Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:46 pm

Since the message above I have spent one day (Thursday) studying the most primitive chordates - mostly, but not exclusively in English. Some time ago I made a series of wordfiles with animal species, mostly based on Wikipedia (and later I made pdf versions of them). The purpose was to learn something about current zoological nomenclature, and I discovered that the ideas now accepted have changed radically since the 60s where I made my first list with names of extant amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals - though of course not all of them since I couldn't find sufficiently comprehensive sources (not even the catalogues from the Natural history museum in London, which I ordered to Denmark on my mother's library card, sufficed -but I did my best). This time I have included fish and some primtive chordates, but now there is a stupendously amount of material on Wikipedia - and I can copy selected parts of it to my files just with a few clicks.

The error was that I started to read the first file with (with jawless critters), and then I felt seriously inadequate because I couldn't see from my partial lists why the system was as it was - like for instance why hagfish were separate from lampreys. And since I had looked them up on Wikipedia already several days before and didn't remember the exact answer I realized that the situation apparently was too complicated to remember, so I decided to write some accompanying files to my lists that explained why the heck the division lines are as they are. And it took a whole day just for the first file and half of the next, but when I get old and decrepit I can sit in my rocking chair and get a repetition of why those two groups aren't just put together in the slime produced by the hagfish (which aren't fish at all and don't even have a spine, but at least they have a soft squishy skull - and for some reason they are called "Pirålar" in Swedish)

And yesterday (Friday) I drove to a cluster of shops some 20 kms from there to buy a fan heater, and when I had bought it I just on a whim drove 300 kms more and visited three towns with three museums plus an aquarium and a cafeteria, and in the evening I organized the photos I had taken. No study at all, and that's clearly not how you learn languages, so today (Saturday) I did study - though not in the most exhilarating way. I discovered four old sheets with Polish wordlists, and since I hadn't made my repetitions within the first couple of days after the production date I decided to do the full three columns. And then I only got through one of the four sheets (some 400 words). But it does count as intensive study ...
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:38 pm

Today I first did a couple of hundred Polish words while watching Anglophone TV, but then I accidentally went through the channel list and found something promising on a channel that normally mostly sends junk- Raiuno. It ...no, let's take that in Italian:

IT: Non ho visto l'inizio del programma, ma quando sono saltato dal cielo mi sono ritrovato in una specie di cappella nella città di Cagliari in Sardegna. E no, non c'era nemmeno il solito coro al fondo che di solito accompagna tutto dalle chiese di qua e di là. C'era un uomo che raccontava sobriamente del luogo, e nel frattempo c'erano comparse silenziose che sguazzavano in costumi d'epoca. Forse la chiesa era quella di Santo Saturnino, nel qual caso (secondo Wikipedia) ci sarebbe una cappella dedicata al santo Lucifero (no, non si pensa il Diavolo, ma a un vescovo morto da tempo con un nome sfortunato - odioso oppositore degli ariani). Poi abbiamo visto alcune sale eccezionalmente opulente del palazzo Regio - anche qui con persone in costume (e musica di Wagner in sottofondo).

GER: Übrigens habe ich eine Vorschau auf eine Sendung über die Restaurierung von Ludwig II.s Schloss Neuschwanstein in Bayern zufällig gesehen (ich habe dieses Schloß besucht und es lustig gefunden), aber ich werde diese Sendung wahrscheinlich nur mit Untertiteln sehen - noch mehr Englisch brauche ich nicht zu hören. Au Deutsch, vielleicht - weil das Gebäude dort liegt.

SPA: De Raiuno (donde empezó un servicio) salté a TVE, donde vi dos emisiones en espanol. El primero fue sobre la idea poco ética de tener chimpancés y babuinos como mascotas, solo para luego ponerlos en pequeñas jaulas cuando se vuelven grandes, peligrosos y maleducados. Dichos animales nunca podrán volver a ser liberados en la naturaleza. TVE continuó con una emisión bastante interesante sobre la conquista romana de Galicia (Cantabria) y la romanización posterior. Vimos varias ciudades en ruinas desde el aire, por lo que podías ver las típicas líneas rectas y ángulos romanos en el plano de la ciudad: ¡no había calles torcidas allí! Recientemente he leído algo sobre la época posterior a los romanos, cuando había un reino cristiano independiente allí - no especialmente por conocer más sobre Galicia, sino porque siempre me ha sorprendido que Portugal no empezara al norte con A Coruña. Resultó ser principalmente razones dinásticas que llevaron a ese resultado ... pero recientemente ya he escrito sobre el tema en este hilo.

TVE _ Soldados romanos.jpg

EN: After that I watched some Anglophone TV while I wrote some more Polish words, but ...

PLATT: .. dann hëff ik tovällig op NDR een Programma funnen, nöömt "De Norden op Platt". NDR heet door vele Johren de egene Sprok van Noorddütschland (Platt) serieus vernachlässicht, aver hier gääv 't mit eenmol 'ne hele halve Stüün op Platt - un wann een Hoog-schnacker wat op sien Sprok hett seggt, höffen de TV Lüü dorto Untertitel op Platt (!! wiest ("sweet revenge" :lol: )! We höffen ook welke Mennonitten in Paraguay besöökt, aver die schnacken nich Platt, sondern Plaut - dat is mit Platt unner de Scheerm vun Nederdüütsch verwandt, aver en Beten önners - to'n biespeel zeggen de Paraguayaner "Shöol¨voor "School" (Hoogdüütsch "Schule"). Er is (oder wöör) ook 'n groete Tall vun Plautschnackers in Rusland, aver ik weet nich, wie 't mit die Lüü geiht.

GER: Der Artikel der deutschen Wikipedia über die Mennoniten bezieht sich übrigens nur auf den russischen Zweig. Andere Wikipediae, einschließlich die englische und die spanische Versionen, sind da wesentlich mehr informativ und ausgewogen. Übrigens gibt es auch so etwas wie "Pennsylvania Deutsch", aber dies scheint eher eine Variante von Hochdeutsch zu sein.

EN: I have not planned to leave my house today, so it should be possible to do some more studying. And unless I run into more alluring TV programs I intend to do so while listening to around 7 hours of music by François Couperin le Grand and his uncle.

F Couperin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:24 pm

I read a couple of pages in my Greek guide to Rhodes every evening, but at that speed it will take forever. Yesterday I did Lindos, the town on the Eastern side of the island which has a tempel area on the top of a triangular rock plus two harbours - quite spectacular actually. And before that I read about Kamiros on the West coast which is a fine ruin of a town, but much flatter and therefore less spectacular, And before that about Monte Smith and Ialyssos. I intended to sit down and read a bunch of pages in the daytime to get through the book, but somehow I didn't get that done...

Lindos.jpg

Apart from Rhodes in tiny morsels I have been through the usual Harry Potter routine: I have two notestands at my armchair, and on the first I place a translation, on the second behind it the corresponding original - and then I try to keep them from clapping together by applying an assortment of clothespins. I vaguely remember a scene from one of the books where Harry almost gets eaten by a book which should be used for the study of weird and magical AND DANGEROUS critters - that's the same feeling I have when trying to tie down a bunch af bloated Potter books: when a book has passed 1000 pages it's a pain in the a*** to make it stay open without breaking its back.The first couple of books had a much more convenient size, but then ... well, I don't know what happened to madam Rowling, but now I can only manage because I have two notestands- it would have been plainly impossible with just one.

Potters.jpg

So I have worked on (i.e. copied and studied) pages from the Polish translation of no. 5, the Russian translation of no. 6, the Latin translation of no. 2 and and the Irish AND the Ancient Greek translations of no. 1 - though not the same pages in those last two. Hey, how did Ancient Greek enter the picture? Well, I don't study that kind of Greek, but I wanted to take the Irish book and accidentally got hold of the other - and then I thought it might be of interest to see exactly how much I could understand, and it was more than I had expected, but not enough to grasp the meaning without having a translation within reach.

GR:
Θυμάμαι μια φορά που διάβασα μια συνέντευξη (στην Αγγλικά) με τον Άντρου Βίλσον (Andrew Wilson) που έκανε την ασυνήθιστη μετάφραση. Επέλεξε να ακολουθήσει το ύφος του κλασικού συγγραφέα Λουκιάνος (περίπου το 120 έως το 180 μ.Χ.), ο οποίος ήταν πιο ελαφρύς στον τόνο και πιο χιουμοριστικός από τα πιο γνωστά ονόματα, Και αν ποτέ καταφέρω να μάθω Αρχαία Ελληνικά, θα προτιμούσα να διαβάσω τα ψέματα αληθινά ταξιδιωτικά του Λουκιανού παρά τον υπερεκτιμημένο Πλάτωνα ή τους περίτεχνους ιστορικούς. Μπορούσα να αναγνωρίσω αρκετές λέξεις στα παλιά κείμενα (με τη βοήθεια του πρωτότυπου!), οπότε το βασικό μου πρόβλημα ήταν στην πραγματικότητα οι μικρές γραμματικές λέξεις και οι εγκλίσεις. Έχω ένα παλιό λεξικό Langenscheidt με τρία τονικά σημεία (υπάρχει μόνο μια τονικό σημείο στην σύγχρονη Δημοτική), αλλά δεν ξέρω την αξία των άλλων διακριτικών σημείων. Αλλά έχω ένα βιβλίο από "Pocket" με 40 μαθήματα αρχαίων ελληνικών, οπότε ίσως αναβάλω την υπόλοιπη Ρόδο έως έχω διαβαστεί μερικά από αυτά τα μαθήματα. Και μετά τελείωσε - δεν έχω χρόνο να σπουδάσω και την αρχαία ελληνικά!

EN: Finally a short notice concerning my hardware: my old computer has not rebooted or frozen without warning since I opened it and removed the dust. Sometimes cleanliness is a good thing... I have however transferred my wireless headphones (which I can hear everywhere in my house) to my new computer because I tend to work with something when I work with the old one, and then it's less important that I have to stay within the reach of the cable to my old headphones. On the other hand the new laptop is better suited to contact with the internet (including Youtube) than the old geezer, and one of the purposes of the new arrangement is to permit me to listen to Youtube in my kitchen or bedroom..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:28 am

I have spent a couple of days doing irrelevant things. Wednesday was mainly spent on correcting all the typing (and occasional spelling) errors that infested my homemade biographies of composers in my music collection. At one point far back I found out that I didn't remember the whereabouts of some of the minor composers in the collection (which was smaller back then), and then I hacked down some short and sometimes slightly ironical biographies on my trusty old typewriter. And when I later transferred them to files I didn't have an OCR program to do the job so I just copyied them by hand - and because it had to be done in a haste they have always been riddled with (mostly) minor errors. So now I decided to revise the whole thing, and that took a whole day. At least I managed to read 15 pages in my guide to Rhodes in Geek before I fell asleep, but otherwise the whole day was spent on Danish.

Yesterday I first went to the city, among other things to have a look at the library, and there I read a couple of Danish sci mags and one about computers (because it promised me some tricks to the Windows 10 that I have on my new laptop), but also the first full litterary book in Danish I have read this year, the "Samlede ækle æventyr" by the in all ways irreverent and iconoclastic Rune T. Kidde. Mr. Kidde decided to make a comic book with drawings when he lost his eyesight - and that's the only book by him that I actually own: "Litterærlige klassikere", which is a 'readers digest' to all the supposedly great works of world literature, haha. So now I just might read/look at that once more to get my perceptions about world literature confirmed once more - be warned: my own placid comments to his acerbic comments may occur in this thread later. Now he's unfortunately dead. I also noted that the library among other things has a full shelf of nicely bound books in Romanian, but unfortunately it seems that it's just literature all of it. The same applies to the books in Croatian, Russian, Polish and other languages - and I couldn't find the two things I had hoped to find, namely an Ancient Greek dictionary and maybe a simple grammar that doesn't try to be a textbook too (I have put the 40 lessons back on the shelf).

And then my sister picked me up and abducted me to my homely abode where I had previously revealed that I had a store of pancakes with cardamum (her preferred variety). And when we had finished eating the pancakes and discussing the weather most of the day had gone. Then I should have studied, but I looked at my recently retuned piano and wondered how it might sound now - and whether I still could play a simple tune after twenty silent years (I stopped playing my instruments when I stopped composing in the mid 90s, and I stopped composing because I lost my patience with the people with whom I had been playing chamber music for several years). Now where I don't live in a flat in a highrise building any more but in a house far out in the countryside nobody can hear me play, so I hammered away at the instrument and got through the first six preludes and fugues by Big Bach, Vallée d'Obermann and parts of the h minor Sonata by Liszt (without the most difficult passages), two Lieder ohne Worte by Mendelssohn, a couple of things by Wagner and my own reduction to piano solo of an arrangement of John Denver for piano and James Galway (you remember John Denver? He built his own airplane and died when it crashed). After that I only managed to work my way through a short biography of the renaissance composer Michael Praetorius in Bulgarian - no Rhodes, just the direct flight to dodo dreamland.

Kunst099.JPG
10 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:55 am

Iversen wrote: (you remember John Denver? He built his own airplane and died when it crashed).

Yes, I do. His song titled Take Me Home, Country Road was very popular among Chinese people/students who can speak English in the mainland of China, especially those music fans of American Country.
2 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:30 am

John Denver did die flying a kit plane but he didn't build it himself, which makes the accident sound less asinine. But he did make other mistakes and I think he wasn't even licensed to fly because he had a drinking problem.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:53 pm

FR: En ce moment je regarde la chaine franco-allemande Arte sur ma télé avec 2 x Stadt-Land-Kunst avec des clips d'endroits tels que la Catalogne du Nord, Neuchâtel en Suisse, l'Arménie et l'Indonésie. En ce moment on parle de Clovis, que fonda le précurseur de France et la dynastie des mérovingiens. J'aurais préféré écouter les langues locales, mais comme d'autres chaînes de télé l'Arte a l'habitude énervante de laisser parler une voix (allemande car je suis sur le câble, mais le français est possible pour ceux qui ont une parabole qui fonctionne) en même temps que les voix originales. Por cette raison je regarde les programmes sans son avec les sous-titres français qu'on trouve sur le télé-texte sur la page 888. Je ne regarde généralement pas les chaînes sans sous-titres mais récemment quelqu'un a eu l'idée que TV5 de France devrait avoir des sous-titres en anglais - et j'aurais bien sûr préféré des sous-titres en français.

EN: Summarizing my language related activities yesterday is easily done - I slept too long because of the switch to that idiotic invention called summertime, and after that I read a stack old newspapers from earlier this month. In the afternoon I visited a nearby botanic garden with my sister, and I bought plants for the garden both to and from the place - which I then had to spend time on putting somewhere. I have also bought seeds that I now have put into the plastic trays I get get each time I buy spam in a supermarket, and then I can plant the shoots out in garden when the weather has become more clement and springlike - it's too cold now (we had one degree C frost this last night). Last year I did the same thing and got alot of sprouts, which I put in the earth outside - and then we got a three month long dry spell that killed them all. By the way, right now there is a hail shower outside that pummels the flowers I put there yesterday. Maybe I should have waited a couple of days. :(

GR: Το βράδυ έφτιαξα μερικές λίστες λέξεων σε σλαβικές γλώσσες και διάβασα περισσότερα για τη Ρόδο, αλλά τίποτα το ιδιαίτερο να αναφέρω.

The day before was more language oriented: I watched Italian TV before noon. First two ladies that talked to each other, but after that a Linea Verte from the area around Orvieto, and after that Passaggio a Nord Ovest with a lot of information about Annibale (Hannibal) and his elephants and how they got over the Alps.
IT: A proposito, penso ancora che sia stato un peccato che Annibale non abbia fatto a Roma quello che poi i barbari romani fecero a Cartago.
LAT: Praeclaros structores romanos tunc amitissimus, sed mercatores potius habuissimus. OK, Carthaginienses deo Moloch parvos liberos incendebant, at Romani pugnas gladiatorium habebant ut plebem crudeliter delectarent, ergo utraque abominabilis erat gens. Sic est historia - foeda. Tamen si Hannibal Romam vere delesserat, historia orbis terrarum alia spectavisset.

EN: In one of the threads here I mentioned an article by Mado Proverbio about the end of the free lunch in language learning (5 years according to her), and when I looked for the article I also found Stevicks book "Success with foreign languages" , and then I reread it from A to Z. It is essentially 2x7 interviews with some very different language learners, and sometimes I can identify with something one of them has done, but never with everything they did to learn those languages - and I had forgotten how much Krashenology there was in it (and how it purported to see things from the angle of the learner, but the dark shadow of a teacher was rarely far away). One of the things I noticed was Derek's use of something akin to my own green sheets:

I soon realized I’d have to find some way of handling certain aspects of Finnish grammar. I don’t recall such a thought in regard to either German or Russian. I was able to just take those languages as they were presented.’
‘You discovered that this time, you’d have to find a way for yourself.’
‘Yes. For example, I can cite one technique that I don’t recall having used in either German or Russian. It was to devise tables which would present to me all of the significant inflections of the nouns and the verbs.’
‘Devise tables?’ I thought. ‘Carla could never have done this! And there’s no evidence that Ann or Bert did, either. ’ ‘Inflections,’ I repeated. ‘You mean the basic form of a noun or verb with all its endings and combinations of endings.’ ‘That’s right. And these tables let me see on one sheet of paper what was happening in the structure.’
‘You got a bird’s-eye view,’ I said.
‘Yes. And by so doing I was able to isolate what, for my memory process at least, were key distinctive features.’
‘That is, the features that you had to notice if you were going to keep track of what was going on.’

I couldn't have said that better myself - except that I also have made sheets for Russian - and that I don't share Kevin's prediliction for doing dreary drills.

And speaking about bird's eye views: I have one of those American channels where private researchers try to find cryptozoological critters which all have been seen by a lot of local residents, but the researchers for some reason never succeed in finding them. I just saw bits of a repeat of a programme from yesterday about the 'thunder bird' of Alaska, which in theory might be the extinct Teratornis or one of its relatives - so now I have to read some more about this group of ginormous flying birds instead of studying languages as I had planned. And just for fun I'm going to use the article in the Czech Wikipedia for this purpose (with a suitable translation in something less incomprehensible).

Teratornis (Czech Wikipedia).jpg
7 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:32 pm

I also slept too long (or thought I had). Old-fashioned clock in bedroom read '8am', phone clock '9am'. I also thought it was Tuesday and therefore late for an appointment. When I realised it was Monday the day improved immeasurably and I leisurely made some coffee. :) I almost feel like I got revenge on 'daylight saving time' robbing me of an hour.

Quant à TV5, je ne le regarde plus autant ces jours, mais n'y a-t-il plus du tout de sous-titres en français ? Je regarde Arte via MediaThek et on peut choisir toutes les émissions sans ou avec des sous-titres.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:12 pm

FR: Comme mon opératur de câble me serve TV5 il n'a pas de télétexte (à TF2 non plus) et pas de sous-titres en français, donc il se peut que c'est l'opérateur qui les ajoute - et en Anglais. Mes chaines Anglophones et Scandinaves (!) ont des sous-titres en Danois, et c'est donc sûr qu'ils ne proviennent pas des chaines en question. Mais je suis bien content parce que je peut alors écouter de la musique que j'ai choisi moi-même. Les chaines allemandes et scandinaves plus RaiUno et TVE (d'Espagne) ont leur propres sous-titres par télétexte. C'est un peu compliqué, mais je m'y suis habitué - et comme je disait, les sous-titres me permettent d'écouter de la musique que j'aime bien au lieu du pop americain ou autres sortes de bruits. En ce moment j'écoute des oeuvres de Delius, hier c''etait 3 heures de Delibes, autant d'heures de musique baroque de Michel Renard Delalande et avant ça environ 8 heures de Debussy. Comme on le voit, ma collection de musique est organisée l'alphabétiquement d'après les noms des compositeurs, et il faut beaucoup de temps pour écouter tout ce qu'il y a.

EN: By the way, even though I don't like most of what they show on TV I do have it running all the time, and sometimes I stop the music to listen to something.

GER: Vorgestern gab es im ZDF eine Sendung über Schlaf und Träume mit einer Dame namens Mai, die plötzlich saß und mit dem einen oder anderen Traumforscher sprach – etwa mit Freud, mit dem sie nicht ganz einer Meinung war (ich auch nicht). Eines der bemerkenswertesten Dinge in dieser Sendung war eine ziemlich gute Berichterstattung über das Phänomen der Klarträume (aka luziden Träume) - vielleicht, weil die Mai sie selbst erlebt hat?. Dies sind Träume, bei denen der Träumer weiß, daß er oder sie träumt und manchmal selbst in die Ereignisse eingreiftt, um beispielsweise einen potenziellen Albtraum in einen angenehmen Traum zu verwandeln. Alles in allem eine so gute Sendung, daß ich Debussy pausieren ließ.

DK: Og lige nu ser jeg 2x Historiequizzen på DR2 - med danske undertekster...

Kunst043.JPG
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

Iversen wrote:GER: Vorgestern gab es im ZDF eine Sendung über Schlaf und Träume mit einer Dame namens Mai, die plötzlich saß und mit dem einen oder anderen Traumforscher sprach – etwa mit Freud, mit dem sie nicht ganz einer Meinung war (ich auch nicht). Eines der bemerkenswertesten Dinge in dieser Sendung war eine ziemlich gute Berichterstattung über das Phänomen der Klarträume (aka luziden Träume) - vielleicht, weil die Mai sie selbst erlebt hat?. Dies sind Träume, bei denen der Träumer weiß, daß er oder sie träumt und manchmal selbst in die Ereignisse eingreiftt, um beispielsweise einen potenziellen Albtraum in einen angenehmen Traum zu verwandeln. Alles in allem eine so gute Sendung, daß ich Debussy pausieren ließ.
Arte have an interesting documentary about consciousness. If I recall correctly they suggest dreams are the product of consciousness working without input from our senses. Les pouvoirs du cerveau - Déchiffrer la conscience (German).

Antonio Damasio appeared at the start of the programme, and I've ordered one of his books.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”