Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 pm

EN: I have just returned from almost three weeks abroad, including a weeklong Esperanto conference in Lille, and it seems that both the old HTLAL and this new site - which I'll refer to as not-HTLAL (without any shred of irony) - have been running smoothly in the meantime.

I definitely want to continue my log thread at the old HTLAL, which already has grown to monumental size and contains information that reminds me about just about any linguistic endeavour in which I have been involved since November 2008. On the other hand this new not-HTLAL upstart has shown a surprising degree of vitality already, and I'll do my part to keeping it going by starting a similar thread here.

Time will tell whether I can find material enough to tell about in both places, but so far I don't see a problem there: after a whole week spent in Esperantistan and stays in both halves of Belgium I have a quite few things to report. Besides I'm thinking about writing something about some of my paintings in the relevant languages. I did something like that in the old thread, but the site with the picture files has closed down, so the pictures there have become invisible. Here at not-HTLAL it seems that pictures within reason can be uploaded to the site itself, and that makes it logical to place this projekt here. Ahem, I actually also made some videos about them (as "NJLIversen"), although that was not a success, but I ascribe that to the chasm between those who like art and those who like languages. Anyway, I have stopped making videos, and I felt out-of-place already when I made them so I don't feel like restarting that activity. As for my travel articles (almost exclusively in Danish) the layout of the homepage containing them has deteriorated. All my musical compositions are to be found at IMSLP - apart from those that I have destroyed along the way.

And just for reference: the link to my old log thread at HTLAL is http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12983&PN=1&TPN=1, and in the first post there I have references to my Guide to Learning Languages. Those things will of course stay at HTLAL until it expires. I stopped adding to my log at HTLAL September 2015 because it seemed futile to do so with visitor numbers thundering downwards. Nevertheless the thread has only sunk down to page 2 on the list over log threads. The latest statistics: 495 pages, 3956 messages, 98% visitors and allegedly 6.664.400 visitors. But this last number is ridiculous - it began to rise explosively at the end of 2014, with some 10.000 fake daily visitors. I do think the first 2.000.000 visitors were real because the numbers grew at a regular rate since I started the thread in 2008, but everything beyond that must be due to some programming error.

Update (feb 02, 2016): I have made a log thread here on LLORG called "Iversen's Guide to Learning Languages (version 3b)", which as the title says contains a revised version of the guide I published at HTLAL. The whole guide has now been uploaded (118 pages in MSWord), but unfortunately that also means that it will sink like a stone down the list over active threads because there won't be added new chapters to it. You are always welcome to make comments about it (and point out errors or weak points), but please use this thread to do so.

Update (aug 8, 2016): I have now also posted a thread with 6 posts about Google Translate. I would also like to mention my travesty in French alexandrines on Racine's Phèdre, which you find at page 24-25 in this thread. I wrote it during my time at the Institute for Romance languages at Århus University in the 70s - now this institute has been gobbled up and hidden under 'other languages' under 'arts' - mors vincit omnia!

Update (nov 3, 2023): I have tentatively started a special thread for my green grammar sheets

Et enfin j'ai choisi d'incluire une histoire multilingue de la musique occidentale dans ce carnet. Il faut s'amuser, hein?

A few other relevant (or maybe not) links:
My compositions on IMSLP (music)
my travel club DBK ('De Berejstes klub') (travel articles - but not shown in a userfriendly way)
My account on Youtube (utterly boring videos)
15 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Iversen second multiconfused log thread

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Welcome aboard. It would be good to see the pictures. Nice to have an artist among us. :D
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Not The Real HTLAL just didn't seem like Not The Real HTLAL without you, Iversen. Looking forward to being multiconfused again :D
5 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:25 pm

It's great to have you back Iversen, and to be able to read your posts again. I'm looking forward to your Esperanto reports, and to finding out about your other travel adventures. Hard to imagine how many languages may have been involved in those three weeks.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:31 pm

EO: La unua tago (sabato) de la Universala Kongreso oni povis sin prezenti kaj ricevi la gravegan platon, sen kiu oni ne povas eniri en la kongresejo (kiu tiu-ci jaro estis la Granda Palaco de Lillo en Francio). Plie ĵuskomencintoj povas partopreni en kunveno por ĵuskomencintoj, sed ne multa alio okazas dum la unua tago. Pro tio mi vizitis muzeojn kaj kirkojn kaj la bestoĝardenon de Lillo, kiu estas senpaga kaj situas en fortreso konstruita de Vaubano. Nur en la vespera estis denove vizitinda ajo, nome la Movada Foiro, kie la diversaj submovadoj, naciaj asocioj kaj kursofertistoj povas prezentigi liajn projektojn.

La dua tago ĉiame komencas kun "Solena Inaŭguro", sed me ne grandege ŝatas aŭskulti solenajn paroladojn pri obskuraj motoj kaj la mondpaco -kaj malŝatas ankoraŭ pli aŭskulti la tradician esparantan himnon. Pro tio mi trovis ankaŭ tempon por viziti la Muzeon de la Belaj Artojn de la urbo kaj ja ĉeesti a la tradicia vico, kie la gvidantoj de la naciaj asocioj prezentas sin kaj siajn gratulojn pri la Kongreso. Post la tagmezo mi aŭskultis prelegojn pri Alain de Lille kaj pri gemelaj urboj.

La tria tago okazas ĉiam "Kleriga lundo", kies ĉeftemo estas la praktika uzado kaj instruado de la lingvo Esperanto. Mi aŭskultis prelegoj de prosoverkistoj, tradukistoj kaj aliaj. Okazis ankaŭ parolkursoj por komencantoj kaj por daŭrigantoj, sed me sukcesis eviti ĝin. Bedaŭrinde oni ne povis tute eviti la kantaĉistoj, ĉar en la plej granda halo estis estis podio por ilij - kaj ilij uzis ĝin!

La kvara tago mi aŭskultis longan serion de prelegoj sub la komuna titolo "Tago de Lernado", kun temoj kiel la franca eduksistemo, edukeksperimento usona name AMO, kiel plej efike lerni esperanton (kaj jes, tiu-ci ankaŭ implikas lerni gramatikon) kaj lernmetodoj uzante modernan teknologion kun Katalin Kovacs, kiu ankaŭ estis nelacigebla instruistino de la Esperantaj kursoj dum la kongreso.

La sesa tago okazis simila perelserio pri Esperantologia, la studo de lingvo disvolviĝo kaj dezajno. Ĉi tie oni diskutis ankaŭ aliajn planlingvojn, kaj mi aĉetis dum la kongreso libreton pri la historio de volapuko. Ci tiu lingvo havis komence grandegan ukceso, sed baldaŭ la movado preskaŭ tuta kolapsis - kaj ne estis la efekto de Esperanto kiu okazis tion (esperanto estis tiam tre nova kaj relative maluzata). La kulpo de la kolapso kutime atribuitiĝas al kvereloj inter la inventinto Johann Martin Schleyer kaj aliaj gravaj figuroj en la movado, kiu interalie kondukis al la konstruo de malsamaj formoj de la lingvo. Sed mi kredas ke la kvereloj havis tiam de gravaj efektoj pro tio ke Volapuko ĉiaaspeca estas tute nekomprenebla por ĉiuj eksepte tiuj kiuj kun ekstrema malfacileco lernis ĝin. Mi povas atesti tion post la studio de la tekstan ekzemploj en la supramentita libron.

Posttagmeze mi ĉeestis al la scienca kafejo en alia konstruaĵo. La temoj estis sufiĉe interesaj, sed mi ne kredas ke estas bona ideo meti iujn prelegojn dek minutoj marŝe de la ĉefa kongresejo.

La sepa tago mi komencis ĉeestinta al tre interesa, sed ankaŭ tre komplika prelego sur la pozicio de la hitita lingvo en rilato kun la rekonstruita pra-hindeŭropa lingvo. Kaj se vi povas diskuti tiun temon en Esperanto, ne estas multa kiun oni ne povas diskuti en tiu ĉi lingvo. Sed estis bedaŭrinde ankaŭ mia lasta aktiveco dum la Kongreso, ĉar dum la posttagmezo mi preferis viziti la zoologikan ĝardenon de Maubeuge, kaj sabaton mi forveturis al Monso en Belgio sen atendi la formalan fermon kun la neevitebla kantado de la solena Esperanto-himnaĉo..

Parenteze, iuj eble rimarkis ke mi ne menciis neniajn agadojn en la kvina tago supre? Ĉi tio estas ĉar ĝi estis la tradicia tagon de ripozo, sed mi utiligis ĉi tago oni por ĝiro al la proksimaj belgaj urboj de Tournaio, Kortrijko kaj Iepero, kie mi vizitis kvion muzeojn, du kirkojn, unu bibliotekon, kvar fervojaj stacidomoj kaj plurajn butikojn.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:00 am

EN: I'm trying out the image attachment mechanism now, and I have chosen a picture of my sister's late cat, which was named "Humle" ('hop' in English). It died after a meeting with a veterinarian, who shouldn't have been allowed to practice.

Y19.JPG

The further plans for this part of the thread is that I first will present a few early paintings to get some chronology settled, and then I'll take the paintings which most clearly are language related, including my 'language series', where each painting illustrated a language through one author (and maybe just one work by that author). Then there are some paintings which clearly belong to a sphere that suggests a specific language, like a painting made after a voyage to Chile, where I came home and discovered that the shutter in my camera hadn't worked. I haven't quite decided what to do about my painting of a bicycle rickshaw from Thailand - I doubt that I'll have time to learn Thai in the foreseeable future. But now you know what to expect. And in between there will of course be the usual blend of language related messages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Iversen

It's great that you have your log here as well. :)

poor Humle. He seems a sweet cat, with a tail like the lemur ones.

Typical that I lived 22 years in wallonia, then you visit there when I live in London!!! How was it, and where were you? I think that you told me in an emial that it would be Mons. Namur is the capital, of course.

Dan ben je ook in Vlaanderen geweest, misschien Brugge en Gent?

Ich würde gerne nochmals deine Bilder sehen, die du gemalt hast.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:23 am

FR: Tommus s'est demandé combien de langues j'ai utilisées pendant mon voyage - et la reponse est: cinq seulement (plus quelques textes brèves dans les musées). A la maison le nombre aurait été beaucoup plus élévé, mais à moins que l'itinéraire passe par un congrès polyglot le but d'un voyage sur le niveau linguistique n'est pas d'utiliser le plus grand nombre de languages possible, mais de se laisser immerger dans une langue à la fois, jusqu'au point où on peut penser constamment dans cette langue - et peut-être même peut avoir des conversations. C'est cela que je définis comme un voyage monolinguiste (cfr ma liste de langues). Mais il faut avouer que je passe plus de temps à visiter des musées et jardins zoologiques que de parler avec des gens dans tel ou tel bar.

Pour illustrer un jour tout à fair ordinaire je vais vous décrire mon séjour à Paris (et non, je ne dis pas que 1½ journée suffit - il faut du moins une semaine pour une ville de cette taille).

Je suis arrivé à Charles de Gaulle mercredi après-midi et suis allé a mon hotel près du Jardin de Luxembourg avec le train RER et le métro - l'autobus de Airfrance coûte beaucoup plus et n'est pas plus vite. Le lendemain je suis allé au jardin, qui est plein de reines et autres dames fameuses - il faut vraiment savoir son histoire française pour savoir pourqoi chacune des ces illustres femelles est là, et je suis en effet surpris par example de trouver Mary Stuart dans cette compagnie. J'ai continué ma promenade au Pantheon (sans y entrer) et aux Arènes. Mais hélas, j'avais espéré un peu plus de ce lieu - peut-être pas comme l'arène d'Arles, mais ... Et puis je suis allé au Jardin de Plantes, qui effectivement contient des plantes, mais aussi du moins quatre gros bâtiments avec des expositions sur des thèmes biologiques et une ménagerie qui malgré le nom est un vrai zoo (et malgré son nom pas le pire de son genre). Elle fut créée en 1793 et seulement le zoo à Vienne en Autriche est plus vieux. Après la ménagerie j'ai visité la Grande Galérie, dite de l'Évolution, mais qui contient plutôt des collections sur la faune actuelle du planète. Au milieu du siècle passé, dans une periode où des obscurantistes avait beaucoup d'influence et les aficionados des musées et jardins zoologiques pas assez, tout le complexe du Jardin des Plantes était près d'être fermé, et cette galérie particulière était en effet fermé pendant les années 70s où je visitais Paris beaucoup de fois comme interrailiste. Mais maintenant elle a été rouverte et je l'ai vu pour la première fois - hourra! L'autre galérie que j'ai visitée cette fois était la Galérie de la Paléontologie où le rez-de-chaussée est plein des mêmes animaux que dans la Grande Galérie, mais ici comme squelettes. Sur la première étage on trouve la paléontologie, et pour vraiment saisir l'importance de cette collection il faut savoir qu'elle a été fondée par le père de la paléontologie, le grand Cuvier lui-même.

J'ai visité le gare d'Austerlitz après pour acheter mon billet pour Lille le jour après, et c'était peut-être une faute - j'ai acheté un billet pour un TGV à 13.00 heures vendredi, mais j'aurais aussi bien pu acheter un pour un train plus tard, et alors j'aurais au eu un demijour de plus à Paris, où il y a quand-même plus de choses a visiter qu'à Lille! Bon ben, jacta est alea, j'ai commis une sottise, mais j'ai du moins eu assez de temps le lendemain pour visiter le zoo au Bois de Vincennes et l'Aquarium Tropical dans le sous-sol du Palais de la Porte Dorée avant de me rendre à la gare du Nord et Lille Flandres. Quant au programme actuel du jeudi j'aurais pu continuer par métro, mais j'ai préfére me promener le long de la Seine jusqu'à Notre Dame, où j'ai vu à mon horreur une queue de quelques centaines de mètres de touristes qui attendaient pour entrer. Y'a des limites, et j'ai continué au Louvre sans visiter la vielle dame. Au Louvre il y avait aussi une queue énorme, mais je l'avais prévu et suis finalement entré dans ce lieu sacré, que je n'avait visité depuis 1991 (où l'aile vers rue de Rivoli toujours était occupé par des viles bureaucrates). Et j'ai passé le reste de l'après-midi dans ce musée inépuisable. Mais non, je n'ais jamais daigné me mettre devant Mona Lisa pour avoir un regard sur cette toile qu'on peut voir comme copie ou travestie en tant d'autres lieux, et je ne l'ai vue cette fois non plus. Il est beaucoup plus logique de se mettre devant quelques-unes des milliers de chef-d'oeuvres d'art ou archéologie qui ne JAMAIS seront publiées partout.

Ahem, la cuisine française... J'ai bu un litre de lait au milieu du jour, et j'ai mangé un sac de petits yaourts et autres comestibles que j'ai achetés dans un supermarché près de mon hotel. Et à Lille j'avais loué un studio, et donc je n'avais pas besoin de me rendre dans la ville pour trouver quelque chose à manger. Il y'avait un Carrefour près de la gare, et là il y avait plus de comestibles que je n'aie pu manger même si j'avais l'appetit de monsieur Pantagruel.

FranskMad.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:32 pm

I remember your paintings. I loved them! I'm looking forward to seeing them again and reading the stories behind them. You are very talented.
1 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Iversen wrote:La tria tago okazas ĉiam "Kleriga lundo", kies ĉeftemo estas la praktika uzado kaj instruado de la lingvo Esperanto. Mi aŭskultis prelegoj de prosoverkistoj, tradukistoj kaj aliaj. Okazis ankaŭ parolkursoj por komencantoj kaj por daŭrigantoj, sed me sukcesis eviti ĝin. Bedaŭrinde oni ne povis tute eviti la kantaĉistoj, ĉar en la plej granda halo estis estis podio por ilij - kaj ilij uzis ĝin!

Ŝajnas al mi, ke vi volis eviti multe de la kongreso. Mi esperas, ke vi ŝatis pli da la aktivecoj ol mi komprenas de via raporto. Multan dankon por rakontante al ni pri la kongreso!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”