Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby DaveAgain » Tue May 31, 2022 3:02 pm

Iversen wrote:EN: I have also made some notes from some of my dreams.
I'm reading Ernst Junger Lesebuch at the moment, on p.31 Mr Jünger is quoted saying that Auf den Marmorklippen came to him in a dream.
...in einer Nacht die ganze Geschichte gesehen und erlebt
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:14 am

Back home again from a family visit, where I used the January 2014 issue of "Muy interesante" as my goodnight reading, a Spanish popular science magazine and member of a whole family of such magazines. Since the main purpose of reading in bed is to convince my brain that it will have an easier time if it permits me to fall asleep fast I haven't read many pages yet, but among those I did get through were some that elucidated the concept of parallel universes. This is actually a scientific notion, but most references to it are plainly esoteric and have little to do with the ideas of the learned ones (although you have to admit that some of these ideas also seem rather weird). I have actually written about the topic once long ago, and back then it was in connection with the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

The point is that quantum mechanics puts a limit on not only what we know, but on what CAN be known about the world. The crucial image is the one of Schrödinger's cat. It's hidden inside a box, and a mechanism at the quantum level decides whether it's killed or not. The claim is now that you can't know whether it's dead or alive without opening the box, and in the strict Copenhagenish inerpretation (formulated by Bohr) that piece of knowledge actually doesn't exist at all before you open the box - you can only assess a probability. And there are some research results that against expectation seem to support this. But it seems contrafactual and against all logic that such a piece of information only collapses into existence if a researcher does a measurement - would the universe then not have existed if there weren't any sentient beings (read: scientists) in it?

One solution to this problem could be to say that you don't create the fact that the critter is dead by opening the box, but rather that you discover that you are placed in one of several possible universes if you open the box and see a dead cat - in another universe (to which you don't have access) it would be alive - and very angry! But that would mean that an insane lot of parallel universes should be created continuously if any event with more than one outcome would create several almost identical universes, albeit with varying likelihoods. It's similar to the situation with time travels backwards: if you could travel back in time an kill your parents you should in principle cease to exist - but that would be impossible in a univers where you didn't exist at all at any time. However logically there must have been at least one where you did exist until you took that timetrip, and nobody ever heard from you again, and another where you returned to find that you didn't exist before the return of the Tardis.

Kunst052.jpg

SP: En otro contexto, los universos paralelos siempre han estado ahí. En la teoría de cuerdas, algunos eruditos matemáticos han descubierto que sus ecuaciones se pueden resolverse repentinamente solamente si hay once dimensiones. Bueno, conocemos los ejes x, y, z, y señor Einstein agregó el tiempo como numero 4, pero se supone que la mayoría de las nuevas dimensiones estarían arrugadas y nadie tiene el minimo idea de para qué sierven las dimensiones arrugadas - además de ocultistas y 'expertos' de extraterrestres que sugieren que aquellos vienen de otro mundo situado a poca distancia de nosotros en una de las dimensiones rizadas, pero inaccesible para nosotros. Pero esto es puro majaderías. En el mundo cientifico las teorías de cuerdas se han evolucionado hasta convertirse en teorías de 'branas' (una brana o hoja per universo), pero aquí ningún pequeños seres verdes o grises pueden saltar entre ellas. Ni bigfootes... Y finalmente están hay las teorías que asumen que nuestro universo es una entre innumerables burbujas en un multiverso que siempre ha existido y no tiene fin. Peró he escribido ya demasiado..

Kunst000.JPG

And by the way: today I first studied the first half of the Ukrainian Wikipedia article about the the Middle Ages, and after that I have started a comprehensive Ukrainian wordlist from the back of the alfabet (я) - normally I start from the other end, and the result is that I know the words from the first half of the alfabet better than those from the second half.

PLATT: PS: dat Beld baven illustreert in der Daat een Poor Vertellens vün Franz Kafka, doorunner een mit een lebennig Katt, wegen dat ik keen Beld höff mit 'n Katt dat villicht dood is.

EDIT 02/06-22 at 8:00: timetravel logic revised
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:24 pm

UK : .. а сьогодні кілька українських слів:

UKR1.jpg

UKR2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:10 pm

I have spent some of my time on languages since the message above - first by making a Polish wordlist, then by reading most of an issue of the French popular science magazine "Science et vie". But then I succombed to the allure of another hobby: Ithought that it might be easy to make an overview over the Cartilaginous 'fish'. Actually you shouldn't use the word 'fish' because the cladistic distance between a guitar 'fish' and a cod is wider than the distance between the cod and a human being - but it's hard to wipe out old habits. But to prepare for the sharks and rays and chimerae I had to go back to the Cambrian and the Burgess Shield and pick the most inconspicuous critter in the lot, Pikaia, which may be the first animal with a string in the back which later would develop into a proper backbone. And if it wasn't the first, then it must have been fairly close to our real ancestor. It took a few inventions to create us - like jaws, which apparently were created by reprogramming some of the pharyngeal arches that supported the gills of jawless 'fish'. It's ironical that the one film that has done most harm to the poor innocent sharks was called "Jaws"...

OK, I made one Word file for everything from Pikaia to the invention of jaws, and another from jaws to the ray-finned fishes (polarly knwn as "Bone fish", but there is actually a specific species with that name). There are almost 1000 Cartilaginous species in the world today, but I don't know how I'll find time to do the same exercise with the ray-finned fishes - 27,000 species according to current estimates. I'll have to lower the percentages of species that are included in my overview!

The next couple of days I'll be away from from my computer so luckily I can't be lured into starting the process with the ray-finned, but on the other hand I'll also have problems studying languages since I can't bring along my collection of dictionaries and magazines. I will however bring along the issue of "Muy interesante" which I mentioned a couple of days ago and maybe also some of my old bilingual printouts, but I can't study as intensively as here in my own flat.

F6129a06 Dunkleostereus. Megalodon (Den Blå Planet).jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:26 pm

I have been on a familie visit again, and this time I used the rest of my "Muy Interesante" as goodnight reading - and finished it. In principle is it not a hard job to read such a magazine, and if I buy one I can read it in less than an hour. But the purpose of reading something in bed is not to to be entertained, but to get sleepy - and therefore it is rare that I read more than 10-15 minutes. But now I have finished that magazine for the second time.

SP: Entre los artículos más extensos, había uno que podría parecer un poco provocativo para algunos: un rechazo total al aseveración que hayan personas que podrian quedar discapacitadas por la energía de los teléfonos celulares, líneas aéreas o televisores y otros electrodomésticos. Las personas que creen que les molestan las ondas de radio fueron ejemplificadas por una señora que no tenía electricidad en su casa y solo salía a la calle con un sombrero plateado - terminó suicidándose. Y fue más que sugerido que el tratamiento psiquiátrico podría ser más relevante que los cambios físicos en el entorno. Se mencionó que casi todos los estudios científicos niegan que pueda darse una influencia real de las ondas de radio, y se determinó que siete publicaciones que estaban excepciones a esta regla eran al borde de la incompetencia. Pero, ¿es realistico que se puede evitar que la gente se queje de las ondas de radio solo por ler algo en una periódico? Probablemente no.

EN: I also did some new French wordlists and repetitions of the Greek ones from earlier visits - we had one rainy day, and otherwise I would probably have been doing a bit of gardening instead (I have plastered my Mother's garden with rhododendrons and other flowering plants, and now I'm fighting the weeds). And when I came home I had planned to do some studying, but I fell into a trap: I knew that the number of species of cartilaginous 'fish' and their jawless predecessors was relatively limited so as I wrote above I did one wordfile with a selection o such critters last week. But being a bit spineless ("rygrad som en regnorm" or "som kogt spaghetti" as we say in Danish) I succombed to the temptation of doing a similar job for the most primitive rayfinned fish, starting with the Polypteriformes (bichirs and their kind) and ending after 35 pages with the Anguilliformes (eels and their relatives) - andd at the same time I learn a lot of English (and Latin) words, albeit from a fairly specialized field.

Pelican eel-Adayinthedeep.jpg

My work the next couple of weeks is laid nicely out in the clados for the Teleostei (including the second cladogram for the Percomorpha, which seems to be the most scary). I have however already discovered that I'll need also to consult the Spanish wikipedia: the English page for the Gobiidae with some 2000 species hasn't got links to the relevant subgroups, let alone a genus list or cladogram, but I found out that there is an adequate list of genera in the Spanish Wikipedia, and from there I can get back to the English pages for one subgroup at a time - I have chosen to use Latin and English names for the species, not Spanish nor Danish ones for the simple reason that they don't cover the ground, so I can't just switch to Spanish names.

And by the way, I have also found time to do a little bit of text studying: some time ago I made some printouts from the Ukrainian Wikipedia about the the Middle Ages, and I have spelled my way through about half of it. And as a follow-up on this I have made pauses in my species collection to read a few articles in Ukrainian and a few other languages about some of the animal groups I have been reading about in English - like for instance the short one in Ukraninian about the Siluriformes (Сомоподібні = "catfish" in English, "maller" in Danish") plus a much longer one about pelican eels in Russian - and I'm pleased to see that my studies until now seem to be sufficient to give me access to articles about simple topics like ichtyological nomenclature in Ukrainian. I can't speak the language, but if I at least can learn to read it then it'll be enough ... for a start.

F2410a04_catfish carcass_Okavango.jpg
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:33 am

IT: Ieri ho detto che la Wikipedia in inglese a volte non è la più informativa, e giá scrisse ieri che la Wikipedia spagnuola in un caso aveva le informazioni mancanti della versione inglese. Mi sono appena imbattuto in un nuovo esempio. Stavo studiando gli antenati della (tra l'altro) aringa, e c'era una tassonomia in inglese/latino per l'intero gruppo (o coorte) Otocephala, ma il colore rosso indicava che nessuno si era sentito chiamato a scrivere una lista delle specie più antiche del Cretaceo. In tali casi, ovviamente, uso Google sul nome dell'articolo mancante, e qui ho visto dei riferimenti alla Wikipedia italiana - e così ho trovato un articolo con tutti i nomi che mi mancavano nella versione inglese. Vale a dire, c'è stato un entusiasto paleontologo italiano che ha scritto qualcosa proprio su questo gruppo, ma (probabilmente) non sul resto dei pesci estinti - devi cercarli prima su Wikipedia in inglese, poi su Google - è quasi come andarse alla ricerca di fossili sul campo!

SW: Det påminner mig för övrigt om ett annat fenomen: när jag letade efter fåglar och käklösa fiskar och broskfiskar i engelska Wikipedian hittade jag oftare 'svenska' på listan över språk som erbjuds enn 'danska', och det måste bero på att det finns några enstaka entusiaster i Sverige på de områdena, men inte i Danmark – och Wikipedia är som bekant skriven av frivilliga nördar. Och det saknades tydligen en engelskspråkig nördissimus med ett speciellt intresse för utdöda sill.

Sorbinichtys.jpg

EN: PS: my apologies to ye Anglophones for not writing this message in English, but I couldn't keep up my skills in other languages if I always and only catered for the Anglophone segment here. And these days I spend far too much time reading English stuff...
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:55 pm

I'm still buried to my neck in ichtyology, but I have 'done' some of the big lumps - like the 3000+ carp species (out of more than 30.000 fishes). I'm still in awe that it now is possible the run through all those animal names on the internet for free - I grew up in a long gone past tense where I had to make do with the books in the local library plus those that I could persuade it to order from other libraries.

When I did the birds and mammals I expected to get an English 'common name' plus a photo for each and every species. Not so with fishes - especially those that live outside North America and other Anglophone areas. So for the majority of all the myriads of small inconspicuous fish that live in the rivers of South America I just have the scientific Latin names, and the taxonomic structure is still under scrutiny by the learned ones. One surprise is that the English Wikipedia isn't always the best - it's the one that contains my beloved cladogrammes, and it's the most complete, but in many cases it just contains red links to non-existing articles about concrete species. But then I discovered that the Spanish (and sometimes the Catalan and in one case the Dutch) versions had articles with for instance information about the ranges and sizes - so then I had to check the English version for Anglophone 'common names', but get the range and other relevant information from the Spanish Wikipedia. And in most cases I didn't find the illustrations in Wikipedia, but had to do a Google search or consult one of the overview portals (Like the fishbase, where you need to have the relevant Latin names ready to get to the goodies). Actually even those sources couldn't give me pictures of all the fish species in the world - and then I wonder how (and where) the field zoologists who work their asses off in the jungles and deserts of this world to discover new critters get their control data - after all they have to check whether anybody else has seen their assumed discovery before them.

And languages? Well, I do read stuff in my bed, and for the time being it is a French "Science et Vie" from 2013, which among other things tell about vagabonding stars and the murder of Ramses III (which also has been discussed in a TV documentary). His mummy was discovered along with mummies of other famous faraos in one single grave in 1871/81, but only in 2012 it was revealed that the farao's head almost had been severed from the body by his murderer, and only then the content of some old Egyptian court documents was confirmed: the murderer was apparently one of his sons, and as a bonus it now is almost certain that the strange 'screaming mummy' was precisely that son - Pentawere. The irony is that his body has been preserved even better than his father's, even though he wasn't properly mummified.

Penthawere.jpg

FR: Le magazine dit aussi que les plantes pensent et que les pilules contraceptives des 3e et 4e générations sont plus nocives, mais ne fonctionnent mieux que celles de la 2e génération - mais il y a aussi un article sur le fonctionnement du cerveau, et c'est probablement celui qui a le plus à voir avec le phénomène de la langue. La thèse générale, c'est que derrière l'idée de quelque chose de concret, il se trouve toujours une idée abstraite, et ... le nombre de celles-ci est prétendument limité à précisement 1705 "étiquettes". Hein?? La structure hiérarchique de nos idées (et donc de nos mots) semble plausible, mais qu'il y aurait un certain nombre d'étiquettes dans le cerveau de chaque être humain, et que ce soit le même nombre chez tout le monde, cela ne me semble pas très plausible.

Le_Cerveau.jpg
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Once again I have visited my mother, but there was one new circumstance about this visit: her old fridge couldn't keep a low temperature, and it didn't react to attempts to turn the temperature down so it had to go, and I had to be there when the new one arrived. And what has that to do with language, you may ask? Well, quite a lot actually: like many other similar electrical apparatuses this fridge came with a multilingual manual and warrenty (or rather a disclaimer of warranty), and I used that as goodnight reading. Among the languages I have studied I had most problems reading the Polish version, but it still was within reach - and when I read it in conjunction with of the other versions I could understand it. And if you wonder why there is so much German yoghurt it's because I was offered a ride to Harrislee just South of the Danish-German border, where food is cheaper and the yoghurt is 'cremig'.

GE: Und warum so wenig Gemüse: weil es sich im Gefrierfach Tonnenweise von gefrorenen Erbsen, Mais, Bohnen und Pommes Frites befinden sowie ganze Tüten mit ungenießbarez Zeug wie Rosenkohl und Spinat. Meine Mutter hat auch eine separate Gefriertruhe, die nur gefrorene Beeren enthält - aber viele davon, weil sie in seinem Garten einige ertragreiche Beerensträucher und Plaumenbäume hat. Um das Chaos zu beseitigen, habe ich kiloweise selbstgemachte Marmelade gemacht und neuerdings auch Rotegrütze gekocht (was schneller verschwindet als Marmelade), aber ich sehe an den Büschen, daß sie sich binnen Wochen auf noch einen Tsunami von schwarzen Johannisbeeren und Johannisbeeren und Himbeeren und Jostbeeren und Pflaumen vorbereiten. Und dann habe ich wieder ein Problem. Letztes Jahr habe ich viel über Marmeladenherstellung geschrieben, und es ist nicht auszuschließen, daß dieses Thema nochmals hier auftaucht.

Platt: Ik höff butendem een Artikel över de Rhien vun de Neederdüütsche Wikipedia als Goode-Nacht Lektüür leest - plus klenere Artikels över elke vun sien Nebenströöme, so wie de Main un de Mosel. Dorto noch een Artikel över Koblenz op Platt un een över Sumatra op Frysk - wenn ok ik düsse Sprook nich höff studeert, güng't problemloos.

nyt_køleskab.jpg
7 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:29 am

In Denmark you can right now buy tickets that give you free transport on public trains and busses for a week, and I'm right now driving around on on of those. The trouble is that these tickets also have been for sale the last two years, and because of corona and my mother's health I have stayed inside this tiny country since February 2022 (apart from one week in Germany in December 2021), and I feel I have seen everything by now - so I went to Copenhagen and took the train to Malmö just across Øresund in Sweden just to hear another language. And there I bought a day ticket to the local Pågå-trains and visited a couple of other towns in Skåne. I have of course also seen those towns before, but so long ago that the banknotes I didn'd use back then have become obsolete in the meantime. Nevermind, many places in Sweden simply don't accept cash any more...

I was at first somewhat disappointed with the channel selection on my TV at the hotel - apart from Sky News it only had Swedish TV, and even the socalled "Kundskabskanalen" ('knowledge channel') was mostly an insipid concoction of political correctness and boredom - not much hardcore knowledge there. But then I discovered that the TV also gave acces to Youtube videos, and my evenings (and to some extent nights) were saved. I watched a number of videos from Ecolinguist's channel - those where people try to understand the languages of each other - but only those ones where the speak those languages, not the ones where they resort to speaking English in between - I simply refuse to watch those. I also watched Anglophone videos about Orrorin, a prehominid who begin to stand upright even before it had left the trees 6 mio. years ago, and another about the looks of the Yamnaya which also gave a lot of interesting information about these tribes who in all likelihood brought the Indoeuropean languages to Europe some 5000 years ago. But from one of the Ecolinguist videos with Scorpio Martinus and some Latin challenges I ended up with an hourlong ..

LA: .. conversatio quae tenebat ille cum "Irene" (Satura Lanx) in lingua latina, et mihi valde placuit audire autos duos oratores plane fluentes. Postea altram conversationem inter Saturam Lancem et Carlam Hurtem ex Australia audivi. Ego hodie non multe in lingua latine lego, et etiam minus frequente linguam audio, sed post aliquot horas sermonem latinam auscultandum omnia facilius intellectu mihi paruit.

SW: Huvudattraktionen i Malmö är det gamla slottet Malmöhus, där det finns sparsamt möblerade historiska salar samt hemska fängelsehistorier i den äldsta flygeln, men i den nya flygel mittemot finns ett omfattande akvarium i källaren, biologiska samlingar på bottenvåningen, konstutställinger på våningarna ovanför ock dessutom en restaurang där jag åt rödspättafiléer med potatis. Och biljetten gäller även till museet för teknik och sjöfart snett mitt emot slottet. Men annars är staden mest känd för gängrelaterade mord och våld i förorterna.

FR: D'ailleurs, le Danemark est ravagé ces jours-ci par des bandes de cyclistes accompagnés de leurs troupes auxiliaires et des foules de spectateurs insensés - on nous a exposeé à une maladie nommé "tour de France" qui durera trois jours. La principale liaison entre les régions danoises via le pont du Grand Belt a été bloquée aujourd'hui en raison de cet évènement, et les trains ont été pleins à ras-le-bol tout le jour - aucun siège libre. Néanmoins il faut que j'aille le plus rapidement possible la maison de ma mère aujourd'hui, puisque les routes vers et depuis sa maison seront bloquées demain par de gros blocs de béton -et des fous dressé en lycra - et Je doute que son aide ménagère puisse franchir les obstacles demain à cause de ce debâcle totalement superflu.

IreneLuciusque.jpg
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:22 pm

SP: Mi lectura de buenas noches actualmente es la revista "Investigación y Ciencia" de enero de 2015. Va por etapas porque me enduermo (uno de los propósitos de leer en la cama). Más adelante en la revista hay un artículo sobre los resultados de la expedición de Rosetta a las regiones exteriores del sistema solar y otra sobre las lenguas andinas, pero aún no he llegado a ellas. He leído un artículo sobre el envejecimiento del sistema inmunitario, donde se sugirió que se puede detener el proceso de debilización bloqueando ciertas enzimas, pero la pregunta es cuándo (si alguna vez) será aplicable en la práctica. ¿Y entonces deberíamos enviar a todos los sanos y frescos de regreso al mercado laboral para no caer bajo la carga financiera de pagar sus pensiones ? También hay un artículo extenso sobre el cerebro del meditador. Se hace una distinción entre meditación enfocada, "mindfullness" y una tercera categoría definida de manera mas difusa - pero no se dice nada sobre la percepción popular de la meditación como algo relacionado con sentarse en posiciones extrañas durante horas (yoga). Me recuerdo que en una calle de Malmö vi un anuncio de una "escuela de respiración", como si tuviera que aprenderse desde cero - OK, tal vez la idea no está tanto loca como se parece, pero sin embargo no pretendo solicitar la admisión ah. En general, los autores sugieren que la meditación es saludable... me hubiera asombrado si la conclusión fuera que uno se enferma o vuelve extraño y asocial y pierde su tiempo.

Yoga.JPG

EN: Apart from that I have spent several hours organizing the photos I have taken during the last couple of days where I have been travelling around on a free-transport ticket, I have made stereo versions of three of my old paintings and on top of that I have bought a new computer and a hot spot thingy which potentially could solve the problem with the lack of internet connection at my mother's place. The problem is that I haven't got the faintest idea about how you activate it and put a code on it so that others can't steal my bandwidth, so there is something I have to study - and I have to study it now because my old computer is right now being locked out of many important homepages like for instance my home banking system. Therefore I simply haven't had time to do intensive language studies - actually I have not even found time to do the last two fish files in my ichtyological project (Ovalantaria and Euparcaria), which shows how busy I am. But luckily things look better on the extensive reading front since I currently spend a lot of time on public transport, and I carry a couple of small language guides and a TY Latin from 1957 in my luggage.

Psykologi.JPG
3 x

Return to “Language logs”