Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby luke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:26 pm

Iversen wrote:A museum lent more than 500.000 DKK in cash (almost 100.000 €) :shock: to an 'artist' (or whatever you choose to call him), and ... he just ran off with the money and claimed it was part of the so-called artwork, hahaha :lol: . Now the museum people are suing him for theft :evil: , but some 'art experts' expect the price of the empty frames to soar into the millions :o because of all the publicity caused by this calamity.

And the unholy - if I may use that word - alliance between these so-called 'art experts' and those with millions to spend on such nonsense.

Now, if some of your stuff fetched a million, I wouldn't be surprised, nor think there was some shady dealing going on. :)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:25 am

I am busy right now collecting musical themes, so I have less time than normally to study - but even when I collect themes I do read things onscreen. For instance I listened to some files with old troubador/trovère music in instrumental versions yesterday - well, actually you rarely have more than a melodyline for those pieces, but then the performers or their assistants have supplied the rest, and it still sounds interesting. And when I then check up on things through Youtube, IMSLP and/or WIkipedia and other sourches I do stumble over entertaining tidbits - for instance yesterday I read this angry outburst from the trouvère Colin Muset, where I basically writes a poem that says that his current host hasn't paid him for his playing and singing ("j'ai vielé - cfr the the old string instrument 'vielle'), that this is a disgrace/crime ("vilanie") and that there is low tide in his purse ("bourse") - the whole lot of course in Ancient French from the mid 13. century:

Sire cuens, j'ai vïelé Devant vous en vostre osté;
Si ne m'avez riens doné Ne mes gages acquité:
C'est vilanie. Foi que doi sainte Marie, Ensi ne vous sieuvré mie.
M'aumosniere est mal gamie Et ma bourse mal farsie.

I have also read some Italian from 1698 (where signore Torelli published his opus 6) and a few things from the 13. century in Ancient Ocitan, and I have reach the letter V in the alphabet. Once I have got through Z in my music files I'll take a break before I make fair copies in black ink, scan them and integrate the result into my theme collection. And after that I should have lots of time to study languages and maybe even to travel a bit again...

Apart from that I have finished the guide to Burgers' zoo and made some new printouts for closer scrutiny in Russian and Indonesian, including one text from the Indonesian Wikipedia about the gannet - you may remember that I mentioned it recently? I also found a literary magazine called Northwordsnow.co.uk with texts in standard English, Scottish Celtic and more or less authentic Laeland Scots. [SC] Ah printed a wee thing oot fre ane o the Scots tales on that site, but t'is nae reallee fullblawn Scots tae mine mynd, and t'is kynd o langoursome - a quote for tae illustrate the style:

"There's a whumping noise that vibrates through the hale hoose".

Ah like the last twa wirds, but had expectit a wee bit mair frae the first 7,5 ...

Kunst131.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 pm

When I wrote about project 'theme collection' Tuesday I expected to finish the collection phase in a few days - but that same day I got a phone call from my old and frail mother that made me change my plans and take the first the best train down to her place. And her state was such that I probably will have to lease a car for a month and spend a considerable part of my time keeping her company (and doing some of the things she can't do herself anymore, as a supplement to what her home care assistants do). That will take time from everything else I do, but in the current situation it can't be otherwise. I did however manage to grab some study texts and stuff them into my bag before I left home, and I also have placed my old Micro Langenscheidt for almost modern Greek permanently there - I bought a newer version with the current orthography in Rostock last December - so that I could do Greek wordlists.

Among the text samples there was a fairly long article in Russian about the Labyrinthodonts, an extinct (and possibly polyphyletic) animal group living from the Devonic to the early Triassic era. They owe their name to some extremely complicated tooth surfaces, which to my mind look as much like oriental mandalahs as they look like labyrinths. Now I could write a long tale in Russian about these critters, but I'm more inclined to mop up my theme collection because I can see the finishing line of that project - language learning is forever.

x05a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:54 pm

Now that I have got that car it should also be used for local tourism. I had a meeting in my travel club yesterday, and on my way there I visited among other things the new exhibition about the Rus vikings in Eastern Europe in the Moesgård museum south of Århus. And now I already have a problem of language choice. The first generations - who mainly came from Sweden - definitely spoke Old Norse (and in some cases things like Old Gutnish from Gotland, a close relative or dialect of Old Norse). OK, I cannot write in Old Norse, but Icelandic is a fair substitute. There is a "Tale of Bygone Years" or "Primary Chronicle" written by the monk Nestor which tells about the events in Old Church Slavonic (another hole in my skills). The original version has (of course) been lost, so there are several later versions to choose from, but they tell that the story that the tribes that lived along the river Volga asked three viking brothers to put a bit of order to the trade along the river - and then the 'Varangians' ('væringjar' in Old Norse) took that as an invitation to make their own nation 'Garðaríki' there. For some reason that reminds me of what happened when king Vortigern asked some Saxons, Angloes and Jutes to help him defeat a cumbersome neighbour. And when he forgot to pay their salary they conquered most of Celtic England.

The first important person was Rurik (Hrœrekr, 'Rørik' in Danish), and his brothers were Sineus and Truvor. Rurik ruled from Novgorod (Великий Новгород, 'Holmgard' in Old Norse), but other varangians in the meantime founded Kiev further South, but the rulers there were murdered by a relative of Rurik, Oleg, whereupon he made the town his own capital (and then I have to admit that even though I have played around a bit with Ukrainian I can't write in it - shame on me).

RU: Однако могу констатировать, что Новгород оставался важным торговым городом с необычной степенью гражданского влияния (в общей сложности купцы играли важную роль), но все они прекратились, когда Иван Грозный разгромил город в 1570 году. Иван был, кстати, дальним родственником Киевской династии, и поэтому можно утверждать, что только со смертью его глупого сына цепь перестала возвращаться к династии Рюриковичей.

EN: The most interesting ruler of Kievan Rus was Olga (Norse: Helga), who came to power when her rambustious husband Igor died in skirmishes with a tribe called the Derevlians (the 'forest people'), who for some reason refused to pay taxes. But Olga was a cunning lady: when the derevlians sent a delegation with the message that she ought to marry their own ruler, she let the population of Kiev lift their ship up and carry it, which the delegation members thought was a special honour - but the whole ship with the delegation aboard was thrown into a deep hole and buried alive. Then she sent a message back asking for a delegation to take her back to their prince so that she could marry him. This second delegation was invited into a bath house, which was duly put on fire - well, she had promised them a hot bath, and they got it. What more can you ask for? Then she sent a message back to invite the forest dwellers to a big feast at the tomb of her late husband, and some 5000 Drevlians arrived. OK, they got all the mead ('mjöður') they could ask for, and then her troups easily killed the stuporous drunken lot off. Soon after she came with a full army from Novgorod to lay siege at the Drevlian capital Iskorosten, but hey, it refused to surrender! Then she proposed to leave it in peace if each household just please would send her three pigeons and three sparrows as a goodbye gift. They were stupid enough to do it, and she tied burning stuff to the legs of the birds and sent them back into the town, which completely burned down. Morale: don't irritate someone named Oljga! Later on she visited Byzans ('Miklagard'=the big town), where she converted to christianity and almost got married to the emperor - but she had asked him to be her Godfather and then they couldn't be married, haha. So Oljga got home to Kiev as her own master, but with a mighty ally and a new religion (though the general shift to Christianity only really took place later). She kept her power until her son came of age and started to make wars all over the place - but he died in an ambush through Pecheneg territory.

We can't know how much of all this is a tall tale made up by the monk Nestor centuries later, but the Rus did rule the Western part of Russia and Ukraine up to at least the second millenium, where the memory of the Viking heritage waned and people started to speak Ukrainian.

Olga.jpg

IC: Víkingar frá Noregi og Danmörku héldu að mestu í vesturátt, svo það voru sænsku (og gotlensku) víkingarnir sem ferðuðust um austur. Það eru nokkrir rúnasteinar í Svíþjóð sem segja að einhver hafi látist í austri. Á sýningunni Moesgaards er vitnað í nokkra af þessum rúnasteinum (því miður án fornnorræna textans - aðeins danskur og enskur), og ég sá líka einn slíkan á norðurslóðasafninu í Rovaniemi í Finnlandi. Í gegnum þessa staði og skriflegar frásagnir má sjá hversu mikla ferðaþrá víkinga er. Jafnvel er vísað til ferðalanga eins langt í burtu og Georgíu, þar sem her Bagrat IV konungs hefur að sögn fengið stuðning frá hvorki meira né minna en 1.000 varengunum í orrustu á Rioni-fljótin (hvar konungurinn tapaði). Kannski ferðuðust víkingarnir enn lengra - ef Haraldur Viðfar gæti komið 3.000 hermönnum til Kákasus, er líklegt að sumir hafi komist enn lengra - en þetta er bara ekki skjalfest.

F6219a04_Asgautr's_stone.jpg
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:25 pm

Iversen wrote:Then she sent a message back to invite the forest dwellers to a big feast at the tomb of her late husband, and some 5000 Drevlians arrived. OK, they got all the mead ('mjöður') they could ask for, and then her troups easily killed the stuporous drunken lot off.
The early Romans did something similar, but less violent. They invited a neigbouring town to a feast, then kidnapped all the young women.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:38 pm

LAT: Quam "Sabinae Raptae" eventum conatum est...

The Rape of the Sabine Women (Poussin, Metropolitan).jpg

RO: Apropo: regele român (și erou național) Vlad Țepeș nu era un fan al cerșetorilor și oameni leneși. Se presupune că a invitat o mulțime de cerșetori la o petrecere la Târgoviște și a ars coliba în timp ce stăteau în ea. Problema rezolvata.
5 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:35 am

Iversen wrote:SW:Jag läste något om gotiska språket och såg en referens till Dalmål (Dalecarlian), som är en väldigt gammaldags avkomma efter fornnordiska - förmodligen inte ens en variant av svenska språket, men en bevarad kvarleva i avgrunden mellan västnordiskan och östnordiskan. Från den svenska Wikipedian var det ett link til swedia.ling.gu.se, där man kan höra olika dialekter av detta språk med tillhörande transkripter. Och jag måste tyvärr erkänna att jag behövde texterna för överhuvudtaget att förstå vad dessa fornnordiska dalarborna sa. Det är oklart om Dalmålet har fått officiell status som minoritetsspråk i Sverige, men det måste troligen ske snart om det ska lyckas innan det dör ut.

Sverige har ett annat hotat nordisk relikspråk, nämligen gutnisk, vars position i språkträdet de lärda äro oensa om. Det kan vara en ättling till fornnordiska (som svenska språket), men vissa ser det som frånsplittrat ännu tidigare. Jag läste en gång den enda bevarade sagan i Oldgutnisk, Gutasagan, som är den sista delen av Gutalagen från 1220 - den äldsta av de två bevarade handskrifterna är dock från mitten av 1300-talet, men det är också mycket länge sedan.. Det skola vara intressant att höra om våra infödda svenskar här på Llorg har problem med att förstå dalmål respektive (gammalt) gutnisk, men det skola inte förvåna mig.

AF: Ek het oor Elfdaals taal by die oud forum geskryf. Dit is inderdaad 'n baie oude en fassinerende taal. Elfdaals moet 'n verskillende taal wees, en nie 'n Sweeds dialek nie. Hierdie taal het tog so veel kenmerke vandaan Oudnoors bewaar. Elfdaalssprekers het ook 'n paar uniek innovasies soos nasaal vokale uitvind.
Last edited by mick33 on Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:46 am

Iversen wrote:When I wrote about project 'theme collection' Tuesday I expected to finish the collection phase in a few days - but that same day I got a phone call from my old and frail mother that made me change my plans (...)

I finished the 'theme collection' phase Sunday, but then I spent several days at my mother's place to keep her as far as possible happy and well fed, and I only returned yesterday afternoon. But after my return home I started the 'black ink' phase, which also will take a fair amount time - possibly interleaved with the 'scan and integrate' phase. However we are speaking weeks here, not months..

When I left home Monday I brought some of my used bilingual study texts - I can read them at night without needing a dictionary. I already had the old Greek-German Langenscheidt in my bag and left it at her place - I have enough Greek dictionaries in my homely abode, including a newer version of the one I left behind. And I did a Greek wordlist with some 200 words plus one with maybe 100 rare French ones (from an old Gyldendal from the forties) during my stay so you can't say that I didn't study down there. But I don't have internet access during those visits except through my smartphone - and I had forgotten that at home (yes, I know that some of you would be more likely to forget your shoes than your phone when you leave home, but I still don't understand the thing and in spite of a few redeeming features I still hate it).

Because it is easier to put a pure writing/copying activity aside for a couple of hours than a concentrated listen-to-hundreds-of-hours-of-music activity I expect to be able to put in a few sessions with my usual language studies. I'm already beginning to plan a major learning spree once my theme collection project has been brought to an end (except for unexpected isolated unpleasant discoveries in the future), but the situation may change.

Kunst079.JPG

GE: Übrigens hatte ich heute einen Traum mit deutschen Elementen. Ich war in Hannover und mußte von dar mit dem Zug zu eine (nicht-existierende) Stadt namens Dietz fahren - angeblich in der Nähe von Köln. Der Bahnhof von Hannover war schon seltsam geworden - winzig, aber mit Zügen auf mehreren Ebenen, die man mit minimalistischen Aufzügen erreichen konnte. Mein Zug sollte von Gleis 4a abfahren, und ich hatte irgendwo gelesen, daß dies gegenüber von Gleis 4b sei. Aber zuerst gab es kein 4a, nur 4b, und wenn ich endlich 4a fand, gab es dort kein Schimmer von einem Zug, also bin ich in den Zug am 4b eingestiegen. Und wenn wir einen Moment später Göttingen passierten, war es eindeutig klar, daß ich im falschen Zug saß. Ich beschloß dann den Schaffner zu finden, um ihm zu sagen, daß er von mir keine Fahrkarte erwarten sollte, aber die Tür vom Waggon zum nächsten Waggon war unsichtbar – es stellte sich aber heraus, daß man einen Sitz herausziehen konnte, und dann öffnete sich die Tür. Endlich erreichte ich die Front des Zuges, und da saß der Schaffner beim Lokoführer in einem gigantischen Raum. Ich schaffte es gerade noch, die zwei zu begrüßen, bevor ich erwachte. Nicht viel geschwätz in diesem Traum, aber mehrere Texte auf Deutsch.

F4419a04 - ICE 1 Klasse von Hannover nach Magdeburg.jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:52 pm

Yesterday I chose an old (2008) issue of the French travel magazine Ulysse as my nightly 'lire et dodo', and I actually finished it in one go before I fell asleep. I have bought a fair amount of magazines about travelling, history and science during my voyages, and sometimes I reread one of them - and after 14 years I had forgotten all about the content of this one so it's like I had bought it yesterday. Its main theme was the Caribbean islands, and ..

FR: .. je ne saurais nier que j'y suis allé plusieurs fois - mais pas pour des vacances à la plage. Lors de mon premier voyage dans la région, j'ai visité la Grenade, la Martinique et la Barbade. J'avais acheté les billets d'avion chez une agence de voyages, mais j'avais organisé moi-même le logement par téléphone. J'avais d'abord étudié Lonely Planet qui disait que le carnaval martiniquais était en mars. Lorsque j'ai appelé mon hôtel favori à La Plantage au centre de Fort-de-France en Martinique, la dame m'a proposé une chambre double à un prix très raisonnable. J'ai évidemment accepté. En effet j'ai entendu une autre dame en arrière-plan dire quelque chose concernant le carnaval, mais je me suis dit qu'elle parlait du carnaval un mois plus tard (j'ai voyagé en février 1999), et si il y eusse eût du carneval pendant mon séjour les prix eussent été astronomiques .. donc. Eh bien, j'ai d'abord voyagé vers Grenade, où on avait célébré leur 25 années d'indépendance avec des parades etc. etc dans une manière assez modeste et paisible, et de là j'ai pris l'avion à Martinique où .. bopbop, vouz le devinez: c'était le chaos total, aussi nommé 'carnaval'. Et ma chambre avait une vue sur l'endroit le plus bruyant de toute la ville!

Plus tard, j'ai appris que le carnaval bouge comme Pâques et la Pentecôte, et qu'il y avait une loi qui interdisait aux hôtels en Martinique d'augmenter les prix - c'est pourquoi je pouvait les payer. Et j'avait presque une semaine (je devait partir vers Barbade le tout dernier jour, où il y aurait eu un dernier défilé voué au diable que j'ai loupé), et comme vous pouvez le voir sur la photo, j'avais un balcon juste au-dessus de la place centrale où tous les cortèges pataugaient en martelant aux tambours et au trot des cors. Heureusement, il y avait un MacDonalds sans musique dans une ruelle dans le quartier derrière l'hôtel où on pouvait se reposer les oreilles, et je pouvais faire du tourisme le matin - mais à partir de douze heures, tous les transports publics se sont arrêtés et la plupart des habitants de l'île ont pataugé autour sous mon balcon, et ils ont fait le vacarme jusqu'à longtemps après minuit. Une expérience mémorable et passionnante, pleine de couleurs, mais aussi un tout petit peu fatigante...

F1540a01 _ carnaval_Martinique.jpg

Triptyque carnavalesque.jpg
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:14 am

Right now I spend roughly half my time at my aging mother's place, but I have learnt to bring along some language guides and texts so that I can do a minimum of language maintenance there. I returned home yesterday and have spent most of my time on musical themes since then, but as goodnight reading I used an issue from 2009 of the excellent French science magazine "Science et Vie" with "Le système solaire" as its main theme. Back then Pluto had just been demoted to the status of dwarf planet ('planète nain') after the discovery of other similar objects further away, but it had not yet been visited by the space probe ('sonde spatiale') New Horizons which had been launched in 2006. That's only one point where our astronomical knowledge has grown since 2009 - another could be exoplanets (although that wouldn't be a relevant topic for the issue in question).

Apart from that I have read parts of the Assimil guide to Indonesian, done even more wordlists in Greek and watched TV in a number of languages, including the "Sjov med Språk" på NRK 1 (Norwegian), which is interesting because of the subtitles in New Norwegian. I turn the sound down if there is a risk of singing - and last time there was far too much singing in the program. And this morning (at 6:00) I woke up from a dream in unusually loquacious German:

GER: Das unrealistische Thema des Traumes war, daß ich versprochen hatte, eine Schule in Flensburg zu besuchen und dort vor einer Schulklasse einen Vortrag zu halten, und ich stand im Vorspiel mit meinem Gepäck (das viel umfangreicher war als sonst) an einer Bushaltestelle und wartete. . Ich überlegte, wo ich es platzieren sollte, wenn ich anstelle des Vortrages einen Touristenmässigen Spaziergang in die Innenstadt machen würde, letztendlich entschied ich mich aber dafür, diese Stelle zu lassen und zur Schule zu gehen. Hier wurde ich von einer Lehrerin mit orangefarbenen Haaren empfangen, die versuchte, Dänisch mit mir zu sprechen. Ich sagte aber, daß Deutsch mit mir in Ordnung wäre. Sie 'übergab' mich an einen Lehrer namens Erich (oder Erik), mit dem ich mich auf ein Thema und eine Zeit einigen sollte, und ihm listete ich auf, worüber ich sprechen könnte – unter anderem Fremdsprachen, Musik, ferne Orte, mich selbst. Der Traum endete glücklicherweise vor dem Vortrag, aber am Ende hatte ich viel mehr gesprochen als in meinen normalen Träumen – und ausschließlich auf Deutsch. Ich sah nur ettliche Lehrer und Lehrerinnen und einen total überarbeiteten Schulleiter - kein einziger Schüler.

FR: J'ai choisi d'illustrer ce message avec ma peinture "El Desdichado" sur un poème de G.Nerval, pas pour le contexte littéraire. mais parce que la planète Jupiter apparaît en bas à droite et parce qu'il y a un soleil noir (éclipse solaire) dans le poème.

Kunst007.jpg

PS: Vous vous souvenez peut-être que je me suis plaint qu'il n'y avait plus de références à d'autres versions linguistiques sur Wikipédia français? ... mais elles sont toujours là, pourtant maintenant en haut à droite - et maintenant les Wikipédiens ont introduit un message spécial pour les visiteurs ennuyeux comme moi :

Aller en haut.jpg
6 x

Return to “Language logs”