Eriol's Weekly Finnish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Eriol
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (advanced), Current target: Finnish, Past studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, French, Turkish.

Re: Eriol's Weekly Finnish Log

Postby Eriol » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:48 pm

I must admit I have neglected not only my language log in the last few weeks but also my language studies. I have, however, been in Finland and I have done my Anki practice every day. In the last few days I have finally gotten back to working with Suomen mestari 2 and soon the first chapter will be finished.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1183
- New words this week: 21
- Mature words: 996
- Unseen words: 0
1 x

Eriol
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (advanced), Current target: Finnish, Past studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, French, Turkish.

Postby Eriol » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Morgana wrote:
Eriol on 19 May wrote:My Anki statistics:

I'm getting close to a four-digit wordcount in Anki, but I have decided to postpone the celebration until I have 1000 mature words to show. :)
Eriol wrote:My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1183
- New words this week: 21
- Mature words: 996

Have you got any celebrations planned?? :D

It's kind of hard to decide when to celebrate. Was at 1001 yesterday, but now I'm back to 998 again... :?
0 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 pm

This week I continued working with Suomen mestari 2 and finished both chapter 1 and 2. The second book of the series is a lot more challenging than the first, but I like it. There is a lot more content in the exercises.

Now I'm also definitely past the 1000-word mark. (Just a small celebration with my family. :D ) In reality I probably know at least a few hundred more words that I have never added to Anki, but I would say I need to at least double my current words to get even close to functional in the language. And learning words is actually the easy part, I tend to struggle a lot more with some of the grammar points.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1226
- New words this week: 43
- Mature words: 1025
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Unfortunately this was another week with way too little time to study. Just started with chapter 3 of Suomen mestari but didn't even get into the exercises.

However, one interesting thing that happened was that I started reading a tiny book for kids called "Emman esikoulu" ("Emma's preschool"). At first I was really confused because I thought the book was written in some kind of strange colloquial style that I couldn't really get. But it turned out it was actually a library-borrowed book in Meänkieli, which is the language (sometimes classified as a finnish dialect) spoken in the Torne valley at the border between Finland and Sweden. One of the biggest differences between Meänkieli and standard Finnish is that Meänkieli has a lot more loanwords from Swedish.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1248
- New words this week: 22
- Mature words: 1047
0 x

Return to “Language logs”