Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:31 pm

I have just returned from a few days at my mother's place, but before that I finished my overview over the mammals and their ancestors, mostly based on the data in Wikipedia. I didn't include all species, but it was still a herculean task, and I'm in awe over the assiduity of those who compiled the descriptions and cladograms of the articles in Wikipedia where just about every living and dead critter on the planets is included. But behind those guys there must be some ultra-nerds who couldn't stand not knowing each and every kind of roundleaf bat (genus Hipposiderus) and wrote down where to find them and how to distinguish them. Or even worse: especially old and small extinct animals have a tendency to be represented only by a few teeth which you have to hack out from a rock, and I'm impressed by the skill invoved in looking at a single diminutive tooth and recognizing that this might be the sole remains of a specific species of Hipposiderean bat from the miocene.

Never mind, I'm not going to continue to other animal groups for the moment, but I have learnt a lot of new words from the experience.

When I visited my mother I could generally report that I had done no studying whatsoever. But a couple of weeks ago I got an idea that has changed the situation: I took a cushioned side pillow from a sofa and put it on my legs, and lo and behold,now I can write notes and even do wordlists while sitting in one of the armchairs at her television set, and this time I actually did one new Greek wordlist AND the repetitions of some 500 words from old wordlists - much of the learning actually happens during the repetition phase so it was right on time to get that done. Besides I reread some old study texts on Catalan and Indonesian and a hitherto unread page in Laeland Scots as my goodnight fare, but that's old hat - I have read things like that in bed for a long time. Sitting down in a comfy chair to do studies that involves writing was cumbersome before, but the trick with the pillow has changed that situation. Sometimes small changes can have stupendous effects...

IMG_0836.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:31 pm

I have spent several hours surfing Catalan and Brazilian pages so after two messages in pure English the rest of this one will be in those two languages.

CA: Entre els meus textos antics que vaig llegir com a lectura de bona nit hi havia un recull amb una petita nota sobre un tiquet de descompte per a 6 museus de Girona. He visitat la ciutat i he volgut llegir sobre aquests museus, i com és habitual havia de constatar que hi havia llocs que he oblidat de visitar. Vaig arribar-hi amb un bitllet de RyanAir a "Barcelona" l'any 2009, però com és normal amb aquesta companyia, la geografia s'ha de prendre amb precaució: l'avió en realitat va aterrar a l'aeroport de Girona. Però s'ha de prendre aquest fet com una oportunitat per veure una ciutat preciòsa amb una sensació medieval molt clara.

Vaig aprendre els fonaments del meu català als anys 70, així que l'any 2009 l'havia revivat prou bo per poder fer un viatge monolingüe -i dóna punts amb els catalans quan un turista sap parlar la seva llengua. Quan vaig visitar la catedral, se podia haver una audioguia i, per descomptat, jo vaig demanar una en català "si us plau": i les dames del taulell eren prop a morir de riure... Des d'aleshores m'he preguntat si aquesta forma de cortesia està obsoleta, o si la cortesia en general e devingut obsoleta.Més tard en el mateix viatge també vaig visitar Barcelona, ​​​​i vaig volar a casa des de l'aeroport del Prat de Llobregat, i això és de fet l'aeroport de Barcelona. També he llegit alguns apartats de un blog de viatges "Equipatje de Mà", inclòs l'apartat sobre Girona.

P6820a02_Girona.jpg

POR: Tive então a ideia de pesquisar na internet para saber se o Museu Nacional do Rio de Janeiro tem reaberto após o terrível incêndio que destruiu 90% das coleções. Se você olha o próprio sitio do museu, parece que muitas coisas estás acontecendo là - mas outras fontes dizem que a reconstrução só começou em 2021, três anos após o incêndio. O 'novo' museu provavelmente não pôde ser semelhante ao 'antigo' museu. Felizmente eu consegui ve-lo antes do fogo durante a minha única visita à cidade de Rio. Localizava-se em um antigo palácio real no bairro de São Cristóvão, e havia também o zoológico no mesmo parco. O zoológico supostamente fechoù no ano 2019, mas ainda fica localizado lá, embora agora chamado Bioparco.

Li também alguns artigos sobre os museus do Recife que visitei em 2019. No final da leitura, porém, me deparei com uma referência à descoberta de um dino fofinho chamado Berthasaura. É apenas a segunda vez que notei um nome de dinossauro feminino terminado em -a, o primeiro caso foi a Maiasaura ("boa mãe"). O Berthasaurus foi nomeado em homenagem à bióloga brasileira Bertha Maria Júlia Lutz.

Berthasaura _ temlondrina.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Today I have studied an Albanian text about the Botanical Garden in Tirana, which has been transferred from the University (under the government) to the municipality of Tirana, and now there are serious concerns that it may be closed down to make room for commercial building projects - but it seems that it still exists. The university was not even informed about the decision before it was announced publicly. I remember it as a pretty, albeit little visited park with one quirk, namely that to photograph there you would have to pay an exorbitant fee - so I didn't. I also started an Albanian wordlist, but was then distracted because I found an error in one of my music files.

The other language which I have worked on today is Ukrainian, where I studied a text about the brain (I have mentioned the first part of it earlier in this thread, but reread that part today). There is a fair number of neurological terms which aren't found in the Ukranian-English part of my dictionary (which only covers the first third of the book). A few could however be found in the English-Ukrainian part, while I in other cases had to trust the French machine translation. I also studied another text about onochyphores (alias velvet worms), which are primitive wormlike animals with claws that first popped up during the Cambrian about 540 mio. years ago and still are represented by some 200 species. Some of the weird critters from the Burgess Shale deposit like Aysheaia and Hallicinogenia might be early aquatic representatives, but today all known species are terrestrial.

One thing more about Ukrainian: I have just received a message from the library that the Routledge grammar is ready to be fetched - when I made the reservation I was told that I was second in the queue so it is a pleasant surprise that it came so quickly.

Hallucinogenia (Spanish Wikipedia).jpg

And by the way: I just noticed that this thread has passed 200.000 views since last time I wrote something in it.
9 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:36 pm

My memory deluded me today - the grammar I got at the library wasn't the one by Routledge, but an older work called "A modern Ukrainian grammar" from 1949 by Luckyj & Rudnyćkyj, and it was apparently first tip-tip-tipped on a typewriter and then sent to the publishing house to be manifolded. I have seen that procedure before, e.g. with Alf Lombard's Romanian grammar (in Swedish), but it is not a common sight - . This format with its nonproportional typeface takes up more space than a modern book with proportional fonts and the book was not very thick in the first place, so my strategy will now be first to read it and then use it to update my print-outs from Wikipedia. If it had been the Routledge one I would have made a new set notes from scratch and then just used the Wikipedia notes to edit those notes. Actually I have already noticed some things that aren't shown in the printouts from the web, like for instance the genitive ending "-ів" which popped up at the end of several words in my brain-text. I had to look it up on the internet and found an indication that it is primarily just for professions, but I found it used on several physiological terms.

I had actually also tried to get the Routledge one through the university, but it seems that the only copy in any library in Denmark is located in Copenhagen, and they won't send it to Århus where I live - fair enough if it's the only copy in the country. I have checked the price and still ponder whether I should order a personal copy - it would be still be cheaper than a trip to Copenhagen, but maybe I can postpone the investment. Anyway, it's shocking to see how a country with 44 million inhabitants (at least before Putin's invasion) can have been almost totally ignored here in the West. The big question is what I can find to read in Ukrainian once I have cracked the code - apart from Wikipedia, of course. It is already pretty clear now that I'll have to find it on the internet, not in the local libraries or bookstores (unless some smart people see the point in providing reading stuff for the fugitives).

And to continue the Ukrainian story: I did the repetitions from my recent wordlists today, all in all some 150 words. But my text about the brain has mysteriously disappeared - maybe I have forgotten it somewhere...

SP: En la televisión he visto y en parte escuchado el programa "Españoles en el mundo" en TVE, donde había reportajes de China y Costa Rica. Si tuviera la opción, definitivamente elegiría Costa Rica, sobre todo porque yo entiendo lo que dice (y escribe) la gente allí - en China no. Y también hay algunas restricciones en Internet en China a las quales preferiría no estar expuesto.

GR: Επιπλέον, έχω μελετήσει μερικά σύντομα αποσπάσματα από το συνηθισμένο περιοδικό αεροπλάνων "Aqua" που έχω αναφέρει εδώ αρκετές φορές. Αυτή τη φορά διάβασα για ένα εστιατόριο στην Κοπεγχάγη που ιδρύθηκε από τους ίδιους ανθρώπους που ήταν πίσω από το περίφημο "Noma". Και πρέπει να πω ότι το γαστρονομικό φαγητό δεν είναι το πιο αγαπημένο μου φαγητό - και όταν ληφθεί υπόψη η τιμή, η λαχτάρα μου πέφτει κι άλλο. Αυτό το άρθρο ήταν αρκετά εύκολο να διαβαστεί ενώ κατάφερα να αναζητήσω μερικές λέξεις από κάποιον άλλο για ένα κατάστημα επίπλων 'σνομπ' στο Παρίσι - για παράδειγμα "σμιλεμενο" (chiseled). Δεν υπάρχει τίποτα σκαλισμένο στην κατοικία μου, γιατί δεν θα πληρώσω κανέναν για το έργο. Όταν οι δημοσιογράφοι γίνονται πληθωρικοί στην περιγραφή πολυτελών αντικειμένων, τείνουν να χρησιμοποιούν σπάνιο και πολύτιμο λεξιλόγιο - σαν να μπαίνω στον πειρασμό να αγοράσω τα πράγματα. Αλλά για μένα το κόλπο δεν βγαίνει - όταν βλέπω τη λέξη "luksus" ("πολυτέλεια") νομίζω ότι κάποιος θα με εξαπατήσει.

EN: And for those of you who didn't run the Greek text through Google Translate: I have read a wee something about a new snobby restaurant gastronomy temple in Copenhagen, and that is the motive behind my choice of illustration below.

FR: J'ai rudement volé (et défiguré) la grosse tête au milieu de monsieur Delacroix, "Jeune orphéline sur un cimetière".

IC: Góða-nótt lesturinn minn verður Þetta skipti vísindatímaritið Lifandi Visindi, sem hafði verið grafið undir öðrum blöðum - ég fann það aftur þegar ég var að leita að úkraínsku útprentunum um heilann. Kannski ætti ég að gera nokkrar útprentanir um bilað minni... eða um klúður...

Kunst027.JPG

Orphéline.jpg
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:19 pm

I have just arrived home from a family visit, and there I did manage to do the repetitions for a number of Greek wordlists - at least 600 words all in all. And as good night reading I used a collection of texts that included an Indonesian Wikipedia article about the Scoville scale, that accounts for the degrees of torture emanating from chili peppers. The active component is something called capsaicine, and some weirdo subcultures have established competitions where the point is to eat chili with higher and higher capsaicine content until you give up and drown the pain in milk (not water). A fierce chili variant called habanero might be some 300.000 scoville, which means that you have to dilute it 300.000 with a sweet liquid before it can't be felt any more. But the world record seems to be a compound called Resiniferatoxin from certain euphorbias which can boast no less than 16.000.000.000 Scoville (pure capsaicin just clocks in at 16.000.000 Scoville!) - no wonder that it is called '-toxin'.

Scoville.jpg

INDO: Saya sudah lama tidak membaca apa pun dalam bahasa Indonesia dan karenanya menjadi agak berkarat. Tapi sekarang saya telah membuat kumpulan teks baru tentang Scoville dan kukang dan seorang Prancis, Count Lacepède, jadi sekarang saya berharap akan mendapatkan angin di layar lagi. Kukang ('slow loris') adalah salah satu kera setengah Asia dari kelompok Strepsirhini - yaitu: mereka yang hidungnya basah.

Loris.jpg

EN: After my return home I have studied a text in Serbian about the Museum of Science and Technology in Beograd - for some reason I have never visited it and hardly knew that it existed. On the other hand I did visit the museum for the technical genius Tesla on a guided tour, and I have also seen a number of other museums in the town, including a couple inside the fortress Kalemegdan. My Serbian has also been sleeping for a while, but it has survived better than my Indonesian. And after that a text about the house sparrow in Bulgarian.

BU: Всъщност аз съм работил по него и преди, така че по някакъв начин това работи просто като повторение - но работата върху сдъвкани неща също има ефект, а именно да се повиши самочувствието на учащия.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:29 pm

As I have mentioned last Friday I was second in the queue for "A Modern Ukrainian Grammar", but got it surprisingly fast (or rather: suspiciously fast!). Maybe the reason is that it isn't very useful. Point one: it is written on an oldfashioned typewriter which makes it harder to read than a book printed with a proportional font. I acknowledge the effort the authors (or their secretaries) put down in typing it, but .. well, they did their best. Point two: it is more a text book than a grammar - there are irrelevant texts with long lists of vocabulary, and in between you have to look for the tidbits of grammar. OK, at page 146 there are a few pages with morphological tables, but I have expected a grammar book and I'm not happy. And there is a mini-dictionary at the end of the book, which is totally superfluous since I own a real dictionary. So the book will be returned to the library just after Easter.

The Routledge which the library in Copenhagen has locked up like the gold in Fort Knox would almost certainly be much better, but I have still not decided whether I'll order a personal copy - I saw a price tag at some 70 €, which is a lot for a language which I so far just want to be able to read.

So now I'll just do my Ukrainian wordlists and text studies using my dictionary and the tables from Wikipedia.

Ukrainian wordlist.jpg
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Today I first studied an excerpt from a 2019 issue of the magazine Airgate from Kraków Airport, which is bilingual in Polish and English - but still fairly demanding. And it gave me a number of new words. I transferred them to a wordlist together with words from earlier study sessions, all in all around 100 woerds. But words from texts are bothersome because I have to check many of them with a dictionary, so to get a 'smoother' feeling I added a hundred words more directly from my thick green Pons.

Then I wanted to switch to Ukrainian, but have still not found the text collection with the article about the brain - and therefore I made a new collection, this time about museums in Lviv which I visited in 2019. The first text was about the zoological museum, but right in its neighbourhood you also find the quaint Historical museum, where I saw the book below. The text above the book explained that normally the advent of writing in Lviv (and Kievan Rus in general) is supposed to have happened when the area was christened around 988, and then the writing system used was the one invented by Cyrillus and Methodius - which actually was the Glagolitic alphabet and NOT the Cyrillic one, which apparently was constructed by some of their disciples. However the text in the museum states that some old books from Korsun were written earlier in something described as the original Rus' writing, whatever that is (or was). In a museum in Novgorod there is a book called the Novgorod Psalter from 1175, which is claimed to be the oldest book from Ancient Rus, which it can't be if the text in the museum in Lviv is correct. But unfortunately I have not been able to find more precise information about this discrepancy.

And finally I copied some texts in Afrikaans, but ...

AF: Ek het aanvanklik verwag om museumwebwerwe op Afrikaans te kan vind, maar dit blyk 'n probleem te wees - miskien omdat hulle ook in 'n dosyn ander tale sou moes wees as hulle 'n weergawe in Afrikaans het. Daar is altyd die Afrikaanse Wikipedia om na te gryp as alles anders gemis word, maar ek het probeer iets anders te vind.

F5928b03_Old_Book_explanation-Lviv.jpg

F5928b03_Old_Book-Lviv.jpg

UK: До речі, я купил украінський словник у книгарні на площі Данила. <--- Моя перше речення по-українськи !
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:37 pm

I have once again returned from a family visit, where I watched TV in a handful of languages (Danish, English, Norwegian, Swedish and German) and read an article in Catalan about elephants as my goodnightgoodie, but for once I didn't do wordlists in Greek - I did them in French instead, using a dictionary from before Worldwar one. But at the same time I had a leaky water tube in my kitchen, so when I returned home yesterday my first priority was to contact the caretaker of the house block to get that problem solved. It turned out that the water came from a flat two floors higher up, but at least it has been stopped now. I had devised a system with a small bowl and a handkerchief that was supposed to carry the surplus water down into the sink during my absence, but I couldn't be sure that it would function. Luckily it did.

Another positive thing from yesterday: I found my Ukrainian text about brain physiology - it had surreptiously hidden itself in the midst of my Albanian text collection, so now I have quite a lot of study materials for Ukranian waiting for me.

FR: Je m'excuse d'écrire sur ce sujet en français, mais mon niveau actif en ukrainien est encore assez modeste, et la traduction dudit truc cérébral est en français. Comme je l'ai déjà remarqué, le langage académique est en fait plus facile à lire que la littérature car il y a tellement de mots internationaux là. Je pourrais citer l'original ukrainien, mais permettez-moi au lieu de ça de prendre un extrait de la traduction française pour démontrer la facilité stupéfiante de l'article :

Le stade suivant de développement est le stade des trois vésicules primaires: le cervau antérieur (prosencéphale latin), le mésencéphale (mésencephale latin) et le cerveau rhomboïde (rhombencéphale). La première vessie est un dérivé de l'archencéphale, les deux autres sont du deutéroencéphale.

"Pièce of cake", comme disent les Anglophones. Si vous ne comprenez pas quelque détail de ceci, c'est que vous ne le comprendrerait pas non plus dans votre propre langue, et alors il faut seulement suivre quelque liens pour avoir des explications. Par example je ne connaissait pas le mot "rhombencéphale", mais il s'avère d'être la partie antérieure du cerveau ("hindbrain" en Anglais, "lillehjerne" en Danois), donc la partie du cerveau qui vous permets de rouler sur votre biciclette sans penser à rien.

EN: So I'm going to study Ukrainian this evening, but earlier today I have worked on a couple of other Slavic languages. First Russian without any political objectives - I read an article about megalomania. After that I started to study an article about the Town Museum in Novi Sad, where something curious happened: I jotted down a couple of new words using the translation (into Portuguese), but had to check a dictionary for one of them. And to my dismay I couldn't find the word, and even the letters in the middle of the word were missing. Then it suddenly occurred to me that the text was in Latinitsa, and I was using a Cyrillic dictionary. The conversion went smoothly until I reached the first letter that wasn't found in the dictionary, and only then I noticed that the article used Latin letters - it came from a mixed collection of articles in Croatian and Bosnian in Latinitsa, Latinitsa from Serbia and Cyrillic from the socalled Serbian Republic (which has got a Wikipedia in its own dialect). OK, I grabbed a proper Latinitsa dictionary and finished the article, and ... well, apparently I had finished my Cyrillic Serbian texts, so I produced a new set with articles about museums in Serbia, including the Vojvodina museum of Novi Sad.

SER: Посетио сам овај последњи музеј током посете 2014. године под покровитељством Полиглотске конференције. Међутим, не разумем зашто нисам посетио и градски музеј, који се налази скоро поред. Из чланка се чини да је то мешовити музеј са много различитих колекција, а такве музеје иначе подржавам. У околини постоји и музеј уметности, али никад не знате да ли су вредни посете.

EN: And now it's time for the daily dose of Ukrainian ...

Muzeji u Novom Sadu.jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 pm

As expected I spent some time yesterday evening on Ukrainian, partly on an article about the Burgess-Shale (a place in British Columbia with an insane amount of critters from the Cambrian), but mostly on the one about the zoological museum in Lviv which I mentioned a few days ago. As I have mentioned earlier I visited the town in 2019, in connection with my planned, but dropped participation in the Polyglot Gathering in Bratislava that year. Instead of listening to lectures I first spent some time in Vienna, then visited zoos in the Eastern part of Czechia and museums in Bratislava, then Lviv followed by Katovice and Kraków in Poland, so I spent most of my time in Slavic-speaking areas, but didn't really try to speak any of the languages. Lviv is as far from the Russian invasion as you can get within Ukraine, but I don't think life there is normal any longer.

In 2019 I had studied Polish as a passive language for some time, Slovak for a somewhat shorter time, but since I never hear them at home my head isn't producing sentences automatically. You might say that this is what you could expect when you try to study half a dozen Slavic languages at the same time just from written sources, but the effort is not wasted. Many words are found in several languages just with different spelling, so even though my vocabulary in each language still isn't large enough I can read texts (with a little help from a translation, but also without that, but I then just have to accept a lower level of comprehension). I can also write in most of the languages with the help of a dictionary and my green sheets/morphological printouts - but it takes some effort to check that I don't use words that belong to other languages - a consideration that isn't relevant for purely passive activities. My expectation is that training writing and reading will make it easier to add speaking next time I need it - but for several reasons it can't happen right now.

F5930a04_Zoo-muz-Lviv.jpg

Today I have continued with the Slavic languages, albeit only after some hardcore sewing - it had irritated me that I couldn't use all my cardigans because they lacked a pocket for my phone, so today I added pockets inside three of them and went to town to buy zippers for four more - and then I also did a couple of hours of tourism. But in spite of this I did manage first to study an article about sparrows in Bulgarian from a site called ww.vrabcheta.bg ...

BU: Доста невероятно е, че цял уебсайт е кръстен на врабчетата, но вече не помня дали уебсайтът се занимава само с тези птици. По-рано съм писал за домашно врабче, но се базираше на статия в Уикипедия.

... and after that I studied a text about psychosis in Slovak (with a Swedish translation). I was slightly surprised at the number of new words I had to note down, not really psychiatric terms, but more like words for compromised sense of reality, hallucinations etc. etc. The good thing is that the part of the article I left for later will reuse many of these words, and then it will hopefully be smooth sailing across troubled waters. I'm actually thinking about doing a word count campaign soon to get an estimate of my level in each language, but last time I did it I was surprised at the number of words I knew in a Polish dictionary when you take into consideration the number of words I have to write down each time I actually read something in Polish. Speaking about Polish: after the Bulgarian and Slovak texts I studied some descriptions of sights in the French town Bordeaux from the airport magazine of Kraków, "Airgate". The good thing about such magazines is that they often are bilingual in the local language and English, and the translators haven't got literary ambitions. The magazine articles mentioned for example ...

POL: ... wieżę Pey-Berland w Bordeaux. Odwiedziłem to miasto tylko raz: podczas mojej pierwszej podróży pociągiem 'Interrail' w 1972 roku i tam odwiedziłem tę wieżę, gdzie starożytny przewodnik opowiedział o ułożonych czaszkach i historii wieży. Nocowałam w hostelu w mieście, ale od połowy drugiej podróży interrail spałam tylko w pociągach - było taniej i uciekłam z szukania nudnych hosteli na nudnych przedmieściach.

GER: Und warum erst ab Mitte der zweiten Interrail-Fahrt? Es gibt tatsächlich eine Erklärung: im Jahre 1974 hatte ich einen Hostelplatz für jede zweite Nacht gebucht und fing in Großbritannien an. Dort mußte man einen 'Dienst' verrichten (wie zum Beispiel den Boden fegen oder so was), aber als ich in der Jugendherberge Shrewsbury war, entdeckte ich, daß ich laut Plan schon am nächsten Abend in Koblenz in Deutschland sein müßte. Ich habe also am Vortag meinen 'duty' geleistet, und sobald der Hauswirt die Gäste mit seiner herben Dudelsackmusik am nächsten Morgen geweckt hatte, rannte ich zum Bahnhof und eilte Richtung Deutschland – und wie durch ein Wunder schaffte ich es noch rechtzeitig im Koblenzer Hostel in der Festung Ehrenbreitstein rechtzeitig anzukommen um eingecheckt zu werden. Aber dieses Hostel sah aus wie ein Gefängnis und es gab ein Zwangsfrühstück. Ich bin deshalb herumgereist und habe alle gebuchten Hostelbesuche abgesagt (außer Augsburg, wo das Frühstück freiwillig war) – und habe mich danach dafür entschieden, ausschließlich in den Zügen zu schlafen. Ergebnis: Jeden Tag eine neue Stadt (oder zwei) ...

P0208a03_Ehrenbreitstein.jpg
6 x

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:28 am

Iversen wrote:Aber dieses Hostel sah aus wie ein Gefängnis und es gab ein Zwangsfrühstück.

Oh ja, das furchtbare deutsche Jugendherbergsfrühstück. Ich erinnere mich... Man konnte ja schon froh sein, wenn es auch Tee gab und nicht nur den widerlichen Kakao.
0 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

Return to “Language logs”