Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Vedun » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Iversen wrote:Yesterday I watched a TV program about people with weird faculties, and the phenomenon of tetrachromatics was named. It refers to an extremely small number of women who have four kinds of colour receptors (tap cells) in their eyes, which would allow them to see many more color nuances than ordinary people. Why only women? Well, the clue is that they have male relatives with color viewing deficiencies. This is caused by a mutatation in their one and only X chromosome. However a woman with two X chromosome may have one deficient X chromosome and another which is normal - and then she has four different kinds of taps. There is a test on the internet which claims to test for this condition, but it is a total fraud. You need some specialized screens to show the relevant test. Forget about it. I did however take another test called the Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test, and you can take it for free at a site called Colormunki. You move small squares around so that they form four continuous rows of hues. I got 0 errors, which isn't unheard of, but a reassurance that the colors on my paintings aren't caused by faulty color perception. But some paintings are. The great Monet got his eye lenses removed late in late due to cataract, and the glass lenses he got instead didn't shut out the ultra violet light. The funny thing is that we should in principle be able to see ultraviolet, but our eye lenses block that colour. So when Monet had his operation he must have experienced a change in his color perception, and some art historians have claimed that they can see the difference in the choice of color on his last paintings. Well...

Today I have been watching the equally great Attenborough tell about paleontological marvels. He started out with the Ediacaran fauna from around 635.000.000–542.000.000 BC(which I have mentioned several times before). Please allow me to digress: In the otherwise reasonable trustworthy QI quiz on BBC this period was mentioned, and then poor gullible Sandy Toksvig quoted the crap information from her elves that the first great extinction on the Earth happened when sea anemonae popped up and ate the whole bunch (illustrated by the flat and blind and defenseless Dickinsonia to the left below). Bahh...

Actually there would almost certainly have been been an extinction already due to the preceding Snowball Earth episode (and, yes I have also written about that - after reading about it in a long article in Russian), but the soft critters that may have predeced that event are hard to trace in the fossil record. However the main point is that the sea anemonae almost certainly didn't eat the rest of the Ediacarans. But there was at least one ghastly predator around, the Anomalocharis, and the supposition is that the appearance of predators forced the prey animals to acquire armour and better senses. And that's where we enter the next phase with the trilobites at the onset of the Cambrian ... and they had not only armoured tripartite shields, but the most amazing variation of silicate eyes you could imagine. Everything alive since then has made eyes of soft tissue (even insects and spiders), but not the trilobites. You can find a whole article about trilobite eyes here, including photo nr. 4 below. I took a photo (no. 3) from the TV screen of one trilobite found in Morocco and supposedly at view in a museum in a Moroccan town called Erfut (?) - I have to go there sometime! - but unfortunately this animal is more in the funny spikes department, not so much in the clever eyes section.

There is only one snag with all of the above, namely that the information was given in English, so I haven't really studied other languages since yesterday. But on the notestand beside my soft chair I have an article about chocolate in Albanian and another about the chaotic period after the death of Sigurd Jorsalafar in Old Norse, so later today I'll make amends for my temporarily restricted linguistic horizon.

Eyes(or-no-eyes).jpg

The Ediacaran is fascinating! I wish there was more media out there about it. What's more, there are some hints that multicellular life had existed more than one billion years before the Ediacaran - shortly after the Oxygen catastrophe. Speaking of which, it (the oxygen catastrophe) was the first great extinction event, so the total major extinction are in fact 7, not six.
But yes, one of the hypotheses why Ediacaran biota went extinct was that it was immobile and defenceless to the newly emerged mobile predators.

Tetrachromatic vision is also interesting. We are one of the few mammals that can see in three colors, several New World monkeys being the others (I think, there might be a few more also). All other mammals see in just two colors, so seeing in four colors puts you in the, dunno, the 0.00001th percentile? Regarding mammals anyway, since all birds and lizards see in four colors. Given that birds of paradise are already so colorful, imagine how they see themselves with the extra base color they perceive!
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 pm

My message from September 22 was written in Gatwick airport, just before leaving for the three Guianas through Trinidad, and I returned around 2 AM this morning. Right now I'm organizing my photographs, and that will take most of a day to do that. The trip was not entirely succesful: the local organizer was a disorganized bungler, and the person he had hired to drive us around in Guiane Française was not only totally devoid of geographical sense, but he also stole the money which should have been paid to our hotel there so we had to pay the rooms ourselves. We will eventually get that money back through the agency, but it is nevertheless an irritating situation. It was also irritating what the group turned out to consist of two persons only, and the other guy expected me to talk English whenever he was present - and unfortunately he was present too much of the time. Otherwise I could have spoken only English in Guyana (and Spanish with the group that went to the Kaietur Falls there with us), Dutch and nothing but Dutch in Suriname and and absolutely nothing but French in French Guyana.

I'll write more about the trip and the places we visited later, but for now I'll just mention that precisely while we were in Kourou in French Guyana the local space center launched an Ariane rocket, and the consequence of this was that we couldn't visit it - not even the museum within the compound. Instead we had the opportunity to watch the launch for free from the beach in Kourou, only around 100 meters from our hotel. The distance to the launch site is 20 km, but during the first half minut or so the light from the rocket lit up the whole beach. However the picture below shows the first glimpse we got of the blaze while the beach still was pitch black.

The Wikipedia article mentioned by Vedun above describes the Francevillian biota, which unfortunately has remained even more of a secret than the Edicarian one. The article mentions that they lived around 2.1 billion years ago during a period where the oxygen level suddenly went up. When it fell again they disappeared completely. It is assumed that they were multicellular. but possibly completely unrelated to any later kind of multicellular fauna. As I mentioned in my message from Sept. 5 (in the Dutch section) I have watched a TV program about experiments aiming at creating artificial life forms, and one experiment showed that you can 'train' monocellular organisms to form quasi-multicellular structures like Volvox, and these can then develope into structures with division of labour, which means that they have become truly multicellular.

Kourou.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am

I did bring along some language oriented materials during the trip, and I can't say that I didn't do anything with them. For instance I had brought a couple of the tiny Assimil and Kauderwelsch booklets along with me, and I even did some Albanian wordlists using words from Assimil, but in general I didn't do much formal study. If I take the train + bus to my mother's place I don't need to look out of the windows all the time since I already have seen the landscape and the towns lots of times. However we spent a lot of time on the road during the trip to the Guianas, and there I got seriously distracted by the surroundings since they were new to me (and I had paid a lot of money the be there!). And in the evenings I was tired from the proceedings of the day, or I had to waste time on going out to eat with my Danish/English- speaking travel companion.

Guyana (the country to the left) is English speaking, but as I mentioned ...

SP: en la excursión por avión a la cascada de Kaietur, un grupo de españoles también participaron - en realidad éramos dos daneses, dos holandeses y diez españoles .. y además del guía yo hablaba principalmente con los españoles. Por ejemplo, uno de ellos mencionó que teníamos muy pocas mariposas, e yo mismo había notado que había relativamente pocos pájaros para ver. Esta última observación podría ser explicado por el hecho che hemos pasado paso a través de lugares con mucho chirrido de aves en los árboles, pero porque no detuvimos en esos lugares no tuvimos tiempo de detectarlos. Hay tours especiales para los amantes de las aves ("twitchers" en inglés), pero yo no soy tan fanático - y mi equipo no estaba orientado a la observación sistemática de aves. Sin embargo, nos detuvimos en algún lugar donde tres gallitos de las rocas ("cock-of-the-rock"s) se presentaron (ver foto). Esto es el pájaro icónico para el área, y el único que se hace un esfuerzo especial para mostrar a los visitantes.

The country in the middle, Suriname, is mostly Dutchspeaking, but the population is very mixed and the different groups also have their own languages.

DU: Een bijzonderheid is dat vrijwel alle supermarkten door Chinezen worden geleid (hoewel de ware eigenaren vaak Indiërs zijn). Er zijn ook gebieden met concentraties van bijvoorbeeld Indonesiërs - daar kunt je het woord "warung" overal in de straten zien. De oude stad van de hoofdstad Paramaribo bestaat voornamelijk uit witte boerderijen en staat op de lijst van UNESCO's grootste bezienswaardigheden ter wereld. Gelukkig was ons hotel in het centrum, en ik heb wat tijd doorgebracht om alleen rond de straten te lopen en aan de huizen kijken. We waren echter ook op een uitstap naar Nieuw Amsterdam, waar er een oud fort is (en veel vogels!), en na de inspectie ervan zeiden we langs de Commewijne River en keekten naar de famoose roze dolfijnen. Dit was een leuke excursie.

FR: Et après on est allé a Guiane Française, comme déjà indiqué, où le septième lancement de l'année d'une Ariane a perturbé notre programme planifié.

LA: Summum propositum omnis peregrinatoris ad Guianam Gallicam est centrum spatiale apud Kuru, et summa ironia est quod dimissio rochetae Ariadnis nobis aditum centri impedivit. Sed quam supra iam indicatum, vespere ad oram ivi ut fugam rochaetae spectare. Oppidum Kuru ab XX chilometra de Centro Spatiale situatum est, sed lumen rochetae clare in caelo visibile erat. Peregrinatores rari sunt, et incolae urbis iam tantas dimissiones videbant quod nunc res ordinaria illi sit, ergo litus - qui (ad modo C metra ex hospitio erat) - quasi desertum erat. Honoratiores dimissiones ex podio spectare possunt (unum podium ad X chilometra ex sito dimissionis est, altrum ad XV chilometra), sed non credo eos melius rochetas videre possunt quam nos ad litorem apud Kuru.

F5707a01-gallito de las rocas.jpg

IT: PS: Adesso sto guardando su RaiUno la manifattura di una pizza romana. Questo è un soggetto molto rilevante per me (avido produttore e consumatore di pizze), ma già so come facere pizze .. e mettere zucchero in una pizza no mi piace affatto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 am

I basically finished the job of putting a bit of order in my photes from the trip yesterday, including getting the paper prints from the photoshop and doing the registration in my computer system. Now I just have to write the travelogue/diary entries while I still remember the details (and add a few maps). I spent a bit of time yesterday studying a problem with my camera which has been growing for a month or so, namely that it comes out with an error E32 while I review pictures - but functions excellently when I photographed. I didn't find anything useful from the camera producer, but got through a lot of forums etc. in English. Most described it as a zoom lens error, which doesn't fit the symptoms in my case, but a few mentioned that their camera shuts down after exactly one minute while previewing images. Why do I write this? Because I found the most likely explanation on a German page machine translated from Italian: it could be caused by the mechanism that determines the position of the camera (horisontal or vertical or lying down). This fits the bill since that mechanism also is active while reviewing pictures - the lens mechanism isn't. Can I do anything about it? Probably not, since it would be cheaper to buy a new camera than to get the old one repaired.

While working at the computer I often have my TV switched on, with or without sound. Yesterday I watched a long cuisine program in Italian, but after that I found something so innocuous and boring that I didn't feel tempted to look at it all the time: snooker! And it had one advantage more: I normally feel it like a kick into the groin every time a commercial pause starts, but the torture intervals in snooker transmission seem to be placed systematically at the end of each round and nowhere else, and a round tends to end when all or almost all the coloured balls have been shot down into the holes of the table. Then I have time to turn down to sound or switch to another program, hurray. Right now I watch QI, and there is ugly BBC self promotion between programs, but not during the program. Hurray.

Kunst018.JPG

GR: Η υλικό ανάγνωσης μου αυτής της νύχτας ήταν ένα άρθρο στην ελληνική μου συλλογή, το οποίο περιελάμβανε και το μεγάλο άρθρο της Βικιπαίδειας για τα κοάλα που ανέφερα πριν από αρκετές εβδομάδες. Αυτή τη φορά διάβασα για τη νότια αυστραλιανή πόλη Αδελαΐδα, που επισκέφθηκα στο έτο 1994. Ήμουν σε ένα ομαδικό ταξίδι σε δύο εβδομάδων στην Αυστραλία και φτάσαμε στο Σίδνεϊ, το Κόκκινο Κέντρο με την Αλίκη Σπρινγκς, τον ποτάμι Ρος, το Βαταρκα και το Ουλόυρου, το Κουλγγάττα με Μπρίσμπεϊν στην ανατολική ακτή και ... την Αδελαΐδα. Και έφτασα στην πόλη με το περίφημο τρένο, του οποίου οι σιδηροτροχιές έπρεπε να μετακινούνται καθώς αποδείχτηκε άβολο να τους βρεθούν σε ένα αποξηραμένο ποτάμι (μερικές φορές έστω και έρημο). Σε αντίθεση με τον καθηγητή Χάλε, δεν έμαθα καμία αβοριγινής γλώσσας εκεί κάτω, και δυστυχώς δεν είμαι εκεί από τότε. Παρεμπιπτόντως, η κίνηση με το The Ghan ήταν επίσης αξέχαστη για έναν άλλο λόγο: το καλάθι με το χώρο μου που έμεινε έκλεισε, γι 'αυτό αναβαθμίστηκα στην πρώτη θέση, και καθώς υπήρχε ένα κιβώτιο ανθρώπων-ψάθιου πρώτης θέσης με το τρένο, καθόμουν μισή νύχτα παίζοντας τον πιάνο. Ήταν στην αυτή την οδήγηση που έγραψα τη σονάτα του πιάνου, την αρχή της οποίας εγώ παραθέτω στον αυτά τα νήμα μου.

DK: Sådan går tingene i ring!

F0833a04_TheGhan.JPG
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:34 am

Iversen wrote: I did however take another test called the Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test, and you can take it for free at a site called Colormunki. You move small squares around so that they form four continuous rows of hues. I got 0 errors, which isn't unheard of, but a reassurance that the colors on my paintings aren't caused by faulty color perception. But some paintings are. The great Monet got his eye lenses removed late in late due to cataract, and the glass lenses he got instead didn't shut out the ultra violet light. The funny thing is that we should in principle be able to see ultraviolet, but our eye lenses block that colour. So when Monet had his operation he must have experienced a change in his color perception, and some art historians have claimed that they can see the difference in the choice of color on his last paintings. Well...

I got 0 errors for the colours test on Colormunki as well.

I think that different people see a different thing for the colours, for example in my family we don't agree about some blue or mauve: i find it mauve but my mum and sisters say that it's blue. Then I see the colours more brightly also than them. The colour that is on the border blue - mauve is so beautiful, not like the disgusting colour that makes me feel that I must vomit, which is the border orange with pink. I like pink a lot, but pure pink, not with orange.

I watched a bit of a TV programme about a girl who is a genius in music, she writes music, plays the violin and the piano. Her music seemed very nice, and she can play the violin very, very well. But she's very rude to the adults like the conductor, she's extremely bossy and not shy at all. her name is Alma Deutscher, have you seen the programme?
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm

I have not seen the program, and now Vogeltje has told me about this person's behaviour I wouldn't even deplore this. And concerning colours: I'm not surprised that different people can have differences in their colour delimitations. If people were trained to respond with specific names to specific coloured cards from a standard set they could probably learn to come up with the same names (except in cases of daltonism), but since they still would have different categorizations for most other things in the universe this would hardly be worth the effort. And whose colour names should be chosen as the correct ones? This reminds me of a question in the quiz QI: name a berry. It turns out that 'the botanists' apparently count cucumbers and bananas as fruits, but not blackberries and strawberries. Ahem, should we really accept this just because the botanists nicked the word "fruit" and defined it in their own idiosyncratic way? No, I say.

A few days ago I had a funny dream. I have earlier mentioned the claim that you can't read in dreams, but of course you can. I dreamt that I walked around in an Albanian town, and here I saw a table full of books. On this table I found one guidebook in Danish for South Albania and another for North Albania, both written by a fictive person named "Knud Ørsted". The guidebooks looked like some blue ones I have bought in Greece, but I couldn't find the price - neither on the front page, not on the back or insides, but I read some lines about the country. On the same table there were other books, including one simply named "Shquip" (= Albanian), but I wanted to buy those by mr. Ørsted. It occurred to me that I could ask the vendors at a nearby stand about the price, and I started out with "Sa është .." (""what is..", i.e. "how much.. "), but then I couldn't remember the Albanian for "this book", and I woke up. How irritating - it is simply "ky libër"!

One more thing about dreams: in the latest magazine from Danish Coop there is an interesting article about lucid dreams (where you know you are dreaming and maybe even are able to choose how to change the flow of the dream). It seems that several research groups have been experimenting with inducing such dreams by applying weak currents to the brain, and it seems that they have been using a frontlet for the purpose. This is interesting because the missing components in ordinary dreams are conscious reflection and control, and these functions are mainly performed by the frontal lobes. However the article was fairly sceptical about when these contraptions can be expected to find their way to ordinary shops.

PS: right now I'm watching an astronomical program in a mixture of English and Croatian on Croatian TV (HRT1) - but at least with subtitles in Croatian when they speak English.

FlagAlba.JPG
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 am

GE: I haven't added to this log thread since Tuesday because I have been occupied with a non-linguistic project on my computer, and my language learning/sustaining activities have taken place in the evenings, i.e. after I have shut down my computer. It all happened because I wanted to include my latest zoo visits in the computer system I use to record my photos and postcards ... and then it irritated me that I have mapped the world in different ways in the zoo photos, the list of visited zoos, ground plans and the file with the comments to each zoo (my own and texts snatched from the internet). It took three days to streamline these lists, and I discovered a number of holes that now should be dealt with - but not necessarily today. I found a dozen or so lacunes in the visited-zoo/aquarium-list, so having filled out these holes I now reckon that I have visited 536 zoos and aquaria. Some are very small (like a corner of a park on St. Vincent with the national parrot and two or three other critters), others are quite big - and I have counted a number of 'binary' places as one institution even if they have separate entrances and tickets.

GE: Das Kriterium ist, daß benachbarte Institute mit der Möglichkeit ein Kombiticket zu kaufen als eine Institution gezählt werden. In Berlin bedeutet dies, daß der Zoo und das benachbarte Aquarium als ein Punkt auf der Liste gelten, während der Tiergarten im Osten als unabhängige Institution betrachtet wird - unabhängig davon, daß Zoo und Tiergarten seit der Wende zusammen verwaltet werden. Aber es gab eine Periode, wo Zoo und Aquarium offenbar so verfeindet waren, daß es keine Kombikarte verkauft wurde - und damals habe ich Zoo und Aquarium als zwei Institutionen gezählt, obwohl sie Nachbaren sind.

F5715b03_toucan-Zoo_Guyane.jpg

EN: So what have I done in the evenings? Well, most of it must count as extensive learning since I just read texts until I fell asleep. Only yesterday - where I had reached the end of the zoo list - did I actually sit down in my armchair to write something down - a Greek word list with some 200 words. And afterwards I copied/studied the second half of a printout set in Bulgarian, but when I then turned to the first page again the first long text was not in Bulgarian, but in Macedonean (which looks very much like Bulgarian, except that there are consonants with diacritics ("international" is "меѓународни" in Macedonian, "международен" in Bulgarian). And right now Macedonian is not on my to-do list.

BU: И двата текста разказват за сайт наречен "Global Voices" ('Глобал Бойсис'). Идеята в този сайт е да предоставя преведени текстови съобщения на 30 езика. Харесва ми тазита идея, но текстовете, които четох, ме носеха. Науката е по-добра. Български и македонски не са трудни за четене (дори и в двуезична версия, където вторият е сръбски), но не мога да говоря нито едно от тях - още.

AL: Unë gjithashtu nuk mund të flas shqip, por kjo gjuhë është e vështirë për lexuar - ende.

CA: Vaig llegir un recull de textos en català sobre ciència. Els primers textos d'aquest conjunt ja vaig comentar: dos textos sobre Homo Florensiensis, el 'hobbit' de Flores. No vull repetir tot això, sinó només un detall divertit, és a dir, la història darrere del nom. Els descobridors havien originalment anomenat la seva criatura "Sundanthropus floresianus", però perquè indicaven també que sigui una mena de home, els arbitradors van assenyalar que el nom científic hauria de ser "Homo alguna-cosa". I un dels redactors coneixia el llatí prou bé per assenyalar que "floresianus" significa "anus florejat" en llatí. Així que es va convertir el nom en "Homo florensiensis", tot i que alguns investigadors encara estimen que l'esquelet trobat només prové d'un Homo sapiens amb alguna malaltia, no representi una nova espècie.

Els altres textos són més curts i tots provenen de la pàgina ciencia.ara.cat. Per exemple, ara se ha pogut demostrar que almenys alguns dinosaures tenien temperatures corporals de 35 a 38 graus centígrads. Como? Simplesment estudiant la proporció d'isòtops com el carboni 13 i l'oxigen 18 dins les dents de diversos sauròpodes. Però hi ha un atropellament: els dinosaures examinats són grans i els animals grans no perden fàcilment la seva calor - a diferència dels petits animals, que han de produir calor tot el temps. Un altre article tracta sobre el descobriment que les cèl·lules mare d'adults (que, en certa mesura, s'han especialitzat i tornat-se menys flexibles) poden tornar a ser més flexibles, la qual cosa és més prometedora per a l'ús en medicina avançada.

GE: Ich sehe gerade eine Sendung aus dem Leipziger Zoo (Elephant, Tiger und co.), in der die Tierwächer des Aquariums versuchen einem Tintenfisch zu lehren, wie man ein Glas mit Schraubdeckel öffnet. Es gibt andere Kopffüßer, die dies können (auch ein jetzt verstorbener Exemplar des Leipziger Zoos), aber ihrer aktuelle Oktopus kann es nicht - auch nicht wenn sie ihm zeigen, wie man es machen soll. So ein dummer Tintenfisch! Also doch keiner Tinten-Einstein in Leipzig dieses Jahr!

Kunst010.JPG
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 am

EN: My goodnight reading yesterevening was a collection of printouts from http://www.descopera.ro, a Romanian science page which somehow remedies the deplorable lack of science magazines in every single kiosk in Romania I have ever visited. About half of the chosen articles in some form or other are related to the topic of quantum mechanic, and half the rest deal with nutrition and health in some way. Among these is a short notice that claims that it is against nature to work many hours in a row - we should work in blocks of 90-minutes with a rest at the end of each block. The reason is that we have a circadian rhythm with this kind of duration - most evident when we sleep, but the same regularity in mental awareness continues through our waking hours. Another article lauds the present pope for accepting that evolution IS a fact, maybe even the big bang. Ironically this happens when some cosmologists have come up with the idea that our present ideas around the big bang may be false - maybe the 'sum' of everything in the universe isn't zero, which leads the the idea that our univers only is an ephemeral disturbance in an eternal or non-temporal multiverse ... but where did the MULTIVERSE then come from??

The articles are necessarily short and non-technical, so reading them often raise unanswered questions. For instance there is one about a company in Canada that apparently has been working with quantum computers. In an ordinary computer everything is stored as either 0 or 1, whereas in a quantum computer information is saved as cubits. In the Danish Wikipedea there is an illustration that implies that each cubit consists of three bits which each with a likelihood of between 0 and 1 has the value of 0 or 1. The snag is that you only can 'read' the whole cubit (as either 0 or 1), and when when you do you destroy the original content of the original cubit.

Cubit.jpg

Apparentlly this one company has obtained 93 US patents and laid down claims for 107 international patents. The director of the company in question states with glee that ...

RO: "Acest portofoliu de proprietate intelectuală va face extrem de dificilă apariţia unui competitor care să producă un computer similar în următorii 15 ani".

EN: Well, maybe it isn't a big problem that the development of this dubious technology is stalled because of patent trouble. So far the technology looks more like hot air than something useful and credible. Would you trust such a quantic system to store the details of your bank account?

RO: Un alt articol spune ceva despre un experiment în care cercetătorii au plasat două fotoni conectați de departe - într-un caz, unul ar putea să fie într-un satelit și celălalt pe pământ. Totuși, schimbări spinului unui particul a ca rezultat o schimbare opusă în spinul altului. "Spin" aici nu este o rotație clasică, ci o cantitate abstractă cuantică unui particol. Există foarte puține lucruri în mecanica cuantică pe care pur și simplu nu le înțeleg (cu excepția întregului matematică, haha), dar non-localitatea este una dintre ele. Cu toate acestea, fizicienii susțin că fenomenul a fost dovedit (printre altele, de Alain Aspect într-un test faimos al teoremei lui Bell). Aspectul alarmant acestui concept este că compresia cuantică NU respectă viteza luminii și deschide clapa pisica pentru a comunica mai repede decât lumina.

Kunst094.JPG
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am

Iversen wrote:
F5715b03_toucan-Zoo_Guyane.jpg

The toucans are wonderful

Iversen wrote:Ich sehe gerade eine Sendung aus dem Leipziger Zoo (Elephant, Tiger und co.), in der die Tierwächer des Aquariums versuchen einem Tintenfisch zu lehren, wie man ein Glas mit Schraubdeckel öffnet. Es gibt andere Kopffüßer, die dies können (auch ein jetzt verstorbener Exemplar des Leipziger Zoos), aber ihrer aktuelle Oktopus kann es nicht - auch nicht wenn sie ihm zeigen, wie man es machen soll. So ein dummer Tintenfisch! Also doch keiner Tinten-Einstein in Leipzig dieses Jahr!

Kunst010.JPG

Ja, ich hatte auch gehört, dass die Oktopusse sehr intelligent sind. Die Menschen denken immer, dass nur sie selber intelligent sind, das ist aber total falsch, weil zb die Delfinen, Vögel, usw genau so intelligent sind oder manchmal auch mehr so. Es ist aber natülich so, dass wie die kommunizieren, lernen, denken, und die Welt Perzeption haben anders ist, und die Menschen bis jetzt inkapabel sind um das zu akkzeptieren oder verstehen. Du nicht, ich meine die meisten.

Ich esse nie Vögel oder Delfin, aber ich habe schon Tintenfisch gegessen, aber veilleicht jetzt nicht mehr, es schmeckt mir nicht wenn ich daran denke.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Ich esse einige Vögel, vorwiegend solche diejenige, die als Geflügel bezeichnet werden - davon gibt es so viele auf dieser Erde, daß ein Paar mehr oder weniger wohl keine Bedeutung hat. Ich habe noch keinen Delfin gegessen, aber mitunter ein Stückchen Tintenfisch (vorwiegend auf Pizzen).

Kunst058.JPG
0 x

Return to “Language logs”