Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 pm

I have spent most of the day editing my photo and travelogue registration system - first because I have noticed some idiotic errors when I show travel reports to my mother, but then I ran into something more tangible, namely the problem posed by stereophotos where the two parts are horisontal ('landscape'). The point is that the mid points of the two photos involved shouldn't be further apart than the distance between your eyes, and if the photos are vertical ('portrait') you can see several times more stuff than if they are horizontal - so now I have changed the system in such a way that when you see a 'horisontal' stereo picture you also automatically get one half of it in the same size as a corresponding non-stereo landscape photo. I started making stereo photos in the late 80s, but it took till around 1994 before I realized that stereo photos always should be based on twain vertical photos for comfort. I have written several times about the topic of stereo photos here at Llorg, for instance here, but somewhere in the murky waters of HTLAL there is hidden a more comprehensible rant about the topic.

S0117a01,2 - 2 x Nijo, Kyoto.jpg

I did however manage to squeeze in a bit of language studies too this evening, for instance by studying an article about the tools of neurophysiology in Russian - and the funny thing is that I could read most of it without looking words up, but of course that is easier in 'soft' science texts than in a novel or poetry.

RU: Содержание статьи не было для меня новым — текст был одним из нескольких из Википедии и других источников, собранных в двуязычную миниатюрную антологию, так что с лексикой я уже был знаком. Однако сейчас я трачу на русский меньше времени из-за ситуации в мире, чем до февраля, и поэтому хорошо, что я достиг стадии, когда его можно использовать для чего-то конкретного. Но, к счастью, есть много других славянских языков...

Текст был очень коротким, но я знаю из других источников, что ученые теперь могут обнаружить в мозгу человека признаки, указывающие на то, что человек думает о чем-то конкретном. Проблема в том, что на этом очень детальном уровне оказывается, что в мозгу людей есть разные структуры. Но измерения с помощью ультратонких проводов и зондов на внешней стороне головы могут быть использованы для получения данных, которые можно использовать через компьютер для управления устройствами и для связи. Таким образом, старики с ограниченной подвижностью могут когда-нибудь получить костюм, который считывает их желания и выполняет их — и тогда мы все станем андроидами.

Кстати, андроиды мечтают об электрических овцах? Мы так и не получили разъяснений по этому вопросу от миссис ЛеГуин.

Kunst171.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm

Today I have worked a little bit with my photos, but spent more time on my languages - for once..

I have just watched a program on TVE about Roman ruins in Spain, first Cadiz (Latin 'Gades') and after that Mérida, the old 'Emerita Augusta', called like that because it was populated by veterans ('emeriti') from the army during the reign of Augustus - and there are lots of Roman remains in both and in places in between (the famous Roman roads and subterranean water channels). I have not visited Cadiz yet, but I took a couple of photos during my stay in Mérida - including the amphitheater below.

F0514b04_Mérida.jpg

Apart from that I have spent the day studying a few Slavic languages:

SLK: Môj slovenský text hovoril o pojme psychóza a popisuje halucinácie postihnutých, narušené vzťahy a poruchy nálady. Pojem "psychóza" zaviedol rakúsky filozof Feuchtersleben v roku 1845 a nahradil (do určitej miery) "šialenstvo" ... a teraz sa čudujem, prečo sa rakúšan nazýva "rakúšan".

RU: Мой русский текст (из Википедии) был довольно краток и касался пропавших без вести или секретных документов о смерти Берии. Берия был главным палачом Сталина, и когда Сталин умер в 1953 году (вероятно, убит, возможно, самим Берией), существовал серьезный риск, что Берия станет его преемником. Но, к счастью, его тоже казнили - другие вожди, вероятно, помнили, как Сталин путем показательных процессов истреблял коммунистическое окружение, давшее ему власть. Они не хотели, чтобы это повторилось.
У меня тоже есть текст из газеты.ру о Жданове, сталинского министра культуры - очередной монстр сталинской эпохи..

SER: Мој српски текст је био о граду Нишу, који сам, наравно, посетио – али то је било давно и тамо сам био само једно вече и једну ноћ. Град се налази у јужном делу Србије и је трећи по величини град у земљи.

F3645a04 - gateway to the fortress Kale, Nish.jpg

UK: Перечитав текст про Середньовіччя.

RO: Și bineînțeles limbă româna nu este o limbă slavă, dar de fapt m-am uitat și pe un text despre bucătăria medievală, bazat pe scrierile a doi bucătari francezi (cu mult înainte ca Michelin să fie inventat). Articolul ne amintește că Rabelais enumeră 385 de feluri de mâncare în cartea sa despre Pantagruel (cu melci și broaște?) și 78 de feluri de cofetărie - trebuie să verific asta! De asemenea, se spune că legumele erau disprețuite și folosite doar pentru supe. În acest punct, s-a produs încă de atunci câteva schimbări minore în mentalitatea mesenilor..

POL:
Potrzebuję jeszcze języka polskiego, ale jeszcze się nie skończył wieczór.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Let me first mention that I did do something about my Polish yesterday evening - I found an article in the bilingual airport magazine Airgate about the attempts to promote Polish spectacles on a market dominated by two foreign vendors -not exactly the most exciting thing I have seen, but at least it was in Polish. I have still some problems with Polish, and one of the more irritating is that the fonts used in for instance Airgate, but really ANYWHERE (including on my computer screen) make the crossing lines on the letter ł (pronounced more or less like w in English) so ultrathin that I have to use a magnifying glass to separate it from the letter l (pronounced as an ordinary sensible l). As a petty revenge I tend to exaggerate the difference in my own handwriting:

Polish l's.jpg

And after that I studied a text in Albanian that informed me that the former leader of the party PD (Berisha) now is more popular than the current leader (Basha) - and sorry to say it, but I hadn't see that come. Like most of you ...

AL: ... unë shumë rrallë lexoj gazeta shqiptare.

But then I had to find some more materials to read in that language, so I made a new bilingual collection exclusively with articles from the internet newspaper abcnews.al - and I had a bit of fun choosing some silly translation languages: Romanian for an article about the current inflation situation, Catalan for the sinister message from Ryanair informing us that the days of one euro flight tickets are over, Greek for a short message where the paper presents itself and finally French for a rather long rant about the "Përmbytjes së Madhë" (the great Flood), with references to Gilgamesh and Plato and the researchers that have studied the brief period 7000 years ago where the Black Sea suddenly was filled with water. It was clearly a major natural disaster, but I don't believe for a moment that specific memories about that event could have survived till the days of the Babylonians who wrote about the perambulations of mr. Gilgamesh around 2100 AD (almost verbatim the story that later was nicked by the people who wrote the books of Moses). But I never had a chance to start reading that article because I dropped into a trap called Occitan.

Actually it's not the first time I study that language - I followed a course in Ancient Occitan during my study, and I have actually concocted a few short messages in Occitan both on HTLAL and here on LLORG. The HTLAL thing mentions a long text about the Sumerians in Occitan which I have returned to several times, though not in recent times. So I got the idea that it might be fun to read a bit of Occitan again in anyone of its dialects - it doesn't matter which one as long as it doesn't use the orthography of Mistral (Occitan has at least seven more or less living dialects, and I don't know the differences between them). Unfortunately I don't feel at ease writing in Occitan myself at this point, but the sources I mention below are so easy that I can read them without looking words up - which is lucky since my only dictionary is the one by Lévy from 1909 which focuses on the language of the troubadours and trobairitzes. And Google Translate still can't translate Occitan - it believes that it is Catalan.

Of course I first found something on Wikipedia, an article about Montpelhier (Montpellier), but then I ended up at the homepage jfbrun.eu, which has a fair amount of content - though many of the links it provides are outdated.The one thing that functions is the page with links to writers from past and (almost) present. Most of them are however Medieval, and the poetry from back then is not quite as easy as later prose, but luckily there are ample biographical notices in Occitan (interspersed with Langue d'oïl), like for instance this clip from the article about Folquet de Marselha:

Folquet de Marseilla si fo fillz d'un mercadier que fo de Genoa et ac nom ser Anfos. E quan lo paire muric, si-l laisset molt ric d'aver. Et el entendet en pretz et en valor ; e mes se a servir als valenz barons et als valenz homes, et a brigar com lor, et a dar et a servir et a venir et a anar. E fort fa grazitz et onratz per lo rei Richart e per lo comte Ramon de Tolosa e per En Barral, lo sieu seingnor de Marseilla.

I suppose that those who are fluent in French also can understand this, but writing things yourself is quite another matter.

After a quick perousal of some other texts of this kind I found a link to an internet newspaper https://sapiencia.eu, and to my surprise it had also articles about scientific subjects, including paleontology, including one about an early pterosaur named Dimorfodon (see the picture below).

OC: Sabètz coma recognoscer un pterosaur primièr ? Lo a un caud long. Lo pterosaurs mai tards an quasi pas de caud.

Dimorfodon (from Sapiencia,eu).jpg
7 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:34 am

Iversen wrote:Let me first mention that I did do something about my Polish yesterday evening - I found an article in the bilingual airport magazine Airgate about the attempts to promote Polish spectacles on a market dominated by two foreign vendors -not exactly the most exciting thing I have seen, but at least it was in Polish. I have still some problems with Polish, and one of the more irritating is that the fonts used in for instance Airgate, but really ANYWHERE (including on my computer screen) make the crossing lines on the letter ł (pronounced more or less like w in English) so ultrathin that I have to use a magnifying glass to separate it from the letter l (pronounced as an ordinary sensible l). As a petty revenge I tend to exaggerate the difference in my own handwriting:

As I get older and my eyesight gets worse I'm glad I can use my Kindle to read on instead of paper books with a small font. I've thought that for instance Vietnamese must be a nightmare because of all the diacritics. Japanese is out of the question for me to read on anything but the computer. Anyway I think the Polish haven't got any problems as they would instantly know if the word should have l or ł.

See this post in my log on how the polish learn to write the polish L.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 pm

One of the many reasons that I haven't tried to learn Chinese is that I have seen some books printed in Chinese, gosh! How do people read those absolutely minuscule signs? And my eyesight hasn't improved since I saw them so I'm not going to change my decision.

As for the Polish ł (the one with the line across ... but I doubt that you can see it on your screen - I can't on mine) I had a problem: I have been forced to write my t's with just one vertical line to separate them from ł and l. But not only that: there is a z, a ź and a ż in the Polish alphabet- so to avoid mixing them up I also had to learn to write dots over the otherwise totally innocent letter i, where I normally would use a a line that might be connected to neighbouring letters. Now I try to write dots as dots in Polish and ´ accents as ´s, but as you can see in the specimen above I don't always rarely succeed in doing this over i's in presence of other letter. Old habits are hard to break.

I have have similar issues with other languages, but not to the same extent as in Polish. For instance I had stopped writing dots over j's, but then I learned Dutch where there is ij's all over the plafce - and the superfluous dot crept back in. In the Cyrillic alphabets there are letters like ц and щ which mostly are printed with absolutely minuscule hooks (or whatever they are called, I don't remember). But to make the щ really different from ш I have learnt to make oversized hooks - and I like that shape better than the usual one. Generally I have less problems with Cyrillic and Greek because I never was taught to write in Italic handwriting (for some called "skønskrift" in Danish) so I write as close to a book font as possible, but those hooks do need some special treatment.

Apart from that: tha last couple of days I have spent at my Mother's place, where I spent some time in the evenings writing Greek wordlists. But apart from that I have not done much of relevance to this illustrious forum.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:46 pm

I wrote my latest post in this thread a week ago on a library computer while waiting for a train to Germany. I visit my mother regularly, and normally I go home in between those visits. But I had a 9 € ticket burning in my pocket, and I wanted to see something outside Denmark, so I had booked 1. class tickets from the station nearest to my mother's homely abode to Koblenz and back. Why 1. class? Well, I intended to take a nap on my way down to Koblenz, and I reckoned that chances were better at 1. class - and the calculation was spot on: I got a 6 persons compartment at the front end of the ICE train for myself, and everything went as planned until South of Remagen (just 15-20 minutes from Koblenz) - then I heard "KRONSJ KROnsj kronjs .. onsj .. sj .. sj - psssss ..." - we had clearly run over something and/or somebody, and we were stuck for 2½ hours there. And the worst thing was that the train personnel had expected a train from Koblenz to come and fetch us, and therefore they had asked everyone in the train to come to the front end of it - and goodbye my nice quiet corner of the world. But no train came, and we had to wait until the section of the rails was cleared up until we were allowed to continue to Koblenz.

And on the way home by golly, the same thing happened again: the train stopped at a small station named Diepholz between Osnabrück and Bremen, and we were told that the train in front of us had rolled over something or somebody, and the section had been closed. An ICE train rolled up to our left, which didn't bother me - but to our right a local transport train arrived (one that could be used with the 9 € ticket), and it was full of football supporters. The point seemed to be that Dortmund and Werder Bremen had played in Dortmund, and until the 90' minute Dortmund had led 2-0 - but in the overtime Bremen had scored three times ... and the happy supporters were now returning to their hometown in the train beside us. Well, they actually behaved well under the circumstances, but you can hardly expect ardent supporters to shut up and be quiet when their team has won against expectation. I had to take an extra night in Hamburg before returning to my mother's place, but then I could at least visit the Kunsthalle. And then I stayed a couple of days cooking food and doing gardening and other things at my mother's place before I could return to my own flat. Since my return I have spent a full day organizing my photos and writing a travelogue from this short, but intensive trip, but now I am finally ready to study normally again for a couple of days.

F6317b01_ICE von Hamburg HBF nach Koblenz HBF.jpg

GER: Und ich war natürlig auch fleißig beschäftigt während meines kurzen Aufenthaltes in Deutschland. Nach der Verspätung kam ich gegen acht Uhr Morgens in Koblenz an und fuhr gleich über Trier nach Saarbrücken, wo ich den Zoo besuchte. An den Bahnhöfen stellte sich schnell heraus, daß die Züge unregelmäßig fuhren – meist wegen Gleisreparaturen, mitunter wegen Personalmangels und gelegentlich wegen nicht näher bezeichneter Polizeieinsätze. Oder ohne jegliche Verklärung. Man konnte vielleicht so was erwarten, wenn die Leute einen Monat lang unbegrenzt mit Nahverkehr fahren können (d.h. Züge außer IC und ICE, Linienbusse und Stadtbusse) und gleichzeitig umfangreiche Schienenarbeiten durchgeführt werden. Ich verlor aber viel Zeit damit, auf verspätete Züge zu warten.

Und natürlich könnte ich den ganzen Tag mein Deutsch üben. In Mainz diskutierte ich mit einem Angestellter des Landesmuseums über Freuds Persönlichkeitsmodelle und andere Themen, bis mir plötzlich dämmerte, daß ich den geplanten 14:10-Zug nach Frankfurt verpaßt hatte - und der 15:10-Zug fuhr mit einer halben Stunde Verspätung ab. Das Senckenberg Museum mit den vielen Fossilien konnte ich rechtzeitig besuchen, aber nicht den Zoo - zumindest nicht ohne nach Einbruch der Dunkelheit in meinem Hotel in Koblenz anzukommen, und ich hatte für ein schönes Zimmer mit Badewanne und Kühlschrank und Blick auf den Ehrenbreitstein bezahlt, und das möchte ich natürlich auch genießen.

Ich erinnere mich auch an eine Begegnung mit einem drei- oder vierjährigen Jungen und seiner geduldigen Mutter in einem Zug. Er interessierte sich sehr für Dinosaurier und brachte einen Raptor mit, der fast so groß war wie er selbst. Und als er jemanden mit dem gleichen Interesse traf, öffnete er sein Ranzen und holte mehrere kleinere Dinos heraus, darunter einen "Compie", den ihm sein Opa geschenkt hatte. Ich könnte sagen, daß sein vollständiger Name vermutlich Compsognathus wäre, aber es ist offensichtlich einfacher, bloß "Compie" zu sagen.

F1906a04 Compsognathus (Senckenberg).jpg

EO: Post mia reveno, mi legis la lastan numeron de "Esperanto", kaj ĝi diras, ke la lastaj kelkaj jaroj nun estas disponeblaj en la interreto senpage, ankaŭ por ne-membroj de UEA. Bedaŭrinde ĝi ne estas la plej ekscita revuo sur la tero, sed tamen bela iniciato.
9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Iversen wrote:I wrote my latest post in this thread a week ago on a library computer while waiting for a train to Germany. I visit my mother regularly, and normally I go home in between those visits. But I had a 9 € ticket burning in my pocket, and I wanted to see something outside Denmark,
I'm reading a travel book about Rügen at the moment, have you ever been there?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:29 pm

No, the nearest place I have visited in that area is the town Stralsund - one of the members of the ancient Hansa.

Deutschland.jpg
3 x

frenchfish55
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian(N),English(C1),French(A2)-Active learning
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18440

Postby frenchfish55 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:15 am

Iversen wrote:RU: Мой русский текст (из Википедии) был довольно краток и касался пропавших без вести или секретных документов о смерти Берии. Берия был главным палачом Сталина, и когда Сталин умер в 1953 году (вероятно, убит, возможно, самим Берией), существовал серьезный риск, что Берия станет его преемником. Но, к счастью, его тоже казнили - другие вожди, вероятно, помнили, как Сталин путем показательных процессов истреблял коммунистическое окружение, давшее ему власть. Они не хотели, чтобы это повторилось.
У меня тоже есть текст из газеты.ру о Жданове, сталинского министра культуры - очередной монстр сталинской эпохи..

Your knowledge of russian is impressive.Really good.
Looks like it was written by a native speaker
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:59 am

frenchfish55 wrote:Your knowledge of russian is impressive.Really good.
Looks like it was written by a native speaker

Ha ha, the funny thing is that I can't speak Russian, only write (and to some extent read) it - Russian for me almost a purely written language. I can of course hear a voice in my head when I read or try to think in it, but for instance I can never be sure that the accents are placed on the right syllables. As for the grammar I have made green sheets with the essential morphology, which I use in those cases where I'm in doubt about an ending - but by and large I know them now (it took a long time!). I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by frenchfish55's positive judgment - I know for instance that I have trouble not with the actual forms of perfective versus imperfective verbs, but more with when to use one or the other (I have read that native speakers are absolutely surefooted in this respect), but I have also made a green sheet with the rules of thumb that govern that problem - and the good thing about writing rater than speaking is that you have time to look things up and make corrections - nobody will ever be there to monitor your frantic tribulations, only the result can be seen.

Last time I visited Russia was in March 2009, and back then I knew the alphabet and maybe a few hundred 'tourist' words - something like level A1 or less. I even stopped studying it for a period while I focused on Modern Greek - they interfered because both use a non-Latin alphabet. But since then I have spent a lot of time doing wordlists, and the last wordcount from 2021 says 44% known words from a dictionary with around 35.000 words - i.e. something like 15.400 words plus some guessable or vaguely known ones. I had actually planned to take a trip there, but then corona happened, and because of Putin and his invasion of Ukraine it is now unlikely that I can visit Russia again in the near future (or my lifetime), so I doubt that I'll get my incomplete Russian orally activated anytime soon.

F3611b04 - TV og aftensmad i Vladimir, Rusland.jpg

But luckily there are other Slavic languages where I do have a whisper of a chance.

POL: W porównaniu z rosyjskim, mój język polski jest jest rozklekotane (dla mnie nowe słowo, ale może się przydać!). Ale pracuję w sprawie. Wczoraj wieczorem najpierw skończyłem artykuł o okularach w Polsce z magazynu 'Airgate', a potem stworzyłem słowniczek nowych słów z artykułu - a kiedy je skończyłem, kontynuowałem słowa z grubego zielonego słownika Ponsa, aż lista zawierała około 400 słów. Moje ostatnie obliczenie z 2021 r. z tego słownika mówiło 34%, czyli 15 400 słów - a to za mało do łatwego czytania. Ale umiem pisać w rozklekotaną polszczyzną.

SER: Први словенски језик који сам започео после руског био је српски. Прошао сам кроз српски<>енглески ћирилични речник 2014. да бих проверио да ли је мој метод речника функционисао, и успео је. Пре ове вежбе знао сам цца. трећину речи (или сам могао да их погодим), а после краја сам знао (или могао да погодим) две трећине, цца. 11.000 речи. Али од тада нисам много напредовао јер сам проводио своје време на другим језицима.

SCO: The nou ah'm leukin at a program on Dens televeesion aboot Billy Connally, the faur-kent comedian frae Glesga that gae me the erest inklin o an idea aboot hoe Laeland Scots micht sound. Misfortuinately he didnae aw give me the wirds - ah haed tae lear those frae the one an anely online Scots dictionar (plus twae minky anes on paper).

DA: Og til slut en god nyhed fra Danmark: medlemmer af Dansk ornitologisk forening har nu klistret navne på alle jordens 30.938 fuglearter (det må omfatte underarter, for da jeg sidst arbejdede med ornitologisk nomenklatur, var der 'kun' registreret 10.000-11.000 'ægte' arter). Jeg har kigget på foreningens hjemmeside, men der er såvidt jeg kan se ikke noget link til listen. WesternJutish: Det haj hæjsen worn en guer ide at skryw hvær a ku ha funnen den. (rigsdansk DA:: det havde ellers været en god idé at skrive, hvor jeg kunne have fundet den).
5 x

Return to “Language logs”