Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:38 am

Earlier this year I made a series of MSWord files with Latin and (mostly) English names, a small image and some supplementary information for an assortment of vertebrates, interspersed with cladograms that show the phylogenetic relationships between the species in the system (including some extinct ones). I recently decided to make sure that the animals in an old book series from Politiken which I bought in the late 60s also occurred in my personal digital selection with their Danish names according to the old books. I had expected this to be fairly easy, but it has turned out to be a fairly complicated affair because the clados have been revised in the meantime with data from DNA analyses - and also because the zoologists don't always agree. And one supplementary problem is that the commercial aquarium business to some extent functions independently from the museum zoologists. Even the one thing you should be able to trust, namely the scientific Latin names, aren't always a safe guide.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time on the cat fish and their relatives, and maybe half the species in the book weren't found in the English Wikipedia (where I found all the clados) - but then sometimes in other sources, and then you have to judge whether the information there could be reconciled with that of Wikipedia (it might simply be outdated, but also the result of a real disagreement among the learned ones). And in some cases I had to leave out a species in the book because I couldn't see where it belonged in the current scientific nomenclature.

I do all this to get a better overview over the world of the vertebrates, and in a sense it alsso has something to do with language learning because I learn a lot of new animal names. And I learn about some really weird critters, like the Saccopharynx ("pelikanål" in Danish), who live in absolute darkness down in the ocean, where they have to be able to eat whatever they accidentally run into - and therefore they have enormous mouths and flexible stomachs that in extreme cases can contain prey that is larger than the fish itself.

So it is quite fitting that when I turned my attention to languages in the evening I first studied a Serbian text about the ..

SER: .. морском демону или фанфин риби (енглески: anglerfish), која је такође једна од ових инвентивних дубокоморских риба. Лежи на морском дну, машући црволиком израслином на пипку, а када глупа риба дође да поједе мамац, отвори своја велика уста и увуче га у стомак – њам њам!

EN: The deepest fish seen to date seems to be a snailfish that swam happily around in the Mariana trench at 8143 m - and it was filmed so you can see it with your own eyes at Youtube. And by the way, it is actually wrong to speak about fish as a group that contains both lampreys, sharks and your average cod. The phylogenetic distance between the lamprey and your fish 'n chips is at least as big as the phylogenetic distance between the cod and you.

BU: Проучио сам и бугарски текст о тржном центру у граду Силистра, који никада нисам посетио – али сам пронашао неки материјал о местима у њему и користим га као материјал за учење.

Pelikanål med mere.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:27 pm

Today's program: first I wrote the message above, then I studied a lot of fish - caps, and there ia an INSANE number of carps in the world! - , then I had something to eat ... and when most of the day had passed and the sun had set I finally turned to do a bit of language learning (while listening to music of R.Strauß, Stravinsky, Suk and Suppé - in alphabetical order).

First I continued the study of deepsea monster fish with the article about Anglerfish from the Serbian Wikipedia, and then I switched to the general article about fish in the Albanian Wikipedia - and didn't I tell this very morning that the word "fish" is used about a far too large range of critters? Well, the message hasn't reached Albania. I used of course a bilingual printout (with the translation into Catalan), and it was just as well - if I really should became adept at reading Albanian, then I should spend more time on the language, but at least I can get through an article about a wellknown topic with a little bit of help. The quantitative measure of my fragile skills is the number of new words that accumulate in the right margin, and I had to double the space there - not good!

From Albanian to Romanian, which is a totally different cup of tea - here I hardly needed the translation, and I only jotted a few really new things down - and one was the name "curmal japonez" for a persimmon fruit (or kaki). Did I write fruit? Well, that thing is actually a berry, though a rather big one (like the banana)...

RO: Articolul spune că acest fruct a fost descris științific pentru prima dată în 1780, dar chinezii l-au cultivat timp de două mii de ani - așa că ar fi fost mai potrivit să-i denumim după ei. Dar se pare că poți spune pur și simplu "kaki” în limba română. De asemenea, se spune că copacii masculi nu trebuie să fertilizeze copacii femele pentru a obține fructe, dar în acest caz vor fi mai puține semințe în fruct - ceea ce ar putea fi un avantaj. Ceea ce se numește "sharon" în magazinele este de fapt o variantă de kakiil unde s-au îndepărtat semințele. Kaki are, de altfel, un obicei neobișnuit: copacii formează o mulțime de semințe, dar cele mai multe le aruncă înainte de a fi coapte prin două "căderi" mari. Dar fertilizarea ar trebui să reducă procentul de fructe de pierdute. Și curmali necoapți sunt de fapt otrăvitori: pot forma aglomerări tari de bezoar în stomacul oamenilor – așa că așteptați până când sunt copți.

DU: Trouwens, de vertaling was in het Nederlands, dus aangezien ik het niet echt had gebruikt, stond ik mezelf de luxe toe om het door te lezen om mijn Nederlands te verbeteren. Ik wist tenminste dat 'persimmons' in het Nederlands ook dadelpruimen kunnen genoemd worden.

GR: Στη συνέχεια μελέτησα ένα άρθρο για τη γαστρονομία στο νησί της Ικαρίας από το ανεξάντλητο περιοδικό "Blue", και ...

EN: after the Greek culinary article I transcribed some more Georgian, and then I sat down to write this. But the studying has not quite ended for today: Inspired by the C1 thread I'm right now listening to a 'prelego' in Esperanto about ...

EO: .. "Sukcesoj kaj perspektivoj en planedoscienco kun Loïc Rossi. Li ĵus nun diris, ke nur unu satelito efektive alteriĝis sur la surfacon de Venuso, kaj ĝi disiĝis post kelkaj minutoj. Estas pli saĝe flosi en la atmosfero kun balonoj. Ĝi estas prelego kun publiko, kaj mi do pensis, ke la publiko estas problemo – oni aŭdas tro multe bruojn, tusojn kaj eĉ tute malzorgema parolado (bedaŭrinde, estas ne permesite miregigi tumultajn aŭskultantojn per venenaj sagetoj :evil: )- sed mi ĉiuokaze ne havas problemon kompreni la prelegon.

AF: Die laaste oefensessie vanaand sal 'n hoofstuk of twee te lees uit die boek "Waar die leeus Afrikaans verstaan" met artikels uit die tydskrif "Weg" - en aangesien dat ek nou tuis in my eie woonstel is, het ek dit op my geneem om die klein woordeboek van Pharos binne bereik te hê. Ek het dit gemis toe ek een bietjie uit die boek in my ma se huis gelees het.

Carps & co.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:16 am

I normally don't delve into the mysteries of Anglosaxon, but I was lured into doing so by some claims about its later stages in the thread about levels of specificity in the morphologies in different languages, and then I ended up spending several hours looking for and studying authentic writings from England in the 11. century - that's life..

But in that thread it was also discussed why Standard High German has retained its old cases and widespread use of the Subjunctive ("Konjunktiv"), contrary to the situation in other Germanic languages in Europe (apart from Icelandic, which is spoken on an isolated island). And there I asked whether anybody actually had read anything in the dialects and related Germanic languages spoken in the Holy Roman Empire before Luther. The question was whether the dialect that Luther used for his Bible translation was more conservative than the other variants of German already back then, and if not, whether any of the other variants actually were simplified after Luther had translated the bible, which ultimately resulted in the 30 years war that devasted much of central Europe - and we are, as you know, being told that turmoil favours simplification of languages.

I wrote that I didn't have time to do any research myself, but apparently my willpower is as soft as cooked macaroni. I found out that uni-hamburg has publish an immense "Referenzkorpus Mittelniederdeutsch/Niederrheinisch (1200–1650)" which would be an ideal place to search, but you have to access those texts through a system called Annis, which purports to install something on your computer - so that door was closed. :? Then I found some excerpts from a juridical text called Sachsenspiegel (from 1220—1235) on Wikisource, and the first thing that surprised me there was that it was fairly easy to read. The following excerpt has the expected cases etc., but the one thing that strikes me is the way the ge- is separate from the root of the verb in what later becomes "gehört" - when did ge- fuse with the participle in High German and Dutch/Flemish?

Al schat under der erde begraven diepher den eyn pluch geit horet zu der koninclichen gewalt.
Silver ne mut och niemant brechen uph eynes anderen mannes gude, ane des willen, des die stat is;

I have to leave further studies for later. NB: The facsimile below is borrowed from http://www.sachsenspiegel-online.de/. I'm glad that I don't have to read it from the original manuscript... (PS: how much is one 'Pluch'?)

Sachsenspiegel.jpg

PS: I found some texts in Old Saxon (the forerunner or Low German) on a homepage from uni Frankfurt, but I simply have to stop writing now... and this stuff is much harder to understand than the Sachsenthing:

Line: 1 Confessio. Ik giuhu goda alomahtigon fadar. Endi / allon sinon
Line: 4 helagon vuihethon. Endi thi godes manne. / allero minero sundiono.3
Line: 5 thero the ik githahta. endi / gisprak. endi gideda. fan thiu
Line: 6 the ik erist sundia / uuerkian bigonsta. Ok iuhu ik so huat so ik
Line: 7 thes gi/deda thes vuithar mineru cristinhedi uuari. endi / vuithar minamo
Line: 8 gilouon uuari. endi vuithar / minemo bigihton uuari. endi uuithar
Line: 9 minemo mestra // Ms. page: 204 v uuari. endi vuithar minemo herdoma uuari. endi /
Line: 10 uuithar minemo rehta uuari.
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:16 pm

I have been busy with other things in my mother's house the last couple of days, but at least I have now started to use my new laptop for something sensible (like paying bills), but I have still not installed any office suite so there are some documenttypes I can't access (like doc and xls) - and I don't really feel like jumping down the 365 gully of Microsoft. I have read that there is a version of the program which you can install on your own computer, but an alternative could be libra office -(if it still exists) - it can read the doc format and it can write pdf's, but I wouldn't use it to update my macro loaded excel files. I can however read pdfs already now, and once upon a time I downloaded a "CORSO DI ISLANDESE MODERNO" aka "Kennslubók í Nútíma Íslensku handa Ítölum" by Riccardo Venturi, assisted by Rikarður V. Albertsson. The author tells about the scarcity of Icelandic courses in Italy and names his own teachers, and I have to say that an Icelandic grammar in Italian isn't what you would be expect to find - insofar anybody studies anything it's Old Norse and not Modern Icelandic. But kudos to a brave man.

I knew I had this Kennslubók, and when I downloaded years ago it I also read some of it, but I'm generally more comfortable reading books on paper, and then it somehow slipped out of my mind. Nevertheless I have now peeked here and there and my conclusion is that it seems to be an excellent work. It starts out with several chapters about Iceland and its history, literature and politics in Italian (plus a few quotes in various languages and a short version of the preface in Icelandic plus a bibliography). The actual grammar only starts at page 53 (out of 645). I have so far read the first 44 pages in one go, but since I don't have it as a paper book it will be take a lot of time at the screen to read the last 600 pages or so - so maybe I'll just run through the bulk and read a few passages more attentively - however it had deserved a better fate.

IC: Ég hef farið til Íslands þrisvar sinnum. Í fyrstu ferðinni heimsótti ég 'Gullna hringinn' í skoðunarferð, en síðustu tvær hef ég aðeins dvalið í Reykjavík - í þriðja og hingað til síðasta skiptið sem ég var þar vegna ráðstefnunnar fjöltyngdra einstaklinga 2017 og ég nýtti mér þar reglu sem nokkrir kaupmenn og stofnanir höfðu lofað að virða, nefnilega að ef útlendingar ávarpa þá á íslensku þarf einnig að svara þeim á íslensku. Og ég gat almennt gert mig skiljanlegan - en það varð heldur ekki eintyngt ferðalag að þessu sinni.En síðustu fimm árin hef ég ekki haft tækifæri til að tala íslensku.

EN: I found also an "Albanian Familiarization Course" as a pdf on my external drive, and I ran through the first ten or so lessons, but I'm generally not terribly fond of the textbook format. And besides an acquantaince lend me some books about the area where my mother's house is placed, so I also spent some time on one af those - but those books are in Danish.

F3837a02 - Halmfridi Sigurdsdottir (Þjodminnasafn).jpg
7 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:38 pm

LibreOffice still exists. I use the mac version.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:05 pm

My goodnight reading yesterday was a couple of chapters from the Afrikaans book with articles from Weg, and they were not all equally interesting. Two of them were written by people who wrote of their fascination with bikes and cars they had possessed in the past, and it's not something I feel in the same way myself. Actually I have stopped reading the car insert in my newspaper because it only waffles about the new (and expensive) electric cars - while they deftly avoid discussing the problem that the substances that make up the batteries come from a small number of uncertain locations on the planet, and that you make CO2 when you produce those batteries. I did however find one article amusing: it was written by a lady who had been on a car trip in a desolate area in ZA, and the the transmission broke down - it could only drive backwards, so they had to backtrack several hundred kilometers to a town where there was a car repair shop. I hope that there will be more travelogue-like articles like that later on, and until then I just fall asleep slightly faster.

Today I have spent most of my study time on Slovak. Actually I had planned to do text studies in several Slavic languages, but I found several pages in Slovak from earlier sessions with new words jotted down in the margin, and then I made wordlists based on those words. This is a worthwhile occupation by any standard,but not very interesting to hear about so I'll spare you the details.

And apart from that I have partly rewritten and expanded the section of my 'fish files' that dealt with the Scorpaeniformes. The process is that I go through my Danish fishbook from the back (= the more primitive critters), and then I check that at least the Danish species are in my files - and also the bulk of the foreign ones in the book. In this way I trace a long forgotten path back to the studies of vertebrate nomenclature from my teen years (where I didn't have the internet to my disposal yet). And I can live with the loss of a few species, which may have changed their Latin name or been reassigned to other species as subspecies - there are many possible causes. But then I discovered that I missed an iconic species like the lumpsucker ("stenbider"='stone biter' in Danish, with the name "kvabso" for the bulky female), and then I discovered that I also had skipped all the poisoneous stone fish and some other weird and precious fishes from that part of the animal kingdom, so then I had to add them to the file. But I also included a lot of scorpion fish before I realized that I already had mentioned them in the file dealing with the Percomorpha, which is an enormously large and unmanageable group of fish. And that file was already too large, so I had to split it and remove all the duplicates. And before I was through that process several hours had passed, and I didn't feel like studying anything more.

DA: Stenbideren er en meget velkendt fisk i Danmark, og jeg mindes fra min barndom at vores famile familie prøvede at spise den - men det var ingen succes. Dens kød er svampet og væmmeligt, og den lugter grimt. Men rognen kan bruges som erstatning for rogn fra stører, og det er nok den væsentligste grund til at den stadig fiskes.

EN: And by the way: I may end up installing the LIbre Office package on my new PC. I have an old version installed on my old PC, where I have used it to produce the pdf's with my musical compositions, which I uploaded to a site called IMSLP a couple of years ago. Way back when I still worked as a computer something in public service I was appointed to make a comparison between MS Office and the Libre suite to find out whether the latter could be offered for free to for instance employees that didn't have to write all day long. And the result was positive, but at the end of the day nobody wanted a free suite when they could get one that cost money - a question of prestige, maybe, but also a wish to have everybody using the same package.

Lumpsucker.jpg
8 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Nothing much to tell this time. I'm busy cleaning up my mother's house so that I can get space for my own things - presumably the big migration will happen sometime in December. And among the things that have to go is a heap of novels in translation from a book club which she was a member of half a century ago ... and unfortunately they fill out the space where I have planned to put my dictionaries and grammars. Regarding space: the thing that worries me most is to find a place to put my 60 big photo albums, the complete Groves dictionary of Music and the history book series of Grimberg (the world) and Politiken (just Denmark). And then I also have a few hundred travel guides to deal with. But not today..

I spent yesterday evening compiling Greek wordlist with around 200 words, and I have read a few pages more of the Kennslub which I mentioned recently. But my study activity is not overwhelming right now - I am too exhausted when we reach the evening hours. And for my night reading I have got a book in Danish about the Unesco honoured townlet Christiansfeld, ..

GER: ... die von sehr religiösen Hernnhuter aus Deutschland gegründet wurde. Ihre Mentalität zeigt sich besonders auf dem Friedhof mit dem Namen 'Gudsageren' (Gottes Acker), wo die Herren auf der einen Seite liegen und die Damen auf der andere, und wo alle Grabsteine gleich sind und wie halbe Pflasterfliesen aussehen. OK, es gibt auch Friedhöfe auf der Welt, die vielleicht ein wenig überschwänglich sind, aber dies ist das andere Extrem. Und wenn ich solche Grabsteine auf einem gewöhnlichen Friedhof sehe, denke ich, daß der Verstorbene in seiner Familie wahrscheinlich nicht sehr beliebt war, oder daß die Erben ungewöhnlich gierig waren. Aber in Christiansfeld waren alle gleich im Tode, abgesehen vom Geschlecht. Das Städtchen ist übrigens für seine Honigkuchen bekannt.

Gudsageren (Wikimedia).jpg
11 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm

There are constantly small things popping up that distract me from studying languages, like for instance that the heating system (an air-to-water pump) at my mother's house couldn't cope with a few cold days - it survived last winter without problems, but since then the tube system has been split into two so that the external part can be filled with brine to make it frost-safe even in the unlikely case of a power failure. I have had someone fix it, but it takes time. And tomorrow a sales person will come up with a sales assessment for my flat.

But I have wasted even more time because of something weird I discovered when I tried to look at my collection of photos on the new laptop: many photos in portrait orientation lay flat down as on their side, but with the sizes that I had dictated through my html codes. At closer inspection the problem occurred with most (but not all) vertical photos taken from 2015 to now (I don't know why there are exceptions). And what happened in 2015? :( Well, I switched from an Olympus to a Canon Ixus (and I have since bought one more from that series). Apparently there is something in my favorite, but antique editing program PhotoImpact 10 from now defunct Ulead which isn't prepared for something the Canons do, but the Olympus didn't - however on the photo information there is absolutely no hint as to what that thing might be: the information seems to be totally identical before and after a 90°turn. There is only one thing to do, namely manually turn all the photos concerned manually. Luckily it seems that they stay upright when I then return them to my old computer, which wasn't a given thing. The problem is that it takes many hours to turn thousands of photos manually, and I can't write or study intensively while I do it - only watch TV and listen to music and eat candy.

As for my languages: well, I have found time to study two texts, one

INDO: ... di bahasa Indonesia tentang ibu kota baru negara di Kalimentan, dijadwalkan akan beroperasi pada tahun 2024 dan disebut Nusantara.

the other ...

UKR: ... інший українською мовою про дуже давнє археологічне місце в Саудівській Аравії з назвою Мустіалі (5000-7000 р. до н.е.). Текст я надрукував разом зі статтею про ще старшу породу Гебеклі-Тепе, і обидва місця були великою несподіванкою для археологів..

I had then planned to continue with a bit of Polish, but noticed that all my Polish study texts already had been used, so now I have printed ...

POL: ... nowy zestaw krótkich fragmentów ze stron internetowych polskich ogrodów zoologicznych (lub ze stron, które je wspominają). Większość z nich odwiedziłem, ale jest też kilka nieznanych leśnych ogrodów zoologicznych - a to dlatego, że zacząłem od wyszukania tekstów o kunie leśnej. A potem przerzuciłem się na ogrody zoologiczne...

F5930b07_Katowice_senny_mis.jpg
5 x

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:45 am

I would think it would be fairly straightforward for a programmer to rotate the pictures at one go with a few lines of code.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:02 am

Well, the first problem would be to identify the hidden factor Windows 10 apparently asks for, but can't find in the files produced by rotating the Canon photos on my old software, including Windows 7. Presumable it is hidden somewhere in the EXIF data since the camera is involved, but that factor is not among those that I can access on my old computer. After that it might be possible to program something that could treat the affected files bulkwise, leaving the rest untouched - but I'm not there yet. When I still worked I did a lot of programming, but the world has changed a lot since then, and it would probably take me longer to make such a thing than it will take me to rotate the files manually.

Kunst163.JPG
5 x

Return to “Language logs”