am also going to continue reviewing vocabulary using Anki.

Chinese
I am planning to just continue to go through Paul Noble for now. However, once I get the time, I am going to start going through the hanzi. This is so that I can use Lingq for Chinese

Since I have a premium Lingq subscription anyway, I think I might also use it to help maintain my French and Esperanto although I am currently not actively working on either of them.
2 x

Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 am

Ok, so I have a few updates. First, I am now 20% through the Paul Noble course. I am also slowly making my way through Lingq for Malay. Also, I had a Tamil exam a few days ago. I don't think I did too well though :(
The realisation that my Tamil A levels are just 2 months away really hit home with that exam. So, my plan for Tamil from now until the day of the exam (at least) is full immersion. To that end, I have stockpiled on Rajinikanth films, changed my phones OS to Tamil (I don't know how to do it on my laptop), created a Tamil only music playlist, and have decided to read Wikipedia, literature, and the news only in Tamil as far as possible. This will hopefully push me up to a B2 level, at which point I will consider myself fluent enough to declare my journey with the language done (for now).
So now is the final lap, when I put in all my effort. See you :)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”