Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:48 am

You can install imagemagik and run a bash/batch program that would rotate all the files with one command. Untested code below.

Code: Select all

for szFile in /path/*.png
do
    convert "$szFile" -rotate 90 /tmp/"$(basename "$szFile")" ;
done

That is how I would do it in Linux. It would move all the files to tmp leaving original in place in case of errors.

I used this to convert a couple hundred images to black and white recently
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm

In spite of the helping hands above I have spent several evenings turning images manually - on most cases anticlockwise (including some vertical ones that should lie down), but sometimes clockwise - presumably depending on how I held the camera when I took the photo. I expect to finish the task this evening, and then I have to figure out how I can make photos with a 'durable' orientation on my old computer. It can be done, because between all the falsely horisontales pictures there are some perfectly vertical ones in the collection.

This morning I woke up from a partly Romanian dream. In my dreams I¨m often perambulating in the streets of some unknown city, and ...

RO: Am ajuns la un pod peste un un râu mic, iar pe cealaltă parte erau câteva săli mari. Un poster pe cel mai apropiat a spus (în daneză) "Rumænsk festival", și bineînțeles că am intrat. Înăuntru am văzut ceva asemănător cu o bazar de vechituri supradimensionat (poate fi inspira de magazinele de reciclare pe care le-am văzut în ultima vreme). M-am plimbat o vreme pe acolo, iar când am ieșit din nou, am observat că la o masă erau destul de mulți oameni care au vorbit în limba română. Când m-am apropiat de ei, m-a întâlnit o doamnă și a început să vorbesc engleză, i-am răspuns politicos în română că probabil sunt unul dintre puținii număr danezi care făcuseră un curs de română (pe vremea studenției al meu). Am mai vorbit un timp breu cu ea, și îmi amintesc să avea grijă să nu amestec cuvintele spaniole în propozițiile mele. Dar apoi m-am trezit.. așa se întâmplă de obicei când începe să devină foarte amuzant într-un vis lucid.

SP: ¿Y por qué español? Tal vez porque traje una revista en español llamada Estudio y Ciencia del 2015 a la casa de mi madre, donde ahora paso más tiempo que en mi departamento, y como se puede imaginar, tengo ahora una conexión adesde mi nueva computadora portátil al red a través de un punto de acceso móvil personal (hotspot). En la portada, el tema “Neurociencia de la Meditación" domina, pero hay también artículos sobre otros temas, como el viaje de Rosetta al cometa Churiumov-Guerasimenko, el envejecimiento del sistema inmunológico y la evolución de las lenguas andinas.

EN: I have a small Spanish-Danish dictionary here, but I don't look anything much up. There may be some technical terms which I don't know, but then the dictionary also doesn't know them. In my bag I also brought along a Portuguese magazine, and I still carry the one in Catalan about sci fi around with me. The point is that I have spent much time on the Slavic languages lately, so I realized that it might be time also to give the Romance languages their due - and since I don't need a translation or even a dictionary to perouse something in those languages they are good for
short stays away from home (where my book collection still resides).

That being said: I'll soon have to pack my dictionaries down into boxes to have them transferred from my flat to the house I'm sitting in right how, and while they are inaccessible I can always fall back on my Germanic and Romance languages where I feel more at ease.

Psykologi.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Platt: Ik höff butendem een Program op NDR seehn wat över die Tee-Wenste vun di Ostfriese Lüü heeft informeert - die sünd eenfech mit 300 Liter pro Nees pro Johr die Weltmeester in 't Tee-Drinken (elf Mol wat önner Düütsche pro Johr neerschlucken!), un jede Ostfriese mööt darvör 5 kg Tee pro Johr köpen. Er is twee Marken: Bünting un Thiede, en die Lüü die dat ene vün sien Kinderjohren höffen lernt te drinken, blieven dorbi sien hele Leven. Die Ostfriesen drinken sien swarte Fluidum mit Rahm un een 'Kluntje' (een stuk Kandiszucker), un sie sünd daran so iserngrad hartnackig dat 't Unesco dat Ostfriese Teedrinken as Weltkulturerbe höfft akzeptert.

EN: And apart from that: yesterday evening I accidentally found the book the Wordbrain in Spanish on my computer. I don't remember where I got it from, but it just took a couple of hours to get through the whole thing. I think one noteworthy thing about this book is that the author plays down the time that should be spent on grammar - for him the most time consuming thing will always be vocabulary acquisition, and after that learning to understand speech.

Tee mit Rahm.jpg

GER: PS: Ich trinke weder Tee noch Kaffee - daß hat mir ein Haufen Geld (und Zeit) erspart!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:25 am

I am busy preparing the formal move to my late Mother's house. The red tape issues should be dealt with now, but there is a logistic problem since I want to move some things from my flat to her place, but not all that I have got, and I keep a lot of her furniture (and the landscape paintings on the walls), but lots of things have to go - like her clothes and translated bookclub novels. She hated throwing anything away, and then things really accumulate And I have also collected a few things, so I have to decide what I'll bring along, and what has to go.

So far I have put my old VHS tapes with ancient TV documentaries and quizzes plus my travel guides into sturdy cardboard moving boxes, and next time I'm back to my flat I'll do the same to my language and biology books and probably also to my books in sundry languages - but I have decided to scrap Groves enormous dictionary of Music and Musicians, half a meter of Danish and world history each and an old Lademann's dictionary in a million tomes which was full of pictures rather than information. Now we have got the internet I'm unlikely to use any of those books. OK, maybe the same is true about my Lonely Planets and other guide books from the 90's and 00's but but they had some practical maps, and .. ok, maybe they should go to the recycling stations too, but .. well, I have so far chosen to keep them. Besides I have brought about 30 large photo albums (out of 67) and my tiny dictionaries (Langenscheidts etc) plus to bags of dirty laundery along in the back of my own tiny car to avoid filling up my flat with moving boxes.

So my language studies have mainly consisted in goodnight reading sessions. Two nights ago I read a couple of tales more from the Afrikaans speaking Lions book (in Afrikaans, of course): one detailing somebody's opa's habits concerning picknick consumption items, the other lamenting the death of small individual eateries in favour of big multinational chains - but no lions so far, so I can just as well post some cutesy ones from Botswana. And yesterday evening I read several articles in Spanish from the science mag I mentioned a couple of days ago. One told about publication of scientific results through other channels than ultra expensive pair-reviewed magazines. OK pair reviews are in principle a good thing, but it shouldn't be a block on telling people in an economical way what the learned ones spend their precious time on.

f2424b05_lion-cubs-Chobe_Botswana.jpg

By the way: while I packed my travel books down I rediscovered one relevant item: the small guide to Singapore in parallel Indonesian and English editions which lured me into studying the former...

INDO: Brosur itu saya temukan saat berkunjung ke Malaysia dan Singapura dan saya juga membeli kamus Bahasa Melayu. Tapi ada masalah dalam menemukan kata-katanya, jadi saya mencoba kamus bahasa Indonesia yang saya beli di Manila di Filipina, dan hasilnya jauh lebih baik. Sejak itu saya belajar Bahasa Indonesia (tetapi seperti yang disebutkan, dengan waktu yang terbatas). Awalnya saya pikir mereka agak sulit, tetapi saya mencoba lagi sekarang dan berharap itu berjalan dengan baik.
11 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:46 pm

RIght now I'm at my own place, where I am going to put more books into boxes, and I'm also going to throw some of them away - like my magnificent Groves Dictionary of Music and Musicians in 29 gorgeous tomes. Why, because the internet (and Wikipedia) has been invented since I bought it. I once started to read it from A to Z, but got stuck somewhere in the middle of the Bachs - and I'm definitely not going to continue the disrupted reading session. I'll probably also throw away Grimberg's World history and Politiken's history of Denmark for exactly the same reason, but with the difference that I actually have read them both through from A to Z once. The last couple of days I have finished the archeological excavation of my late Mother's book collection, and I got down to the books from the 30s and 40s she read as a young girl - but I am not sentimental enough to keep them, apart from a few books printed in Gothic fonts from the late 1800s which I'm going to keep so that they can be thrown out when I die or move. I also found some old booklets from my sister's and my own school years. I'll keep a couple of them, but the rest have already been disposed of now. I have however (against expectation) decided to keep a collection of "Det Bedste" (the Danish version of "Readers Digest") from 1947 to the late 90s because that's something I might sit down to read in small tidbits without having to learn anything or even think about anything.

And then I found some old toys, like my old electric model train, hordes of plastic animals (see below), some Lego and some Bilofix (wooden sticks for construction games), plus a box full of Anders And'er (the Danish version of Donald Duck). By the way: did you know that the Danish branch of the Donaldian empire produced stories for a host of other countries, including in some cases the USA whence the original madness came? And a few words from the Danish stories have entered Standard Danish, like "Langbortistan" (far-away-istan) for a very faraway location in one of the episodes. I guess that some of those stories might offend some ardent wokists, but I couldn't care less. They were part of my childhood until I switched to hardcore science, so I keep them - but in a closed cardboard box.

F6333a04.JPG

And then I have finished the "Investigación and Ciencia" from January 2015 which I have mentioned a few times. I got through a number of interesting articles this past night, like one about the history of the Placentalian mammals after and maybe also before the (K–Pg) event that ended the Cretaceous and kickstarted the Paleocene).

SP: El artículo informar sobre un proyecto multinacional muy ambicioso y virtual que tiene como objetivo establecer una especie de base de datos de los aproximadamente 5.000 mamíferos vivos y (aproximadamente) 10.000 extintos, con toda la información disponible sobre sus huesos y sus genes y cualquier otra cosa que se podria hallar. Uno de los problemas es, por supuesto, que no todos los zoólogos y paleontólogos son igualmente precisos y a veces puede incluso haber dudas sobre la nomenclatura de las tarreñas (evidentemente la nomenclatura latina es la 'correcta'). Tampoco se puede obtener información genética para la mayoría de las especies extintas, pero se puede observar que se habla de agrupaciones que conozco de Wikipedia, como Afrotheria (desde elefantes hasta musarañas elefante) y Laurasiatheria (perros, caballos y ballenas azules). Estos nombres yá no eran en uso cuando estudié nomenclatura zoológica durante mi adolescencia, pero se basan en estudios genéticos serios. Por supuesto, también es un problema que solo se conocen los dientes de muchas especies extintas, y que muchos mamíferos eran (y siempre son) pequeñitos con los dientes correspondientemente chiquititos. Leyendo esto me recordó a una programa de la televisión (a cerca de 19:00 minutos) donde mencionaban un truco para hallar esos restos minusculos: muchos de los mejores fósiles del Paleoceno (el tiempo posterior al evento) no se acuestan en el suelo, sino que se esconden dentro de las concreciones que se forman alrededor los cúmulos de materia orgánica, como por ejemplo un cadáver.

Otro artículo habla de la posibilidad de combatir los nódulos cancerosos con vira hechos a la medida, y anteriormente en la revista también había un artículo que sugería la posibilidad de reconstruir los teleómeros. Estos son pequeñas cosas con forma de tornillo al final de nuestros genes, y con cada división celular, se pierde una pieza. Cuando se agota la 'carta roca', la célula en cuestión ya no se divide y acaba matándonos. El artículo mencionaba una enzima llamada telomerasa que podría prevenir esto, pero no tengo otras referencias que fueran igualmente optimistas.

Rise of the mammals.jpg
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:44 pm

Iversen wrote:RIght now I'm at my own place, where I am going to put more books into boxes, and I'm also going to throw some of them away[...]

I feel your pain. I'm in the midst of the big migration myself. (Not really urgent - I have until 28 February, but my ambition is to do most of the work in December.) By the way, the local library had a copy of the Groves. Had. Some genious weeded it and threw the volumes away. The same thing happened with the Encyclopedia Britannica a year before.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 pm

I feel your pain, too, doubly so. Fifteen or so years ago my mother passed away, and I had to decide what to do with her stuff. And then myself, cause I moved out of my apartment in July. I tossed out about half of what I owned. I miss a couple of things, but mostly I'm glad to be free of it.
Curious, Iversen, what kind of model train you had.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:26 pm

Fleischmann, and houses (mostly) from Faller plus a homemade landscape which was taken down around 1970. I made the electrical system myself so that I could handle streetlights, lights in the houses, signals and all that stuff. You can see some of my bird paintings on the wall - before I made surrealistic art I painted all Danish birds and supplied the paintings with their Latin names. And the bed you can see along the wall is precisely one of my problems now ...

PS: no time to study today - first I drove to a recycling plant with lots of stuff from my mother's house, then I did a 100 km drive til my Northerly abode, where I have been busy since noon with a major box filling operation, and besides I have laboriously moved a heavy old TV and other antiquated electronic junk down into the cellar of my highrise dwelling, where we can put electronic garbage for collection once a week. Tomorrow I have to fix a date with the relocation company, and before they come I have to split the contents of my flat to atoms. And when they have removed the removies I have to get rid of the leftovers, which in itself can be a hassle. We can leave carpets as 'storskrald' (bulky trash) in the cellar or in a container outside it, but the carpets have to be cut into slices of max. 1 m width - maybe I can use my hedge shears from the Southerly gardens for the job. And to boot my worn-out armchair and bed have to be moved down by me personally - but not in the same week (as the caretaker of the building told me).

It's hard work to move, and I don't want ever to do it again if I can avoid it.

Btw: one of the things I haven't packed down yet is my collection of dictionaries, so maybe I can revive sufficiently from my present stupor to do a bit of language studies later this evening.

F0122b01_train and birds.jpg
6 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 am

Moving house has totally disrupted my language studies. I won't fully moved in for another 8 weeks after which I will be able to really return to my studies.

Really totally moving house is very difficult.

Good luck.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:06 am

"Fully moved in" is an ambitious goal, though I personally would try to reach it before Christmas. Having my dictionaries on the shelves again and at least one comfy chair plus this computer within reach would be my goal for the end of this week. I suddenly got busy when the relocation company announced that it had an empty slot Dec. 08 at 7:30 (that's tomorrow!). So all day yesterday I have been building ominous mountains of moving boxes in my flat, each weighing at least 15 kg. I had bought some boxes myself last week (those on the picture) and I got a load of boxes more from the company yesterday around noon, so I reached 18 boxes of mine and 21 boxes of theirs around 23 o'clock yesterday at crashing time, and I still have to add maybe half a dozen boxes with less important things like clothes and gadgets today - and after that I have to dismount my 8 units of ladder shelves (and now I wonder: what's the real name of one unit in a ladder shelf? And why do you Anglophones use the same word for the horizontal element and the whole thing in which that thingy is lodged?). And of course it all has to happen one of the first days in this winter where the temperature here is below zero so all doors will be open for hours and the rooms will be freezing cold after the action...

So no time to do computering, no time for TV watching nor for reading until 23 o'clock, where my internal fuel reserves simply had been exhausted, and then I just went to bed with on of my random finds, namely an annotated postcard set from Minsk in Belarus. I bought it and used some of the cards in my official postcard collection, but when I reopened it again I noticed that I at some obscure point in time already had used many of the cards as bilingual study texts. However when I now returned to them I was happily surprised to find that I almost didn't have to consult the translations - so my passive Russian has apparently made progress since my one and only visit to Minsk in 2008, which actually also was the year where I last moved - but only from 'mid' to 'right' on the same floor in a highrise building. I know that there are people who have to move more often (probably for professional reasons - it can't be for fun), and in their place I might consider owning far fewer things.

F6333a05_flyttekasser.jpg

RU: В Беларуси действительно есть свой язык, но режим Лукашенко, видимо, предпочитает русский язык. Два языка подобны, но если в тексте написано 'а', когда русские пишут 'о' и произносят 'а', тогда это белорусский. Кстати, Минск был симпатичным и благоустроенным городом с огромным железнодорожным вокзалом и разнообразными живописными зданиями. И не только в центре: мой первый визит в город был в зоопарк на такси, и он находится в болотистой местности на окраине, и оттуда я пошел пешком в центр — так что я видел хороший кусочек города. Цены были приемлемыми, хотя для иностранцев в музеях цены были выше. Но из-за Путина перспективы нового визита в Беларусь нет.

F3604a05 _ supermarket in Minsk.jpg
8 x

Return to “Language logs”