Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:59 pm

I have once again visited my mothers place, and I spent more time on her garden than on languages. I/we did watch programs in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German and English, but that hardly counts as language learning - rather more as consolidating. I did however bring along a set of texts in Latin about the time from the departure of the Romans to the Anglo-Saxon takeover and beyond. The texts in questions were written by respectively St.Gildas (around 500 to around 570), wrote the vehement lament "De Excidio et Conquestu Britanniae", and the venerable Bede (672 or 673 to 735), who wrote the more systematic "Ecclesiastical History of the English People".

I have watched a couple of TV programs (in English) that were relevant for this period. Several months ago I watched a program about the 'vanished legion', which mentioned a defensive wall more to the North (Glasgow tae Edinburrrae) than the celebrated Hadrian's wall near Newcastle, and {SCO] aw hinted that a hale Roman legion had been felled by the fell Scots and/or Picts in ane fell swoop (as when Herman butchered three legions in Germany), and that the anely reeson that we didnae get tauld that in school is that the Roman historians didnae like tae tell the story. So the Romans reteered back Sooth, by whiles buildin the Antonine Wall just for fun, but leavin it aback.

Howiver ah now have seen anither documentery program that mooted that an airmy unner Julius Agricola during the ring o emperor Titus Aelius Aurelius Caesar Antoninus ('Antoninus Pius') shuirtly occupied the hale o Scotland, but reteered acause that the later emperor Domitian was envious of his braw general and muived his troups aff tae the continent - whit isnae likely. Domitian wad semply hae murthered the man and kept his spulyies. Mebbe the Scots and Picts semply just warna nice tae their unbidden veesitors and didnae stop tae play that damned staund o pipes.

LAT: Gildas indicat incolas britanniae de scotis pictisque graviter sollicitatos esse et legatos ad romanes mitterunt, rogantes excercitum romanum rursus revertandi ut gentibus transmariniis colaphum durum duceret. Et mehercle romani revertaverunt, scotes pictesque colaphum ducerunt, postea insulam britanniam reliquerunt. Scots ac pictes mox reverterunt et terram britanniarum occabant, et isti rursus legatos Romam miserunt excercitum romanum rogantes revertandi. Sed nunc romani responderunt (dixit Gildas) ut "nequatuam se tam laboriosis expeditionibus posse frequentius uexari et ob imbelles erraticosque latrunculos romana stigmata, tantum talemque exercitum, terra ac mari fatigari (...) et [britanni] nequaquam sibi fortioribus, nisi segnitia et torpore dissolueretur, inermes (..) sed instructas peltis ensibus hastis et ad caedam promptas protenderet manus (...)". Aliter dictu, tacite et discite pugnare ...

EN: By the way, I have also seen a program about the discovery of the famous Sutton Hoo burial. It was found in the backyard of an elderly lady, who then summoned the local amateur archeologist who with the help of her gardener and one more employee (her chauffeur?) excavated a splendid ship burial which contained some amazing treasures. The burial dated to the 'dark period' from the Anglosaxon takeover to the first furious howlings by people like St. Gildas (Beowulf came later), but alas, my Anglosaxon is somewhat rusty so I have to leave the rest of the story untold.

Roman_walls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:49 am

Iversen wrote:Howiver ah now have seen anither documentery program that mooted that an airmy unner Julius Agricola during the ring o emperor Titus Aelius Aurelius Caesar Antoninus ('Antoninus Pius') shuirtly occupied the hale o Scotland, but reteered acause that the later emperor Domitian was envious of his braw general and muived his troups aff tae the continent - whit isnae likely. Domitian wad semply hae murthered the man and kept his spulyies. Mebbe the Scots and Picts semply just warna nice tae their unbidden veesitors and didnae stop tae play that damned staund o pipes.
I vaguely remember a documentary about Roman Scotland saying that the Romans couldn't justify military occupation of Scotland, because there wasn't the tax base to pay the legionnaires, and the Romans weren't big on subsidies. :-)

I recently watched a documentary about a Danish barrow excavation, Das Mädchen von Egtved.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:09 pm

The Egtved girl ('Egtvedpigen') is a very interesting find because her clothes were almost completely preserved, in contrast to her body. The suit consisted of a blouse and a skirt made of cords - i.e. if she danced the spectators would have been able to admire her nether parts - and precisely for that reason it has been speculated that she actually had been a professional dancer at fertility rites of some kind. Another interesting thing is that her strontium isotope rates suggest that she came from abroad - the Rhineland is one possibility, but the discussions still continue. Unfortunately we aren't expecting new finds of this kind soon - most were done during commercial peat digging, and that practice has practically stopped. On the other hand amateur archeologists armed with metal detectors are finding so many metal objects these days that the professional staff at the museums hardly have time to evaluate the finds. And occasionally they also find larger structures, in some cases using drones. The last example of this kind I know of is a gigantic circular fortress of some kind from the Neolitic period, probably preceding the famous Stonehenge in England, but in building style more likely a Danish parallel to the almost unknown Woodhenge there. It was found on the island of Falster, which is close to the German coast so it may have been a defensive structure, built by local farmers under the direction of a strong local ruler.

IT: Oggi, tra l'altro, ho visto e talvolta anche ascoltato una serie di trasmissioni su RaiUno italiana. Purtroppo ho scoperto Passagio all'Oveste troppo tarde e perciò ne ho visto solo la fine, ma poi sono seguite diverse programmi del tipo Linea Blu/Verde, dove si visitano vari luoghi d'Italia. Oggi è stata soprattutto Venezia ad essere sotto i riflettori, e qui il giornalista ha visitato un ristorante estremamente favorevole ai cani. C'era persino un menu speciale per i cani, e il giornalista si è divertito a gran voce che c'era un piatto speciale per i cani vegani - ma non ci sono molti cani vegani. Il cane personale del proprietario preferiva mangiare la bistecca di Angus. Inoltre, ci trovavamo all'interno di un Palazzo Donà-Qualcosa. attualmente in restauro, per cui si poteva avere una visione particolarmente buona dei metodi di costruzione dei palazzi veneziani. Il maggior problema con questa serie è che di solito c'è la musica di sottofondo, e di solito ella è insopportabile, dunque sebbene mi piacerebbe sentire un po' di italiano, spesso finisco con i sottotitoli alla pagina 777 del televideo.

Kunst024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 pm

I haven't studied much this weekend, but of course watched TV and surfed in a couple of languages. My goodnight reading yesterday was the latest issue of the magazine "Esperanto" (from UEA, the Universal Esperanto Association), which isn't the most inspiring thing in the world. And this issue was even more boring than usual because it mostly told about organizational matters, with a list of activities during the past year in different sections and countries. The good thing is that I can read the stuff without looking words up (and you sleep well after reading it) so all in all it is eminently suitable for goodnight reading.

EO: La plej interesa (laŭ mia perspektivo) estis mencio de la versio de Vikipedio en Esperanto. Oni atendas, ke ĝi pasos 300 000 artikolojn dum la venonta Universala Kongreso en Belfasto (kiu ĉefe fariĝos virtuala por la dua jaro sinsekve). Vikipedio precipe gravas por lingvoj kiel Esperanto, kie estas problemega trovi legeblindan nefikcian materialon, do mi lernas multon de mia Esperanto tie.

SP: En este momento estoy escuchando el Telediaro de TVE en Español. Todos los mayores de 16 años en la isla canaria más pequeña (Hierro ) ahora están vacunados, pero hay un brote en Catalunya, Chipre está en llamas y se va a celebrar un festival de música en algún lugar - y los españoles pueden ahora correr por las calles y carreteras sin máscara, pero no ir a eventos al interior sin ella. Desde Dinamarca se podría en principio ya viajar allí ahora, pero yo esperaré hasta más tarde. Después de mis dos vacunas no temo infectarme personalmente, pero temo cierres sin aviso previo causadas por una explosión del covid (agravada por fiestas de fútbol). Y en este momento hay un informe extenso sobre las falsificaciones de pasaportes de corona. Sería extremadamente inesperado si este problema no surgiería, y cada vez significa más control y procedimientos más complicados para los usuarios honestos.

Pocas caretas en las calles.jpg
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Long time no see (well, at least five days, and for me that's a long time). I have been on a small trip first to the island Fyn, where a new Hans Christian Andersen House has been opened last week - but you can only visit it by previous reservation/ticket purchase, and my equipment isn't up to the task so I didn't visit it. The explanation in such cases is that during covid there is a limit over the number of visitors inside at any one time, and for a new place that may be justified. But generally our museums and zoos and aquarium lament that they have too few visitors so the risk is in almost all cases minimal - so why turn away potential customers?

After one night in Odense I went to Western Jutland, and this gave me a reason to irritate you with a rant in a language (or dialect) which gives even Google Translate can't digest - so I have added not only a translation into Danish, but also one into English. And since one of my hotels offered a totally overwhelming number of TV channels, partly from countries that aren't currently covered by any of the standard cable providers - I consequently ended up watching Greek TV for almost three hours in a row, followed by Portuguese, Romanian and Dutch (and a few others) in that order. I take this as a lame excuse for explaining my reaction to this plethora of listening and reading opportunities in Greek instead of English.

JYSK: Godaw do. A hå wåt på en lill ujflugt te West Jylland, frå Esbjerg å op'asens te Thyborøn. Å a tøws te a te det kun wær skæg å skryw nowe å mi æjn lill uskyldi variant af Jysk - men a taler ded ikk sjæl, sælom a lewed i Ringkøbing mæ mi familj dengan te a lært å taal. A startet æ tur å Fyen, men kjørt så mæ æ tok te Esbjerg for å se på Fimus, en fiskerimuseum mæ akvarium plus sælarium - og te den wå lewngjort: da vå håntværker som man ku spørr om ting og sawer, og a snakket mæ jæn a dæm om den tvivlsomm fremti for en dialekt som Westjysk. De ååång snakker kuns standard dansk å engels, pånær noen få standhafti noen som snakker te som det a passer dem.

Der wå oss en normal museum i æ by, men det viist kun tre udstillinger om besættelsen 1940-45 - å det gaj a fame ett se på -så a to æ tok te den gammel by Riw (Ribe), hvor a besøkt æ domkirk mæ det tastatur som æ komponist Rued Langgard spellet å, da te a han wår drawn i landflyktihed fra Kjøwenhavn. Å senere besøkt a en akvarium og en søkrigsmuseum i Thyborøn. Søkrig? Jow, te a Jyllandsslawet mellem England å Tyskland under den føst wernskri fandt sted så tæt å Jylland te a Westjyderne ku høør æ kanoner buller. Å så besøkt A Holstebro, hwor æ museum hår en uustelling om draacher å anner slaws faweldyr (uden te å nævn Tolkien eller Rawling). Å nu æ a hiæm for en kort bemærkning.

Kunst103.JPG

DA: Goddag (du). Jeg har været på en lille udflugt til Vestjylland, fra Esbjerg opad til Thyborøn. Og jeg synes at det kunne være skægt at skrive noget på min egen uskyldige variant af Jysk - men jeg taler det ikke selv, selvom jeg levede i Ringkøbing med min familie dengang jeg lærte at tale. Jeg startede turen på Fyn, men kørte så med toget til Esbjerg for at se Fimus, et fiskerimuseum med akvarium plus sælarium - og det var levendegjort: der var håndværkere som man kunne spørge om ting og sager, og jeg snakkede med en af dem om den tvivlsomme fremtid for en dialekt som vestjysk. De unge taler kun standard dansk og engelsk, pånær nogle få standhaftige nogle som snakker som det passer dem.
Der var også et normalt museum i byen, men det viste kun tre udstillinger om besættelsen 1940-45 - og det gad jeg *** ikke se på - så jeg tog toget til den gamle by Ribe, hvor jeg besøgte domkirken med det tastatur som komponisten Rued Langgard spillede på, da han var draget i landflygtighed fra København. Og senere besøgte jeg et akvarium og et søkrigsmuseum i Thyborøn. Søkrig? Jo, ved det at Jyllandsslaget mellem England og Tyskland under den førate verdenskrig fandt sted så tæt på Jylland at vestjyderne kunne høre kanonerne buldre. Jeg besøgte også Holstebro, hvor museet har en udstilling om dager og andre slags fabeldyr (uden at nævne Tolkien eller Rawling). Og nu er jeg hjemme for en kort bemærkning.

Rued_Langgaard_doks-dk.jpg

EN: Hello (you). I have been on a small excursion to Western Jutland, from Esbjerg up to Thyborøn. And I think it might be fun to write something on my own innocent variant of Jutish - but I do not speak that language myself, even though I lived in Ringkøbing with my family while I learned to speak. I started the trip on Fyn, but then went by train to Esbjerg to see Fimus, a fishing museum with aquarium plus sealarium - and it was brought to life: there were craftsmen whom you could ask about all kind of things, and I talked to one of them about the dubious future of a dialect like Western Jutish. The young people of today only speak standard Danish and English, except for a few stubborn ones who speak as they please.

There was also a normal museum in the city, but it only showed three exhibitions about the occupation 1940-45 - and I did not want to look at that so I went to the old town of Ribe, where I visited the cathedral with the very same keyboard which the composer Rued Langgard played on while he was in exile from Copenhagen. And later I visited an aquarium and a naval museum in Thyborøn. Naval warfare? Yes, the Battle of Jutland between England and Germany during the First World War took place so close to Jutland that the Western Jutes could hear the cannons thunder. I also visited Holstebro, where the museum has an exhibition about dragons and other fabulous animals (without mentioning neither Tolkien nor Rawling. And now I'm back home for at short while

Kunst190.JPG

GR: Δεν καταλαβαίνω πώς θα μπορούσε το αναφερόμενο ξενοδοχείο να εμφανίζει ελληνικά τηλεοπτικά κανάλια που δεν μπορούν να παρέχουν οι Δανοί διανομείς - γι 'αυτό πρέπει να είναι κάτι στο διαδίκτυο. Αλλά όπως αναφέρθηκε, παρακολούθησα την ελληνική τηλεόραση για τρεις ώρες, μερικές φορές με ήχο, αλλά κυρίως με υπότιτλους (και χωρίς το ήχο στα αγγλικά), και πρέπει να παραδεχτώ ότι συχνά δεν είχα χρόνο να διαβάσω τους υπότιτλους, αλλά οι λέξεις ήταν επί το πλείστον γνωστές ή πιθανούς να μαντέψω. Το καλό πράγμα για τους υπότιτλους είναι ότι αναγκάζεστε να διαβάζετε γρήγορα, και να μην ασχολείστε με τις λέξεις.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 pm

And once again I have to admit that too long time has passed since last backup. I have been travelling around on a travel pass that for 399 DKK (some 53 €) gives people 8 days of free travel on all public transport in Denmark (apart from ferries, but there are special offers on those). Last Thursday I made a short touch down at my on homely abode where my old PC is located, but while I was on the road during the second half I got a cry of acute distress from my aging mother: her blackcurrants were close to getting ripe, and somebody had to pick them off the bushes. So I added a few days to my trip to collect some 5 kilos of blackcurrants (AND make jam of some of them), but that also precluded me from getting home to update this log thread. And next week the red currents will be ready. Gosh.. that will call for another salvage operation.

By the way: I now own a 'smart'phone, but I still haven't become friends with it. I guess I could access Llorg from that kind of gizmo, but I can't see myself logging on and on and each time the site decided to kick me out, so ...

Well, I'm back, and I have only seen TV in languages I already knew - actually I know most of them so well that I silently translate the subtitles back into the original language while reading them (I mostly watch TV without sound). I didn't run into another hotel with weird TV stations, but for instance I watched a program about the Russian space program where the Russians actually where allowed to speak their language, so this was one language I couldn't translate back into the original at speed - but English, Swedish, German etc., that's doable. So for once I actually listened to the sound from the TV - what a weird experience!

During my trip I had a couple of dreams in non-Danish languages. English isn't too rare, but this morning I woke up to a dream where I continually composed sentences in Greek to be used at the persons of the dream - but as far as I remember I never got a chance to use any of those sentences. Which doesn't bode well for possible attempts to add Greek to my list of languages that have been tested during monolingual voyages. If I can't even get the persons in my dreams to behave, what then about real people in a foreign country?

But now I'm home again, and I have spent one full day selecting and ordering my photos - some 180 photos from the original 460, but I still haven't written the accompanying travelogue sequences. Tomorrow I'll have to leave my flat to stock up on food, but I do count on finding time to refuel my language studies. By the way, there are still some of those travel passes for sale, but covid is again on the rise here because of braindead drunk youngsters and sports afficionados, so I risk that the authorities close down the cultural institutions where people aren't infected - but the powers that be have already found out that they can safely use the cultural institutions as scapegoats without getting a revolution, and with closed museums and zoos it would be pointless to travel around. Which also is my main reason now for not travelling abroad now ...

Maybe I'll paint another painting to kill time, now that I have functional equipment for that activity.

Kunst003.JPG
7 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Iversen wrote:By the way: I now own a 'smart'phone, but I still haven't become friends with it. I guess I could access Llorg from that kind of gizmo, but I can't see myself logging on and on and each time the site decided to kick me out, so ...

You could install dictionaries on it. That's very practical to have.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:23 am

I could, but it wouldn't solve the problem with Llorg access. At home (where I'm sitting on a mountain of paper dictionaries) I now write my messages in the MS Word file where I also store my own contributions and direct answers to them, and then I transfer them to Llorg and add pictures there. But even so I experience the being-kicked-out-and-having-to-solve-a-riddle syndrome, and that means that I have to be able to do each operation at lightening speed - and I'm anything but fast when I have to tip in something on my 'smart'phone. And I still think that its user friendliness is a myth - at least when it is delivered without a printed manual. So far I have several Google applications (apps) and the telephone function on it, but the only thing I have added since day one is a program called rejseplanen.dk, which I definitely need for my travels - especially East of Storebælt in Denmark, where they have signs telling people that there will be three busses between 9:00 and 16:00 - but not when they arrive. Which disproves the hypothesis that you need a certain amount of brain power be employed as a high ranking employee in public service offices. On the other hand I don't trust my phone enough to tell it my bank account numbers or passwords, so I can't buy things - which sometimes is annoying, but also saves me a lot of money.
4 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 am

Iversen wrote:I could, but it wouldn't solve the problem with Llorg access. I experience the being-kicked-out-and-having-to-solve-a-riddle syndrome.

I've buckled and started selecting the "keep me logged in" checkbox. Since then, I haven't lost a post because the site signed me out while I was composing it. It's also convenient.

Saving your posts and composing them off to the side is sensible when you're creating real content like you do.

I keep my smartphone at a distance though, so I'm with you on that. I feel guilty enough about visiting Llorg as frequently as I do, but it's enjoyable.
1 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:06 pm

I don't read Llorg on my phone either, and posting anything longer than a few words would be a nightmare.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”