Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Tue May 02, 2023 4:35 pm

With all the time that garden takes, it is likely to be mentioned several times in the future - as an excuse for not having studied :oops: . I'm beginning to think about travelling again now that I have sold my old flat and basically finished the move into my late mother's house. But if I leave home a couple of weeks it wouldn't wonder me if we got thirty degrees and not a drop of rain while I was away. And leaving during the berry season will be a non-no, but I already took take that into consideration during the previous years. Today I have just thrown some Tagetes into an empty place in the raised bed AND watered the whole thing (it should have rained last night, but it can't have been more than a few drops). Besides I have been to the recycling plant and a supermarket so until now I having done any studying - apart from watching some TV (right now from the Berlin Zoo and Tiergarten). But yesterday evening I grabbed the history of Portugal which I put aside several weeks ago, and I read around twenty pages, including those that told about an infortunate lady named Inez de Castro.

POR: O rei Afonso IV de Portugal governou 1325 até sua morte em 1357, e tinha um filho chamado Pedro. Pedro era casado com Constanza Manuel, falecida em 1349. Mas, apesar da fúria do pai, o filho recusou-se a casar novamente, pois estava apaixonado pela dama de companhia da rainha, Inês - uma galega. Mas o rei recusou-lhes o casamento, e o papa também foi contra - então o casal apenas viveu junto em Coimbra sem ser casado (pelo menos oficialmente) e eles ainda produziram alguns filhos. Mas Pedro nem sempre podia estar em casa, e o rei, aproveitando uma vez a ausência de D. Pedro, foi com Pero Coelho, Álvaro Gonçalves, Diogo Lopes Pacheco e outros para executarem Inês de Castro em Santa Clara, conforme fora decidido em conselho segreto. Alegadamente cortaram-a a cabeça na frente dos seus filhos. Pedro ficou furioso e iniciou uma guerra civil contra seu pai, mas pouco antes da morte do pai eles fizeram as pazes. E à morte do rei Afonso o seu unico filho legitimo Pedro tornou-se rei. Porém ele ainda estava furioso! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ele rastreou os conselheiros homicidos de seu pai, pegou dois deles e arrancou os corações deles ao vivo com suas próprias mãos (muitos anos antes de que alguém tivesse de maneira alguma ouvido falar dos aztecas!) - o terceiro culpado havia fugido para a França, e ele ficou por precaução lá. Pedro depois revelou que havia sido casado secretamente com Inez, desenterraram a sua corpo e ordenaram que todos na corte beijassem a mão dela e pedissem desculpas. No fato, não há nenhuma evidência escrita para isso, mas a história é tão divertida que pelo menos nove óperas foram escritas sobre o sujeito. Seria difícil inventar um libreto mais improvável - embora muitos escritores de libretos tenham tentado fazê-lo.

Sepultura de Inez de Castro no Mosteiro de Alcobaça.jpg

By the way, I also have another project going right now, namely the comments to animal nomenclatures. And it mostly takes time because I suddenly discover critters that weren't mentioned on the cladograms I used for the lists. Or there could be other reasons, like for instance that the whole project started because I wanted to have an overview over the Probosceans (elephants and their predecessors), but then I added sloths and armadillos etc. because they apparently are related to the probosceans ... and then the ball rolled. But it turned out that the earliest identifiable probosceans are much later than the other groups, and then I had to turned the whole list upside down - and discovered the Desmostylians in the process. Aughhh!!

And today I'm studying the history of the hoofed animals (Perissodactyls) and now I have just seen a reference to a group named Taeniodonta, which in Wikipedia is said to be "an extinct early group of cimolestid mammals" - Cimolesta being an extinct order of non-placental eutherian mammals. Aughhh!! Non-placental means that they ought to lay eggs or give birth to undeveloped youngs like the Marsupials, but I didn't see any reference to them when I worked with those two groups a few days ago. So what the heck is going on here? Quote Wikipedia: "Some experts had placed the pangolins within Cimolesta, though the current consensus is that the pangolins should be placed within their own order" -but pangolins are placental so ... The table to the right on the same page also places the mysterious Cimolesta safely within the Eutheria, which are as placental as can be. No wonder that the people who put the cladograms together chose not to mention the mysterious Cimos, but by doing that they just left the problem to poor me! And while the garden takes my daylight hours zoological nomenclature eats my evenings ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue May 02, 2023 5:24 pm

Tagetes are called Marigolds in America. We use them to keep deer and bugs away, esp. around tomatoe plants.
0 x

Euroweeb
Português
Español
Français
Deutsch

Postby Euroweeb » Wed May 03, 2023 10:03 pm

Diverti-me ler essa história sobre o Pedro, não a sabia. Na verdade, o meu conhecimento da história de Portugal é bastante fraco, mas acho que neste ano vou ver uns documentários e ler mais uns artigos sobre a história de Portugal.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu May 04, 2023 9:42 pm

Yesterday evening I got a choc shock- my new computer wouldn't connect to the internet. Normally I get on automatically to a router which also serves my TV and my old computer (via a prehistoric cable), but no - it could see the source, but not open the connection. Then I tried an older solution which I used before I inherited my mother's house and installed the router - a mobile hotspot. And it connected to the internet, and the computer could see that it was switched on, but it refused point blank to establish the connection. I went through the inbuilt error testing routines with and withot the hotspot switched on, but after a couple of attempts it got stuck and didn't say even that it couldn't repair the error. Then I would log out, but then the whole damned thing got stuck with the message "logging off" running in circles (probably because of a stuck routine somewhere)- and I could make it sleep, but when I open the thing again it was still trying to log off. Many years ago the cure against that kind of stubborness was to remove the battery. I can't do that now, but I let the machine run the whole night to empty the battery. And this morning I plugged it in again and fed it some electricity. And then I switch the thing on and saw the usual desktop again, phew. The 'wi fi card' had been disabled, but I enabled it and could log on again as usual. Now I just hope that it won't do that kind of things again - they re simply too nervewrecking!

So this morning I did study something, namely one of the three issues of the magazine Esperanto which I have let lie unopened because it normally is quite boring (mostly reports from congresses and meetings), but ...

EO: ĉi-foje estis io tute nekutima, nome artikolo pri observoj faritaj de la nova Webb-teleskopo flosanta ie en la granda kosmo - ŝajne ĝi trovis kelkajn ege pezajn galaksiojn el la tempo tuj post la "grandeksplodo", kaj nun kosmologoj devas tuŝi iliajn modelojn. Kiel atendite, estas Amri Wandel kiu skribis pri la temo (kadre de la Scienca Kafejo en la Kongreso de UEA en Torino), kaj li ŝajne ankaŭ estis intervjuita lige kun sia vizito al la Esperanto-Muzeo en Vieno - estas tri podkastoj en la Interreto ĉe la adresoj https://mallonge.net/xl kaj /xm kaj /xn, kaj mi certe devos aŭdi ilin. Amri Wandel estas grava kialo, pro kiu mi ankoraŭ okupiĝas pri Esperanto.

EN: And after that I did some gardening. I have still the twigs and leaves and needles and branches from two former trees lying in a heap on the lawn, but today I started to chop them up with my hedge trimmer (to make them take less space and easier decomposable), and then I needed my ... well, I have had a new wheelbarrow lying unassembled for months in my carport, but now I had something to use it for, and I started to assemble it. I was however left with two yellow metal thingies (plus nuts and screws) whose purpose I can't see - the apparatus now has two arms and a wheel and a receptacle in the middle, and that's as far as I can see all I need from a wheelbarrow. The problem is that after I had screwed the wheelbarrow together I was too tired to collect the chopped-up twigs and leaves and needles and branches and cart them away, so .. well, maybe tomorrow ..

Kunst087.JPG

And then I spent the evening finishing my file with comments to the ungulates. It ended at 35 pages in MSword, and it has taken quite some time to compile - mostly because the different articles in Wikipedia don't always agree, and sometimes they forget to mention whole animal groups. I noticed that the English version isn't quite as well served with cladograms etc. with the ungulates as it was for the primitive mammals, so this time I have used other language versions more. In several cases it was the Italian version that came to my rescue, but I have also peeked into for instance the Spanish and the German and the Ukraninian Wikipediae for specific families and genera and species where the English version was too laconic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu May 04, 2023 10:25 pm

Choc should be Shock, and not able, but enable
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri May 05, 2023 12:15 am

Iversen wrote:And this morning I plugged it in again and fed it some electricity.

Perhaps it was just hungry?
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 am

rdearman wrote:Choc should be Shock, and not able, but enable

"Choc" was a gallicism and "able" was a typo - sometimes I hit the wrong keys or don't hit them hard enough (even though they don't require much pressure these dys (see, there I did it again!)).

Apat frpm that:

GR: Χθες αγόρασα ένα ταξίδι μιας εβδομάδας στην Κρήτη για περίπου 500 €, οπότε τώρα θέλω να επιταχύνω τις σπουδές μου στα ελληνικά. Έχω ξαναρχίσει τη μελέτη του παλιού μου περιοδικού αεροπορίας από το Aegean (με το οποίο, παρεμπιπτόντως, σύντομα θα πετάξω ξανά εκεί κάτω). Το βρήκα όταν ήμουν σε ένα συνέδριο στη Θεσσαλονίκη το 2016, και είναι δίγλωσσο και εν μέρει για ενδιαφέροντα θέματα. Χθες το βράδυ αρχικά μελέτησα ένα άρθρο για το φαράγγι της Σαμαριάς (το οποίο ΔΕΝ επισκέφτηκα στην πρώτη μου επίσκεψη στο νησί στο έτος 1987), μετά για μια έκθεση ιστορικών κοσμημάτων στο μουσείο της Μυκόνου. Στην επόμενη επίσκεψή μου, θα προσπαθήσω να αγοράσω άλλο υλικό ανάγνωσης, αλλά οι αποσκευές μου δεν πρέπει να ξεπερνούν τα 8 κιλά, επομένως υπάρχουν όρια στις αγορές. Στη Θεσσαλονίκη αγόρασα μια μετάφραση της Ιλιάδας στα νέα ελληνικά, αλλά ήταν λάθος - μοιάζει περισσότερο με ποιητική Καθαρεύουσα παρά με δημωτική, και η μετάφραση ήταν σχεδόν τόσο δύσκολη στην ανάγνωση όσο το πρωτότυπο στα ομηρικά ελληνικά.

Kunst200.JPG

And the garden still constitutes a seriously time consuming entity. I removed all visible dandelions from the lawns and beds - but in particular from the driveway - less a week ago and now their replacements have come up. The problem is that the soil there is filled with pebbles to make it harder, and that also makes it harder to weed. I think I'll end up with a whole cubic meter of dandelions before their flowering season is over. My sister isn't much of a comfort - she says they are pretty and that I should let them be.

Le Baron wrote:
Iversen wrote:And this morning I plugged it in again and fed it some electricity.

Perhaps it was just hungry?

No, it had just without warning lost interest in the outside world, and then it sulked and went on strike like a spoiled kid when I tried to tell it to behave, and I had to starve it to scare it enough to get to its senses again. Right now everything works, but for how long?

Kunst171.JPG
9 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Sat May 06, 2023 3:59 pm

Iversen wrote:"Choc" was a gallicism and "able" was a typo - sometimes I hit the wrong keys or don't hit them hard enough (even though they don't require much pressure these dys (see, there I did it again!)).

Apat frpm that:
You may be smatt but yuor're a lousy tpyist. :D

Iversen wrote:And the garden still constitutes a seriously time consuming entity. I removed all visible dandelions from the lawns and beds - but in particular from the driveway - less a week ago and now their replacements have come up. The problem is that the soil there is filled with pebbles to make it harder, and that also makes it harder to weed. I think I'll end up with a whole cubic meter of dandelions before their flowering season is over. My sister isn't much of a comfort - she says they are pretty and that I should let them be.
I'm 100% in agreement with your sister. Besides being pretty, dandelions are good early nectar for bees and you can eat the leaves and the flowers and make coffee with the roots. They have a lot of health benefits and they loosen compacted soil. Plus, their sunny flowers can lift the spirits after the dull colours of winter. You can search online and find armloads of info on the benefits of dandelions … and, I will now go back to minding my own business. :mrgreen:
4 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun May 07, 2023 12:25 pm

Yes, daffodils are pretty. But if I didn't do something about them my garden would look like the field at the other side of the hedge. I am not fanatical about murdering weeds - if they are pretty and not too imperialist I mostly let them stay (to the point that I use the word "biodiversity" when referring to the weeds). But daffodils just spread too fast, and they are not exactly a threatened species here.

daffodils galore.jpg

Apart from that: I'm working on my comments-to-animals files, and right now I'm doing the carnivores and their extinct relatives. When I did the series with species names there was not room for comments, and I chose to only to quote English and Latin names (and Danish names if I could find them) plus one line with geography and sometimes the size. Pictures could be found through Google or Wikipedia - one per species. I also included a lot of cladogrammes, and they almost exclusively were found in the English Wikipedia. But here in the comments series I can vary the languages a bit more. I still depend heavily on the English Wikipedia, but it turns out that there are some quite good pages in other languages -like for instance Italian (there must be one or more Italians with a deep interest in extinct Mammals out there!). However sometimes I can also find quotable material in other languages - like Portuguese, Serbian, Ukrainian and .. well, even Danish, but the Danish Wikipedia is not very informative compared to some of the others, and then it doesn't matter that I'm a Danish specimen myself.

Below a quote from a Portuguese article about an obscure extinct group of relatives of the hyenas:

Percrocutidae: Os Percrocutídeos (Percrocutidae) foram uma família de mamíferos extintos, que pela semelhança com as modernas hienas, por muito tempo foram considerados parte dos Hyaenidae. Eram necrófagos e seus dentes podiam esmagar ossos. Surgiram no Mioceno Inferior, e atingiram grande tamanho. Alguns incluem nesta família o gênero africano do Mioceno Médio Africanictis, que está incluído nos Stenoplesictidae, o que pode indicar uma relação de parentesco entre as duas famílias. Originalmente eles foram assinalados com as hienas na família Hyaenidae. Hoje, muitos cientistas consideram a Percrocutidae como uma família distinta embora algumas vezes ela é colocada com alguns outros gêneros carnívoros, como o Stenoplesictis, na família Stenoplesictidae.

Dinocrocuta.jpg
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue May 09, 2023 10:11 am

Yesterday was a strange day. I went to the nearest town to buy a new camera in a shop owned by an old school mate, and he told me that cameras almost weren't sold any more - everyone used their phones now. But he fiddled around with the old one so that the shutter functioned better again, and then I ordered two new batteries - everything because I'm going on my first trip abroad for a year soon (Crete) and I want a camera that just works. Maybe I'm a stubborn old dinosaur, but I prefer having a separate camera. On the way back home I stopped at a supermarket to buy groceries, but couldn't resist the temptating to buy some herbs in pots and two perennials (one of which should survive the winter, the other - well, maybe). Then I had to stop at a plant nursery to buy soil and I came away from there with more plants. Then I had to stuff them into the earth, using some of my newly bought ecological soil, and then I went inside. There I heard from my sister that an expected downpour today would happen one hundred km to the West from here, and then I walked out again and watered the garden. And then I walk back in and revised a preliminary map from earlier this year and updated the species list on the backside with information from the internet ... and then the whole evening was gone. I just managed to read a couple of issues of the magazine Esperanto (January and March) - or at least part of them, because reports that only state that a number of persons met somewhere and adopted a resolution that expressed a sincere desire for world peace and even more Esperanto are simply not worth reading.

EO: Sed ne ĉio estas lige enuiga, kaj iuj renkontoj sonas pli interesaj ol aliaj. En Germanujo okazis du tutlandaj Novjaraj Kongresoj, el kiuj unu estis dediĉita al petoloj kaj kulturo, dum la alia estis dediĉita al scienco. Kaj kompreneble estis la nelacigebla Amri Wandel kiu rakontis pri ĉi tiu lasta. Parenteze, ŝajne ke li skribos novan rubrikon en ĉiu numero de la revuo, kaj tutaj temas pri scienco, precipe astronomio - mi legis ĉi tion kun granda plezuro. Germanujo ankaŭ havas oficialan Esperantan urbon, Herzberg (ie en Harzo), kaj tie ĉiuj publikaj ŝildoj estas dulingvaj. Tamen mi scivolas koncerne kiom de la loĝantoj de la urbo fakte povas paroli Esperanton - kaj ĉu la ceteraj malamas la iniciaton...

SP: Otra nota del resto del mundo: el gobierno español ha decidido dar a todos los jóvenes del país una tarjeta interrail y, dado que esta es limitada en el país de origen, pagará la mayor parte de sus billetes de tren. Uno tiene que asumir que esto causará muchos pasajeros y caos total, como cuando los alemanes introdujeron un billete de 9 €, pero sigue siendo una excelente idea.

DA: Kassen forneden til højre på nedenstående kort er et højbed hvor purløg og persille har overlevet vinteren, mens resten er fremdrevet fra frø i mine vindueskarme indendørs. Det dør sikkert til vinter, og noget af det dør måske fordi jeg udplantede det for tidligt. That's life.. eller måske det modsatte. Nu vander jeg det for at redde så meget som muligt, og nattemperaturerne er på vej op.

Garden.jpg
8 x

Return to “Language logs”