Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:16 am

Since yesterday I have written wordlists of 60-65 words each for Portuguese, Castilian, Catalan, Italian, Romanian, Albanian and Greek, but still not done the repetitions for any of them, nor for Old or New French, so that's my next task before doing wordlists for the Slavic languages etc.

I have not mentioned my Monday language exchange at the library, but here comes: we were 5 persons. One girl would like to train her Russian, another her French, but one elderly lady in the company was only interested in English because - as she said - she wanted to focus her remaining brain powers on one foreign language. And then we ended up speaking English - except for a short period where two of us sneaked away to speak French at another table. Two girls passed by who wanted to speak German, but they left because we were speaking English at the only active table. And the Spanish speaking lady and the Spanish speaker in spe from last week who had said they definitely would turn up this week too didn't show up. This just goes to show how difficult it is to organize anything of this sort if you don't have a stable core of people who try to turn up every time.

Kunst177.JPG
Kunst177.JPG (28.69 KiB) Viewed 138 times

PS at 17:20: and now I have also done the reps for all the Romance languages. Albanian and Greek must wait until later. I'm going downtown to discuss art with some people from New York at our local art museum now.
4 x

alaart
Languages: German (N), English, Dutch (B1), Portuguese (B1), Japanese (B1), Chinese (B1)

Postby alaart » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Iversen wrote:I have not mentioned my Monday language exchange at the library, but here comes: we were 5 persons. One girl would like to train her Russian, another her French, but one elderly lady in the company was only interested in English because - as she said - she wanted to focus her remaining brain powers on one foreign language. And then we ended up speaking English - except for a short period where two of us sneaked away to speak French at another table. Two girls passed by who wanted to speak German, but they left because we were speaking English at the only active table. And the Spanish speaking lady and the Spanish speaker in spe from last week who had said they definitely would turn up this week too didn't show up. This just goes to show how difficult it is to organize anything of this sort if you don't have a stable core of people who try to turn up every time.

Maybe try offering your local language?
Here in Leipzig, Germany, at the weekly local language exchange they made a German table and spread this to the language schools. And so a lot of foreigners trying to integrate and life in Germany come and practice German. And this in return gives other learners access to speakers from foreign languages.

I cannot claim that it functions optimal, most foreigners are Arabic or Turkish, whereas the Germans coming are more interested in French and Spanish, but still - other language tables emerge, and it is usually a wild mix of nationalities and it can be pretty fun. When I go, I would usually go and sit at the German table though, as the languages I do speak are rarely present.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Actually I have several been sitting with an immigrant who wanted to practice his Danish, and I hope that I at least could be of assistance in that sitaution. But Denmark is full of Danes, and immigrants and foreign workers should be able to find opportunities to talk to one of them. I have actually during the last couple of sessions helped newbees practice their foreign languages, and I feel I do a more relevant service in that situation. And sometimes we are able to have a real, fluent conversation, and that's of course what I personally hope will happen - but again, helping a newbee in for instance German or Spanish is more rewarding for me than speaking Danish with newbee learner of Danish - especially since I have yet to meet a newbee whose native language was one of those I try to learn myself.

Today I actually stopped the music from my computer (where I just have finished the letter R with Julius Engelbert Röntgen and his wife Amanda Röntgen-Maier) in order to listen to a TV program. That has become a rare occurrence since I try to get through my music collection as fast as possible - but it is fairly comprehensive so my goal is just to reach the end here in 2019. But then Swedish TV had a program which I simply couldn't bear NOT to hear:

IC: Það var útsending frá sænsku sjónvarpi en með dagskrá frá Íslandi þar sem voru viðtöl við ólíka menningarlega persónuleika um daglegt líf þeirra. Til dæmis sat einn viðmælandi og ein söngkona aleinn í hringlaga útisundlaug meðan rétthyrnd sundlaug var svo full af fólki að þau gátu varla hreyft sig. Hún naut einsemdarinnar, en óttaðist að sundlaug hennar yrði lokuð í þágu vatnsrennibraut fyrir börnin. Island hefur auðvitað hin frægu Bláa lónið (hitað með jarðhita), en það var ekki þetta sem við sáum.

IT: Anche ieri ho interrotto temporaneamente l'ascolto della mia collezione musicale, ma questa volta fu per vedere parte del programma di SuperQuark, uno dei pochi programmi su RaiUno che vale la pena vedere.

Since my last message I have done the repetitions for seven Romance languages plus Albanian and Greek. I have decided to postpone the last ten wordlists because there are other things to do, and now it's time to do some of those things .... but not all of my other activities are linguistic. I have just made stereoscopic versions of three of my old paintings, using the method I described a couple of pages ago, and one of them can be seen below. To get the full stereo effect you should look at the left image with you left eye and at the right image with the right ... but since it takes a bit of luck and/or training to achieve this you are welcome just to look at the painting to the right, which is the unedited version.

It was painted way back in the 80s, and at the time I didn't anticipate that I now have a TV channel where you can't see a dog having a poo at the sidewalk without somebody blaming aliens from outer space for the incident.

Kunst097-stereo.jpg
Kunst097-stereo.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 63 times
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 pm

I have been on a family visit with no internet access, but a fair amount of gardening, and as usual my study activity level went down almost to zero - but not quite. Point one: we mostly watch TV with sound, and even though it mostly is TV in Danish there are exceptions. For instance my mother and I watched a German quiz where a team of four persons pose questions to a series of persons who have done something special - like sitting on a motionless onewheeler bike for almost two hours or beign the son of the man who invented the German alarm calls 110 and 112. Mostly the team memebrs don't find out what the point is, and I think that one main factor is that they listen too much to the tip given by the quizmaster - and that tip normally only makes sense when tyou ALREADY know the correct answer. And their questions are two specific - like did you made a world record of some kind IN HAMBURG? In this quiz the number of questions is irrelevant so why not first ask whether there is a world record in play at all? The whole thing is a variation on an old game called something like "20 questions to the professor".

There is another German quiz with the same quiz master where two teams get weird questions with three equally unlikely answers. This quiz has one construction error: a team can once in each game ask a member of the public to answer a question. And if there really were an expert among the spectators then it might be possible to get a valid answer (though chances are slim). But most of the people who stand up are rambling fools who just want to say something on national TV, and their guesses are not better than throwing a dice. This feature would in principle be tolerable if the team that got the question could veto the answer - at least that would put the responsable back on the shoulders of the two team members, but no - the answer from the member of public is final, no matter how unfounded it is. And people who admit that they just have guessed are lauded for their bravery. Bravery???

I did however do one thing that smacks of studying: I brought along my "L'Albanais de Poche" from Assimil and used it as goodnight reading. I'm not going to summarize the few pages I got through, but just mention one little curious detail in this language.

The number system is generally quite regular and nice: 1 i një, 2 dy, 3 tre, 4 katër, 5 pesë .... 11 njëmbëdhjetë, 12 dymbëdhjetë... 30 tridhjetë, .. 50 pesëdhjetë ... 100 njëqind, 200 dyqind ... But hey, what about 20 and 40? well, they are 20 njëzet and 40 dyzet. Methinks a remnant of a vigesimal number system, that was replaced by a decimal system borrowed from other languages in the region before the language was ever eevr written down (which happened fairly late)? The weak point in the system seems to be the fractions, and Assimil doesn't explain it sufficiently detailed to show a system. For instance 1/2 can be either "një gjysmë" or "një e gjysmë" (no panic yet), and 1/4 "një çerek" or "një e katërta" (panic starts here). The words for 1/3 aren't given in the text, but 2/3 is "dy të tretat". Of course those readers who read the chapter about the inflection of the substantives will notice that the final -t in "tretat" could be a determinedness marker of the plural, but the same ending could also be the marker of determinedness in of one of the three oblique cases in the singular (gentitive, dative, ablative) - although the preceding vowel then normally would be a or u. Here it is most reasonable to assume that it is a plural ending since the 'article de liaison' (connector) "të" is in the plural. But you have to find this information in the chapter about adjectives.

So either the explaniation about Albanian fractions should have been at least twice as long OR the authors should limit themselves to telling the reader the Albanian names for the most common fractions - quite frankly, WHO (outside Albania and Kosova) needs to know how to say 37/58 in Albanian?

AL: Fotografia më poshtë tregon (ndoshta) orarin e plotë për të gjithë trenat në Shqipëri në vitin 2009. E pashë atë në stacionin hekurudhor të Tiranës.

F3918b05_timetable_albania_trains.jpg
F3918b05_timetable_albania_trains.jpg (24.89 KiB) Viewed 23 times
0 x

Return to “Language logs”