Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 am

Iversen wrote:Yemen? I'm not going to Yemen right now. They have a raging civil war with serious interference from Saudi Arabia, and even before the war flared up there was a serious risk of being kidnapped - especially around Sanaa, which is the only place in the country I really would like to see as a tourist. There are places which have become less dangerous, like Colombia and Algeria, but Yemen is going the wrong way. Better stay away.

I didn't mean that you're going to yemen right now, I meant if you had visited in your life, so maybe for example 30 years ago. I know a lady who has worked there and she said that it was beautiful and historical but of course now it's too dangerous.

Iversen wrote:
I have already written in the Romanian text above how to make French fries: I take them frozen from the bag I bought in the supermarket, but then I DON'T throw them into boiling oil - instead I give them 6-7 minutes in the micro and then some time in the oven with the ventilator on until they have got a soft core and a crisp outer shell. And one thing more: In Denmark they are always served with remoulade, NOT ketchup, mayonnaise or other irrelevant semifluids. And they are not soggy and half raw as in Britain - I could say many nice things about the Brits, but they don't have a clue about how to make edible French fries! The Belgians can make good fries, but spoil the experience by soaking them in mayonnaise - like the Germans do with their "Pommes" when they don't drown them in ketchup.

Yes, french fries in England are soggy. I like fish and chips, but the chips are not great. the fish is in a crispy thing, what a pity that the chips aren't. Yes I prefer belgian fries, they are crispy and really nice. You don't have to soak them in mayonnaise!!! But i will be careful with the fries comparison and won't discuss the English chocolate which is disgusting or there'll be a very angry brexit!!!! haha Mostly, English food is delicious and great, and you can find much more international food. I agree with you, I can say many nice things about the Brits as well. They are really funny and joking a lot.

When we make fries we use potatoes and fry them in oil. we don't make fries often. I didn't know your method.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 am

It seems that we'll get the brexit in some form - and the reason doesn't appear to be the British chocolate. As for Yemen: no, I haven't visited that country yet. I did manage to visit Syria while it still was a nice peaceful dictatorship under Hafez Assad, and I visited Tombouctou in Mali one year before the islamic extremists invaded the town.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:04 am

Iversen wrote: I have already written in the Romanian text above how to make French fries: I take them frozen from the bag I bought in the supermarket, but then I DON'T throw them into boiling oil - instead I give them 6-7 minutes in the micro and then some time in the oven with the ventilator on until they have got a soft core and a crisp outer shell. And one thing more: In Denmark they are always served with remoulade, NOT ketchup, mayonnaise or other irrelevant semifluids. And they are not soggy and half raw as in Britain - I could say many nice things about the Brits, but they don't have a clue about how to make edible French fries! The Belgians can make good fries, but spoil the experience by soaking them in mayonnaise - like the Germans do with their "Pommes" when they don't drown them in ketchup.
Curry sauce is often offered with chips at a fish and chip shop. It works quite well. :-)

French fries and chips are not quite the same thing.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 am

Curry sauce would be an interesting alternative. As for the difference between French fries and chips it is pretty clear in my world: chips are so thin that they become uniformly hard all the way through, whereas fries should be soft in the middle - and NOT on the outside. The trouble is that the unofficial British national dish has been dubbed "fish and chips" (specimen bought in Great Yarmouth shown below - and as far as I remember it comprised some fairly decent fries). In Switzerland (and spreading into Southern Germany and Austria) they have got Rösti which are thin sliced potatoes boiled in oil or roasted in butter and served as an impenetrable mesh..

Fish-n-chips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:08 am

Iversen wrote: In Switzerland (and spreading into Southern Germany and Austria) they have got Rösti which are thin sliced potatoes boiled in oil or roasted in butter and served as an impenetrable mesh..
I've been wanting to try this ever since it was mentioned in a Bernie Gunther book (set in Vienna?) :-)

I did once cook, I think a swiss recipe, where you slice the potatoes very thin, arrange them in a frying pan with some melted butter and garlic, then cover the pan and leave them to cook through on a low heat for x minutes, then add some grated cheese on top, and serve once the cheese melts. Not bad!
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:56 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Iversen wrote: In Switzerland (and spreading into Southern Germany and Austria) they have got Rösti which are thin sliced potatoes boiled in oil or roasted in butter and served as an impenetrable mesh..
I've been wanting to try this ever since it was mentioned in a Bernie Gunther book (set in Vienna?) :-)

I did once cook, I think a swiss recipe, where you slice the potatoes very thin, arrange them in a frying pan with some melted butter and garlic, then cover the pan and leave them to cook through on a low heat for x minutes, then add some grated cheese on top, and serve once the cheese melts. Not bad!

Here in Alsace, and on the German side of the border (Baden-Württemberg) Rösti (or Roesti as it is often spelt) is actually a dish in itself. It has the thinly sliced potatoes as basic ingredient but you add a lot of cream, a few slices of bacon, put some cheese on the top (for example fromage de Munster or Emmental), you can also add an egg, and then you cook it in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the potato is soft, the cream boiling and the cheese completely melted. A really nice dish on a cold winter's day but not something for anyone on a diet!
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Ogrim wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

Here in Alsace, and on the German side of the border (Baden-Württemberg) Rösti (or Roesti as it is often spelt) is actually a dish in itself. It has the thinly sliced potatoes as basic ingredient but you add a lot of cream, a few slices of bacon, put some cheese on the top (for example fromage de Munster or Emmental), you can also add an egg, and then you cook it in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the potato is soft, the cream boiling and the cheese completely melted. A really nice dish on a cold winter's day but not something for anyone on a diet!

Except for your adulterating it with Munster instead of Emmentaler... :lol: :lol:

We eat Rösti both ways at my house, as a side and as a dish.

I agree firmly with Iversen on what fries should be - crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. But ketchup with nutmeg. And if you want to go straight from potatoes to fries without drop frying, slice and soak them in water first to get the starch out, toss in oil, and bake in the oven.
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Systematiker wrote:Except for your adulterating it with Munster instead of Emmentaler... :lol: :lol:

Don't you dare say that if you ever visit Alsace ;) . Here we can put Munster on almost everything - I once had a huge Schweinshaxe cooked in loads of Munster, served with a green salad and homemade pommes frites. Yummy! :D

I'll stop derailing Iversen's log with food discussions now.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I just wonder whether the Llorgs actually are more interested in cooking than they are in learning languages. But it has been very entertaining to read about the use of rösti in foreign countries.

Which reminds me about another strange fact about France: the French apparently like to eat their steaks almost raw - if I ever choose to eat a steak there I'll have to tell the cook to fry it until it stops being elastic (and stops being red inside).

And a sorry fact about Denmark: it is very difficult to find pizzerias that serve pizza napoletana (or whatever they choose to call it) with anchovies, olives and capers. In most other European countries - at least in Southern Europe - it is served everywhere and it is my favorite variant.

PizzaNapoletana_Carcassonne.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Iversen wrote:I just wonder whether the Llorgs actually are more interested in cooking than they are in learning languages. But it has been very entertaining to read about the use of rösti in foreign countries.

Which reminds me about another strange fact about France: the French apparent like to eat their steaks almost raw - if I ever choose to eat a steak there I'll have to tell the cook to fry it until it stops being elastic (and stops being red inside).

And a sorry fact about Denmark: it is very difficult to find pizzerias that serve pizza napoletana with anchovies, olives and capers. In most other European countries - at least in Southern Europe - it is served everywhere and it is my favorite variant.

PizzaNapoletana_Carcassonne.jpg
I thought herring was the only fish allowed in Danish kitchens? The outlaw life is more glamorous on TV than reality Iversen, consider the consequences of your actions.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”