Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Iversen wrote:Until yesterday I felt like a valued member of the international brotherhood of language enthusiasts. That's over.

I suspect the problem isn't you're not a valued member of the the international brotherhood of language enthusiasts, because you most certainly are. But rather that membership of this brotherhood is growing all the time! I don't have the numbers to hand, but look at the growth since you and I first met in person in Berlin. It was a crowded venue even then and trying to eat lunch in that roaring noisy vortex was madness. Since then these gatherings have expanded 2-3 fold at least. There is a lot of people who want to give their perspectives on language learning and they are all clamoring to give talks. So it might simply be they've had too many proposals and want to give newer members of the brotherhood the ability to speak. If I were a little more cynical I might say a lot of slots might have been reserved for sponsors and the number of community slots were reduced. Or it might be they've had 4-5 proposals in Portuguese.

I suspect we'd never know the reason, but I certainly wouldn't take it personally.
13 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Considering the quality of some of the talks I’ve attended these past two years, I find it hard to believe they already had enough good proposals. I’m sorry you won’t be able to give your talk. I’m sure it would have been more interesting than yet another talk aimed at beginning language learners. I suspect Rick might be right about them giving more slots to sponsors. Unfortunately, most of those talks seem to be little more than a sales pitch.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:56 pm

Don't take it personally. You've certainly helped many here, including me, and I thought I was beyond help with my 30+ years of language studying.

Frankly (tough love follows): Suck it up. Forget it. Go to Bratislava and enjoy yourself. You can mentor/lead even if you're not standing behind the lectern. You don't have to give a presentation in order to make an impact in this community. (Hell, you already have, as all the above attests.) I've yet to attend one of these things, not sure if I ever will, but I can tell you one thing: If I do ever attend one, you are one of a handful of language-geek people I look forward to meeting.
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 pm

+1

I do can tell that you have certainly helped me too, as many others here. As a recent member of this community, maybe I am not enough qualificated to cast an opinion about the Bratislava event, however, as an active student, I have been analysing part of your work and what I can assure is that it is, with no doubt, an extraordinary and unique peace of work that contribute to see the learning process from a different perspective, which is incredible worthy.

Please, don't let yourself be brokenhearted, because unquestionably it is not worth. Your work is here to stay, despite them.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Iversen, as a fellow speaker (but I won't attend this year); I am pretty sure everyone values your contributions to the language learning world, and as for me personally, you were one of the big inspirations when I started out years ago! (Do you remember that?) Sometimes, slots really do get full, or perhaps they have a different focus, or perhaps there are very good reasons why you were not selected this time around; don't give up! They may have won the battle, but they have not won the war.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I am sorry to hear about your rejection at that event and the effect it has had on you, Iversen.

By the way, I was doing more work converting your guide to Markdown today when I noticed another problem with an image. Section 3.2 has a19.jpg appear twice, the second time instead of a21.jpg. Could you please provide me with a21.jpg?

Also, if you're going to abandon your activity in this forum, would you like to update the short bio that was going to be posted with the guide? I feel your guide is very much worth doing this work on.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks to all who have expressed support to me after the rejection from the Bratislava organizers. When I received it I asked whether my choice of language was a factor, and in the reply it was stated that this wasn't a factor. However someone among the judges apparently found my description too general, and besides I was told that my previous lectures had been "difficult to follow". I shan't comment in detail on that, except to state that I have more confidence in the intelligence of the listeners than the committee apparently has. And I conclude that my decision not to waste more time on asking humbly for permission to lecture at later gatherings was the right one. My ideas about what defines an informative lecture (the only kind I'm interested in) are clearly at odds with those of the organizers, and I'm not going to be dumbing down to meet their expectations.

I will be in Bratislava during the event, but if I turn up at the location it will only be to meet some of the other participants. I'm not going to listen to any of the lectures, and I won't read the programme, neither before nor after the event. And I won't participate in later events.

On the other hand I am definitely going to continue writing here. I may sometimes write things that are slightly complicated or use languages which not all readers can digest, but so far you have all been wonderfully patient with my antics - contrary to... well enough about them. My biggest worry with LLORG is that the problems with 'too many attempts' (which have returned with a vengeance since last week) and premature logging out will not keep me from being active here, but it may in the long run keep new users from using the forum.

Apart from that: I have been to a family visit, and as usual that has brought my study activities down to a minimum. I did however work my way through an article in Irish about lucid dreaming which I also have mentioned earlier - but after a month-long pause with a weak language it is a good idea to restart one's studies with something you have seen before. I'll write more about it later, but right now my main task is add some more study activity which I can write about in my next message ... and to publish image a21 (which was used in a discussion about the past tense forms of the Slavic languages).

To Ser: I have copies of the images I used in the guide so I'm going to insert the correct picture into the guide and attach it to this message ASAP.

a21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Iversen, you're the godfather of this forum and an inspiration to us all. I've followed your posts for over a decade and list you up there with the likes of Alexander Argüelles. So don't get mad; get even. Get those great ideas of yours down on paper, channel your energies into more art and illustrations, and give us language enthusiasts an offer we can't refuse. It's time for your book!
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:47 pm

I don’t know you well, Iversen, but you are quite the sage to me. You have plenty of talent and finesse. I’m sorry they rejected you. Please grace us with more knowledge.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 am

Iversen wrote:Until yesterday I felt like a valued member of the international brotherhood of language enthusiasts. That's over.

¡Madre mia! Anímate, hombre.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”