Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm

The message I wrote yesterday has tumbled down to page three ... and hurray for that, because it shows that you guys are quite active here at the beginning of 2018. I have also been active, though mostly with things that have little to do with language studies. I finished a concerto yesterday, and it took most of the evening to scan it and remove red blotches where I had made an error and convert the lines for the parts for percussion thingies without a definite pitch from signs on an ordinary quintuple staff to signs on a single blue line etc. etc. By the way, it takes some accustomization to get used to call a cembalo "harpsichord", but I do know that this is the name in English ... but for me the name "harpsichord" reminds me of the Elizabethan epoch and the excellent composers that lived back then. Only when I had to write the name in IMSLP it occurred to me that I ought to use the correct name in English for the instrument. My apologies ...

This reminds me of a discovery I did earlier with a composition in which I had inadvertently used the denomination "big drum" for the thing that is called "gran cassa" in Italian and "stortromme" in Danish - but no, it should be called "Bass drum" in English, because "big drum" is something used by Caribbean musicians when they need a really deep FTHUMPFF sound. There are other terminological complications in the kitchenware department. How do you call a drum without snares? If it is high with a relatively deep cylinder then it is associated with the battle drums of yore, but I want something the size and approximate pitch of a snare drum that sounds less like a power drill gone mad. Wikipedia mentions the "concert toms", but I'm not quite sure whether this really is the instrument used by classical percussionists. Another problem: if you want a really loud TSJIMP!!! then you call for cymbals. Fine, but when you just want a slightly metallic tinge added to a soft orchestral murmur you can also ask for cymbals - but you don't now whether the percussionist then will try to rub his metal extremely gently or instead use a soft stick on a suspended single cymbal nicked from his son's percussion set. Similarly, there is the assumption that triangles are played with a metal rod, but the resultant sound can unfortunately be used to drill holes in glass. Usually you let the player use his/her common sense, but if you really want to be specific and precise in your instructions to the percussion staff then you ought to write the exact kind of rod or stick AND the approximate pitch level you expect. Yet you almost never see this done - except maybe in scores by Mahler and a few other late romantic composers.

And if you want to use the alluring possibilities of a rock percussion set in classical music then you will probably discover that those who can do wizardry on such an armoury assortment haven't bothered to learn to read notes. Don't tell them what to do - they don't listen (actually they can't listen since they can't hear anything below 110 DB). Just get your earplugs and pray....

By the way (speaking about percussion instruments): when I checked some instrument names on the internet I happened upon the site http://www.orsymphony.org and guess what it has put under the 'percussion family': THE PIANO!!!!!! hahahaha. I guess any selfrespecting pianist who might chance to read this must feel like a like a surgeon who finds his/her job categorized under 'butchers'.

GER: Ich habe 3SAT in den letzten paar Stunden auf meinem Fernseher laufen lassen. Im Moment gibt es eine Sendung über die nordische Region, wo wir unter anderem den 24 Kilometer langen Aurland-Tunnel in Norwegen besucht haben und danach einen Eistunnel auf Island. IC: Því miður hef ég bara þurft að slökkva á hljóðinu vegna þ ess að íslensk kona syngur á ferðalagi sem er fyllt með varnarlausum ferðamönnum. POR: Mas antes havia um programa dos Açores onde a gente gentilmente não imediatamente falou alemão acima ao português. Por isso, obrigado. IC: Og nú er hin íslenska leiðsögukvenna aftur að kveina og öskra, að þessu sinni að stræto fullt af kínversku fólki. Og hún segir (á ensku) að hún nýti verk sitt! En núna er í viðtali við íslenskan kona sem sér tröll og álfar með skörpum eyru og öðrum yfirnáttúrulegum verum - en læknirinn hennar hefur staðfest að hún sé alveg eðlileg. Já, eðlileg Á ISLANDI !!

Børnemusik.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Since I wrote here two days ago I have revised and uploaded two small trios and not done any real hardcore language study - but that's not really different from the preceding days, and I still have to revise one miniature trio and invent a new one because there is a hole in my opus list because I moved the content of opus 35 away, and besides it would seem logical to produce a trio for flute and viola and cello when I have trios for oboe and viola and cello (op. 36), clarinet and viola and cello (op. 37) and bassoon and 2 contra basses (op. 38) (until I get that disaster changed to bassoon and viola and cello). Luckily the next unrevised and unpublished item is a somewhat undistinguished violin concerto, which it will take a long time to get ready for publication - which means that I may be able to summon enough will power to postpone that project.

But I have of course watched television, and today I got a shock when I switched to NDR from Germany at 17:30 - the apparatus spoke another kind of German than before Christmas:

GER: Plötzlich waren alle n's am Ende der Worte stumm geworden. Zum Beispiel waren alle die Futter-Heuschrecken übernacht "Heuschrecke■" geworden, und 'geworden' war 'geworde■' geworde■. Und ja, jetzt zeige■ sie Tiere von Wilhelmina Tiergarte■ in Stuttgart statt Tiere aus Hellabrunn in Münche■ - aber ich habe beide Institutione■ besucht und sehe gleich gerne Sendunge■ aus Stuttgart wie die aus Münche■.

Danach habe ich wie gewöhnlich das Quiz "Wer weiß doch so was" geschaut und die fast vollständige Abwesenheit von Musikgeräusch genossen. Aber leider befragen sie immer noch unkundige Mitglieder des Publikums, und das lückenhafte Paratwissen und Fähigkeit der Teilnehmer zur logischen Deduktion sind mir immer noch eine Quelle der Verwunderung. Wie kann man NICHT wissen, daß Helmkasuare lebensgefärliche Vögel sind, weil sie enorm grosse Krallen haben, mit den sie eine Menschenmagen problemlos aufschlitzen können? Meine Schlußfolgerung daraus ist, daß die Teilnehmer nicht genügend Fernsehsendungen aus Zoos gesehen haben.

DA: Og så har jeg forresten besøgt den nye middelalderafdeling i Moesgård museum lidt syd for Aros. De har en del materiale om en episode der involverer sorberne (ja! dem nede i Tyskland!). Slaverne i Nordtyskland hed 'vender' i gamle dage, og som følge af indre uenighed flygtede en lokal leder i slutningen af 100-årne til Falster i Danmark, hvor han så boede med sine fæller i 30 år. Og nu har man så fundet blandt andet aftrykket af et skib og diverse efterladenskaber, som de ikke tog med hjem efter de 30 år. Siden er det som bekendt gået ned ad bakke for dem, og i dag er der vist kun lidt sorbisk folkekultur omkring Görlitz tilbage.

Museet udstiller også et eksemplar af Skånske lov på middeldansk. Temmelig mange danskere kan citere starten af Jyske Lov ("Mæth logh skal land byggiæs"), men der var også landskabslove i andre dele af riget, herunder Skåne (se billedet nedenfor).

SW: Och nej, nej och nej, dette borde inte ha skrivits på svenska. Skånes landskapslagar skrevs länge före Gustav Wasa och Karl den Tionde och freden i Brömsebro, och vid den tidan talades danska i Skåne! De enda som har bevarat en pytteliten smula av den gamla skånska dialekten är innbyggerne på øen Bornholm, som förblev danska.

F5732a0x_SkånskeLov.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:10 am

SP: Primeramente quiero agradecer a la Lechuza Parda para enseñarme una nueva palabra - sin su ayuda yo no haya sabído que estoy escribiendo en mi bitácora multiconfusa. ¿Y porque escribir en español hoy? Porque ayer sucedió por casualidad a ver TVE desde España en la tarde, donde presentaron una transmisión prolongada desde la cavalgada de los reyes magos en Madrid, que se resolvió ste año bajo lluvia - por lo que se puedria ver llovia a cántaros. Però havia mucha gente en las calles malgrado el tiempo pesimo - en los años mas favorecidos tiene que haver aún mas espectadores.

GER: Wenn ich eine solche Parade sehe, erinnere ich mich an den 4. Juli in Texas, wo ich zufällig am rechten Ort war, und natürlich an die vielen Fernsehübertragungen von Faschingsaufzügen in Deutschland - leider habe ich diese Aufzüge nicht persönlich erlebt. Und jetzt wo wir in diesem Teil der Welt sind: Ich bin gerade dabei den ersten Teil des Neujahrskonzerts aus Wien nochmals zu sehen ... SV och konstigt nog är det med svensk prat åtminstone i den första delen - det blir spännande att se vad som händer i andra halvlek! * GER: Ich habe übrigens meiner Mutter davon unterrichtet, weil sie den ersten Teil verpasst hat, weil das dänische Fernsehen diesen Teil schändlicherweise am Neujahrstag nicht gesendet hat. Davor gab es ein Neujahrskonzert mit dem Dänischen Radio-Sinfonieorchester, unter dem sie zuletzt einige Werke von H.C. Lumbye spielten haben, die mit den Wiener Meisterwerken sehr wohl die Konkurrenz aufnehmen könnten: "Kjøbenhavns Jernbane Dampgalop" og "Champagnegaloppen".

Edit: DA: I anden del er der hverken svensk eller dansk eller tysk kommentar eller kommentar i noget som helst andet sprog. Måske siger maestro Muti det traditionelle "Prosit Neujahr" til folkemængden senere i programmet, men ellers er der ingen der siger et kvæk. Det var der ellers nytårsdag, men måske har de glemt at slå båndoptageren til, eller de har sendt kassettebåndet med optagelsen via Postnord, og så ser vi den tidligst en gang i 2025.

EN: Apart from that I have some dreams to report. First it should be mentioned that that I began the recomposing of my third little trio op. 38, the one for bassoon and two double basses, which henceforth will be featuring viola and violoncello in addition to the bassoon (a somewhat more palatable, though not less excentric combination - and more in line with the other small trios op. 36 and 37). I finished the first movement (with parts) around 5:30 this morning and then went to bed. This might explain that I woke up around 10 o'clock with my head full of snippets from dreams, some with language related content.

In the first dream I was in a big three storey library, where I among other thing went into a somewhat dusty and oldfashioned musical section with one goggleeyed male librarian, lots of notesheets in brown paper binders and a somewhat underwhelming collection of study partitions. Later on I passed past a lot of shelf systems with novels, and I noticed a section marked "Serbisk" ('Serbian' in Danish). But I don't read novels in any language these days so I just passed by.

In the second dream (which was lucid) I had arrived at a train station somewhere in the Netherlands or Flanders, and for some reason I wanted to get to a big cultural center at the outskirts of the town. I somehow knew that it was called Konzum (a name borrowed from the supermarket chain I used in Tuzla in Bosnia), but on a map at the station I had also noticed the name "Stelverden" which might be the district where it was located. I found a tourist information in a nearby street and ventured in to get more information about how to get to Konzum. Here a nice elderly man answered to my questions, and I asked something like "Kunt u me zeggen of Konzum in Stelverden is?", and he answered me in Dutch. Unfortunately I don't remember the answer, but I think it was affirmative - and definitely in Dutch. I have of course looked "Stelverden" up through Google, but alas a place with that name doesn't exist.

DU: PS: Ik vergat dat de vorige paragraaf in het Nederlands had moeten zijn geschreven. Mijn excuses voor het ongemak.

EN: In the third dream (also lucid and maybe a direct sequel to the preceding one - I'm not quite sure of the relative chronology) I ventured into a building - maybe some kind of a combined shopping and cultural center - with an art museum on at least three floors plastered to one side, from which you could look out over a pretty green landscape with a small river. I saw some pretty paintings with African motives and in African style ... but not a word was uttered in this dream as far as I remember. Actually this is the case in a large part of my dreams: I walk around and look at things, but don't engage that much in conversations.

SP: A continuación se muestra una foto de la cabalgata 2015 en Málaga (donde el climate fue excelente):

F5120b05_Cabalgata.jpg
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

PS: I just stumbled over an article written by the illustrious professor Krashen, in which he bluntly states that ..

"I have reviewed the research showing that writing itself does not contribute to language or literacy development. The arguments are: (1) those who write more do not write better; (2) increasing student writing does not increase writing quality or any other aspect of literacy; and (3) we do not write enough to account for the complexity of the written language. The third point is only an argument against the strong hypothesis that writing is the only way we “learn to write,” but arguments (1) and (2) destroy even a weak form of the “writing hypothesis,” the position that writing makes a contribution to literacy development."

I haven't read those earlier reviews and surely only a infinitesimal fraction of the research he has peroused, but as it stands these cleams can't be taken seriously - unless they refer to people who already have learnt to write at a decent level. Can you learn to ride a bicycle without trying? No. Can you learn to swim without trying? No (unless you are a newborn baby). Can you learn to speak without saying a word? Well, Saxo Grammaticus writes in his Gesta Danorum that Uffe hin Spage, son of Vermund, didn't speak until he as a grown-up man offered to take on the challenge a double duel with a Saxon prince and one of his warriors, and then he made his statement in impeccable Latin (or maybe Saxo just translated it from Ancient Danish, haha) ... and went on to kill the two impertinent Saxons. Apart from that I doubt that you can learn to speak a language without at some point saying something. So why should writing be different?

One problem is that the researchers may have focused too narrowly on the results of forcing students to write long treatises on top of their other writing activities. I doubt that they have compared writing test persons with control groups consisting of fanatical never-ever-writers or sheer analphabets. Personally I think that I would be unable to write fluently in a new language if I didn't try to do it - and having a bitácora is a good way of forcing yourself to write at least something once in a while. And then there is a stage where you can construct sentences with the help of dictionaries and greens sheets or fullblown grammars, and I have passed through that stage with every single one of my languages except Danish. And besides there is always the question of focus: if you use your writing activities to learn language instead of demonstrating your knowledge about differential geometry or the eating habits of vegans versus carnivores then you actually MAY get a boost to your linguistic competence. But just writing along because the teacher says so is likely just to keep your preexisting skills alive (and your teacher or research assistant happy).

So even without having read those research reports I suspect that they have been looking under the street lamp because there is more light there ... but the real treasure isn't buried there.

..and just now maestro Muti as expected said "Die Wiener Philharmoniker wünschen Ihnen Prosit Neujahr".

Kunst110-pars.jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Iversen wrote:(...) it would seem logical to produce a trio for flute and viola and cello (...) and bassoon and 2 contra basses (op. 38) (until I get that disaster changed to bassoon and viola and cello) (...)

1) will be undertaken in the coming week (from ground zero since it is a new composition)
2) done

And now I'm going to study a couple of Russian texts about the town Petrozavodsk..
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

1: I did finish the brand new trio for flute, viola and cello
2: I did the reinstrumentation of the trio for (now) bassoon, viola and cello (and in the process basically rewrote the whole thing)
3: I read the violin concerto and found that it was slightly less miserable than I had thought, and the written score from the 90s was almost legible so I decided to opload it 'as is'.

The net result is that I for the time being - and for the first time in several weeks - don't have a musical project running, and that means that I have been able to do some real studying... and I chose Indonesian for the simple reason that the first thing I saw on my notestand with study texts was the Indonesian collection with the 18 waterfalls and the zoological parks which I have mentioned earlier, but not read in its entirety yet. Besides I have watched TV while I was studying - let's start out with that. I am right now watching the end of the middle part of a Swedish program about the vikings on SVT2, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

SW: Vi har besökt Gamla Uppsala och vikingstaden Birka. Sändningen skiljer mellan "vendeltiden" och "vikingatiden", och Birka representerar klart vikingtiden, medan Gamla Uppsala hade sin höjdpunkt från slutet av folkvandringen till vikingetidens början, cirka 500 till 800 evt, alltså vendeltiden. I Gamla Uppsala finns tre (tidigare fem) stora gravhöjder over konger og många mindre över stormænd från tiden mellan år 500 och år 600, men den ble senare utvalt til ärkebiskopsäte genom (re)introduktionen av kristendomen och staden levde vidare och var i 1500-talet förmodligen Sveriges största stad. Och den finns också i våra dagar, även om dess roll nu är mindre framträdande.. Birka grundades som en isolerad bosättning av främlingar, inte av områdets egna bosättare, och från början hade den en tydlig kommersiell och "modern" känsla. Sändningen skiljer mellan "vändpunkten" och "vikingatiden", och Birka representerar klart vikingtiden.

Birka grundades som en isolerad bosättning av invandrare, kanske från andra håll i Sverige, men åtminstone inte av områdets egna invånare, och dens invånare levde tydligen sitt eget liv utan mer kontakt med sina grannar enn absolut nödvändigt. Dess relationer gick till liknande städer på andra håll, till exempel den dubbelt stora staden Hedeby nära staden Schleswig, som nu ligger i Tyskland, och det är interessant at det var här att missioneren Ansgar ankom och fik tilstånd att bygge en kirke. Men Birka brändes ner i slutet av 900-talet, förmodligen efter order från kungen som tyckte att staden hade blivit för självstyrande og autonom, och den byggdes aldrig upp igen (vilket dagens svenska arkeologer är jättebelåtne över sedan de kann hitta alla sorters saker i marken bara de snurrar med en spade). Ärkebiskopsätet flyttades till Sigtuna och i år 1164 videre till Uppsala. Och i Uppsala finns det såvisst fortfarande en ärkebiskop. I alla fall har de en domkyrka som står eksakt där som de stora offren (bloten) ägde rum i hedningatiden, som har beskrivits av Adam of Bremen.

Kanalen har fortsatt med en sändning om samer, som jag tildels inte kan lyssna til eftersom de jojkar (sjungar) hela tiden, ock det står jag inte ut med. Jag har emellertid sett att handeln med samerna långe drivits av "bir-karlar", som tjänade mycket pengar på sitt monopol. Karl den nionde bröt monopolet, och det ledde till skapandet av städer som Jokkmokk, men inte till mer välstånd och frihet för samerna - speciellt inte när silver upptäcktes ved Arjeplog och samerna ble tvungna att utföra transporten ock tilldels gruvarbetet.

GER: Vor der schwedischen Sendung über die Wikinger sah ich im NDR ein Programm über einen Ort namens Darß, wo viele Kraniche - bis zu 30.000 - während der Migration sich niederlassen. Und es gibt dort ganzjärig ganz viele andere Vögel (und Hirsche und Wildschweine), und es ist alles Nationalpark geworden - aber in der Saison von Touristen übergefüllt.

BA I: Seperti yang telah disebutkan, saya juga telah mempelajari sedikit bahasa Indonesia - dua air terjun (satu air terjun dengan dua warna dan satu lain dengan air dingin dan satu patung Patih Gadjah Mada) dan daftar kata dengan tentang dua ratus kata.

SW: Nedan är en skärmdump från TV-sändningen om samerna - och jag är verkligen inte någon expert, men jag tyckas att deras trähus ser ut ungefär som bilderna från rekonstruktioner av stadan Birka ... Om inte damen hade haft jeans på (och en annan i samisk folkdräkt inte hade ersatttet henne) kunde jag ha gissat fel. Huvudskillnaden tycks vara att brädorna stod vertikalt i Birka, men ligger horisontellt i samehusen.

Sameby.jpg

Birka-hus.jpg

GER: Die rekonstruierte Häuser (und Frauen) von Haithabu sehen tatsächlich eher anders aus wegen ihrer großen Strohdächer und Lehmwänden, die mir vom friesischen Bauart erinnern:

haithabu (Wikipedia).jpg
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 pm

I watched the third and last part of the program about the viking age on Swedish TV2 today, and this one mostly dealt with the Christianization and the time right after. The irony is that Ansgar who founded the bishop seat in Birka, which was later transferred to Sigtuna and from there to Uppsala, represented the Archbishop seat in Bremen in Germany, and after his adventures in Svealand he returned home to Bremen and was appointed to the job as Archbishop there. But the Danes got the papal blessing to have their own archbishop in Lund (back then a part of Denmark) and they promptly started to build the magnificent romanesque cathedral which still stands there. Not to be outdone, the Swedes got their own archbishop (named Stefan) from 1164 in Uppsala, so effectively the influence of the seat in Bremen was soon gone in all of Scandinavia. Btw. Sweden still has an archbishop, and her name is Antje Jackelén.

Today I have read about astronomy (in Serbian and Dutch) and about travels (in Romanian).

RO: Am vizitat Cluj, Oradea și Alba Iulia în anul 2017 și am cumpărat acolo mai multe cărți inclusiv una despre prima călătorie în străinitate în viețile unor români contemporani. De asemenea, am cumpărat o carte despre apariție vieții pe Pământ și acela a fost destul de ușor de citit. Cartea despre călătorii este mai mult dificilă, deoarece este mai mult caracterizată de limba vorbită. Pot să o citesc, dar nu fără ca să lipsească pe multe cuvinte, întrucât în timp ce este ideal ca obiect de studiu pentru același motiv. Permiteți-mi să citez din raportul lui Dan Lungu, cel care a putut să întreprinde o călătorie de studiu în sudul Franței în 1991 (după căderea lui Ceaușescu) și care se aflat o noapte întreagă acum în afara ambasadei franceze să aibă o viza franțeza:

Noroc că eram căalit la cozile pentru lapte, carne, ulei şi zahăr din anii' 80, așa că o noapte petrecută în fața ambasadei nu a fost decât un bun prilej de rememorare, nu fără năduf, a istoriei recente. (...) Abia când m-am văzut cu viza pe pașaport, am reuşit să fac inventarul nasturilor rupți şi, de bucuria izbânzii, să uit toate ghionturile şi coatele primite în coaste în îmbulzeala de acolo.

Prima mea vizită la București a avut loc la mijlocul anilor '70 ca parte a unei călătorii interrail. M-aveam așezat într-un vagon direct la București într-un tren căruia restul a mers la Budapesta. La Subotica (la granița cu Ungaria) singurul meu vagon a fost răsturnat după o locomotivă cu abur, apoi ne-am îndreptat încet spre Kikinda, unde toți în afară de mine au ieșit din tren. De aceea am fost singurul pasager care a trecut frontiera, iar aici vagonul a fost literalmente impartit de vameși și jandarmi, care, de asemenea, m-au zis să schimb o sumă în monedă convertibilă pe zi ca eu ar trebui sa fiu in România - din fericire am spus doar "trei zile" - dar am trebuit să călătorească la taxi și înnoptească la un hotel pentru a să cheltui banii (în restul călătoriei am dormit în trenuri și cumpărat alimente în supermarketuri). Și, într-adevăr, nu am reușit - prețurile au fost prea scăzute și nu era nimic de cumpărat în magazine (de fapt nu erau aproape nici magazine), deoarece mi-am spălat ultimul lei prin toaleta trenului, pentru că nu era permis să-i exportați.

SE: Поред тога, проучавао сам неке чланке из Србије са Интернета о сазвежђењима, а заправо су били прилично лаки разумети.

F3310b01_GaraDeNord_Bucuresti_(2006).jpg
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I went for a family visit Friday and returned today, and now my log is at page 5 - so it seems like the publication rate has risen since New Year. Hurray. Actually I don't have much to report since I generally don't get much studying done during family visits, but I did read some more of the Romanian book about travels. In the train back I tried running through a page, look up unknown words and immediately transfer them to a three-column wordlist, do the expected repetitions and then return to actually read the page. In principle this system functions, but I stopped because I hardly could read the printing in the micro Langenscheidt dictionary I had carried along and the train ride was just bumpy enough to make it hard to write.

The procedure nicely fills out the hole between languages which are so weak that I still copy texts and put unknown words in the the margin column AND languages which are so strong that I don't care about losing a number of new words along the way. The main problem is that I still might be tempted to attempt to read the text before culling the unknown words in it. Romanian non fiction generally fall in the last category, but the present book (and presumably Romanian poetry) is just that bit harder which makes me want to use it as a study object.

Apart from that: I have been watching TV, though mainly in languages like Danish, English, Swedish and German. One welcome exception from this was a series of three programs about Thailand in Dutch, which was shown on Danish TV. And besides I have revised the channel list on my mother's Astra receiver. As I have written earlier her hornbeam has been acquitted - the culprit that blocks the reception for half of the year every year turned out to be her laburnum - but I was annoyed that the image for most channels still was flimsy (and weather dependent!). Then I made a new channel search, threw out the junk and put the rest in a more sensible order. The majority are in German (some 60 channels), and then there are a few exceptions (Euronews in French and German, Sky news in English and one channel in Russian), but until a year or so ago there were also programs in Spanish, Italian, French and even Dutch (or Flemish). These were gone last fall, and the search didn't bring them back. Well, in practice it won't change much since I obviously don't watch programs in languages which my family don't understand when they are watching too, but it is still annoying not to have access to those outsider programs..

Kunst146.JPG

CA: A propòsit, acabo de llegir alguns articles sobre l'evolució de les balenes (ja que per casualitat vaig esmentar balenes amb cames en un altre fil). Com hom pot esperar, hi ha un article bastant llarg sobre el tema a la Viquipèdia anglesa, però l'article català també és bastant bo. I tots dos contenen una informació bastant interessant, a saber: que els parents més propers de les balenes són els hipopòtams. L'avantpassat més primitiu de les balenes era una mena d'ungulat carnívor anomenat Pakicetus ('cetus' = ballena) que vivia fa uns cinquanta-tres milions d'anys durant l'Eocè.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

EO: Mi nun subskribis por la renkontiĝo en Bratislavo kaj rezervis apartamenton preter busohalto kun buso rekte al la okazaĵo-loko. Mi ankoraŭ ne pagis kaj ankaŭ devas trovi titolon por mian prelegon 2018 - verŝajne estos daŭrigo de la prelegoj de la pasinta jaro pri ĝermana lingva historio, sed ĉi-foje en la germana. Oni ankoraŭ ne povas sugesti prelegojn, do ne necesas trovi la ĝustan titolon ankoraŭ. Mi ankaŭ konsideris kiel konstruiĝas itinero per Bratislavo (kion mi kompreneble iam vizitis ). Mi ankoraŭ ne scias kiel alveni (eble tra Viena flughaveno), sed mi iras poste al Kosice (kie estas proksima zoo), kaj de tie probable al Lviv en Ukrainujo kaj hejmen kun wizz tra Berlino.

RO: Am continuat să citesc cartea românească de călătorie a mea cu construirea cuvânt-listui înainte, dar acum mă simt din ce în ce mai tentat să fac in loc un cuvânt-list direct din dicționar, deoarece este nevoie de foarte mult timp pentru a găsi cuvintele textului la dicționar. totuși este necesar să încă studiem cuvintele din texte, deoarece apar acolo în alte forme decât cele văzute într-un dicționar.

Kunst142.JPG
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:03 pm

SW: Jag hinnar nog inte med att dölja att jag gillar surrealistisk konst, och idag har jag set en sändning på svensk tv om målaren Leonora Carrington, som var irländare av ursprung och medlem av en nyrik familj. Men hon passade inte in i särskilt faderens förväntningar, och hon flydde från honom och resten av familjen och drog till Paris där hon blev medlem i en avantgardistisk konstnergrupp som inkluderade Max Ernst. Men när Hitler invaderade Frankrike, måste hun åtar fly, och hon gifte sig med en mexikansk diplomat och reste med honom till Ciudad de Mexico där hon blev resten av sitt liv. Hon fikk twå barn, men det var med en ungrare, och hon dog i 94 års ålder.

SP: Señora Carrington no sabia ni una sola palabra español cuando llegó a Mexico, pero con una vida de tantos años estoy seguro de que lo aprendió. Y dado que ella vivió tantos años en un país de habla hispana y nunca regresó a Inglaterra, fue natural para mí buscar fuentes en español en el Internet. Hallé en particular un sitio web que representa una Fundación en su nombre, donde se puede ver muchas de sus pinturas así como algunos videos (la banda abajo viene de allí). Y aqui hay una biografía con algunas illustraciones.

Carrington.jpg

DA: Og så har jeg for øvrigt brugt et par dage på at reparere min strygekvartet nr. 3 op. 48, der nu kan beskues på hjemmesiden IMSLP/Petruccio sammen med en masse andre tidsrøvende opusser.

EDIT
: (SP) Leyendo más articulos en la red sobre E.Carrington descubrió por acaso otra surrealista feminina: Remedios Varo (eh, de hecho María de los Remedios Alicia Rodriga Varo y Uranga). Las pinturas en las Wikipedia en español y en inglés son muy atrayentes, y yo no sabia nada de ella antes y no havia jamás visto nada de su producción. ¿Quantas más hay?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”