Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:38 pm

From the thread "Review of The Percentage of Words Known in a Text and Reading Comprehension":

mentecuerpo wrote:(...)Could you please explain a little bit more about obtaining words from your text readings, not from the dictionary as a source? Do you put short phrases of the text on three columns? I don't think there is enough space when to write the sentences in three columns, so I am wondering how you accomplish this.

No, it's not as complicated as that. I fold a sheet of paper (because it is easier to manipulate then), and then I reserve something like 3 to 4 cm from the right edge for new words by drawing a line. New words go into that column, and I copy the text by hand to the rest of the space. If I fill up the margin before I have filled up the text area then the text is difficult, and I do something more with it - like copying difficult passages or interesting constructions once more, or in rare cases I write a translation myself. When I use a bilingual text I only check the dictionary at this point if I'm doubt the correctness of the translation (which unfortunately happens quite often, even with man-made translations)

I only put very short expressions in the margin since there isn't space for long ones there - sometimes I just underline the long ones with a wawy line in another colour, sometimes I write a hyperliteral translation between parentheses after the passage or I write the relevant passage in another color - there is simply no fixed rule for what I do. And I don't use the three-column wordlist format for memorization of long expressions - sometimes I do nothing (which isn't the smartest thing to do), sometimes I transfer them to a list which I then look through when I'm done with the text in question, but there are also no fixed rules here.

When I then transfer the new words to a wordlist I check the dictionary everywhere where there might be some doubts as to the correctness of the translation or where the grammatical class or gender or whatever isn't totally clear. And then I use the wordlist method just as I would do with words from a dictionary. However as I get better at a certain language the number of unknown words is supposed to fall so with time I get more and more of my new words from a dictionary.

I only stop copying text when I'm so far with a language that I hardly find any new words and I understand how each and every sentence is constructed. For the moment that would be the case for maybe seven or eight languages (Spivak's famous seven!). My main problem at that stage is that I rarely take notes when I'm studying extensively (like watching TV or reading stuff on the internet), so from that point on I'm just hoping that something will stick - like those who claim to learn language just from watching films and reading books.

An example (based on a text in Bulgarian about trilobites):

Trilobitite.jpg

As you can see the number of new words is nicely aligned with the amount of text I have copied, so this text is at just the right level for me at my currrent level. I might be able to read the text and more or less get the main points without copying the whole thing, but then I would skip over all the murky points without even noticing them. When I copy text I have time to think about each sentence and make sure that I understand everything in it, including the grammar.

As you also can see I did include the expression "за разлика от" in the right column (although I forgot one з :oops:). The translation into Danish is "til forskel fra" (literally 'to difference from' in English), and I didn't need a dictionary to figure that out. But that's about the maximal length of expressions that go into the right columns and - consequently - into my wordlists.

I checked a few words before writing the translation, like "пипало" for 'antenna' ('følehorn' in Danish, literally "feeling horn') and "хрылé" for 'gills' (because I wanted to know whether it was used in the singular) - and then I wrote "??" at the word "археолоцият(ите)" because it was translated as "archeologists" by Google translate, and I'm fairly sure that no fossil of any archeologist has ever been found in strata from the Cambrian so it must be something different - or it could just be a spelling error.

x01a-Kambrium.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 am

Iversen wrote:From the thread "Review of The Percentage of Words Known in a Text and Reading Comprehension":

No, it's not as complicated as that. I fold a sheet of paper (because it is easier to manipulate then), and then I reserve something like 3 to 4 cm from the right edge for new words by drawing a line. New words go into that column, and I copy the text by hand to the rest of the space. If I fill up the margin before I have filled up the text area then the text is difficult, and I do something more with it - like copying difficult passages or interesting constructions once more, or in rare cases I write a translation myself. When I use a bilingual text I only check the dictionary at this point if I'm doubt the correctness of the translation (which unfortunately happens quite often, even with man-made translations)

I only put very short expressions in the margin since there isn't space for long ones there - sometimes I just underline the long ones with a wawy line in another colour, sometimes I write a hyperliteral translation between parentheses after the passage or I write the relevant passage in another color - there is simply no fixed rule for what I do. And I don't use the three-column wordlist format for memorization of long expressions - sometimes I do nothing (which isn't the smartest thing to do), sometimes I transfer them to a list which I then look through when I'm done with the text in question, but there are also no fixed rules here.

When I then transfer the new words to a wordlist I check the dictionary everywhere where there might be some doubts as to the correctness of the translation or where the grammatical class or gender or whatever isn't totally clear. And then I use the wordlist method just as I would do with words from a dictionary. However as I get better at a certain language the number of unknown words is supposed to fall so with time I get more and more of my new words from a dictionary.

I only stop copying text when I'm so far with a language that I hardly find any new words and I understand how each and every sentence is constructed. For the moment that would be the case for maybe seven or eight languages (Spivak's famous seven!). My main problem at that stage is that I rarely take notes when I'm studying extensively (like watching TV or reading stuff on the internet), so from that point on I'm just hoping that something will stick - like those who claim to learn language just from watching films and reading books.

An example (based on a text in Bulgarian about trilobites):

Trilobitite.jpg

As you can see the number of new words is nicely aligned with the amount of text I have copied, so this text is at just the right level for me at my currrent level. I might be able to read the text and more or less get the main points without copying the whole thing, but then I would skip over all the murky points without even noticing them. When I copy text I have time to think about each sentence and make sure that I understand everything in it, including the grammar.

As you also can see I did include the expression "за разлика от" in the right column (although I forgot one з :oops:). The translation into Danish is "til forskel fra" (literally 'to difference from' in English), and I didn't need a dictionary to figure that out. But that's about the maximal length of expressions that go into the right columns and - consequently - into my wordlists.

I checked a few words before writing the translation, like "пипало" for 'antenna' ('følehorn' in Danish, literally "feeling horn') and "хрылé" for 'gills' (because I wanted to know whether it was used in the singular) - and then I wrote "??" at the word "археолоцият(ите)" because it was translated as "archeologists" by Google translate, and I'm fairly sure that no fossil of any archeologist has ever been found in strata from the Cambrian so it must be something different - or it could just be a spelling error.

x01a-Kambrium.jpg

The picture helped me to understand the description of your method.
You make many good points here. I will bookmark your blog page for future quotes and references.
I like your approach, and thank you so much for kindly sharing it.
I will ask you questions from time to time.

By the way, I like your drawing of the calm ocean deep with the jelly-fish floating slowly.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:52 am

I have worked my way through the remainder of my Bulgarian printouts (mainly about paleontology) so I'll have to make some new ones. I made a list with GT translations of some Bulgarian expressions (the kind you normally would find in a small language guide), but I don't quite trust it -precisely greetings and other familiar expressions could be translated literally by GT, while the Bulgarians in reality say something completely different.

One reason that I did some work on my Bulgarian was that I went to the language café at the local Dokk1 library yesterday after two weeks of absence, and I had promised a Bulgarian immigrant to try to say something in her language next time I saw her. But she didn't turn up. Two weeks ago I couldn't come because I was on Gran Canaria, and the week after I was visiting my family, but yesterday should have been OK. Except that it turned out that it actually wasn't quite OK: in the designated area there was a group of foreign students who prepared some kind of essay or thesis, and even though they did so in English it was a closed group so they didn't really belong there during the café time. And then there was one young man who studied Chinese. We had almost given up when a third man arrived, and then we ended up speaking in English - but nevertheless an interesting discussion about word order in Chinese and the Chinese writing system. However the third man had to leave soon, and then we called it a day.

Before those two weeks of absence we had regularly had half a dozen or more participants so now it remains to be seen whether we can get back to that level, but I wonder what went wrong. I think such activities are dependent on having at least a few regular participants so that people don't come in vain or pass by and think that there isn't anything going on, and maybe just one or two weeks without any such regulars can kill the whole thing - it seems to be quite fragile.

During the night before I had checked the program of the library and done a search for other 'language cafés', and there I more or less accidentally found out that there had been a major language day on september 26 (as part of some European Union language Day event). It was something about the library having invited speakers of 15 different languages to present their languages and answer questions, and besides the Iliad would be read aloud/shown in an avalanche of languages. I faintly remember an event where a lot of language schools and organizations for foreign workers and students had stands, so it is possible that I witnessed part of the event, but not the part with the 15 representatives - and all that just because I don't check the program of the library in advance. Now I have marked September 26 2020 in my calendar, and then time will tell whether they do something similar next year.

Dokk1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:35 pm

I went to Brazil in Februar and in May-June to the area around Bratislava (a trip booked in the false belief that I were to participate in some kind of local polyglot gathering there), but since then I haven't left Denmark. And that couldn't continue so now I have booked a trip to Southern India, even though I don't speak any of the local languages there. But I will be visiting some of those temples with zillions of brightly coloured gods on them, and the prudent thing is to read a little bit about them. Well, actually most of my time today went with restudying the visa rules (even though I did study them as recently as 2016, where I passed through Delhi to and from Bhutan), but then I proceeded to the mroe entertaining task of reading about those temples and other sights in that part of the world. And lo and behold,..

POR: Comecei a ler sobre o Templo Meenakshi na Wikipedia inglêsa, mas depois quis tentar outra coisa - e verificou-se que havia um artigo longo e detalhado sobre o templo em português. Visto isto, e é lógico que continuei seguindo os links para outros sites em português, ainda que o Ingles fica mais relevante para o pais de India. Más por que tem tanto material em português? Presumivelmente porque Portugal já possuía Goa, até as tropas de Indira Gandhi entraram e terminaram a época. Até a Dinamarca teve uma colônia na Índia, mas alquanto menor - a pequena cidade de Tharangambadi (dinamarquês: Trankebar) - e os danesos vendemos isto para os ingleses em 1845.

As línguas na parte do país que visitarei são dravidianas e, portanto, pertencem a um grupo de línguas completamente diferente do hindi, que é uma língua indo-européia do norte da Índia. As línguas na parte do país que quero visitar são dravidianas e, portanto, pertencem a um grupo de línguas completamente diferente do hindi, que é uma língua indo-européia do norte da Índia. Mas o artigo em português sobre as línguas dravídicas e muito curto, e portanto tive infelizmente que voltar temporariamente ao inglês para saber mais. No entanto, existem na Wikipedia lusofona alguns artigos curtos sobre varias das línguas em português, incluindo malaialam e tâmil - mas no caso de tâmil isso se deve aos refugiados do Sri Lanka, não da Índia.

EN: I noticed one puzzling fact in the English article, namely that "two Dravidian languages are spoken(...) outside the post-1947 state of India: Brahui in the Balochistan region of Pakistan and Afghanistan; and Dhangar, a dialect of Kurukh, in parts of Nepal and Bhutan". This is logically seen as a sign of much larger Dravidian-speaking area in days of yore, which was invaded by Indoeuropean-speaking tribes who basically pushed the Dravidians further and further South. But this places the golden age of the Dravidian languages at least 4000 years back in history - and then I somehow come to wonder why it hasn't yet been possible to confirm that the language spoken in the ancient cities Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa was some kind of early Dravidian.

It is striking how little there has been written about this large, but isolated language group, even though some 225 mio. people speak languages belonging to it. But I'm as guilty as anybody: even though I find the group interesting, I'm definitely not going to study any of the languages in it - not even Tamil in spite of the fact that we have a fair number of Tamil speakers in Denmark which means that we also have books in Tamil in our libraries. I'm too busy with my European languages...

EO: Krom tio: la Esperanto-revuo aperis en mia leterkesto antaŭ du tagoj kaj mi esperas trarigardi ĝin morgaŭ. Kaj tiam mi devas pripensi ĉu mi volas plilongigi mian membrecon de UEA (Internacia Esperanto-Asocio).

Wikipedia-South_Asian_Language_Families.jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Yesterday I revisited the Pompei exhibition at our local archeology museum which I recently mentioned here, this time in the company of two others plus my smallest Latin-something dictionary - a Latin-German thing which is so old that it is written in Fraktur (erroneously called 'Gothic' by some, and 'Gebrochene Schrift' in German). But being in the company of others I didn't have time to look much up, and there was one word that started with "caca.." which I couldn't find in it. I have a suspicion, but it could be false. But of course there were also texts in Danish with an English translation, including the receipe for "garum" - as if anyone needed it (it was a stinking fish oil brew which the Romans for some reason poured in all their food).

I could have written more about this, but then something happened: an invasion of 'winter creatures' from different European cultures. The museum gave a brochure away with details, and it inspired me to look some of them up in the relevant languages, including "Ded Moroz" from Russia and "Turin" and "Gwiazdor" from Poland.

PO: Gwiazdor oznacza 'gwiezdny człowiek' i chodzi z gwiazdą na kołku, zgodnie z broszurą całkowicie pokrytą słomą (Szwedzi zamiast tego mają bożonarodzeniową kozę), ale polska Wikipedia sugeruje, że może to być skóra zwierzęca. W dawnych czasach dawał prezenty tylko dobrym dzieciom i bić złych dzieci swoim kijem, ale później był na kursie ze Świętym Mikulaszem i daje prezenty wszystkim dzieciom, niezależnie od czy na to zasługują.

Turon jest wściekłym i głodnym bykiem, który podążył za Świętim Mikołajem, a broszura mówi że otrzymał prezenty od dzieci - a głupotą jest, że Gwiazdor rozdaje rzeczy, gdy Turon podąża za nimi i zabiera je ponownie. Nakarmić bestię właściwie tak, że nie był głodny, byłoby prostsze... Wikipedia nie wspomina o prezentach, ale sugeruje, że Turon pieprzyl się na podłodze domów i przewrócił się. Nie byłoby edukacyjnych dać prezenty dla takiej istoty. Jednak Turon nie zrobił tego w muzeum, kiedy tam byłem.

DU: Een soortgelijke taakverdeling is ook te vinden in Nederland en Vlaanderen, waar Sinterklaas wordt begeleid door Zwarte Piet (bekend als Knecht Ruprecht in Duitsland)- tenzij het door enige verkeerde buurten niet zijn gepasseerd, omdat Zwarte Piet daar kunnen worden gedood door woedende politieke correcte burgers. Maar dan gebeurt dan misschien iets nog ergers, want in Duitsland en Oostenrijk is het alternatief Krampus, een gehoornd beest dat NOOIT cadeautjes geeft - zelfs niet aan goede kinderen. Of Père Fouettard uit Frankrijk...

SW: Svenskarna har naturligtvis Sankta Lucia och julbocken - om inte någon har bränt den (såsom någon brukar göra vart år). Santa Lucia är en siciliansk invandrare som har fått ett fast jobb i Sverige som processionschef.

F6006a10_Gwiazdor.jpg
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 am

BU: Прекарал съм част от вечерта в гледане на телевизия, но тогава повече гледам - и най-вече слушам - български видеоклипове в интернет. Намерих доставчик със списъци (в произволен ред) на неща като информация за Земята и праисторически животни - а не и динозаври. Изображението по-долу изобразява страничният собственик с Phorusrhacos (Форусракос), месоядна птица висока три метра от Южна Америка. Най-близкият му роднина днес е сериемата. И след това намерих час и половина от National Geographic, но говорен на български, за планетите на Слънчевата система. Не разбирам всичко, но ми помага, че има снимки и добре известни имена.

The-Clashers_Phorusrhacos.jpg

F2315a0x_seriema.jpg

EO: Pli frue hodiaŭ mi legis la lastajn du numerojn de la revuo Esperanto, sed tiam mi ekdormis - kaj mi vekiĝis el sonĝo, kiu iomete rilatis al lingvoj. Mi ne memoras la komencon rekte, sed tiam trovis promenante en placo de iu urbo. Kaj tiam mi aŭdis iun krii mian nomon. Maldekstre estis konstruaĵo, kie mi sciis ke estis biblioteko en la unua etaĝo, kaj mi ankaŭ sciis ke mi pli frua estis supre. Sed direkte al la placo estis ia budo kie sidis tri viroj kaj unu virino - kaj devis esti unu el ili, kiu min alvokis. Tamen kiam mi alvenis mi ne konis iun ajn el ili kaj neniu diris ion, nur min rigardis atente. Mi nun vidis signon super la budo kun multaj vortoj en diversaj cirilaj alfabetoj, sed sin kohereco. Kaj nun mi demandis ilin en Esperanto "Ĉu vi vokis min?" - tio devas esti pro mia legado de la revuo, ĉar mi ne kutime sonĝas en Esperanto. Poste venis forgesita pasejo, sed post tio 'paŭzo' estis pluraj homoj, kaj dekstre nun etendis longan tablon kie iuj homoj sidis kaj diskutis en Esperanto - mi povis aŭdi kelkajn vortojn, sed ne kaptis la ligon. Kaj tiam mi vekiĝis.

EN: ...and speaking about dreams: this morgen I woke up from a dream where I came from the lower floor of a university building and now I somehow found myself walking on a gravel road with a lake and a few sheds to my left and a row of tree houses with small workshops to the right (and a hill behind them). I noticed that I saw the gravel very clearly and then explicitly thought that it was amazing how many details I could see in my dream. And since I now knew that it was a dream I started to fill the workshops with craftsmen - or in other words: if I couldn't already see one then I summoned one by magic, and then it was as if they always had been there. And I also changed some of the goods they sold or made. I woke up in the middle of this.

Such a dream is called 'lucid', and it must have been at a fairly high level since I actively changed the content of the dream. But unfortunately it didn't occur to me to speak to any of the people in the shops - actually I don't speak much in my dreams. I'm more likely just to walk around and look at things.

SP: .. y luego una ultima actividad lingüistica más: alrededor de la medianoche vi uno programa en español en TVE sobre el pintor holandés Hieronymus Bosch ('Bosco' en español). ¡Ese hombre también habra tenido sueños interesantes!

Bosco.jpg
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Yesterday's language café was almost as miserable as the one last week: 4 persons (including me), and we ended up speaking in English. And now Christmas and New Year and all sorts of other disturbances are drawing nigh and the prospects of growth will wither away again.

I continue to have detailed ambulating dreams - maybe because I have finished revising my music collection and permitted myself to sleep longer. This morning I woke up from a dream where I was walking around on a path somewhere in South America, and then I came to some kind of ruined Inca fortress, where I lost the contact to my fellow wanderers. I came out on the other side to a normal road and a village with nice mountain views, but then remembered that I had left the other ambulators behind and I went back. Here I noticed that that it was a nice feature of the dream that I found the same stairs and corridors and rooms as I did earlier in the dream but I didn't see anybody in them. Then I 'found' a door to some kind of cylindrical starway with rotating red metal rails and an open space in the middle, and I used this to descend to a lower level. Here the funny thing happened: I received a call on my mobil phone from an angry voice that asked in Danish why I had left the group behind, and I answered in Spanish - something about being in Inca territory, but I added that I intended to return to the route later.. and then I woke up. But I took a nap later, and there I came out from the railway station in some minor German town. I read the list of departing trains and noticed several departures for Frankfurt am Main - and then I walked out into the town.

While I still worked on improving my music collection and also tried to do something about my languages, I regularly cut my sleeping time down to 4-5 hours. Now I do some 6-7 hours and sometimes add a nap, and my dreams have becoming much more detailed and memorable, and as the summaries show passages in other languages have started to pop up. So it definitely pays to sleep a little longer ...

Kunst175.JPG
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Yesterday I watched no less than three TV programs about artificial intelligence and related areas of future technology. Two of them were shown on Danish TV, but as usual with the original sound plus subtitles - and since one of these was a Spanish program I listened to a short section of it. Most of the speech was in English, but I did catch an interview in Catalan - and it isn't too often I hear anything spoken in this language! So...

CAT: Entre altres coses, vam encontrar una vegada més l’home amb l’antena a la part posterior del seu cap (el mateix que vaig esmentar en aquest fil). Va explicar aquí que el seu gadget també pot agafar missatges d’internet i això ho puc entendre. El que no aconsegueixo entendre és com aquest home-cyborg percep que la seva antena ha capturat un senyal i que l’ha transmès per fil elèctric en el seu cervell. Si el cervell percep que entra arriba un senyal, inicialment el senyal apareixerà caòtic, però llavors el cervell intentarà trobar un patró. Si té èxit, tenim una impressió sensorial d'un tipus nou. Però si el cervell no aconsegueix trobar ningù sistem, és probable que depreciarà el canal d'entrada com a irremeiablement deficient. El gadget més reeixit d’aquest tipus s’anomena “implanta coclear” i já ara esta és una tecnologia coneguda i provada. Però aquí els senyals s’envien a l’orella interna, i llavors el senyal entra al cervell a través dels nervis. Això no és tan difícil d’entendre - el senyal entra almenys en el cervell per un sistem conegut. El que és realment excitant és quina cosa passa en la minùscula zona on un filferro elèctric encontra un sistema biològic basat en neurones, i cap dels programes de televisió va explicar això.

AF: My goeienag-lees gisteraand was 'n brosjure "Namibië" uit die nationale Namibiese toeristiese inligting wat ek in die tydskrif "Weg" gevind het wat ek in 2006 gekoop het terwyl my enigste reis deur hierdie land - en wat ek gister toevallig gevind het toe ek deur my stapel van Nederlandse wetenskaplike tydskrifte van my reise deursoekte. Ek het in 2006 Windhoek, Etosha, Vingerklip en Swakopmung besoek en ook in 'n klein vliegtuig oor Sossuvlei gevlieg. Hierdie plekke word genoem, maar die tydskrif vertel ook baie oor Kaokoland in die noorde, waar ek nog nooit was nie. My Afrikaans was 'n bietjie rustiger as wat ek verwag het, maar ek kon die tydskrif lees sonder 'n woordeboek te gebruik.

Kunst098-udsnit.jpg
1 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Iversen wrote:El gadget més reeixit d’aquest tipus s’anomena “implanta coclear” i já ara esta és una tecnologia coneguda i provada. Però aquí els senyals s’envien a l’orella interna, i llavors el senyal entra al cervell a través dels nervis. Això no és tan difícil d’entendre - el senyal entra almenys en el cervell per un sistem conegut. El que és realment excitant és quina cosa passa en la minùscula zona on un filferro elèctric encontra un sistema biològic basat en neurones, i cap dels programes de televisió va explicar això.

Muy interesante, cómo es que un estímulo eléctrico interactua con un tejido biológico.
Fascinating observation. How two different systems can interact; The electrical chips with the biological brain cell network. They are providing a meaningful brain translation into the sublime mind. (La mente, que un derivado psíquico de la estructura biologica, el cerebro).
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:55 pm

My mother has got an Astra parabola, and for years I could watch at least some 40-50 programs, including some in other languages than German (like Spanish, Portuguese, Italians, French, Belarusian and Flemish). But for some reson the performance of this system has degraded systematically through the years. First it became a problem to watch some channels during the summer (which I blamed on growing foliage in the surroundings), then it became ALL channels that were inaccessible during summer. Then the providers scrapped the analogue channels, leaving only their more 'fragile' digital versions - I had to give up a lot of channels on that account. And the last couple of years it has been almost impossible to get a any kind of signal through, but last time I visited her I did a test and got some scrambled junk, and when I revisited her this weekend I got a clear signal from at least the main regional senders in Germany (which presumably are located on the best one of the five or six in the Astra satellite group). It seems that to get a clear signal it has to be icy cold, clear skies, no leafy trees beetween the dish and the satellites and no rain clouds.

A new and updated system might prove more efficient, but my mother mostly watches programs from her cable provider so I can't expect her to invest in a new satellite receiver. Which means that I have to limit my expectations, which is a pity since there is a lot of good programming on the free German channels, and only a fraction of it can be obtained through the lousy Danish cable providers. Btw: the bosses of my own lousy cable provider have initiated a fight with the company behind the Discovery channel, which means that from New Year I lose some of my least worthless documentary channels, including Science and Animal, and instead they try to force the customers to sign up for some totally brainless junk channels. I hate them, and the day where I quit ordinary TV has drawn considerably nearer..

GER: Ich habe kürzlich über das süddeutsche Monster Krampus geschrieben, daher war es ziemlich unerwartet, daß schon das erste Programm, das ich durch Astra gesehen habe, eine Sendung im Bayrischen Rundfunk (BR) über seltsame Weihnachtsbräuche in Bayern war, und es scheint tatsächlich, daß die Leute im Berchtesgadener Thal die Angewohnheit haben, sich als Krampus und Co. zu verkleiden und dem heiligen Nikolaus zu folgen auf einer bizarren Pilgerreise durch die Höfe des Tals, wo sie Alkohol trinken und und sich dabei amüsieren die kleinen Kinder zu erschrecken. Im Programm wurde ein bissel Dialekt gesprochen, jedoch mit Untertiteln auf Hochdeutsch.

Danach schaute ich etliche Stunden Eisenbahnromantik aus Deutschland, Schweiz und Österreich, und das Lustige an dieser Sendung war, daß ich tatsächlich viele der gezeigten Strecken selber gefahren bin. Ich war einmal auf einer Zugreise in der Schweiz und verbrachte dabei auch ein paar Nächte in Liechtenstein, wo es anfing stark zu schneien. Dann habe ich Basel, Bern und Genf kurzerhand aus meinem Programm gestrichen und bin stattdessen hin und her in kleinen roten Zügen durch Graubünden gefahren. Während der Sendung wurde übrigens ganz viel Dialekt gesprochen, wenn auch nicht in ihren extremen Formen - ich konnte alles verstehen. Ich hätte aber lieber etwas mehr 'hardcore' Dialekt gehört, auch wenn ich dann nicht alles verstünde...

Heute habe ich etwa eine Stunde Fernsehen aus der Ostseeküste in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern gesehen, und natürlich war ich auch dort, aber meistens an Land. Von Gedser in Dänemark gibt es eine moribunden Fährverbindung nach Travemünde/ Rostock, mit der ich schon in der DDR-Zeit und nochmals im Jahre 2008 gefahren bin, aber ich reise lieber mit dem Zug als mit dem Schiff. Leider mußte ich die Show vorzeitig verlassen wegen meiner Zugreise nach Hause, aber meine Mutter war mit dem Funde ganz zufrieden - sie mag nähmlich Boote mehr als Züge.

BR_Nicolaus und Krampus.jpg

F2607b03_Rhätische-Bahn_Chur.jpg
5 x

Return to “Language logs”