Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 pm

LA: Hodie post intermissum extensum rursus aliquas paginas libri secundi de Harrio Potteri copiavi/studiavi ut latinam meam activam recuperet, praecipue lingvam utilem vitae meae cotidianae. Bone, aliquis obiicere poteret quod universum magicum Harrii non verosimile esse, et ego potius Petronium studiare deberem ... sed ego Colosseum vidi, et nunc ruinam est, circumdata autocinitis aurobiritibusque et personae cum perspicillis, ergo mundus romanorum mihi non propinquor est quam mundus magicus de Harrio quem in televisionem vidi. Istud problema generale est: num liberi futuri semper veritatem malent se fictio iis verosimilitior ac mirabilior paret? Se panda magna aut rhinoceros sumatrensis extincti iit, quid agit? Taenias antiquas habimus, et taenias novas facere possumus cum technica digitale quae de realitate non distingendae sunt. Iam taenias cum dinosauris videmus a latere taeniarum cum Trump et Rajoj et Xi Jinpin. Et nuntiae mediarum est media mendacia. Se res ita iam sunt, cur non etiam Potterem studiare ut latinam cotidianam mundi nostris discere?

IC: Ég er nú að horfa á sjónvarpsþáttur um eldgos í alheiminum - en hvar veljar NASA að kynna eldgos? Island! Og fljótlega verður eg vera þar ...

Kunst119.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am

As I mentioned a few days ago I keep of all the zoos and aquaria I visit. Why not also museums, cathedrals, ruins and supermarkets? Well, mostly because the registration process would take forever, and if I decided to make the list now I would probably miss many items. Zoos and aquaria is a manageable subgroup of all the sights I have visited, and I have kept adding informations to this list at least from the 90s - not long after I decided to put some order to my old travel memories.

This morning I spent some time trying to estimate the number of castles and museums and (big) churches I have visited, starting out with Denmark and followed by Scandinavia, Germany, the British Isles, Benelux and France. As a control I also counted zoos, which should give me an idea about the number of places I didn't remember while counting. The method is to run through a route through each country and making a mark for each institution I remember, and my numbers for museums/castles/ruins and zoos/aquaria are 190 resp. 39. But since I can see on my zoo/aquaria list that I actually have visited 51 fauna oriented sights it is clear that the number of visited museums must be far higher than 192.

So I'm going to stick to the zoo list (p.t. 535 items) and just leave scattered (and uncountered) references to the other categories in my diaries/travelogues.

The last couple of days I have been looking through the zoo informations in my system, and now ... tadah ... at last something that has something to do with language learning. Basically I want enough information about each location to make it possible for me to remember how it was to visit each one. Therefore the task isn't to describe the places as they are today, but to add information that also was relevant when I visited them. And that takes me to sites in a fair number of languages.

FR: Par example j'ai découvert que j'avait oublier de noter les détails pour les lieux que j'avais visité pendant ma dixième et (jusque maintenant) dernière voyage d'Interrrail, tels les jardins zoologiques d'Amiens et Montpellier et les aquariums de Boulogne-sur-Mer (Nausikaa), Montpellier et Cap d'Agde. Donc j'ai utilisé Google pour trouver soit les pages des institutions, soit des descriptions d'autre sources - et parfois même les commentaires sur des sites comme Tripadvisor. Dans ce cas je me suis du moins procuré des plans, ce que est intéressant pour moi non tellement pour leur valeur documentaliste, mais plutôt parce que une des meilleures manières de me rappeller les visites est de m'imaginer que j'y flâne encore une fois.

SP: A veces es difícil encontrar algo que valga la pena robar, especialmente cuando se trata de lugares que se cerraron antes de la edad de internet. Lo más molesto caso de este categoría es un acuario que creo que visité en Blanes en 1975. No he podido encontrar ninguna confirmación en l'Internet de que alguna vez haya existido, pero lo he mencionado en una nota sobre mi viaje a Blanes. Y me recuerdo vagamente que fuera cerca del puerto. Todas mis búsquedas para "acuari(o) Blanes" a través de Google conducen a una tienda contemporánea de acuarios.

BU: Други търсения са по-успешни. Веднъж посетих зоологическа малка градина и аквариум във Варна - български град на Черно море. По това време не можех да намеря нещо полезно в интернет, но сега има дори уебсайт за зоопарк. И естествено се възползва от тази за да събера една текстова колекция, включваща подробната история от Софийската зоопарк.

ZooParkVarna.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 am

Yesterday I spend some time on an old hobby, namely composing music. As the more assiduous readers of this log may remember I revised some old compositions earlier this year and uploaded them to the site imslp.org (also known as Petrucci). I got stuck in a suite for brass and strings, but decided to rewrite it for brass alone. I have now started this, but since removing the strings also removes the instruments that make most of the background muttering the process will change the work fundamentally. And then the rewriting takes longer time.

On the other hand, I did also succeed in finding time for some serious studying. For instance I have done an hour's worth of retranslation using the text about Varna zoo (not the biggest and not the best zoo in the world, but at least one that figures on my personal zoo list), and when I was tired of retranslating I continued with ordinary copying. Copying text sounds like a waste of time, but it isn't - it gives me time to check that I understand everything, it results in a list of new words (ready to enter into a three-colum wordlist) and I remember the sentences better when I have written them by hand than if I just have read them through cursorily. I have also read some CD reviews in Greek in the travel magazine Διαδρομές, which I grabbed for free somewhere - and I have spent a lot of time using the texts in it so it was definitely worth grabbing!

GE: Natürlich habe ich auch meinen Fernseher dauernd eingeschaltet, aber meistens ohne Ton. Fast alle Programme sind aber völlig gleichgültig (fast so gleichgültig wie die unzählige Reklamen), und diejenigen, die potentiell interessant sein könnten, sind meistens Wiederholungen. Aber manchmal gibt es einen Gewinn. Im Grunde hasse ich Fernsehen, aber ich behalte mein Apparat, weil es manchmal Dinge gibt, die ich nicht vermissen möchte. Zum Beispiel gibt es fast täglich Sendungen aus Zoologische Gärten (zur Zeit meistens aus Hellabrunn, München, aber oft auch von Leipzig Zoo oder Hagenbeck in Hamburg), und zur Zeit sehe ich auch fast jeden Tag die Sendung "Wer weiß doch so was". Die Fragen hier sollten hier prinzipiell so schwer sein, daß die Mitwirkenden die Antworten nicht kennen könnten ... aber zuweilen gibt es Ausnahmen, wo die Teilnehmer oder ich etwas zufällig weiß.

Zum Beispiel wußte ich (aber die Teams nicht), daß Kaiser Nero Unmengen von Knoblauch aß, um seine Singstimme zu verbessern (und er wurde deshalb als "porrofagus" genannt). Und heute Vormittag konnte ich den Ursprung des Namens 'Oregano' erraten, weil ich wußte, daß "όρη" (ori) in Greek "'Gebirg" bedeutet. Übrigens hat unsere Dänisches Verbrauchertestorganisation (unseres Gegenstück zu TÜF in Deutschland) neulich herausgefunden, daß viele Oregano-Marken zum Teil mit fein gemahlte Blätter von irrelevante Bäumen gemischt sind (bis zu ein Drittel, auch bei Öko-Marken) - Testergebnis (auf Dänisch) hier. "Extra Virgin Olivenöl" is auch meistens gefälscht - es gibt nicht nur keine Jungfrauen drinne, aber oft auch kein "Extra".

FR: La dame sur la peinture c-dessus est inspirée de la peinture "Jeune orphéline au cimétière" de Géricault (prière regardez dessus 'ci-dessus' ci-dessus) - mais ma raison pour le montrer ici est plutôt qu'il y en a des personnes qui mangent. Et la jeune orphéline ne se trouve visiblement PAS dans l'huile 'extra' de leur repas...

Kunst027.JPG

Géricault.jpg
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am

Given the upcoming pilgrimage to the Icelandic harp (the concert house 'Harpa') I probably should have studied some more Icelandic - especially the pronunciation. I have actually studied (and written) texts and done wordlists, but apart from a few sentences in programs about volcanism I haven't listened to spoken Icelandic at all. That isn't good, and it is too late to do much about it, but I am going to try a method I used a few years ago, namely to have a machine (and in this case the machine can only be Google translate) read sentences aloud, one sentence at time. A language course might offer the same service, but I can't stand the idiotic texts and the 'pedagogical' intonation of standard textbook systems. Besides I can make small variations in the texts if I use a machine if I want to highlight a distinction or listen to a specific phoneme in different contexts. For other languages there are systems like A Capela which do the same job, but the otherwise excellent A Capela system doesn't have Icelandic on its language list. And since I don't really believe in the idea of fossilized errors I trust that I can accommodate to the real sound of real human beings speaking ... if I can just pass the treshold of being able to understand the speech. I could just about understand Icelandic during my last visit to Reykjavík in 2009, but eight years is a long time so I think I'm in for a rude awakening this time.

IC: Og hvað hef ég lesið og nemað á íslensku á síðustu dögum? Ég hef lesið ævisaga Guðmunds Björnssons, sem var að verða landslæknir, sigurvegari yfir berklum og kennari fyrir kynslóð lækna á Íslandi. Ég man ekki hvernig ég fann þessa texta, en stigið er mér við hæfi - ég skil meginhluti, en finnar óg ný orð og tjáningu. Og það er flóð af hugmyndafræðilegum tjáningum á íslensku! Eftir tima Guðmunds hefur Ísland fáið eigin háskóla og ég las í gær að á mannfræðideildinni hafi stofnun sem heitir eftir Vigdís Finnbogadóttir (fyrrvaranda forseti Íslands) og verið settur upp fyrir fjöltyngi og menningarfundi. Þessi miðstöð er með eigin byggingu sem heitir "Veröld", og Richard Simcott verður að segja eitthvað yfir 'polyglottar' (fjöltyngt fólk) frá fjölmörgum næstu fimmtudögum. Guðmundur Björnsson þurfti að læra í Kaupmannahöfn vegna þess að það var ekki enn íslenska háskóli, og við eigum enn mikið íslenskar nemendur í danska menntastofnunum.

Ég hef líka eytt nokkrum klukkustundum um að lésa um borgin Reykjavík - þar á meðal hvar matvöruverslunum er staðsett, því ég held ekki að hægt sé að borða mikið á veitingahús - verðlag Íslands er mjög hátt! Hótelverð er óg skelfilegt hátt (þrátt fyrir að mestu lítil herbergi), þótt það séu gestahús með lægra verði. Ég vona að næsta ráðstefna verður haldin í ódýrari borg.

F3833b04_reykjavik-stræto.JPG
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I have now listened a number of Icelandic sentences in Google translate, and it felt like getting your stomach cut open with a rusty knife. But the exercise gave me the information I needed, and I didn't expect more than that. Btw. I had my GT set to translate from Icelandic into Spanish, and the Spanish voice was not nearly as abbrasive. I do understand that Google make the improvements in sound quality first in languages with many speakers and many learners, but they have had this feature enabled in the system for a long time now so I do expect them to get around to rescue Icelandic soon.

After that I have been listen to some rare Basque music, Jesús Guridi's Sinfonia Pyrenaica.

SP: : Hay una cronología y una lista de sus obras en Wikipedia, però estoy seguro de que ningún orquesta fuera de su ciudad haya tocado la sinfonia mencionada desde 1945 cuando fue escrita. Y esa es la ventaja de escuchar obres en YouTube en lugar de ir a los conciertos 'en vivo'. Los conciertos 'en vivo' tienen que tocar obras bien conocidas, de otra manera la audiencia no vendré y no se puede vender boletos, y por consiguiente obtendremos la segunda sinfonía de Brahms y las Cuatro Estaciones de Vivaldi nuevamente por la enésima vez. Qué son las otras obras propuestas en la columna derecha de Youtube? La sinfonia V de Sibelius .. eh bien, obra ben conocida, peró después hay una sinfonia de un cierto Ewald Strasser, unas variaciones del conductor (y compositor) Eugene Goossens, un concierto para violino y orchesta de Wolf-Ferrari (conocido soltanto por un intermezzo .. o talvez no conocido en absoluto), un poema sinfono de Weingartner (quien??), la cuarta sinfonia de Kabalevskij ... etc. etc. Todo un mundo de obras desconocidas se abre cuando se deja la monotonía de los conciertos publicos y la programación de las estaciones de radio y televisón. Yo puedo entender que los jovenes tengan que escuchar las obras más conocidos de los 'grandes' compositores antes de buscar obras todo desconocidas, peró se pierde mucho se si contenta con la música que todos los aficionados conocen.

EDIT: I have now also listened to some authentic Icelandic, namely a ten-minute interview with a lady named Björk - and I tend to believe that I have understood some of it even without looking at the subtitles (it is playing in the background now while I write). Afterwards I'll listen through it again with the subtitles on to check my level understanding. One funny thing is that I before that listened to a clip with two young ladies, one from USA (Bandarríki) and one from Iceland, and the former tried to pronounce some Icelandic words. But the Icelandic lady consistently pronounced Björk as /Björshk/, whereas she is called /Björk/ in the interview and by the gut-wrenching rasping voice in Google Translate. This clashes with my conception of Icelandic as a language with just one dialect, shared by all natives.

PS: I just wish that Björk would stop wailing in the background - it spoils the interview. There is another clip with her as 11 year old, where she reads some old folktale aloud (interrupted by an instrumental group) - that video is much more pleasant to listen to, but doesn't have subtitles.

PS PS: And now I have also listened to Völuspá read in reconstructed Old Norse by Professor Jackson Crawford - and he seems to follow the version given (with an English translation) here. Most of Tolkiens' dwarf names (plus that of Gandalf) are - as you probably know - snatched from verse 10-14 of this poem.

Guridi.jpg
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 am

I saw an interesting zoo programme on TV that you will like. It's called "The Secret life of the zoo" and it's a documentary about Chester Zoo.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... sode-guide
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

When I first tried to watch the videos from Chester Zoo they didn't load (or maybe I just wasn't patient enough), but I didn't see any message about regional restrictions - and I did get one short clip to open. But never mind, I'll try another time.

I have been on an internet-less familie visit, and I have also spent some time on composing one movement more for the brass thing-with-a-bass-drum I mentioned a while ago. But there has also been time for some serious language studying and a couple of Youtube lectures in English.

I have watched (or rather listened to - at least for most of the duration) a lecture by J.Krause about "Ancient human genomes", and luckily it supported the claims I had made in my speech at the Gathering in Bratislava earlier this year, namely that it was a Kurgan tribe named Yamnaya that brought the Indoeuropean languages to Northern Europe, where they developed into the Germanic language family. IIt seems that the Yamanaya and their language actually reached Scandinavia around 2800 BC, where the Megalith culture ended and was replaced by the socalled corded ware culture, but then the big question is whether anything more happened at the onset of the Bronze age around 1800 BC. The lecture did however support the claim that there were three great invasions.

First some blue-eyed dark-skinned hunter-gatherers arrived (at 39:38 in the lecture), and they have still left a lot of their genes in modern Scandinavians, but not much in the populations of Central- and Western Europe - so conceivably they were ousted from there.

Then there was an invasion by short brown-eyed early farmers around 5000 BC (4000 BC in Scandinavia), possibly through Turkey (or somewhere thereabout), and genetically this population is still the dominant one in most of Europe - and I have found a notice that the Basques also arrived at this time - i.e. NOT right after the Ice age. The Sardinians also have genomes that match the early farmers. The Finnish and Same people and their languages probably also belong to this period, but they don't seem to be part of the same invasion.

And finally Europe was invaded by hordes of Indoeuropean-speaking equestrian steppe dwellers from the area to the North of The Black sea (the socalled Kurgan hypothesis). The route of the tribe known as Yamnayas apparently went through Eastern Europe towards Scandinavia and Northern Germany, and eventually their language developed into the Germanic languages. However the percentage of 'Yamnaya' in Southern Europeans is much lower, which suggests that either that the invaders were from some other population or - more likely - that the spread of the Indoeuropean language wasn't as much a conquest as an immigration process. Central Europe was for a long time occupied by the Celts - and they of course lost both their culture and their languages later, but the genomes of the present day inhabitants of their old lands prove that the populations weren't evicted.

I have found the following utterly comprehensible trivia tidbit relating to the protohistory of the Celts: "Genetic studies determined that most of the ancient Celtic men belonged to the Y-DNA haplogroup R1b-S116 and its subclades. Two Early Bronze Age migrations brought the L21 subclade to north-west France and the British Isles, and the DF27 subclade to south-west France and Iberia. The third major Celtic subclade is S28 (aka U152), which is associated with the expansion of the Hallstatt and La Tène Celts, as well as with Italic tribes. " Btw: see also this page from eupedia.com, especially the second map which shows that there is a concentration of the haplogroup R1b in Central- and Western Europe, but also a blob in the middle of Asia and another one in central Africa. How did that happen?? Read the article to get the solution..

Btw: it has been proposed that the true homeland of the Protoindoeuropean language (or languages) wasn't the Kurgan steppes, but Anatolia. OK, possibly it/they did originate there (after all the Hittites lived in Turkey), but the main support for this view comes from a study conducted by non-linguists using statistical methods developed for the analysis of epidemics. A furious counter-attack can be watched here, and it contains some details which don't bode well for the researchers behind that study. For instance they have apparently misplaced a lot of languages and suppressed or forgotten others that might be relevant. And according to their statistics it would have taken some 7000 years for a language wawe to pass from East to West - why? Because they didn't take into account the role of rivers in communication. If rivers are included into the analysis the 'travelling time' will be more than halved, which fits both the archeological and the linguistic facts much better.

Today I wanted to collect some more science tidbits from the excellent Catalan site cienciesanturals.com, which I have mentioned earlier in this trhead - but it seems that it has gone for good - the domain is for sale. Instead I copied and printed some paleontologic texts from others sites, including bestiarifossil.icp.cat, but that doesn't fill the hole left by cienciesnaturals.

Blue-eyed-hunter-gatherers-replaced-by-Yamnaya,Cordedware.jpg
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 pm

You can find it on the "wayback" machine, internet archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171014081958/http://cienciesnaturals.com/
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm

This link points to a replacement page that doesn't contain any of the original articles - and not even articles in Catalan. However it may be possible to find the original content (article by article) somewhere else on web.archive.org.

PS: CAT: Jo vaig llegir un article anomenat "Cromanyó amb una mica de neandertal" en un altre sitio web, ciencia.ara.cat, i almenys aquest lloc encara existeix. Millor s'assegurar d'una pila d'articles d'allà mentre està encara disponible...

neandertal-amb.jpg

I asked earlier today whether 'something more' happened after the demise of the Megalith culture in Scandinavia, leading to the beginning of the Bronze age. And the article from Eupedia actually gives the answer - although it took me some time to get down to it:

The principal Proto-Germanic branch of the Indo-European family tree is R1b-S21 (a.k.a. U106 or M405). This haplogroup is found at high concentrations in the Netherlands and north-west Germany. It is likely that R1b-S21 lineages expanded in this region through a founder effect during the Unetice period, then penetrated into Scandinavia around 1700 BCE (probably alongside R1a-L664), thus creating a new culture, that of the Nordic Bronze Age (1700-500 BCE).

So the original Proto-Proto-Germanic language was apparently formed in the area from the Netherlands to Schleswig-Holstein, and from there it spread into Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia (where presumably a related Indoeuropean language was spoken). But since no linguistic evidence whatsoever exists from this distant period, long before the iron age, this conjecture can only be supported by a combination of archeologic and genetic evidence.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

IC: Ég hef lesið veðurspá fyrir Reykjavík - það verður að rigni á föstudaginn, þar sem ég ætlaði að sjá allar söfn borgarinnar, og óg á mánudaginn þar sem ég vildi fara í Húsdýragarðinn. Það er betra veðurspá fyrir helgina, þar sem ég bara er að fára yfir götuna til Hörpu og kaupa mjólk og brauð fyrir nóttina. Of slæmt! Það besta sem ég get sagt um veðurspá er að textarnar á vefsíðu veðurfræðinganna er hægt að nota sem hlut fyrir rannsókn. Október er Því miður rignríkasti mánuður ársins á Íslandi.

Gade-Reykjavik.jpg

EN: I have also found time to do some reading, including the Battle at Brunanburh in Anglosaxon. With the help of Wikipedia I found the original text on archive.org, a reading in glorious Anglosaxon at Youtube and a translation at catterral.net - but frankly, I find it worrisome that that the source isn't at the homepage of the Georgetown University itself anymore - or rather, it may be there, but like most other Anglosaxon resources it may have been locked down. For instance they have an Anglosaxon dictionary, but outsiders aren't allowed to use it.

And now for something quite different:

POR: Eu busquei o matemático Benoît Mandelbrot no Google, e assim eu vim a ler sobre ele e o seu conjunto na Wikipedia portuguesa. Alguns anos atrás, seus padrões fractais foram vistos em todos os lugares. Já não são tão populares como então, mas não menos interessantes. A fórmula que os define é extremamente simple: Z = Z*Z + C. Você pôde começa2 com Z = 0 e C = 1 (ou qualquer outro número). Insira os valores no lado direito, e então você obtém um novo Z. Insira isso à direita e continue, até que a sua cabeça explodir. Você também pode dar C outros valores, e tudo será realmente divertido ao usar números complexos, pois sômente então você obtém o famosos monstros bidimensionais, os quais se pode continuar a ampliar e ampliar, e eles se tornam repetidamente exibindo novos padrões do mesmo tipo que a moeda global.

Os colibris da pintura abaixo apenas vieram voando - eles não fazem parte de nenhum Mandelbrot. A senhora está sendo transformada num fractal - a idéia deriva da mitologia grega (e das "Metamorfoses" de Ovídio), onde se transforma incessantemente ninfas de maneira que elas podem evitar que o deus Zeus as acaricien. Teria sido mais eficiente transformar Zeus.

Kunst194.JPG
0 x

Return to “Language logs”