Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:51 pm

I think H.G. Wells used the expression "come to the end of its tether" about mankind in one of his books.

SCO: Yestreen ah hae seed ane o these eerie tv programs whaur somebody defends a rideeculous claim, but in the process tells me a heap o things ah dinnae knoo afore. Here the claim wis that the Scots coroneetion stane or Stane o Scuin (which John Major returned tae Scotland) was the stane used by Jacob in the guid beuk near Bethel when he laid down his weerie heid tae leuk at angles runnin up an doun a ladder tae the skies. Well, hou shoud it hae gane fra Israel tae Scotland in the first place?

The first theorie wis that the prophet Jeremiah fled tae Egypt wit a princess an met a Greek Miletus (Miletos?) and wis kicked oot frae Egypt and went tae Ireland whare Miletos died, but Miletos in Erse wisnae a Greek at aw but semply a sodger ("miles") frae Spain, said a wise man frae Ireland ... OK, nocht wis said more aboot that thaught. But mebbe the stane wis brought oot frae Israel 150 eyars afore when the assyrians were ancoming an wid kill and murder an torture and rape an steal, and then mebbe the peeple alang the coast - Dan's tribe - jumped ASAP intae their sheps and sailed tae Ireland with the stane used by Jacob in the guid beuk near Bethel when he laid down his weerie heid tae leuk at the angles runnin up an doun that skyrie hallooed ladder. And in Ireland the immigrants were acourse kenned as "Tuatha dé Danann" ... ahem, a wise man frae Ireland said that naebody in thare sane mind wid accept that the TdD ware humans, acause o the strynge tuathe dé danann warnae humans but gods and that wis the truth and nutting but the truth. Houever not all sources descrive the Dananns as aethereal gods - some telled aboot fights wit men where they bytimes got handsomely whacked. Ah quote frae the Irishcentral: "The Danann were defeated in two battles by the Milesians, whom historians and scholars alike agree were probably the first Gaels in Ireland. Not only were the Danann defeated by military might, but by cunning too. It was agreed that the new invaders and the Danann would each rule half of Ireland, and so it was that Amergin of the Milesians chose that half of Ireland which lay above ground, leaving the Danann to retreat below." Ha ha, dumb gods. OK; mebbe the "Tuatha dé Danann" warnae the lost tribe o Dan frae Israel.

The stane o scuin wis next found in Scotland, according tae Walter Hemingford in the closter of Scone, a few miles benorth o Perth, but In 1296, the stane wis taken by Edward I Longshanks as spulies o war and taken tae Westminster Aibey, whare it was fitted intae a wooden cheer - kenned as Keeng Edward's cheer - on which maist subsequent English monarchs have since sat down during their coroneetions tae humiliate the Scots. But did they reelie put thare ryal bums untoe the stane where Jakob placed his weerie heid tae vizzie at the skyrin angles runnin up an doun the ladder tae the heivens ?

Noo - naur the end o the program the TV peeple mentioned that the sandstane o the royal bum stane by geologists has been localized tae a quarrel naur Perth. But mebbe the stone frae Westminster isnae the reel stone frae Ireland, and then it wadnae be the stane where Jakob put his weerie heid monie years afore - quote: "The Westminster Stone is certainly not the stone of Iona mentioned in early documents and traditions. Geologists confirm that the Stone is 'lower Old Red Sandstone' and was quarried in the vicinity of Scone".

Aarrrggh - we hae treikad efter the wrang stane...

Kunst149.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 am

Iversen wrote:By the way, the idiomatic expression "til vejs ende" (hyperliterally "to road's end") is interesting because it lacks a definite article AND uses the genitiv form of the substantive.

I made a mistake here. The word "navns" is in the genitive for perfectly logical reasons (the road's end) - but the absence of an article is still noteworthy. However archaic genitives after "til" do exist in expressions like "til vejrs" (upwards - 'to the weather'), "til lands", "til vands", and similar frozen datives are found in expressions like "til hånde".

RO: De ieri, am citit un articol în limba română în scienceinschool.org, numit "Descifrăm misterul formăarii plănetei noastre" de J.Ganne şi V. de Andrade. Cercetatorii au vizitat mai mult de o sută de locații din Africa de Vest, unde au luat mostre de şisturi verzi din perioada Arhaic din istoria Pământului - o perioadă de cu cel puțin 2 miliarde de ani în urmă. S-a descoperit că aceste pietre au suferit metamorfoza într-un mod care sugerează temperaturi cuprinse între 200 și 500 de grade C, dar de înaltă presiune, iar punctul este că aceea poate avea loc numai în zone de subducție. Și asta înseamnă că trebuie să aibă continente mai mult devreme în istoria Pământului decât s-a crezut pînă acum.

And no - there weren't any gnome-ridden blue birds around at the time, but the picture below is the one in my collection that is closest to illustrating a subduction zone. You have to make do with what you have got...

Btw: Yesterday I dined with some old collegues so it became a short evening. But I did manage to do a Bulgarian wordlist based on a list in my grammar of more than hundred feminine nouns which end in a consonant. And because the grammar is in French I also learnt a few French words along the way.

Kunst153.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I think H.G. Wells used the expression "come to the end of its thether" about mankind in one of his books.

This expression conjures up a sort of feeling of desperation, and is usually used (at least in everyday language) when one has lost patience with someone or something. "The end of the road" is more usually associated with a feeling of resignation to the inevitable.

(A modern usage of tethering that had passed me by until google helped me out was the tethering of smart phones to computers).

Probably from Scandinavian, apparently:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=tether
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 pm

When I looked up "tether" in Google the new gadget-related meaning totally dominated the results. The book "Mind at the End of Its Tether" from 1945 was H. G. Wells' last book - only 34 pages long, and the expression is refers to the sorry state of mankind in a far future where people have become totally inane coach potatoes while the machines or aliens or cockroaches or whatever run the show - I haven't read it since the 70s.

EO: La ĉiujara universala multekosta esperanta kongreso de 2016 okazos en julio en la malgranda slovaka urbo Nitro (kiu nur havas cirkaŭ 82.000 loĝantojn), kaj mi estis iom skeptika de la gastigadaj ebloj en urbo kun tiel malmultaj loĝantoj. Nun mi premendis ĉambron en la urbo, kaj tiam probable estas ankaŭ pli bona subskribi baldaŭ ĉe la konferenco. Krome, mi legis la revuon "Esperanto" por februaro, kiun mi povas elŝuti el la interreto kiel pdf. Almenaŭ duono de la revuo estas dediĉita al organizaj aferoj kiuj ne min interesas minimume, sed ekzistis almenaŭ referenco al libro tradukita de la lingvo Bretona: "La ŝtelisto la vento "de Roparz Hemon (kiu ankaŭ estis esperantisto), kaj oni mencionas la tute freŝan detekton de gravitaj ondoj ĉe la giganta LIGO-observejo en Usono, kiu laŭ la revuo estis fondita en 1992 specife por serĉadi gravitajn ondojn. Se mi estus vere petola, mi nun demandas min ĉu vi povas fidi je homojn kiuj pasigis sian tutan vivon kaj bilionojn de dolarojn atendantaj ke du tankegoj tremas en speciala maniero kun certatempa intervalo. Kaj kun la gravitaj ondoj ci-tia ado nur forpasis unufoje, sed ili klare atendas ke ni kredos ilin.. Ekzistas pli videoj de flugantaj subtasoj kiuj renkontas similajn kriteriojn, do eble mi tuj devas ankaŭ kredi en ili. Kaj en la Higgs-partiklo. Kaj en sasquatchoj kaj en Patro Kristnasko...

GR: Χθες μελέτησε την τελευταία δίγλωσσων κειμένων μου επί της σημιτικές γλώσσες, το ένα σχετικά την Ακκαδική, το άλλο σχετικά την Αμχαρική και άλλες Αιθιοπίες γλώσσες.

Kunst040.JPG
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Today I have spent a fair amount of time looking into my holiday plans for the rest of the year, and against expectation it wasn't totally wasted time from a language learning perspective - partly because I also look at the hotel recensions, which can be in a number of languages. Those for Nitro later this year were generally in Slovak or Czech - I can't see the difference, but understand just enough to avoid certain places. My TV wiewing since Sunday has been as varied and unsystematic as usual, but I would like to mention that I have watched a couple of programs about freemasons and 'Illuminati'. It is a simple historical fact that half of the founding fathers of the USA were freemasons so it can't really come as a surprise that Washington DC seems to be laid out according to a geometrical scheme inspired by masonic thinking, nor that a number of churches in London after the fire in 1666 were placed in a pentagramme with St. Pauls in the center and not even that the plan of Louvre and the gardens right up to the Egyptian obelisque seem to be modelled on the ground plan of the Luxor temple. It is not more of a conspiracy than it was to draw Brazilia as a giant airplane or Karlsruhe as a cobweb. As for the Illuminati there was a group of that name in the 18. century, and there may even be groups now that picture themselves as heirs to that tradition - but I can't see any evidence that they rule the entire world from behind the scene.

IC: Allt þetta tal um frímúrarar minnti mig á grein í Sagan Öll yfir þá. Það segir í raun sú sama og TV útsendingar, en með meiri áherslu á steinsteypu sögulegum staðreyndum.

POR: Hoje eu li principalmente sobre frutas brasileiras - e há milhares de frutas brasileiras. Tenho apenas visitado o Brasil uma vez, o que foi em 2002. Aqui havia tantas barracas com suco de fruta que eu poderia realizar uma intenção de nunca beber o mesmo suco mais de uma vez - e eu poderia ter vivido por várias semanas em Rio sem quebrar esta regra. No artigo "Medico mantém pomar com mais de duas mil frutas exóticas em Rio Claro" se fala sobre Sérgio Sartori, de 65 anos, que tomou o tempo para reunir millares de árvores e arbustos raros apesar de trabalhar como ginecologista. Por exemplo, o senhor Sartori tem 110 tipos de mangas. Aqui na Dinamarca só podem comprar um tipo, o qual vai diretamente de ser imaturo para ser podroso. Tenho tambem estudado descrições mais sistemáticas dum sitio chamado e-jardim e outro chamado Weblaranja - e agora estou aqui à tela obtendo um ataque de 'Wanderlust' no sentido geográfico e turistico do termo ...

Araçá o Psidium cattleianum - a weird kind of guava (Wikimedia).
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:45 pm

EN: Once again I have let a few days slip without adding to this thread, and the main reason is that I have done more or less the same things as I normally do: a few wordlists, some copying-studying, reading, watching TV with or with sound, eating, sleeping and venturing out into the world to buy even more things to eat. One unexpected thing however happen yesterday: I received a phone call concerning Gaspard de la Nuit. Some of you may vaguely remember that in this very thread I have mentioned the one and only masterwork by Louis Bertrand (published under the pseudonym Aloysius Bertrand), which I translated to Danish during my French studies and got (partially) published in 1980. Based on three of the prose poems in this work Ravel wrote a piano suite by the same name. It seems that there will be a concert in Tivoli in Copenhagen in July this year where this work will be played by a virtuoso with the requisite skills and the relevant poems read aloud by an actor, and now they were looking for Danish translations of these three poems. And found me, probably because of the old book which they couldn't find anywhere, not even at our two national libraries. Maybe the reason is that I have used the name form "Louis Bertrand" au lieu de "Aloysius Bertrand".

FR: Or il semble que cette forme du nom a été popularisée par Baudelaire. Le nom complet est "Louis Jacques Napoléon Bertrand", et l'auteur lui-même a expérimenté avec la forme "Ludovic Bertrand", mais en 1980 j'ai choisi de rester avec le nom Louis Bertrand. L'auteur était un de ces pauvres "auteurs maudits" du milieu artistique souterrain de Paris autour de 1830-1840. Il mourut de phtisie en avril 1841, et le livre fut publié en 1842 à l'instigation de David d'Angers.

Les trois poèmes utilisés par Ravel sont Ondine, Le Gibet et Scarbo. En effet il y a deux poèmes nommés Scarbo dans le bouquin de poèmes en prose de monsieur Bertrand, et le poème que j'ai cité à la page 2 de ce 'log' (ou journal) n'est pas celui que Wikipédia en Anglais cite, aussi vais-je citer cet autre poème et sa traduction danoise ci-dessus. Ma source du poème original est le projet Gutenberg:

Scarbo

Oh! que de fois je l'ai entendu et vu, Scarbo, lorsqu'à minuit la lune brille dans le ciel comme un écu d'argent sur une bannière d'azur semée d'abeilles d'or!
Que de fois j'ai entendu bourdonner son rire dans l'ombre de mon alcôve, et grincer son ongle sur la soie des courtines de mon lit!
Que de fois je l'ai vu descendre du plancher, pirouetter sur un pied et rouler par la chambre comme le fuseau tombé de la quenouille d'une sorcière.
Le croyais-je alors évanoui? le nain grandissait entre la lune et moi, comme le clocher d'une cathédrale gothique, un grelot d'or en branle à son bonnet pointu!
Mais bientôt son corps bleuissait, diaphane comme la cire d'une bougie, son visage blémissait comme la cire d'un lumignon,—et soudain il s'éteignait.

Scarbo.jpg
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:06 pm

EN: After I had (re)dipped my toes in the murky waters of damned French poets yesterday with Aloysius Bertrand I looked up a few of his contemporaries and read some poems and other stuff. I read quite a lot of it back in the 70s, but these days I rarely venture the realm of French poetry. One site with a good collection of arcane free stuff is the Gutenberg Project - not least because you get the poems from a whole book on one page, one poem below the other. But for instance there wasn't a complete collection of poetry by Mallarmé, and the other collections I found had each poem on a separate page. Which effectively means that you have to press a button for each poem, which may only be 20 or 30 lines long. Life is too short for that.

FR: Parmi les oeuvres qui m'ont déçu il faut mentionner "Les Chants de Maldoror" par Isidore Ducasse (sous le nom "Comte de Lautréamont"), malgré l'impression qu'elle a laissée chez les surréalistes et l'aura du mal suprême qu'on lui a confert dans les livres sur la litérature 'souterraine' de l'époque. Ici il convient de citer l'avant-propos du Projet Gutenberg:

"En écrivant cette notice, nous voulons simplement détruire une légende formée, on ne sait trop pourquoi, à l'endroit de la personnalité du comte de Lautréamont. Dernièrement encore, M. Léon Bloy, dont la mission, ici-bas, consiste décidément à démolir tout le monde, les morts comme les vivants, tentait d'accréditer cette légende dans une longue étude consacrée au volume[2]: il y répète à satiété que l'auteur était fou et qu'il est mort fou. —«C'est un aliéné qui parle, le plus déplorable, le plus déchirant des aliénés.»—«La catastrophe qui fit de cet inconnu un aliéné ...» —«... Car c'est un vrai fou, hélas! Un vrai fou qui sent sa folie.» Et plus loin: «L'auteur est mort dans un cabanon, et c'est tout ce qu'on sait de lui.» En écrivant cela, M. Léon Bloy a sciemment fait de très mauvaise besogne; en effet, il résulte de l'enquête très approfondie que nous avons faite, il résulte de documents authentiques que nous avons recueillis, que l'auteur des Chants de Maldoror n'est pas mort fou. "

Donc, monsieur Ducasse n'était pas fou, mais le problème c'est que son oeuvre est trop confuse pour pauvre de moi. Si je lis des poèmes ou oeuvres poétiques en prose (ce qui arrive très rarement) j'attends quelque chose qui me surprenne par un niveau technique exquis, et qui soit en même temps surprenante et pas trop longue. . Il y a chez Ducasse des passages qui ont ces qualités, comme par example le début ou il met en garde les lecteurs potentiels des conséquences de la lecture:

Plût au ciel que le lecteur, enhardi et devenu momentanément féroce comme ce qu'il lit, trouve, sans se désorienter, son chemin abrupt et sauvage, à travers les marécages désolés de ces pages sombres et pleines de poison; car, à moins qu'il n'apporte dans sa lecture une logique rigoureuse et une tension d'esprit égale au moins à sa défiance, les émanations mortelles de ce livre imbiberont son âme, comme l'eau le sucre. Il n'est pas bon que tout le monde lise les pages qui vont suivre; quelques-uns seuls savoureront ce fruit amer sans danger.

Mais ce qui suit est une effusion confuse et assez inoffensive en dépit de quelques essais vains de nous choquer. Comme par example ici:

—Père céleste, conjure, conjure les malheurs qui peuvent fondre sur notre famille.
—Tu ne veux donc pas te retirer, mauvais esprit?
—Conserve cette épouse chérie, qui m'a consolé dans mes découragements ...
—Puisque tu me refuses, je te ferai pleurer et grincer des dents comme un pendu.
—Et ce fils aimant, dont les chastes lèvres s'entr'ouvrent à peine aux baisers de l'aurore de vie.
—Mère, il m'étrangle ... Père, secourez-moi ... Je ne puis plus respirer ... Votre bénédiction!
Un cri d'ironie immense s'est élevé dans les airs. Voyez comme les aigles, étourdis, tombent du haut des nuages, en roulant sur eux-mêmes, littéralement foudroyés par la colonne d'air.
—Son cœur ne bat plus ... Et celle-ci est morte, en même temps que le fruit de ses entrailles, fruit que je ne reconnais plus, tant il est défiguré ... Mon épouse!... Mon fils!... Je me rappelle un temps lointain où je fus époux et père.

La meilleure solution selon moi serait d'extraire de l'oeuvre des passages pas trop longs avec une structure qui convienne à confier à chaque extrait le caractère de poème en prose. Un prime candidat pour ceci pourrait être la partie beaucoup trop bavarde sur le vieil océan:

Vieil océan, aux vagues de cristal, tu ressembles proportionnellement à ces marques azurées que l'on voit sur le dos meurtri des mousses; tu es un immense bleu, appliqué sur le corps de la terre: j'aime cette comparaison. (blah-blah-blah)

Vieil océan, ta forme harmonieusement sphérique, qui réjouit la face grave de la géométrie, ne me rappelle que trop les petits yeux de l'homme, pareils à ceux du sanglier pour la petitesse, et à ceux des oiseaux de nuit pour la perfection circulaire du contour.
(blah-blah-blah)

Vieil océan, tu es le symbole de l'identité: toujours égal à toi-même.
(blah-blah-blah) Tu n'es pas comme l'homme, qui s'arrête dans la rue, pour voir deux boule-dogues s'empoigner au cou, mais, qui ne s'arrête pas, quand un enterrement passe; (blah-blah-blah) Je te salue, vieil océan!

(blah-blah-blah))

Vieil océan, tes eaux sont amères. C'est exactement le même goût que le fiel que distille la critique sur les beaux-arts, sur les sciences, sur tout. Si quelqu'un a du génie, on le fait passer pour un idiot; si quelque autre est beau de corps, c'est un bossu affreux. (blah-blah-blah) Je te salue, vieil océan!

(blah-blah-blah))

Vieil océan, il n'y aurait rien d'impossible à ce que tu caches dans ton sein de futures utilités pour l'homme. Tu lui as déjà donné la baleine. (blah-blah-blah) Je te salue, vieil océan!

(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)
(blah-blah-blah)

Kunst090.JPG
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

EO: Mi antaŭe rezervitis gastigadon en Nitra por la jara Universala UEA Kongreso, kaj nun fine mi kolektis la fortojn per ankaŭ aliĝi min. En tiu kunteksto mi legis iun Esperantadon en la interreto, kaj mi ankaŭ relegis la malnovan duan bultenon de Kopenhago 2011. Kostas € 225 por partopreni en tiu ĉi jaro, kio estas sufiĉe multe, sed almenaŭ la tuta kongreso daŭrigos tutan semajnon (kvankam kun tre malmulta sur la tagordo de la unua tago kaj libera tago merkrede). Nu, ne estas senpaga vivi...

EN: My goodnight reading yesterday was a fairly short article about Theropoda and a much longer one about the human evolution, both from Wikipedia in Afrikaans. The theropodes are all twolegged critters, and they belong to the Saurischia - i.e. the "lizard-hipped" dinos, including the Theropoda and the Sauropodomorpha. The latter comprise the enormous vegetarian dinosaurs with big bellies, long necks and long tails who had to revert to fourlegged movement because of their size. The first Saurischia (Herrerasaurus, Coelophysis etc.) were all bipedal carnivores. The other main groupe among the dinosaurs is the Ornithischia ("bird-hipped") which comprises both bipedal and quadrupedal herbivores. Among the bipedal ones you find the hadrosaurs like Iguanodon (see below), and among the quadrupedal ones you find both horned dinos like Triceratopus and armoured ones like the Euoplocephalus (whose name I have cited as the latest word I have learnt so far in my native Danish - picture below). The funny thing from a philological point of view is that the birds belong to the Saurischians, not to the Ornithischia.

Euoplocephalus.jpg

TRex190.jpg

By the way, did you know that the Asian elephant is closer related to the extinct wholly mammoth than it is to the African elephant?

AF: Die mens se evolusie kan gedefinieer word as die geskiedenis van die genus Homo, maar die artikel noem ook kort enige vroeë voorvaders soos Sahelanthropus, Orrorin en Ardipithecus, wat 5-7000000 jaar gelede geleef het, en wat in de middel van de stroom tussen chimpansen / bonobos en die genus homo staan. 'n Spesie soos Ardipithecus het 'n klein brein en lang arms, maar het rechtop staan. Die ontwikkeling in ons deel van die stamboom het voortgegaan met die Australopithecines wat verdeel word in twee: robuuste herbivore en gracile omnivore. Die herbivore had groote kakebeen spiere en groot mae, maar baie pipkleine breins. Die gracile Australopitecinen hun brein was ook klein, maar groot in verhouding tot hul skrale liggame. Ongelukkig skik baie bronne breingrootten as absolute terme aan te dui. Die korrekte is kilogram brein per kilogram liggaamsmassa (encephalicerings graad) te meld, omdat dit is die afstand neer tot dit waarde wat suggereer as jy uitgeslaper as 'n gemiddelde dier is of nie.

Die informatioon op die genus Homo is omvangryk en verwys na bekende spesies soos habilis, erectus en sapiens, maar ook ten minste 'n dosyn ander spesies soos gautengensis, georgicus, cepranensis en antecessor. Trouens, daar is te veel name, en ek dink dat iemand sal moeten opruim in hierdie moeras - dit kan nie waar dat ons so baie name moet hê wanneer die paleontoloë nie eens kan saamstem oor die grense tussen hulle nie! Daar is twee groot dele van die land vir 'n vroeë mens: Oos-Afrika (Kenia na Ethiopië) en Suid-Afrika. Alleen uit grotte naby Gauteng en Suid-Afrika het men ten minste drie spesies (behalwe Australopitheciner) gevind: die heel primitiewe Homo Sediba en Homo gautengensis (wat betwis word), maar benewens ook 'n splinternuwe spesie, Homo Naledi, wat nie in myn uitdruk gelys wees nie. Dit is egter baie interessant, want hulle geraamtes van ten minste 15 individue diep in 'n byna ontoeganklik grot gevind het. Die uitgrawingleier was feitelyk te vet om selfs deel te neem in die uitgrawing, so hy het geadverteer voor jong dun paleontoloë sonder claustrofobie. Die probleem is dat die naledas het baie klein brein, en daar was net naleda-bene in die grot. Dit beteken dat die bene nie geplaas kun wees deur 'n roofdier nie . So die vraag is of mensen met so kleine breine kon begrafnisrituele beoefen?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:30 am

Yesterday evening my activities were focused on two languages: Albanian and Serbian (or whatever they call their language in Crna Gora). The Montenegro part was due to the sender RTCG, which showed programs with very little background music and lots of clear crisp talk. First a program about Hellenistic-Roman finds in the vicinity of Budva, and later a news broadcast with a lot of information about floods - with torrents of water streaming through streets and over fields.

SE: Испод можете видети три слике: прво разгледницу показује Будва пре земљотреса 1975. г., тако Будви као што сам на видела место у мају 1986. године и на десну Будви 2008. године, када поново сам посетио град.

Budva.jpg

Besides I collected material for upcoming Albanian green sheets from the minigrammar at Wikipedia and from my grammar/textbook by Teichmann - now I basically just have to fill in some holes and write the whole thing down again on green papir without all the cross-outs. And after that I copied/studied a passage from the Albanian Wikipedia about loanwords in Albanian. With most other languages I would already now be doing dictionary based wordlists, but my Fjalor Shqip is a somewhat cumbersome fellah to work with. It contains most of the words I try to look up, but the headwords are hidden between examples and compound forms, and often there is an example with a translation into English instead of a simple and concise translation. I'm however happy to have it - it was bought from a street vendor in Prishtina in Kosova, just for fun and as a souvenir, and at the time I definitely didn't think about learning the language. I bought my grammar/textbook in a bookstore in Tirana, where it was the closest thing to a real proper grammar I could find. But I hate grammars that ask ME questions. My conception of a grammar is that it should tell ME things and not the other way round.

And then finally around midnight I looked through a lot of customer reviews for places in Nitra - which took me through a series of texts mostly in Czech, Slovak and Polish. Among these I only have studied Polish, but I understood a fair amount even in the other languages - and I have to say that the harsher the criticism, the more entertaining it is to read (although I discovered that there is one room in the place I have booked that is right above the oven of a pizzeria - I sincerely hope I don't get that room). I have also written a few things about these reviews in the Wanderlust team thread, ..

PO: .. i wspomniał mi lichy polskiego mężczyznę, który miał tylko jedno gniazdko elektryczne do dzielenia się między telewizorem i lodówką. Więc albo dostał zimne piwo, albo widział filmy czeskiej.

Kunst010.JPG
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:38 pm

I have been on a family visit with the usual resultat: a dip in my study activities. Because I now am on 'post-salary' ("efterløn" in Danish) I can do so outside the weekends, and the pertinent reason for this last visit was that my mother from April 8 onwards has got a new cable TV provider with a more complicated system, and I was summoned to try to make sense of the changes. She still needs a thingy to stuff into a slit on her TV in order to get individualized self-choose channels, but now she can at least watch the standard Danish channels.

GE: Wie ich bereits geschrieben habe, sind die deutschen Sendungen aus Zoos vorzügliche Quellen echter gesprochener Sprache - die Sorte, wo Spuren von Dialekte zu hören sind und Tapire und Elefanten als "Mäuschen" bezeichnet werden. SWR sendet um der Mitte des Tages "tierische Kumpel", wo eine Vielzahl von Zoos im Ruhrgebiet besucht werden: Duisburg, Wuppertal, Gelsenkirchen , Dortmund und Aquazoo in Düsseldorf. Ich habe vor etwa 15 Jahren viele von ihnen auf einen Winterurlaub im Ruhrgebiet besucht, aber gerade heute habe ich einen neuen Urlaub in der Gegend zwischen Köln und Dortmund organisiert, wo ich so viele Zoos und Tiergärten wie möglich besuchen werde. Die Zoogeschichten aus Frankfurt und Kronenberg heißen "Zoogeschichten aus Frankfurt und Kronberg", aber fast alle andere Zoo-Sendungen heißen sowas wie "Tier A, Tier B & Co.", und davon habe ich auch etliche im Fernsehen gesehen. Unter denen möchte ich die folgende erwähnen: "Elefant, Tiger & Co." (Leipzig zoo) in MDR und anderswo, "Nashorn, Zebra & Co" (Hellabrunn in München) auf ARD, "Leopard, Seebär & Co" (Tierpark Hagenbeck, Hamburg) auf ARD/NDR, "Panda, Gorilla & Co." (Berlin Zoo und Berlin Tiergarten), "Giraffe, Erdmännchen & Co." (Stuttgart Wilhelma) und "Seehund, Puma & Co." (Zoo am Meer in Bremerhafen und Jaderpark). Viele von diese Sendungen sind glücklicherweise auf Mediatheken zu finden - wir haben ja nicht alle Astra zuhause.

Kunst140.JPG

Übrigens hat Hagenbech jetzt wieder Walrosse (und Eisbären), und sie sind sehr viel fetter und eher rödlich als grau als auf meiner Malerei. Dies wird wohl unter "künstlerische Freiheit" einzustufen sein.

Hagenbeck_walrus.jpg
0 x

Return to “Language logs”