Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:10 pm

My Croatian has clearly become even more rotten this spring, where I have spent more time on music than on languages. I'll close read the corrections later, but first I think I'll spend some time on replacing the damaged images in this thread.

EDIT 20:03: and that took a couple of hours, but luckily I have backups of my photos from this thread - otherwise it would have been a mammoth task.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

I would have written something about some text collections in Albanian and Greek which I have produced and partly read, but then I wrote a long tirade about wordlists instead (in the thread "About Iversen wordlists"), so now I'm more inclined to do some more studying than I am to writing about chocolate in Albanian or koalas in Greek.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 am

LA: Heri museum "Urbem Antiquam" visitavi, ubi sectio nova historiae arosiensi dedicata nuper inaugurata est. Inter alia, vita episcopi Iensis Iversenis Longi ampliter illuc descripta est. Ille tantopere fortunatus erat quod regi danicorum Christiano primo pecuniam commodare poteret et nihilominus satis restabat ut altitudinem turris ecclesiae catedralis Arosiensis duplicare posset. Ego infeliciter not tantum dives sum, sed etiam non preces dicere debeo (et Rosenkrantibus semper iniquo animo certarem ut regnum Djurslandi consequi). Anno MDCCC Aros modo quattuor milia incolarum habebat, sed post CL anni cum progresso activitatis merciis fabricationisque perpetuo CL milia incolarum - et nunc circa CCL milia, id quod certe satis est. Se metropolem videre cupio, peregrinationem facturus sum. Expositio etiam elementa mondiale offert (vide infra), sed hic in foro forsitan eo magis ad remo attinet informatio quod cursum dialecti urbis arosiensis etiam praebet (aeque infra imaginem vide). Ut videtur, celeber littera "d mollis" in urbo mei quam "j" linguae latinae pronuntianda est, et "Skåje" (Skåde) suburbium meridionali est ubi potius cunctes potentes atque divites vivent. Sed raeda longa ('autobus') urbana linea XVIII ad museum Moesgård transit (et etiam cursum ludi golfi praeterit).

Jaj-bor-sgisme-da-i-Århus-og-ikk-i-Aaaaarhus!.jpg

Bus-til-Skåje(Skåde).jpg

EN: ...and music? Well, ahem, yes.. my apologies for being unfaithful to greedy mistress Language Learning. I spent the weekend transmuting an old quartet into something called "Bassoon Saloon" for four bassoons (and nuttin' else). To get a hint to what it sounds like imagine four classical bassoonists in black frocks sittin' around a wild west campfire with baked beans (and the remains of the guy with the mouth organ) simmerin' in a cauldron and coyotes howlin' somewhere out there in the surrounding wildernessss, happily executing deep wheezing rumbles on their inflected tubular contraptions. THAT's what my latest revised opus is supposed to sound like!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am

That's quite the mental image...I for one would love to hear it!
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 am

Me too - but I don't think it will ever happen. The sheet music can however be seen here), but I almost regret having published it: I had hardly turned my back to the uploaded score before it was recathegorized as an arrangement of a work for 3 bassoons and double bass. OK, that's how I wrote it in 1993, but now that version has been resituated to my waste basket and the only extant and only published and only sanctioned version is the one I spent the weekend on writing - for four bassoons.

Right now I'm rewriting a sextet for strings - so here the original instrumentation has been retained, but I have plucked the whole thing to pieces and put it together again with hardly two measures in sequence looking the same. I wonder whether they also will consider that as an arrangement and pinpoint the rejected old version - which in a day or too will be keeping the thing for three basson and a bass company in my waste bin - as the proper opus? Even though I as the composer have rejected it before anybody else saw even got a chance to peek at it?

I have read that some composers first write a piano version and then orchestrate it. So here the work should logically be characterized as a piano work, and the published and/or recorded version as an arrangement?

op.41-3mov.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri May 05, 2017 5:07 pm

I finished my rewriting of the aforementioned sextet yesterday ... and lo and behold, today I have for the first time in weeks not some musical project lying unfinished around. OK, I still have lots of old manuscripts stored which might deserve some attention, but they'll have to wait. I also have to think about I'm going to say in Bratislava and find ways to illustrate it - there is less than a month till the day where I'll have to make the presentation.

Today I have been studying some popular science texts, and I have been watching and listening first to a program about Ice age animals in North America and afterwards to a series of nature programs in German on 3SAT ("Europas Urwälder"). As usual there is German translation on top of original speech in the local languages, but most of the time there is only talk in one language (German) or no talk at all, and they let the local Urwaldbewohners say a few sentences before they start the dubbing. But there is background music, and therefore I wouldn't have been able to watch it while composing.

The Ice age program gave me a few new informations - including that the Glyptodons may have had a trunk, but no incisors, so these big living armor tanks may have shuffled around in swampy biotopes slurping up soft plants which they transferred to their mouths in much the same way as elephants. And speaking about elephants: Columbian mammoths were up to 4 meters high - larger than the biggest African elephants today - and they ate most of the time and produced about 250 kg of poo on a daily basis because they didn't really have the guts to treat the plants they tucked in through the other end of their bodies. Contemporaneous proboscids have the same problem, and therefore you should think twice about taking up a job as a zoo keeper.

GE: In der deutsche Programmserie haben wir zuerst den Bielowicza Wald besucht, wo die Protagonistinnen eine Försterin und ihre Freundin, eine Malerin, waren, und eine etliche kinder waren auch da - aber wir haben kein einzigen Wisent gesehen. Danach die Karpaten, wo es jetzt mehr Bären gibt als früher. Sieht man so einen Bär, muß man sich langsam zurückbewegen - nie laufen, weil der Bär dann glaubt, daß man ein Beutetier auf der Flucht sei. Es ist besser, ihm (oder ihr) die nötige Zeit zu geben, ein Bissel darüber nachzudenken - und Bären denken nicht sehr schnell. Dies gilt nicht für Polarbären (die immer nur an eßbares denken, darunter blöde Polartouristen). Hier soll man lieber das mitgebrachte Feuerwerk abfeuern und sein Gewehr greifen. So was nicht mitgebracht? Schade... Idiot! Weiter nach Gomera, eine der Kanarischen Insel, wo es scheint, daß kondensiertes Wasser aus dem Nebel in den Inselwäldern fast so viel Wasser bringt , als die Regen tut - es regnet dort oft monatelang keinen Tropfen Wasser, aber es gibt viel Nebel, so Gomera wäre eine Wüsteninsel ohne die örtlichen Wälder. Und letztlich haben wir dann Nordfinnland besucht, bekannt as Sápmi (Samen-land). Hier gibt es Moskitos statt Wisenten (aber angeblich fast der gleichen Größe). Darüber wurde doch merkwürdigerweise nicht viel gesprochen, aber wie haben einen joikende Same gehört - and daß war grausamer als die Mücken!

Kunst124.JPG
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sun May 07, 2017 9:48 am

GER: Nochmals etwas gutes auf deutschem Fernsehen: heute Nacht habe ich zwei Sendungen des "Wer weiß doch so was" mit den Herrn Hoëcker und Elton und Quizmaster Pflaume und jedesmal zwei neue Gäste. Ich habe diese Programmserie auf Google nachgeschlagen und einen Hinweis auf dem Mediathek vom 'Ersten' gefunden, wo es so wörtlich heißt "Superhirn Bernhard Hoëcker, der immer wieder mit Wissen überrascht, wo andere noch nicht mal eine Ahnung haben, und Quizmaster Elton sind die Teamchefs in dem neuen, schlauen Wissensspiel "Wer weiß denn sowas?" im Ersten.". Ahem, ja, mir scheint es daß Herr Elton inzwischen das Spiel gelernt hat, und jetzt gewinnt sein Team regelmäßig, gerade weil auch das Supergehirn des Herrn Hoëcker seine Lücken hat. Zum Beispiel wußte er und sein Partner nicht, daß das Berliner Fernsehturm (aber nicht das winzige Berliner Funkturm) höher ist als sowohl das Eiffelturm und das höchste Geldturm in Frankfurt-an-der-Geldgebirg - das wußte ich, und das Team Elton hat es erraten. Und weil ich wußte, das en gewisser Herr Gould Ornitologe war, habe ich erraten können, daß er eher die Wellensittiche nach Europa gebracht hat als irgendwelche Goldhamster oder.. ich habe die dritte Möglichkeit vergessen (aber es war ein Säugetier). Und ich wußte auch, warum die Gondolen von Venedig schwarz sind - das habe ich im Englischen Quiz IQ gelernt: der Doge Priuli hat gedacht, daß die reiche Venezianer ihre Gondolen mit zu viel Glitter und Glanz ausstattete, and dann hat er verordnet, daß sie alle schwarz gemalt werden sollte - so wenn Gondolen bunt sind, muß es diejenige von Las Vegas sein. OK, dies wußte ich - aber meistens sind die Fragen so blöd, daß niemann so was wisse.

Kunst024.JPG

SP: Por la tarde vi toda una serie de programas en 3SAT (en alemán) sobre la culturas desparecidas en América del Sur - de los sangrientes super-ceramistas Moche en la costa peruana a los orfebres Muisca en Colombia. Yo sabía ya la majoría de nombres de los tribú y naciones precolumbianas, pero como la mayoría de los turistas, no he visitado los sitios rilevantes, que se encuentran en parte en localidades bastante inaccesibles. Peró almeno yo sabía que hay más a investigar que los incas, quienes tenían su apogeo poco tiempo antes de que los bárbaros perversos de Europa vinieron y destruyeron todo.

EN: I have also had time to read/studay some popular science articles from Kennislink.nl - though it turned out that when I wanted to check the links they had migrated to a site called nemokennislink.nl - I don't really know what the background to this change is, and the article I studied most closely wasn't even particular old - it was published in February 2016 and is called "Maan ontstond uit frontale planeetbotsing".

DU: De meest populaire wetenschappelijke theorie met betrekking tot die oorsprong van de Maan gaat ervan uit dat een vreemd object ter grootte van Mars (willekeurig genoomd Theia) het gebotst in de vroege Terra een paar honderd miljoen jaar nadat ze was gevormd - en daarna was de maan gevormd uit het materiaal dat uit de grond werd geschopt. Het beste argument om dit aan te nemen is dat de isotopische verdelingen in rotsen meegebracht uit de maan door de Apollo-missies vergelijkbaar zijn met vergelijkbare steen uit de terrane grond, terwijl ze verschillen zijn van die gevonden in verschillende meteorieten. De botsing zou zijn gebeurd in een periode ('de groete bombardement') waarin Jupiter en Saturnus zich zijn geleidelijk verplaatst naar banen, die aanleiding hebben gegeven tot resonantie-effecten op kleine hemellichamen, met de gevolge dat deze kleine lichamen zich sein lukraak verplaatst - en een ervan heeft zo onze planeet gebotst - BUUUM! Het nieuwe in deze artikel is dat sommige onderzoekers uit Californie hebben betoogd dat het een frontale botsing was, terwijl vroegere experimenten hebben suggerert dat het bloots een vleugje schot was - of en 'schampshot' als het genoemt word..

AF: Vir meer verskeidenheid, ek het bestudeer ook 'n paar artikels in Afrikaans uit Die Vryburger sy webwerf, insluitende 'n artikel oor 'n haai wat 392 jaren was toe dit vermoor werd deur 'n vragvol kwaade vissers, en 'n artikel oor 'n stof wat die toksiese proteïenkoeverte van Alzheimer-patienten se breinselle verwyder. En nou zal dit zeker tien of twintig jaar duren voor die controleksperimente is voltooi, en terwyl het 'n miljoen mense vergeet wat hulle genoem word.

Kunst129.JPG
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

It has occurred to me that Bratislava is approaching, and I have started preparing my speech there (about the Germanic languages). It has meant a lot of reading in languages I didn't really need to train (like Danish, English and German), but also meant time spent with things I may have written about earlier, but didn't rememebr in a detailed way - and of course I also need to find images, which effectively also means planning the whole speech ahead. Phew!

Yesterday I mostly dealt with the historical side, and as a consequence I got into reading about haplogroups and migrations. One key article here is the one about the "Yamnaya connection" - which I knew in a Danish version, but now I also have found a version in English. The Yamnaya were a nomadic tribe roaming a vast area North of the Black sea and The Caspian Sea, and now it has been shown that they are the source of a sizeable component of the genetic makeup of us Danes - and also of our neighbours. They probably arrived here around 2800 BA, where our culture basically overnight switched from one cultural pattern to another, i.e. from the 'funnel beaker cultur' (tragtbægerkultur) with its megalitihic monuments to the 'corded ware culture' or 'battle ax culture' (snorebåndskeramik-kultur eller stridsøksekultur) with single graves and a paternalistic hierarchical system - and bronze. And this invasion as likely to have brought us if not real Protoindoeuropean speakers, then at least speakers of an early Indoeuropean-something language to our shores.

But did this language evolve into Protogermanic during the time it took to pass through Eastern Europe? Maybe it did - and then the great 'first consonantal shift' based in Grimm's law occurred at a very early time. On the other hand: when the first attestations of the Germanic languages occur around the year 150 the Germanic languages already covered a large area and had supposedly split into Eastern, Northern and Western Germanic. Could this have happened while the Yamnaya still were marching towards the North West? Not very likely.

It is hard to find hard fats concerning the chronology. Britannia.com briefly claims that "Grimm described two consonant shifts involving essentially nine consonants. One shift (probably a few centuries before the Christian era) affected the Indo-European consonants and is evident in English, Dutch, other Low German languages, and Old Norse. The other shift (about the 6th century ad) was less radical in scope and affected the Germanic consonants, resulting in the consonant system evident in Old High German and its descendants, " . If the first shift - which basically constitutes the birth certificate of the Germanic language group - happened not at the beginning of our bronze age, but at the end of it, then the language brought by the Yamnaya can' t have been ProtoGermanic - and we don't have a clue as to what it then was since no written sources in their language exists. There is a real problem here, and I'm trying to find some materials that elucidate it - but nothing is clear here.

I have also some projects concerning later stages - like why is English supposed to have Frisian as it nearest kin when the venerable Bede only mentions Saxons, Angles and Jutes? Some of the references I have seen try to push out the Jutes and surreptously insert Frisians instead, but Jutes definitely aren't the same thing as Frisians - and they weren't even Frisians around the year 400. In all likelihood the Germanic force under Hengest and Horsa that on the behest of Vortigern took over much of Great Britain were a mixed bunch of Saxons, Angles and Jutes (as indicated by Bede) - and then it would be strange not also to include some token Frisians - given the geographical situation.

And finally I have some things to say about grammatical phenomena across the language borders defined on the basis of the classical 'Stammbaum', like the garbe genitive and the missing -ge in Low German.

And all that has to be researched and laid down as a string of pictures before I leave home. I have started too late...

Videnskab-dk_Yamnaya_cordedware.jpg
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed May 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I took a pause grabbing some examples from Wikipedia, and since I haven't got any definite plan as to how they can be used in B-town I'll put them here:

Swedish:
Bratislava (tyska: Pressburg, ungerska: Pozsony) är huvudstad i Slovakien och har omkring 462 000 invånare (2012). Staden ligger vid Donaus strand, nära gränsen till Österrike. Avståndet till Wien är omkring 60 kilometer. Bratislava är Slovakiens politiska, kulturella och ekonomiska centrum.

Danish:
Bratislava (på tysk Pressburg; på ungarsk Pozsony) er hovedstad og største by i Slovakiet med cirka 427.000 indbyggere (2007). Byen ligger i den sydvestlige del af Slovakiet på begge bredder af Donau. Byen grænser op til både Østrig og Ungarn og er dermed den eneste hovedstad, der grænser op til to andre lande.

Norwegian Bokmål:
Bratislava (tysk: Pressburg; ungarsk: Pozsony) er hovedstaden i Slovakia, og med sine 430 000 innbyggere også landets største by. Byen ligger helt vest i landet, rett ved grensen til Østerrike og Ungarn. Byen er delt i to av elven Donau.

New Norwegian:
Bratislava er hovudstaden og den største byen i Slovakia. Her er det om lag 430 000 innbyggjarar (2009). Byen ligg heilt sørvest i landet, rett ved grensa til Austerrike og Ungarn. Byen er delt i to av Donau. Bratislava og Wien er dei to hovudstadane i Europa som ligg nærast kvarandre, mindre enn 60 km

Faroese:
Bratislava (Týskt: Pressburg, ungarskt: Pozsony) er høvuðsstaður Slovakiu. Hann hevur umleið 462 603 íbúgvar. Slovakia er eitt lýðveldi í Miðevropa. Í útnyrðing hevur Slovakia mark við Kekkia, í norðri við Pólland, í eystri við Ukraina, í suðri við Ungarn og í útsynning við Eysturríki.

Icelandic:
Bratislava er höfuðborg og stærsta borg Slóvakíu. Í borginni búa 419.678 manns (31. desember 2014), en á stórborgarsvæðinu u.þ.b. 600.000. Bratislava er staðsett í suðvesturhluta Slóvakíu og í gegnum borgina rennur áin Dóná. Bratislava er eina höfuðborg heims sem á landamæri að tveimur löndum, Austurríki (Preßburg) og Ungverjalandi (Pozsony)

Ænglisc ('Old English'):
Pressburg is Slofacie burg and þæs rīces hēafodstōl. In geardagum wæs þēos ceaster Ungara cynelica hēafodstōl and Bæme hie anām ni 1918 for hiera nīw rīce be naman Cecoslofacia. On Slofacisc sprǣce is hiere naman Bratislava and on Ungarisc is hine Pozsony.

English:
Bratislava (...) is the capital of Slovakia, and with a population of about 450,000, the country's largest city. The greater metropolitan area is home to more than 650,000 people. Bratislava is in southwestern Slovakia, occupying both banks of the River Danube and the left bank of the River Morava. Bordering Austria and Hungary, it is the only national capital that borders two sovereign states.

Scots:
Bratislava is the Caipital an the muckle maist ceity o Slovakie. The ceety ligs on the river Danube, ane o the maist important rivers in central an eastren Europe. It is in the sooth-wastren pairt o Slovakie an haes a population o 426,000 fowk (2006).

Nordfrisian:
Bratislava as en stää önj e kris Bratislava önj as jü hoodstää foon jü Slowakäi. Deer booge 625.167 manschne (2014). Dåt gebiit foon Bratislava as 367,58 km². Jü inboogertächte as 1.167 manschne pro km². Jü pustliidjtål as 8XX XXX, di forwoolnumer as 421-2 än dåt kfz-kåntiiken as BA.

Seeters (Saterfrisian):
Bratislava is ju Haudstääd fon ju Slowakäi un mäd 427.000 Ienwoonere ju grootste Stääd fon dät Lound. An ju Gränse mäd Ungarn un Aastriek is dät ju eensige Stääd ap ju Waareld ju direkt oun two Stoaten gränsed.

Frisian (Netherlands):
Bratislava is de haadstêd fan Slowakije en mei sa likernôch 426.000 ynwenners ek de grutste stêd fan it lân. De stêd leit yn it súdwesten fan Slowakije, oan beide iggen fan de Donau. De stêd leit oan de grins mei Eastenryk en Hongarije, en is dêrmei de iennichste haadstêd op de wrâld dy't oan twa oare lannen grinzet. Beide lannen hawwe in grutte ynfloed op de ûntjouwing fan de stêd hân. Wenen leit op 60 km ôfstân fan Bratislava.

Dutch:
Bratislava (...) is de hoofdstad van Slowakije. De stad ligt in het uiterste zuidwesten van het land, aan weerszijden van de Donau (met het oude centrum op de linkeroever) en aan de voet van de Kleine Karpaten. Ze telt circa 430.000 inwoners. De stad ligt op korte afstand van zowel Oostenrijk (Wenen op slechts 60 km) als Hongarije (Boedapest op 200 km) (...)

Afrikaans:
Bratislava: in Afrikaans dikwels ook gespel as Bratislawa, is die hoofstad en grootste stad van Slowakye[1] (Sentraal-Europa) met 'n oppervlakte van 367,58 vierkante kilometer en 'n bevolking van 422 932 (soos op 31 Desember 2015). Bratislava is die politieke, kulturele en ekonomiese sentrum van Slowakye en – ondanks sy geskiedenis van meer as 2 000 jaar – een van die jongste hoofstede in Europa.

Letzebürgisch:
Bratislava ass d'Haaptstad vun der Slowakei an huet ongeféier 450.000 Awunner. D'Slowakei (slowakesch: Slovensko) ass eng Republik a Mëtteleuropa. D'Slowakesch Republik gouf a Konsequenz vun der sametter Revolutioun [2] den 1. Januar 1993 onofhängeg. Dovirdru waren d'Slowakei an Tschechien zwou Deelrepublike vum gemeinsame Virgängerstaat Tschechoslowakei.

Limburgisch:
Bratislava is de hoofstad van Slowakije en is mit zien 450 000 ouch drèk de grootste sjtad van det landj. De populasie van 't algeheel metropool gebied is rondj de 600,000 miense. Bratislava lègk in 't zuid-weste van Slowakije, aan beide oevere van de Donau en is de innige nationale hoofsjtad ter waereld dae grèns aan twee lenjer, namelik Oosteriek en Hongarije.

Low German (Platt):
Preßburg (Slowaaksch: Bratislava) is de Hööftstadt vun de Slowakei. Dor leven 426.927 (31. Dezember 2007) Inwahner up en Rebeet vun 367.584 km². Preßburg liggt an de Donau tüschen Wien un Budapest. Dor se blots ruch weg 60 km vun Wien weg liggt, wurrd de beid Städer ok as "twin cities" betekend.

Deitsch (Pennsylvanian German):
Bratislava iss die greescht Schtadt vun der Slowaaki unn hot iwwer 462,603 Eiwuhner. Es iss aa der Owwerichkeit Blatz.

P(f)älzisch:
Pressburg (slowak.: Bratislava) is die Haubdschdadt vun de Slowakai unn midd 417.389 Oiwuhner aa die greeschde Schdadt in dem Lond. Pressburg isses bolidische, wärdschafdlische unn kuldurelle Zendrum vun de Slowakai unn is johrhunnerdelong de Kräänungsord vun de ungarische Käänische gewessd. Pressburg is die äänzische Haubdschdadt uff de Weld, wu mim Schdadtgebied on zwää onnere Schdaade grenze dudd, äämol on Ungarn im Siede, unn on Eestraisch im Weschde.

(High) German:
Bratislava ist die Hauptstadt der Slowakei und mit 422.932 Einwohnern (Stand 31. Dezember 2015) die größte Stadt des Landes. Sie liegt an der südwestlichen Grenze der Slowakei am Dreiländereck mit Österreich und Ungarn und ist damit die einzige Hauptstadt der Welt, die an mehr als einen Nachbarstaat grenzt. Mit ca. 55 km haben Bratislava und Wien den geringsten Abstand zweier europäischer Hauptstädte.

Boarisch/Bairisch:
Bratislava (...) is de Haptstod vo da Slowakei und vo da Bratislavský kraj mid uma 420.000 Eiwonern (2014). Pressburg liegt im Dreiländereck on da Doaner, direkt on de Stootsgrenzen zu Östareich und Ungarn, sowia unweid vo da Stootsgrenz zua da Tschechei (zirka 60 km) und is netta 60 km vo Wean entfernt.

(presumably) Yiddish ... and no, I can't read this stuff:
סלאָװאַקײַ אפיציעל סלאוואקישע רעפובליק, איז אַ לאַנד אין צענטראַל אײראָפּע וואס איז לאנד
איינגעשלאסן. איר הױפּטשטאָט איז בראַטיסלאַװאַ (פרעשבורג) און איר באפעלקערונג איז העכער פון פינף מיליאן.
2 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Iversen wrote:(presumably) Yiddish ... and no, I can't read this stuff:
סלאָװאַקײַ אפיציעל סלאוואקישע רעפובליק, איז אַ לאַנד אין צענטראַל אײראָפּע וואס איז לאנד
איינגעשלאסן. איר הױפּטשטאָט איז בראַטיסלאַװאַ (פרעשבורג) און איר באפעלקערונג איז העכער פון פינף מיליאן.

It is Yiddish, but it's about Slovakia rather than Bratislava ("Slovakay ofitsiel Slovakishe Republik, iz a land in tsentral Eyrope..."). Here's the corresponding Yiddish passage (I combined the whole lede into one paragraph because it would be too short otherwise):

בראטיסלאווא אדער פּרעשבורג (...) איז די הויפטשטאט פון סלאוואקיי. זי איז אמאל (פון 1536 ביז 1783) געווען די הויפטשטאט פונעם אונגארישן קעניגרייך, איידער בודאפעשט האט גענומען דעם טיטל. דער חתם סופר איז געווען רב פון דער שטאט.

Transliteration: Bratislava oder Preshburg (...) iz di hoyptshtot fun Slovakay. Zi iz amol (fun 1536 biz 1783) geven di hoyptshtot funem Ungarishn Kenigraykh, eyder Budapesht hat genumen dem titl. Der Khasam Sofer iz geven rov fun der shtot.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”